This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#101 2010-01-14 17:16:19

technoman
Scratcher

Re: Should I get a Mac or Windows 7?

Also Macs aren't more expensive. Consider what you are getting- Mac, superior hardware that comes from one place made by a company known for excellence, or Windows 7 with a history of viruses, computers with inferior hardware made by several companies to make one. They are the same price if you get a windows PC with the same quality as a Mac. Mac actually has cheaper parts if you get the same quality. So the rumor that Macs are more expensive is a complete and utter lie. I have done research. Macs are also the dominant platform for graphic designers, movie makers and companies, and now they can play games equally the same as windows. Direct X10 fails compared to OpenGL.

Also people who think PC means a computer with windows is wrong. A PC is a personal computer, so it includes any "personal computer" I have a PC except it is a Mac PC, not a Windows PC.

#102 2010-01-15 17:12:58

technoman
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

If you want to be an apple fanboy and buy every kind of product that apple has to be cool (or if you want to do multimedia) get a Mac

If you want 90% of your programs to run then get Windows (its cheaper too).

If you really care about defending against virus and other e-junk then load Linux on your system which is more secure than macs and windows.

The classic rumors. Linux is not as safe as Mac (since Snow Leopard came out). And that apple fanboy thing is not true. Windows is not actually cheaper. Snow Leopard is only $30 the last version of OS X was $130. The reason that Macs are supposedly more expensive is that they actually have decent hardware and operating system. If they put that quality of hardware is Windows PCs they too would be the same price. The thing you said about running 90% of your programs is also false because Macs can also run windows, either at boot up or simultaneously. You can't do that on a Windows PC. Macs also are becoming great for gaming since they now come standard with NVidia GeForce graphics cards. Mac is for everything these days.

If have read this, I am not an Apple fanboy, I just have been enlightened by research and experience.

#103 2010-01-15 17:20:28

coolperson
Scratcher

Here's some ideas:
Windows 7 uses
Everything except things that can only run on Macs
Windows 7 prices:
Windows 7 Laptops come from about 550--1000s of $ If you want to get a gaming laptop, plan to spend somewhere in the 1000s.
You can get a used XP or Vista laptop around 2-3 hundred dollars, and then pick up a upgrade for about another 100.
Or, you could get a Mini for about 180-300 dollars if you don't need a huge screen an alot of memory.
Mac uses
Everything. You can also run Windows on it if you wish, but you have to get an upgrade.And you already know which one you'll be getting if you get a mac, so you probably know the prices.
Hope that helps!

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#104 2010-01-15 17:22:09

coolperson
Scratcher

Mr_X wrote:

Mac- 800 dollars
Windows 7- 50 dollars

I would get the cheaper one unless your parents are paying

Windows 7 isn't 50 if you get the laptop with it, even the upgrade is 100.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

Board footer