This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-02-01 19:15:02

trimment
Scratcher

Question

Hey guys! I new here, and I was wondering if there was some way to contact a scratch member other than using the fourm or e-mail? Or if there is some way to ask a person to talk in the fourm? Is there like a message type thing?

Last edited by trimment (2010-02-01 19:32:59)

I have experience with
MS Visual BASIC, HTML, Java, C++, Dartmoth BASIC, and Machine Code.

#2 2010-02-01 20:55:16

coolperson
Scratcher

Re: Question

I'm a bit confused on what you are asking, but here's some info:
-The forums is a way to contact the whole scratch community.
-You can email the scratch team at help@scratch.MIT.edu
-There are no chatrooms on scratch. This has been talked about aloton scratch, but it isn't going to happen.
Hope that helps!

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#3 2010-02-01 20:57:31

trimment
Scratcher

I am asking if there is a way to send a message to a one user?

I have experience with

#4 2010-02-01 21:51:11

GirWaffles64
Scratcher

trimment wrote:

That's P.M-ing, and a "nope" from the Scratch team also.

hey kiddoes i'm back

#5 2010-02-01 22:09:37

coolperson
Scratcher

trimment wrote:

No, uless you get they're email.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#6 2010-02-01 23:26:34

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Methods to get around the lack of private messaging:

1. Place a comment to them on one of their projects and hope no one sees it. Hmmm... it's rather easy for people to see your message, so make it clear that it should be deleted once read, and post your comment as a reply to your contact replying to someone (that way your contact will still be notified, and it's tricky for other people to find your comment).

2. Use some program for talking to each other (something like Skype). That way you both just need to give each other your usernames (which won't really hurt), and then you can message each other freely.

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-02-02 03:34:07)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#7 2010-02-02 03:09:04

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

trimment wrote:

Hey guys! I new here, and I was wondering if there was some way to contact a scratch member other than using the fourm or e-mail? Or if there is some way to ask a person to talk in the fourm? Is there like a message type thing?

As you can see by the answers above, there is no type of private messaging available on the Scratch website, and it is unlikely there will be one in the future. It may seem strange but it is important to understand why this is in place:

Scratch Team wrote:

... keeping things open and public allow for things to be transparent. Inappropriate behavior is easily spotted and the benefits of having private communication do not outweigh its disadvantages.

So sorry, but there is no method of private communication here in the forums. However, should you want to send a message specifically to one user, you can always comment on one of their projects. Just keep in mind that whatever your comment will be open to the public and, although your comment is directed at one person, others will have the ability to respond to your comment as well.

Jonathanpb wrote:

2. Use e-mail. Of course, you're going to have to tell each other your e-mail addresses first, which is like the above problem, but you just need to do it once and then you can message each other freely.

I will have to discourage the use of sharing e-mail here - even putting your e-mail for a short time and then deleting right afterward still carries some kind of risk that the wrong person can get their hands on it, posing a security threat (this can especially be serious when it comes to minors who use the website). Therefore, for safety reasons, I would not encourage this at all.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#8 2010-02-02 03:29:40

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

2. Use e-mail. Of course, you're going to have to tell each other your e-mail addresses first, which is like the above problem, but you just need to do it once and then you can message each other freely.

I will have to discourage the use of sharing e-mail here - even putting your e-mail for a short time and then deleting right afterward still carries some kind of risk that the wrong person can get their hands on it, posing a security threat (this can especially be serious when it comes to minors who use the website). Therefore, for safety reasons, I would not encourage this at all.

That's mentioned (in number 1), but - I think I'll change that bit and make it clearer.  smile

EDIT: Done!  big_smile

The new version:

2. Use e-mail. Of course, you're going to have to tell each other your e-mail addresses first - and if someone sees your e-mail address, they could send you tons of silly e-mails and really annoy you. Not recommended. Of course, once you know each other's e-mail addresses you can message each other freely, but it's not worth the risk.

ANOTHER EDIT: I got rid of it anyway; it's silly to include something that's not recommended and dangerous.  tongue

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-02-02 03:35:23)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#9 2010-02-07 20:45:50

trimment
Scratcher

Thanks guys!

I have experience with

Board footer