This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-06-30 20:39:31

Larry828
Scratcher

empty windows on Project pages

For the past 3 days I've suddenly had problems at Scratch.  Now when I click on the title of a project, its large window appears but none of the small sections (like Comments) has any content!  All I get is the shaded outline of each section with nothing inside.   When I go to My Stuff the page looks fine, with my picture, my projects, my friends and everything displayed as usual.  But if I click on one of my own projects, again I get a page with nothing on it!!  I've tried with Internet Explorer and with Firefox and get the same thing.  Any ideas what's happened?   Thanks!

#2 2007-07-01 01:05:48

natalie
Scratch Team

Re: empty windows on Project pages

Hi Larry,
Are you still having that difficulty? I am able to see your projects. Please let us know through the "Contact us" link  below if you are still having difficulty, and, if so, which system and browser you are using. Thanks.

#3 2007-07-01 17:58:59

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I frequently have projects not start in the java applet.  The download seems to freeze before the box with the "loading..." bar appears.  I can usually get this unstuck by stopping the loading of the page and doing a refresh for the web page.

This behavior has been happening for a few weeks, but not since the beginning of my using the scratch web site, so I suspect that there is a handshaking or timeout problem on downloading Scratch.jar.  When I get a project form my own site, there is a noticeable delay when it checks the MIT site to see if a new Scratch.jar is needed, but not much delay when downloading Scratch.jar from the local machine.

Perhaps the scratch.mit.edu web server is a bit overloaded?  Does the Apache server have a dedicated machine, or is it shared with other services?

#4 2007-07-01 19:57:34

natalie
Scratch Team

Thanks for the possible leads, Kevin. I'll pass them along to others here.

(I also have been encountering blank windows sometimes recently, and have been restarting my browser to get the projects to appear again.)

#5 2007-07-01 20:22:07

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

It seems that Kevin's and Larry's problems are different. Our server is not shared with anyone else though. Thanks for the report Kevin. Does it happen only at certain time of the day? Is it only the first time you load the applet or it varies? I thought the JVM caches the applet, if that's the case, then it shouldn't happen after the first time the applet has been successfully loaded

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#6 2007-07-01 21:20:44

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

The problem is not easily repeatable.  It *may* be only occurring when the Scratch.jar file is not in the cache.

#7 2007-07-02 23:14:32

Larry828
Scratcher

Larry828 wrote:

For the past 3 days I've suddenly had problems at Scratch.  Now when I click on the title of a project, its large window appears but none of the small sections (like Comments) has any content!  All I get is the shaded outline of each section with nothing inside.   When I go to My Stuff the page looks fine, with my picture, my projects, my friends and everything displayed as usual.  But if I click on one of my own projects, again I get a page with nothing on it!!  I've tried with Internet Explorer and with Firefox and get the same thing.  Any ideas what's happened?   Thanks!

After I COMPLETELY uninstalled my security software, and then re-installed it (thus getting rid of the list of things it had blocked for me over time) NO MORE problems!!

The software keeps a list of programs that have various levels of privilege, but doesn't keep a list of programs that have been blocked.  Repeated attempts to download the latest Flash player (the download was blocked each time) showed me the route to solving the various problems I've been having.

Now, I can try peoples' Projects ONLINE!  And when the name of a Project is clicked on, its page shows up with all the information present, instead of just empty boxes.

What a HUGE difference!!

If you run Windows then the combination of security settings are enormous: in one's browser(s) and in one's security software. 

Thanks to everyone who read about the problems!
Larry828

#8 2007-07-02 23:21:24

natalie
Scratch Team

Thank you for posting what resolved the issue for you--that's helpful to know.

Board footer