This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-03-20 20:32:42

scmb1
Scratch Team

Link to the Curator's Stuff Page

When there is a new curator, I always want to look at their Stuff page, just to see what kind of projects they are into making, and stuff like that. It's not to difficult too simply search for their page, but a link would be a nice addition. 

Advantages:
-Allows easy access to the curator's Stuff
-Sort of makes the curator into "The User of the (2)Week(s)," which was suggested a while  back.
-Perhaps helps new users realize that the curator is just a normal member of the community and that they could be curators in the future

Disadvantages:
-Will probably cause more spamming on the curators projects
-Might put more emphasis on the curator than on the projects they curate

Can you think of any more advantages or disadvantages? Do you think there should be a link to the curator's Stuff page?

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#2 2010-03-20 20:50:01

ThePCKid
Scratcher

Re: Link to the Curator's Stuff Page

I support!

#3 2010-03-20 22:37:24

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

scmb1 wrote:

...Might put more emphasis on the curator than on the projects they curate...

They actually used to have this. And that is the exact reason it was removed.

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#4 2010-03-20 23:44:48

scmb1
Scratch Team

illusionist wrote:

scmb1 wrote:

...Might put more emphasis on the curator than on the projects they curate...

They actually used to have this. And that is the exact reason it was removed.

I see...

#5 2010-03-21 10:15:35

coolstuff
Community Moderator

You know, I really think they should bring this back. People are going to go searching for their stuff page anyhow (when I was curator I got about 50x more comments that i usually do) so it doesn't make sense.

#6 2010-03-21 10:53:43

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

coolstuff wrote:

You know, I really think they should bring this back. People are going to go searching for their stuff page anyhow (when I was curator I got about 50x more comments that i usually do) so it doesn't make sense.

Cheddargirl was getting 150+ comments a day when the link was provided.

This is about the selected projects, not the curator's own glory.

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#7 2010-03-21 10:58:57

scmb1
Scratch Team

illusionist wrote:

That would be incredibly annoying. OK, I guess no link is better.

#8 2010-03-21 11:00:42

coolstuff
Community Moderator

illusionist wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Yes, I guess so.

#9 2011-01-17 14:06:37

scimonster
Community Moderator

illusionist wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

i'd like alot more comments + views + loveits + favs on my stuff.
but, it does take attention away from the projects.

#10 2011-01-17 14:16:18

lilacfuzz101
Scratcher

Apparently, they had this feature before, but it led to way to much spam so they took it off.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqaicLrY01r5wdo7o1_500.gif

#11 2011-01-17 20:41:18

kingofdallamas
Scratcher

I don't think it's necessary. People are going to search for the curator anyhow and "spam" their page to possibly have the wins in getting their projects curated. I've seen these often. It's not worth it, but good idea though!

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/Gilgamesh1192/Ninja%20Saga/ElementalJutsus2.gifhttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BoomKaTish/GIF/thgfhgfhfhgf.gif
ハロー友だち!

#12 2011-02-14 07:00:12

scimonster
Community Moderator

I didn't get so much spamming on my projects. It was more the gallery where I put the stuff.  tongue

#13 2011-04-08 08:05:20

lin513
Scratcher

add<direction>

lol

#14 2011-04-08 09:03:02

scimonster
Community Moderator

lin513 wrote:

add<direction>

Is that spam?

#15 2011-04-08 09:07:25

coolstuff
Community Moderator

I believe this used to be the case, but the Scratch Team changed it because it suggested the Curator slot was to be more about the curator themselves than the projects they chose.

#16 2011-04-08 11:11:09

gettysburg11
Scratcher

It isn't a terrible idea, but the disadvantages you listed are why it isn't going to happen.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#17 2011-04-10 10:39:44

thecrazyguy
Scratcher

The Scratch Wiki wrote:

On June 1, 2009, the curator channel slot was finally implemented, with cheddargirl as the first curator. The original title of the curator channel was "Projects Curated by [user]", with [user] being a link to the current curator's user page. This, however, was changed within the first few days after it was discovered that many Scratchers confused the word "curator" with "creator" and were ignoring the projects favorited by the curator. Because the design of the channel title was drawing attention away from the projects selected by the curator, the title was renamed to "Projects Selected by Curator" and the link to the curators user page was removed.

I like pie.

#18 2011-04-10 13:30:26

scimonster
Community Moderator

thecrazyguy wrote:

The Scratch Wiki wrote:

On June 1, 2009, the curator channel slot was finally implemented, with cheddargirl as the first curator. The original title of the curator channel was "Projects Curated by [user]", with [user] being a link to the current curator's user page. This, however, was changed within the first few days after it was discovered that many Scratchers confused the word "curator" with "creator" and were ignoring the projects favorited by the curator. Because the design of the channel title was drawing attention away from the projects selected by the curator, the title was renamed to "Projects Selected by Curator" and the link to the curators user page was removed.

You should requote.

The Awesome Scratch Wiki Editors (it doesn't write itself  tongue ) wrote:

On June 1, 2009, the curator channel slot was finally implemented, with cheddargirl as the first curator. The original title of the curator channel was "Projects Curated by [user]", with [user] being a link to the current curator's user page. This, however, was changed within the first few days after it was discovered that many Scratchers confused the word "curator" with "creator" and were ignoring the projects favorited by the curator.[3][4] Because the design of the channel title was drawing attention away from the projects selected by the curator, the title was renamed to "Projects Selected by Curator" and the link to the curators user page was removed. The current title of the channel is supplemented with a "Learn more" link, which leads to an information page on the Scratch Website explaining the role and position of Scratch curators. Some people want the link to the curator's My Stuff Page.[5]

#19 2011-04-11 01:30:25

Chrischb
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

thecrazyguy wrote:

The Scratch Wiki wrote:

You should requote.

On June 1, 2009, the curator channel slot was finally implemented, with cheddargirl as the first curator. The original title of the curator channel was "Projects Curated by [user]", with [user] being a link to the current curator's user page. This, however, was changed within the first few days after it was discovered that many Scratchers confused the word "curator" with "creator" and were ignoring the projects favorited by the curator.[3][4] Because the design of the channel title was drawing attention away from the projects selected by the curator, the title was renamed to "Projects Selected by Curator" and the link to the curators user page was removed. The current title of the channel is supplemented with a "Learn more" link, which leads to an information page on the Scratch Website explaining the role and position of Scratch curators. Some people want the link to the curator's My Stuff Page.[5]

No, you mean 'The Amazing, Naturally Perfect, Pwnage Diligent Wiki Editors'!  big_smile

It seems kinda odd to me though that people confused it with 'creator'  tongue

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#20 2011-04-11 07:02:18

scimonster
Community Moderator

Chrischb wrote:

scimonster wrote:

thecrazyguy wrote:

You should requote.

No, you mean 'The Amazing, Naturally Perfect, Pwnage Diligent Wiki Editors'!  big_smile

It seems kinda odd to me though that people confused it with 'creator'  tongue

Of course.  tongue

It's not so strange, they sound somewhat alike, and if you're reading fast, it seems like an easy mistake.

#21 2011-04-11 08:13:48

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Great discussion and research into previous implementations of the Curator's area on the front page! 

After a topic like this appears to have run it's course and reached resolution, we  often get a request to close the topic.   We appreciate the concern but will often chose to leave it open - unless it has gone off-course or become inflamed - because you never know when inspiration will strike the next person reading through the forum  smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

Board footer