This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-12-03 15:23:50

wen723
Scratcher

Hi, I need Help.

I have a work that to do here in Scratch for a for a college class. I'd like some recommendations that I might do.  I am not very expert in this of Scratch. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

#2 2009-12-03 21:45:54

Greatdane
Scratcher

Re: Hi, I need Help.

Check out:

How to use Scratch
The Scratchionary
All about Scratch
A history of Scratch

Stickies(Things at the top which say Sticky: topic)

If you have any suggestions, post them in 'Suggestions'.
If you have any questions about Scratch, ask in 'All About Scratch'.
If you have and ADVANCED questions about Scratch, ask in 'Advanced Topics'.
If you have any problems with Scratch, ask in 'Troubleshooting'.
If anything or any user or post etc is bad, use the 'Contact Us' link in the bottom.

A sig(the line under with pictures and stuff) is enabled after 15 days of using the Forums. Once 15 days are over, just click 'Profile' and 'personality' and you can look at what you can do.

BBCode is enabled in both signatures and posts

Is what I do. If you need any help, ask me, even though I am nowhere near a college student.  tongue

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
        ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 2009-12-05 07:10:55

bharti
Scratcher

Well, Scratch is used to make games and animated projects. Above links will help you. To make good projects, you have to do more practice. It will take time. All the best for college project,  smile

She love scratch | I love Scratch | So She loves me :-)....

#4 2009-12-06 19:00:58

wen723
Scratcher

thanks!

Last edited by wen723 (2009-12-06 19:01:21)

#5 2009-12-06 22:24:58

Puppies4ever
Scratcher

I'd be happy to help! It's not hard once you get the hang of it, I assure you! I am a year 1/2 old scratcher and I like making games. Here is a miniture tour of scratch.
CHAPTER 1
~~~~~~~~~~
Programming offline is the main reason of scratch. You must drag blocks from the lists and put them together in a sequencial order. Here is an explanation of the blocks:
<when green flag clicked>: This is a block that makes and action as soon as the flag is clicked. This is only a start of the program.
<when[  ]key pressed>: This is the reaction To a certain key (A-Z, 0-9, arrow keys, space) when it is pressed.
<when[  ]clicked>: This is the start response to when the sprite is clicked.
<wait(  )secsc> Title says all, can be middle or end of a program
<forever> when programs & orders are dragged inside this block, this action will be repeated until the stop button is pressed.
<repeat(: Put a program in here, and it will repeat itself the ordered amount of time: example, <Repeat 5( say:Oh no! I'm drowning!) for 2 seconds) next costume> This would make the cat say "Oh no, I'm drowning," with the speech bubble showing for 2 seconds, and then change it's looks once, and repeat itself 5 times.
<broadcast[ This sends a certain comand to the other sprites. Example: <broadcast{jump!> would be sent by the cat, and would be recieved by the dog, with a message to change y by 10, and then y by -10, making it appear as if the dog is jumping.
<broadcast[  ]and wait c>: Same as above, with the concept of waiting until the message is recieved and performed to continnue
<when I receive[ This is the recieving of a broadcast, that makes it perform a certain action.
<forever if> This is like the 'forever' block, except it only proceeds if a certain rule is followed, ex: if the mouse button was down, the dog would say, "Hi!"
<if> this does an action, only if a rule is followed, ex: if the man was in his bandit costume, it would say, "You caught me!"
<if><else> This is kind of like the <if> above, except if the rule is not followed, it does something different program.
<wait until> This does not proceed until an action is followed, ex: wait until pen down, then change color effect by 5.
<repeat until>This keeps repeating itself until an action is followed. ex: repeat until costume = 3, then say, "I'm an artist!"
<stop script> This ends the entire script, so it can't continue, only the end block.
<stop all> this has the same response as pressing the stop button.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is chapter 1, all the control blocks! How I explained it may be confusing.... but I hope it helped!  big_smile  cya scratcher!  lol

http://25.media.tumblr.com/31e78e6856613e3187d8c303190fa943/tumblr_mglo3vYmHU1rc63l6o4_250.gif Dogs & horses until the end of time <3

#6 2009-12-06 22:32:55

Puppies4ever
Scratcher

http://scratch.teamrex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?id=20458&p=1 this may help too!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/31e78e6856613e3187d8c303190fa943/tumblr_mglo3vYmHU1rc63l6o4_250.gif Dogs & horses until the end of time <3

#7 2009-12-27 23:22:32

Chatter
Scratcher

wen723 wrote:

I have a work that to do here in Scratch for a for a college class. I'd like some recommendations that I might do.  I am not very expert in this of Scratch. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

I reccomend that you do a game. Making a game shows that you have talent with computers and that you are a good programmer. Try making a game when marbles roll down a maze and they have to get to a certain area without falling off of the maze. I think this will be a good game to make for a college student even though i'm only 9.  smile  Please give me credit in the project notes.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2339/mcdonaldsjoke.gifAll your problems are like batter when you add a little Chatter, because when you have Chat, you're safe from bats.  big_smile
"And so?" - The little people in my brain|Status: Snow in April?

#8 2009-12-27 23:28:01

webgal15
Scratcher

You could also download other Scratch projects and see how they are made. That can teach you a thing or two.

Now only using this account to post in Miscellaneous, but when Miss_Webgal becomes a Scratcher I'm ditching this account.

#9 2009-12-28 13:54:18

Morphed
Scratcher

You can make a game, like Chatter said. Look up on google ___"sprites" or (blank) "sprites. You then will get good characters for a game. Or, look here:  http://charas-project.net/

If you have any questions about game making, ask me. Or you can download one of my projects. That might help you a lot. I am a game maker and photo-animation-artist.\\

Scratch on.  wink

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/icons/buddy/435431_med.png?t=2010-01-24+19%3A31%3A51 "A bird In the hand is better than above you."
Wowie. Econimy go boom daddy....

#10 2009-12-28 17:41:02

Buggy132k9
Scratcher

If your struggling then download a decent project.
It'll help more than you think, and if its along the same lines of what your making then it'll help you so much it could be too much  tongue

#11 2009-12-30 10:38:50

rocket101
Scratcher

wen723 wrote:

I would recommend making a fake OS. They're real fun to make. Feel free to  remix my TechMaster OS to get you started.

#12 2009-12-31 23:11:20

Greatdane
Scratcher

rocket101 wrote:

wen723 wrote:

I would recommend making a fake OS. They're real fun to make. Feel free to  remix my TechMaster OS to get you started.

College.  roll

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
        ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#13 2010-01-01 14:44:59

KewlBeanz
Scratcher

my advice is if your gonna make a game then make it simple. make a ball that moves with fluid velocity (hardest part) and make multiple levels. simple games are always fun and addictive  tongue

Last edited by KewlBeanz (2010-01-01 14:45:15)

i dont even know...

#14 2010-01-01 14:58:35

coolperson
Scratcher

Here are some ideas:
-Study great scratch games/animations that were slaved long and hard at, as well as 30 minutes made in the basement. This will help you get a sense of what people can do on scratch.
-Identify what every scratch block does, and why you would use it. This will help you make projects a little bit easier, because you will know what each block does.
-Spend 1 hour making a game. -15 minutes ore less deciding what to do. -15 minutes or less figuring out how you're going to do it. -30 minutes making the project (Use costumes already made.) This will give you a sense of what YOU can and can't do in scratch with a deadline. (You will get better and faster over time.)
Use that advice, and you can go far!

Last edited by coolperson (2010-01-01 14:58:49)

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

Board footer