This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2010-03-08 17:43:13

RHY3756547
Scratcher

Re: iPhone App

OH YES.

:p

#52 2010-03-08 17:46:41

RHY3756547
Scratcher

Let's see if it tops the charts lol.

#53 2010-03-08 18:05:47

RHY3756547
Scratcher

WOAH sea urchin toss works SLOW.

#54 2010-03-08 19:07:33

technoman
Scratcher

For all of you that want an actual programmer and viewer, I am making one. It will include everything Scratch has to offer, improvements, and a whole lot more. It is Open GL ES powered (hard ware driven), so it will be much faster and more powerful than Scratch is (means no lag when adding scripts and no lag playing a game unless it has a ton of onscreen sprites being actively used at once), and will offer so much more. Maybe if I work with the admins, I can get a system that allows my app to be compatible with this website. When it nears time I will release more pics of the app and interface. Also if you have any suggestions for the interface, please tell me, either sending me an email with pictures and explanations of it at SDKTutor@gmail.com or post a thread response to this forum thread: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=31079

Also to the creator of this: way to go! Nice job.

#55 2010-03-08 19:29:42

RHY3756547
Scratcher

technoman wrote:

For all of you that want an actual programmer and viewer, I am making one. It will include everything Scratch has to offer, improvements, and a whole lot more. It is Open GL ES powered (hard ware driven), so it will be much faster and more powerful than Scratch is (means no lag when adding scripts and no lag playing a game unless it has a ton of onscreen sprites being actively used at once), and will offer so much more. Maybe if I work with the admins, I can get a system that allows my app to be compatible with this website. When it nears time I will release more pics of the app and interface. Also if you have any suggestions for the interface, please tell me, either sending me an email with pictures and explanations of it at SDKTutor@gmail.com or post a thread response to this forum thread: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=31079

Sounds awesome. This one will do for now (except for THE SLOW)

Isn't OpenGL only in the 3rd gen and over?

#56 2010-03-08 19:33:51

technoman
Scratcher

RHY3756547 wrote:

technoman wrote:

Sounds awesome. This one will do for now (except for THE SLOW)

Isn't OpenGL only in the 3rd gen and over?

OpenGL ES 2.0 is for 3rd gen and over. It will require at least OpenGL ES 1.0 is everything will be compatible.

#57 2010-03-08 19:46:00

16Skittles
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

08jackt wrote:

lol. Why did everyone think technoman made it? O_O

Because some days before Andres posted this technoman announced he was making a Scratch app for the iPhone.  tongue

yeah. only his is supposed to be a programmer and not exactly scratch. in fact, it's going to be called icode or something. wow. 6 posts were posted in the time it took me to write this...

http://16skittles.tk/sig.png
Are you a student? Check out OnSchedule!

#58 2010-03-08 20:38:57

urhungry
Scratcher

how does it use the arrow keys? are they included? does it read touches as mouse clicks? can it use holding of keys as repeated input? if so, im buying it.

#59 2010-03-09 01:26:56

jmm
Scratcher

Hi, let me introduce myself, I'm John, the software engineer responsible for moving Scratch to the iPhone.  First let me say thanks for all the interest, please ask questions. This week we have started beta-testing 1.1 and will send it to the App store by the weekend, so we welcome feedback. On the iTunes page for the App we do link to our help page, you can review that for basic information.

If you get an fatal error then you have the chance to email us, please do so. If the app just quits and doesn't ask you to email then Apple actually provides us that data at the end of the month for our review. 

To answer the question about arrow keys, in 1.1. we have moved the arrow keys to either side of the landscape view (down/left) (up/right) and added a control for the space bar.  The Arrow keys in 1.0 do repeat, after 0.2 seconds we repeat at 10 times per second. 

Some of you noticed a delay in tapping. This is because the view has to decide if the tap is because you are tapping, or if you want to pinch, stretch or scroll. In 1.1 we will change this to a control that lets you choose the mode so that taps can be sent to the Scratch script without delay.

Speed

I'm afraid the iPhone is in fact a slow device, your desktop computer is at least 40 times faster. We don't see performance problems with the drawing or the sound generation, it's all in the running of the scripts.

If you think you have a problem with sound, please send us a message we do want to know about that since we put a lot of effort into the sound playback logic.  Yes we do know MIDI sounds wrong, that is a platform issue. The iPhone has no MIDI and we fallback to some very basic support, likely that won't have a  solution anytime soon.

So we have looked at some of the performance issues talked about in the App reviews,  but I'm afraid there are no quick solutions. Obviously we welcome additional positive reviews for the app, that generates interest in the app and in the Scratch community.

Some of you have asked about multi-touching, location and acceleration data. All of these require changes to the Scratch programming blocks.  We are providing assistance to the Scratch team to ensure they have a programmable version of the App. Thus they can explore these issues and figure out how best to address them for the Scratch community.

#60 2010-03-09 01:50:24

dethklok52
Scratcher

jmm wrote:

Hi, let me introduce myself, I'm John, the software engineer responsible for moving Scratch to the iPhone.  First let me say thanks for all the interest, please ask questions. This week we have started beta-testing 1.1 and will send it to the App store by the weekend, so we welcome feedback. On the iTunes page for the App we do link to our help page, you can review that for basic information.

If you get an fatal error then you have the chance to email us, please do so. If the app just quits and doesn't ask you to email then Apple actually provides us that data at the end of the month for our review. 

To answer the question about arrow keys, in 1.1. we have moved the arrow keys to either side of the landscape view (down/left) (up/right) and added a control for the space bar.  The Arrow keys in 1.0 do repeat, after 0.2 seconds we repeat at 10 times per second. 

Some of you noticed a delay in tapping. This is because the view has to decide if the tap is because you are tapping, or if you want to pinch, stretch or scroll. In 1.1 we will change this to a control that lets you choose the mode so that taps can be sent to the Scratch script without delay.

Speed

I'm afraid the iPhone is in fact a slow device, your desktop computer is at least 40 times faster. We don't see performance problems with the drawing or the sound generation, it's all in the running of the scripts.

If you think you have a problem with sound, please send us a message we do want to know about that since we put a lot of effort into the sound playback logic.  Yes we do know MIDI sounds wrong, that is a platform issue. The iPhone has no MIDI and we fallback to some very basic support, likely that won't have a  solution anytime soon.

So we have looked at some of the performance issues talked about in the App reviews,  but I'm afraid there are no quick solutions. Obviously we welcome additional positive reviews for the app, that generates interest in the app and in the Scratch community.

Some of you have asked about multi-touching, location and acceleration data. All of these require changes to the Scratch programming blocks.  We are providing assistance to the Scratch team to ensure they have a programmable version of the App. Thus they can explore these issues and figure out how best to address them for the Scratch community.

Kudos to you my friend,though can you lower the price?I have it already but some scratchers don't really have an itunes money.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/Dethmugen/anon.jpg

#61 2010-03-09 02:02:01

urhungry
Scratcher

jmm wrote:

Speed

I'm planning to buy it tommarrow. I think it could be better at 1.99, but I'm willing to pay the current price. If it has a landscape spacebar that would be fabulous, and would be enough to get me to buy it. Thanks for making this!

Last edited by urhungry (2010-03-09 02:03:46)

#62 2010-03-09 02:05:04

jmm
Scratcher

dethklok52 wrote:

Kudos to you my friend,though can you lower the price?I have it already but some scratchers don't really have an itunes money.

We knocked a $ off earlier this evening.

The Scratch team has some 30 day promo codes, but I don't think they've figured out what to do with them yet. No doubt because of this message, they'll now get to discuss that over coffee in the morning as they wander about in that splendid new building some of them just moved into.

#63 2010-03-09 02:15:05

jmm
Scratcher

urhungry wrote:

I'm planning to buy it tommarrow. I think it could be better at 1.99, but I'm willing to pay the current price. If it has a landscape spacebar that would be fabulous, and would be enough to get me to buy it. Thanks for making this!

The landscape space bar will be in 1.1 in about a week, updates thru the Apple App store are always free.

Let me ask do you need the space bar to repeat?

In portait mode when you bring up the keyboard the keys don't repeat, that just is how the UI works, the iPhone doesn't have the concept of holding down a key to repeat. To work around that we have to do something special, like for the arrow keys.

In my discussions with the Scratch team I've mentioned that project creators have to think a bit about the limitations and work around them to make a Scratch project that runs well on the iPhone.

#64 2010-03-09 02:15:58

urhungry
Scratcher

I noticed the missing dollar. I was glad I didn't buy it yet.
Edit: just saw the reply to me. Repeating spacebar would be good, could you possibly have an option to have it repeat or not, and how fast it does? Thanks!

Last edited by urhungry (2010-03-09 02:19:09)

#65 2010-03-09 02:24:50

jmm
Scratcher

urhungry wrote:

I noticed the missing dollar. I was glad I didn't buy it yet.
Edit: just saw the reply to me. Repeating spacebar would be good, could you possibly have an option to have it repeat or not, and how fast it does? Thanks!

10 times a second? If someone can supply a project that would tell me the key press repeat rate per second that would be extremely helpful. Right now we've chosen 10 times per second, but we're not sure if the scripts actually can process them that fast.

There isn't room on the landscape view to offer a choice between repeat or not, but we'll add it as an App Setting then.

#66 2010-03-09 03:18:47

Jens
Scratcher

Hi John,

this is wonderful. You're a genius!

I bought the app first thing yesterday, and I do love it! I've noticed that my - 3G - iPhone virtually always pops up the wait/reset dialog, even if the project is just a small one. I understand that this is just a timeout, and that you're not checking loading / tuple conversion progress ("herding cats" lol!), which might give a more accurate impression. Another idea would be the let users specify the timeout, i.e. make it longer (I'd gladly set it to more ).

Another thing that I noticed is that your app is, in fact, a complete Scratch image, with editor and all (at one point the app accidentally switched into edit mode). You're also deploying the whole set of sample projects, backgrounds, images, sounds, and even translation resources with the app. Now, how cool is that ?! This, of course, provokes the obvious follow-up questions:

What's keeping you from letting us create and edit Scratch projects on the iPhone? is it Apple's "no programming language" policy? Or are you just waiting for a bigger screen (the iPad) ?  smile .

It would be cool if you could save downloaded projects locally and run them without internet connection, or if you could transfer otherwise downloaded projects via iTunes to the iPhone. That way we could demo this app better in places with bad internet connection (many schools, unfortunately).

Oh, and can you please do the same for BYOB  smile

Jens Mönig

#67 2010-03-09 03:25:40

dethklok52
Scratcher

Theres always jailbreaking your iphone, but that ruins the warranty  sad  but jailbreaking unlocks so much more possibilities.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/Dethmugen/anon.jpg

#68 2010-03-09 10:49:47

urhungry
Scratcher

If it has a full scratch image on it, if you would allow access to it I would LOVE that. I would pay pretty much any price for it. If you can't let us use that, perhaps you should remove it to make the app run faster. Just a thought.

#69 2010-03-09 11:09:47

jmm
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

What's keeping you from letting us create and edit Scratch projects on the iPhone? is it Apple's "no programming language" policy? Or are you just waiting for a bigger screen (the iPad) ?  smile .

It would be cool if you could save downloaded projects locally and run them without internet connection, or if you could transfer otherwise downloaded projects via iTunes to the iPhone. That way we could demo this app better in places with bad internet connection (many schools, unfortunately).

Well lots of questions, some I can't answer until the iPad ships. Some people would like the ability to edit projects on the iPhone, but it's not that simple, the UI relies on mouse over, and fine detail work with the mouse. The fact that when you drag & drop a tile with your finger you can't see where it's being placed since it's under your finger makes things a bit hard. 

So part of the effort is to give the Scratch team an App they can play with so they can better refine gestures & UI feedback as they grapple with UI concepts these touch devices expose.

#70 2010-03-09 11:11:42

Solarbuddy
Scratcher

and WiiWare  big_smile  lol

http://bit.ly/Vn3zid
                  View my latest project

#71 2010-03-09 11:12:49

Solarbuddy
Scratcher

AND WHAT 3 DOLLARS?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? No one on scratch is gonna buy that rip off!!!!!!!!!!! Make it free!!!! > sad

http://bit.ly/Vn3zid
                  View my latest project

#72 2010-03-09 11:41:52

Jens
Scratcher

jmm wrote:

Some people would like the ability to edit projects on the iPhone, but it's not that simple, the UI relies on mouse over, and fine detail work with the mouse. The fact that when you drag & drop a tile with your finger you can't see where it's being placed since it's under your finger makes things a bit hard.

I see, those are the same issues (mouse-over and fine grained movements) that are  apparently in the way of having Flash on the iPhone. But for editing there shouldn't be any problem with mouse over events. If I recall right it's only mouseEnterPressed ones  smile  (except, of course for the stage, but you already solved that beautifully).

Jens Mönig

#73 2010-03-09 16:06:47

s_federici
Scratcher

Is there a difference in performance when running the player in an iPod or in an iPhone? Or in different iPhones?

#74 2010-03-09 16:41:36

RHY3756547
Scratcher

s_federici wrote:

Is there a difference in performance when running the player in an iPod or in an iPhone? Or in different iPhones?

I think the newer generations run it faster.

#75 2010-03-09 18:54:20

jmm
Scratcher

s_federici wrote:

The first and 2nd generation iPod Touch, or the iPhone(s) before the 3G S run the Scratch.app at about 1/2 speed.  Memory can also be an issue since those devices have about 1/2 the memory to work with. Projects with lots of sound require lots of memory, if  so you'll get the 10 kilogram cat message... You can adjust memory allocation upwards on the newer devices via the Settings panel, but I'm afraid there's not much we can do with the memory limitations imposed by the earlier devices.

Board footer