This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1301 2010-03-30 19:32:37

coolperson
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

I would like to give some advice to people that want to be curator. Please read this.
My first all-time tip is never use this type of perrsuasion:

TOO MANY PEOPLE wrote:

me want be curator!

That will not get you ANYWHERE for one huge reason.

There is a new curator every two weeks, whice means there are only 26 a year. Because of this, the scratch team will choose people that take time in makiong their applications. Sometimes the very deserving people aren't chosen for a long time.

OK, onto the next piece of advice.
Get a bit of knowlege of what you are applying for before you make your post! Far too many people think that they can choose their projects, or that they will ber choosing top loved or somthing. Not going to happen.
And finally, a critical piece of advice:
Put effort into your application, and dont ask every five minutes!

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#1302 2010-03-30 23:20:03

Zachthecat1
Scratcher

I would like to be a scratch curator. I have good prodjets and good taste to choosing which ones deserve to get noticed. Please think about it,

Zachthecat1

Zachthecat1: one cool dude

#1303 2010-03-31 01:33:06

Chrischb
Scratcher

coolperson wrote:

Get a bit of knowlege of what you are applying for before you make your post! Far too many people think that they can choose their projects, or that they will ber choosing top loved or somthing. Not going to happen.

Yeah... I put it into these guidelines:

• Has not been frontpaged
• Is not by a user who frequently is frontpaged
• Has over 50 loveits (unless there are less than 70 views...)
• Has over 400 views

smile

Last edited by Chrischb (2010-03-31 01:33:16)

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#1304 2010-03-31 11:29:26

markyparky56
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

coolperson wrote:

• Has over 400 views

smile

Or you just like their project?

http://j.mp/jgVnTq
Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#1305 2010-03-31 12:04:17

coolperson
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

coolperson wrote:

• Has over 400 views

smile

I agree to both of these. If you enjoy the project, then why not? But if it was top loved a day ago, its not that great of a pick. But if it hasn't been on the front page for a year, then its OK.  smile

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#1306 2010-03-31 14:03:15

markyparky56
Scratcher

coolperson wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

• Has over 400 views

smile

I agree to both of these. If you enjoy the project, then why not? But if it was top loved a day ago, its not that great of a pick. But if it hasn't been on the front page for a year, then its OK.  smile

What if its going to be good, but isn't on the front page yet? Like a brillant new project from ____ who is very popular and is likely to get on the front page, but hasn't yet. What do yuo do then?

Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#1307 2010-03-31 17:00:04

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

coolperson wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

What if its going to be good, but isn't on the front page yet? Like a brillant new project from ____ who is very popular and is likely to get on the front page, but hasn't yet. What do yuo do then?

Since the project is going to get front paged anyway, you should feature a different project - that way, two projects get front paged!

That's just my opinion... I haven't been a curator.  wink

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#1308 2010-03-31 20:44:57

alexrox11
Scratcher

I Would Like To Choose Anime And Different Types Of Manga.  All My Friends Are Amazingly Talented When It Comes To That, But They Never Get Featured.  If I Will Be Chosen To Be A Curator, I Would Feature Their Projects. Thanks In Advance! <3  big_smile

Last edited by alexrox11 (2010-03-31 20:47:36)

#1309 2010-03-31 22:50:14

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

Curators of Scratch

As of 2010-3-31

I   Cheddargirl
II   Toasty
III   Jasb
IV   Keroro645
V   Lanie
VI   Coolstuff
VII   Forest
VIII   Coka
IX   JSO
X   PetVet300
XI   Fullmoon
XII   Penguinsrock
XIII   The Whiz
XIV   Andresmh
XV    SabGames
XVI   ElPapa
XVII    Sparks
XVIII   MyRedNeptune
XIX  TreacLE_24
XX   Illusionist
XXI   Coolperson
XXII   Scmb1
XXIII   Greenflash
XXIV   Chrischb

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#1310 2010-03-31 22:54:45

Chrischb
Scratcher

Hooray, 24 is a fun number.  tongue

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#1311 2010-03-31 22:58:17

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

Chrischb wrote:

Hooray, 24 is a fun number.  tongue

I got 20!!!  lol

tongue

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#1312 2010-04-02 00:31:36

sweetgames
Scratcher

I have been on Scratch for a while and have been messing around with different types of games you can make.
I LOVE giving tips to others, in the hopes of helping them improve their programing skills.
I have seen many projects that deserve more then they get, and would love to get them on the front page!

Thank you for reading!

Sweetgames
(Scratch on!)

I am focusing all of my energy right now onto PinkPanda 2.0! To view the current version, click here: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/sweetgames/1266202

#1313 2010-04-02 01:24:31

kayybee
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

kayybee wrote:

To whom it may concern:
      I am interested in becoming a curator for the following reasons:
1. I would like to show interesting, good yet simple projects that I believe should be revealed to the world that currently are not.
2. I would like to make people feel better about their skills on Scratch by making some users get on the front page.
3. I think this is an interesting job and I am curious to receive a job on Scratch.
4. I would like to make new friends and discover projects more often.
I believe I am qualified enough to become a curator for the following reasons:
1. I think I am a very good Scratcher, nevertheless good at evaluating.
2. I can judge the quality of a project not just based on how much I like it, but how much the community would like it and compared to their Scratching skill.
3. Even though I am only 3 months old on Scratch, I have learned an awful lot of things. I learn quickly and I can easily catch onto the curatorship.
4. I can pick a diverse variety of projects and will always make sure there are different types of projects that I curate.
5. I am on Scratch every day and I was on Scratch everyday since I started, so I can view new projects every day.
6. I will not just pick games or art, I will also pick educational projects.
7. I will not just judge projects by how good they are, but how good they are compared to their level.

Thank you for reading this message for the Scratch Team. Please choose me as the next curator. Thank you and Scratch on!
                                                                        -kayybee   smile

That's a nice speech!

And it seems to be written in a unique style.  wink

Its a list of points, sort of like what someone would write when they are going to make a presentation. Which is a good way to do it.

Thanks markyparky56 and Jonathanpb. I don't really get compliments  smile

#1314 2010-04-02 09:45:28

didiboy
Scratcher

I would be a good curator for these reasons:

1. I would only choose very good projects that are not famous.
2. I know a lot about scratch, so I know if it's a good project or not.
3. I will choose a variety of types of projects.
4. I'll judge projects on how much the scratch community would like it, now how much I like it. (For example, if it's a game I really really like, but the community probably won't like it, I won't curate it.)
5. Users that deserve to be famous will be famous, because if I curate their project, more people will see their projects.
6. I'm on scratch every day, and I come around every 2 hours to check out my messages and some projects that deserve to be viewed
7. I would like to one day work a little on scratch (For example, having one of my projects as a sample project), and this would be a starter, right?
8. I would never, EVER, curate a project just because it's my friends. That would be against every moral in my body.
9. If there's someone who made 2 very good projects I want to curate, I'll only choose one, so it would be fair to the others.
10. I will leave each project there for around a day or two, so many projects get more famous. (If it's 2 days each there would be 21 more famous, and 1 each there would be 42 projects more famous).

So, there's ten reasons I think I would be a good curator!

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/didiboy/939697] Mess OS! Awesome game with music, game, Mr. Happy Man, Stick Figures, Itunes and more!
Epic Battle, awesome 1 player or 2 player (Or sandbox) game!

#1315 2010-04-02 21:57:30

DarkMark3
Scratcher

I would like to be scratch curator mainly because I want to show 0 sprite 1 script games, along with really good unknown projects, and last a new scratch 2.0 idea project every-time I come onto scratch.

if I don't become a curator this year, maybe next year!

Scratch On!  big_smile

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7403/vamp3m.gif

#1316 2010-04-03 08:37:59

_Fang_
Scratcher

Hi! I want to be curator because when I first started on scratch, I got about 3 views tops and I was very disappointed. I wanted more views and comments on my projects. If I became curator, I would pick projects of people that were newer to scratch and could use a little more attention to come to the best of their abilities. This is why I want to become a curator.

~~_Fang_~~

yo.
what up.

#1317 2010-04-03 11:13:35

evilmonkey
Scratcher

Hey, evilmonkey here. If i was to be elected curator for scratch, the kind of projects i would pick would be ones with good animation-smooth and not the choppy kind. thanks

#1318 2010-04-04 14:05:48

JIM13243
Scratcher

I would really like to be curator because there are so many great projects out there that nobody knows about. I think i would be good at it and i would have themes. I would pick projects that are unique and fun. Games and animations. Ive noticed that lots of the curators have picked boring projects, not all of them, but lots of them. And i would like to change that. I would pick smooth, good graphics, and addictive projects. I like scrollers, platformers, minute long games, simple games, funny animtions, stuff that teaches you how to do stuff on scratch, and so on. I promis, if you pick me you wont be disapointed. Peace out!

-JIM13243

#1319 2010-04-04 14:35:32

RS1298
Scratcher

I want to be a curator. If i was a curator i would pick only the game that look like they took an really long time to make. I would choose these because there are a lot of good scratchers out there that aren't appreciated.So please choose me to be a curator. Bye for now!!!
smile 
-RS1298

#1320 2010-04-04 19:57:02

parcheesidude
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Check out this vid to see a skiing guy faceplant into a chairlift.

How dare you Rick Roll me!

My signature is trying to find itself :3

#1321 2010-04-05 12:29:51

somelia
Scratcher

I would like to be curator because I'd like to bring good projects back to the front page.
I'm not saying that these "Add yourself dancing to the Tiddlywink song!" ETC. projects are bad, just it kind of gets annoying if those and short animations always are the ones getting frontpage'd.

I like projects of all kinds, and I'd always curate at least 3 different kinds each day.

Interactive stories, OS simulations, animations, games, I love 'em all!

The only thing I will definitely NOT curate are projects with violence toward animals, humans, or anything else! If your project isn't exactly violent, but it's gross, I won't pick it either.

And, if I do get chosen, please don't bug me by saying "O hai! Plz curate all my projects!" or something. That actually probably will decrease the likelihood of that if you do it to anyone!

Oh, and rick roll'd isn't likely to be picked. Sorry.

Last edited by somelia (2010-04-05 12:33:23)

#1322 2010-04-05 18:11:57

llamallama
Scratcher

I would love to become a curator! i would display cool, unknow projects.

#1323 2010-04-06 08:20:41

markyparky56
Scratcher

somelia wrote:

I would like to be curator because I'd like to bring good projects back to the front page.
I'm not saying that these "Add yourself dancing to the Tiddlywink song!" ETC. projects are bad, just it kind of gets annoying if those and short animations always are the ones getting frontpage'd.

I like projects of all kinds, and I'd always curate at least 3 different kinds each day.

Interactive stories, OS simulations, animations, games, I love 'em all!

The only thing I will definitely NOT curate are projects with violence toward animals, humans, or anything else! If your project isn't exactly violent, but it's gross, I won't pick it either.

And, if I do get chosen, please don't bug me by saying "O hai! Plz curate all my projects!" or something. That actually probably will decrease the likelihood of that if you do it to anyone!

Oh, and rick roll'd isn't likely to be picked. Sorry.

Very nice,  smile

#1324 2010-04-06 13:12:03

mrdinosaur
Scratcher

I would love so much to become a curator on Scratch! I love scratch and spend at least 1 hour each day looking for new,awesome projects.  big_smile   Thanks Scratch Team!!

-MrDinosaur

[/blocks]<when green flag clicked>
[/blocks]<loud?>

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/newblack/BuffetSnake008.jpg Add me on XBL! Check out my newest games/animations!

#1325 2010-04-06 13:24:56

boogawk
Scratcher

I would like to be curator because...
1)I am on scratch 24/7, always on the lookout for great projects.
2)I would pick great projects that need more attention.
3)I would pick projects appropriate to the community.

Also I like helping people and I think it would be a great help to people who are starting their programming career (or just for fun!  big_smile ).
I would pick great projects!!!

Thanks Scratch,
boogawk  big_smile

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/boogawk/shadingbanner.jpg

Board footer