This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#901 2009-12-26 00:10:58

Chrischb
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

pinochio wrote:

Final speech (Promise, as I have already made 4,000,000 speeches...)

I am pinochio, I have been on Scratch for a decently longt time (Almost a year), and over the course of that year I have learned MANY new things. I started off not knowing how to program anything, that did not involve the glide, Wait secs, and Hide block. So, I started asking for advice in the forums, downloading projects, and asking other experienced Scratchers. All of them have helped, to program pretty advanced, and creative things. And they have really taught me to use Scratch to its fullest potential. Now, people ask me for help, and I always gladly answer their questions, or upload a demo project.

I really do not care if I am on the front page sometimes, because it does not affect what projects I like, therefor, I would be a fair curator. I would pick Projects with many views, or little. For me it does not matter, as I pick projects that I like. Everyone always states they would pick projects with little views, but isn't the whole point of curator to show off projects you enjoy? Of course, I would still feature some projects without many views. I am on Scratch a lot, and would update the projects daily, or 2 projects every 2 days (I am still figuring that out).

I enjoy extremely creative projects, and programming is not the MAIN part of what type of things I would choose. If I think the project is entertaining, (Even if it was simple) I would most certainly curate it. I also like Gadgets, tools, and OS' as they show what type of potential Scratch has, and all the cool things that can be made with it. Generally, I will do my best to curate all categories of projects, whether they are absolute uncanny, fun, happy, or tragic projects.

The Scratch team wants to pick Scratchers who have been nice and helpful on this website.... This is the one point where I do not achieve maximum points at. I love to help people, as stated above, but in all honesty, I may have said some rude things on the website. Sometimes I use mild insults, do not use appropriate language, or upload projects with some music on it that has bad words in it. For all this, I apologize. I believe though, that over the past 3 months I have stopped doing the occasional bad thing, and my overall Scratch'havior has improved. In this paragraph, it seems like all I do is bad things, well that is wrong. It is just occasional.

I hope you may consider me being a curator, and that perhaps that will happen someday. I will try not to post in this thread anymore (No promises...) and I will just see what happens.

Thanks, and Scratch on,

Pinochio

Well said! I hope you become curator at some point.  smile

illusionist wrote:

Hey! Its the Illusionist again.

Here is my story:

About almost two years ago, I was given an assigment in school to create a game with Scratch. I created an account by the name of "Prairie". At that time, I was the biggest noob ever to join, and in some ways I still am. I had no one to teach me. The only possible way to learn Scratch was to download and remix other people's work. I've learned MUCH more since then. Remixing, download, and carful examination of the way scripts are built has lead me to the place where I am now. It was hard, and I don't want others to have to learn the hard way like I did. So now I am offering to help newbies (new members) become as good of a Scratcher that they can be. I will often look on the "active members" page to find some projects that have not recieved comments. In looking at those pages I have discovered projects in different languages, Like Romanian, or Hebrew. It hurt me to see these lonely users without viewers, just because no-one could understand them. To solve this problem, I found a reliable online translator to translate their words into English, and my words into their own language. I really enjoyed teaching members from other countries how to program in Scratch. Every once in a while I will also explore the "other language" parts of the forums. While browsing through the "active members" page, I will find lots of excellent projects, many of which I would fail to duplicate. If I could show these works of art on the front page, I would. That is why I want to be Scratch's next curator.

Thank you all! and.... Scratch on!

-The Illusionist

That's a lot of meaning in that paragraph... I hope you become curator too!  smile

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#902 2009-12-26 00:12:01

Chrischb
Scratcher

illusionist wrote:

In looking at those pages I have discovered projects in different languages, Like Romanian, or Hebrew. It hurt me to see these lonely users without viewers, just because no-one could understand them. To solve this problem, I found a reliable online translator to translate their words into English, and my words into their own language.

I got insulted in Korean once. XD

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#903 2009-12-26 01:47:42

fanofcena
Scratcher

illusionist wrote:

Here is my story:

About almost two years ago, I was given an assigment in school to create a game with Scratch. I created an account by the name of "Prairie". At that time, I was the biggest noob ever to join, and in some ways I still am. I had no one to teach me. The only possible way to learn Scratch was to download and remix other people's work. I've learned MUCH more since then. Remixing, download, and carful examination of the way scripts are built has lead me to the place where I am now. It was hard, and I don't want others to have to learn the hard way like I did. So now I am offering to help newbies (new members) become as good of a Scratcher that they can be. I will often look on the "active members" page to find some projects that have not recieved comments. In looking at those pages I have discovered projects in different languages, Like Romanian, or Hebrew. It hurt me to see these lonely users without viewers, just because no-one could understand them. To solve this problem, I found a reliable online translator to translate their words into English, and my words into their own language. I really enjoyed teaching members from other countries how to program in Scratch. Every once in a while I will also explore the "other language" parts of the forums. While browsing through the "active members" page, I will find lots of excellent projects, many of which I would fail to duplicate. If I could show these works of art on the front page, I would. That is why I want to be Scratch's next curator.

-The Illusionist

claps claps if my vote is cared i vote for illusionist

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vxr2c0.png Click whats above u might make a cute planet happy ^_^

#904 2009-12-26 08:46:19

fmasroor
Scratcher

I've always wanted to be a curator. I really like physics demonstrations, but I can't make any. sad  I'm only 11. And I like games with good graphics, especially 1s1s (ie Line) or 3d models. Also, I like Paint Editors with a lot of options/features, such as sparks's DCrawer v.2. And I HATE RPG's.

Scratch is Programming, not RPGing.

I am working on a project. http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/fmasroor/1504554 Please fix it up to fit the goals in this project. http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/fmasroor/1506511

#905 2009-12-26 19:42:16

Nory
Scratcher

I would like to become a curator on the Scratch website. I would choose particularly interesting games that I like. There are many of these games, and I would like to broadcast them to the Scratch community. Sometimes I notice unusual projects that are new but interesting. I comment on projects a lot.

#906 2009-12-27 04:25:17

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

I just want to remind people...

Lightnin wrote:

Tell us the kind of projects you'd like to show, and why you want to show them.

Put a good bit of work into this.

Lightnin wrote:

We'll choose curators that represent the diversity of the Scratch Community - girls, boys, gamers, storytellers, animators - Scratchers of all kinds!

Just to let you know...

Lightnin wrote:

We especially like to choose Scratchers who have been helpful and contributing members of the Scratch community.

Have you been helpful and contributed to the Community? Think big about this, and don't just think "Of course I'm helpful!".

Please put a good amount of work into your application. And remember... there are plenty of people applying - the list of future planned curators must be huge! If you really want to apply again, wait several curators first.

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#907 2009-12-27 11:20:26

Chatter
Scratcher

I want to be a curator, sounds fun.  big_smile

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2339/mcdonaldsjoke.gifAll your problems are like batter when you add a little Chatter, because when you have Chat, you're safe from bats.  big_smile
"And so?" - The little people in my brain|Status: Snow in April?

#908 2009-12-27 11:59:46

domben
Scratcher

I would quite like to be a curator, my favourite projects are games with lots of lists and variables and art projects!  smile

Check out Air today! Air is a highly realistic platformer with extremely difficuly levels!
Add grob the slime to your signature to help him take over the world! http://is.gd/d55N3

#909 2009-12-27 14:24:05

Chatter
Scratcher

It would be fun to become a curator.  big_smile   smile

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2339/mcdonaldsjoke.gifAll your problems are like batter when you add a little Chatter, because when you have Chat, you're safe from bats.  big_smile
"And so?" - The little people in my brain|Status: Snow in April?

#910 2009-12-27 15:06:22

MrMunchkin
Scratcher

I'd like to show more games on the front page... preferably platformers. There are so many decent games out there which have so few views, and hardly any are on the scratch homepage.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MrMunchkin/958570 http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MrMunchkin/1074952
Check Them Out!

#911 2009-12-29 10:50:43

RHY3756547
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator for a while - I've noticed a few projects nobody has seen yet that are very interesting and showcase brilliant programming standards on scratch. The projects I would select would be innovative games, simulations and creative projects that have fun concepts.

#912 2009-12-29 11:10:21

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

floatingmagictree wrote:

Dear Scratch Team,

I, floatingmagictree, would like to take the job as curator. I have become exceedingly popular in the past two months, getting on the front page 7 times! It was a wonderful feeling when my project Twisted Wizard got on Top Viewed, and I would like to share that feeling with others, via curation. And just in time for the holiday season! I have also contributed to the community and helped others, so you know that you can trust me!

I have many sources for which projects I will choose, because I add every non-noticed and well made project I've seen in my gallery, FMT's Picks (which was a featured gallery a little while ago)!

Among the projects in "FMT's Picks"are games and simulations that seem that a lot of work was put into them. Those projects are what I am looking for, and they are the ones I seek to make well-known.

During my period as curator, I will choose 21 projects, selecting three new projects every two days. Among these projects will be two projects from my gallery FMT's picks, and one from this wonderful list that andresmh had compiled: Active Members.

So please, Scratch Team, choose me as your next curator!

~FMT

Just re-posting my speech, in case you haven't seen it.

#913 2009-12-29 11:17:38

golfer3
Scratcher

Pretty good FMT

#914 2009-12-31 17:01:52

Winterlilies
Scratcher

I would love to become a curator! I enjoy viewing art, especially fanarts and requests, because many people spend a lot of energy and effort on their artworks. They should be recognized for their hard work! I also like animations, stories, anything that you can tell people spent lots of time on! I may not be popular, people hardly know me or my projects, but the few Scratchers who know me can say that I like varieties of projects and spend time and comments on each one. Scratch is a wonderful way to show your stuff, and I'd like to award people for their efforts! I already do this by viewing projects a lot and commenting on tips and praises. I will not only stick to one gallery or one type of project, but choose freely based on their efforts. I know how it feels to have someone comment on how great and creative their project was. I want to do this more widely by becoming the new Scratch curator!

~It's not the popularity that counts...

...It's the thought that counts~

Winterlilies

#915 2009-12-31 17:05:54

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

Chrischb wrote:

pinochio wrote:

Final speech (Promise, as I have already made 4,000,000 speeches...)

I am pinochio, I have been on Scratch for a decently longt time (Almost a year), and over the course of that year I have learned MANY new things. I started off not knowing how to program anything, that did not involve the glide, Wait secs, and Hide block. So, I started asking for advice in the forums, downloading projects, and asking other experienced Scratchers. All of them have helped, to program pretty advanced, and creative things. And they have really taught me to use Scratch to its fullest potential. Now, people ask me for help, and I always gladly answer their questions, or upload a demo project.

I really do not care if I am on the front page sometimes, because it does not affect what projects I like, therefor, I would be a fair curator. I would pick Projects with many views, or little. For me it does not matter, as I pick projects that I like. Everyone always states they would pick projects with little views, but isn't the whole point of curator to show off projects you enjoy? Of course, I would still feature some projects without many views. I am on Scratch a lot, and would update the projects daily, or 2 projects every 2 days (I am still figuring that out).

I enjoy extremely creative projects, and programming is not the MAIN part of what type of things I would choose. If I think the project is entertaining, (Even if it was simple) I would most certainly curate it. I also like Gadgets, tools, and OS' as they show what type of potential Scratch has, and all the cool things that can be made with it. Generally, I will do my best to curate all categories of projects, whether they are absolute uncanny, fun, happy, or tragic projects.

The Scratch team wants to pick Scratchers who have been nice and helpful on this website.... This is the one point where I do not achieve maximum points at. I love to help people, as stated above, but in all honesty, I may have said some rude things on the website. Sometimes I use mild insults, do not use appropriate language, or upload projects with some music on it that has bad words in it. For all this, I apologize. I believe though, that over the past 3 months I have stopped doing the occasional bad thing, and my overall Scratch'havior has improved. In this paragraph, it seems like all I do is bad things, well that is wrong. It is just occasional.

I hope you may consider me being a curator, and that perhaps that will happen someday. I will try not to post in this thread anymore (No promises...) and I will just see what happens.

Thanks, and Scratch on,

Pinochio

Well said! I hope you become curator at some point.  smile

illusionist wrote:

Here is my story:

-The Illusionist

That's a lot of meaning in that paragraph... I hope you become curator too!  smile

Thansk Chrischb! That means a lot... Even though it seems like only me, Vista[random numbers] and Wikimen are helping with the 2010 plan.  sad

Chrischb wrote:

illusionist wrote:

In looking at those pages I have discovered projects in different languages, Like Romanian, or Hebrew. It hurt me to see these lonely users without viewers, just because no-one could understand them. To solve this problem, I found a reliable online translator to translate their words into English, and my words into their own language.

I got insulted in Korean once. XD

That happens... The 2010 idea was started to prevent users like that.  tongue

fanofcena wrote:

illusionist wrote:

Here is my story:

-The Illusionist

claps claps if my vote is cared i vote for illusionist

I would like to thank you too Fanofcena.  smile

Last edited by illusionist (2009-12-31 17:14:05)

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#916 2009-12-31 17:24:14

foxfan
Scratcher

I'd like to be the Scratch curator. There are a lot of really good projects that no one's ever seen before but that I think people deserve to know about. I like games, stories, and animations! I like stuff that is original. I really like to see what other Scratchers can do and I want to share those things with others. That is why I want to be a Scratch Curator.

smile

#917 2009-12-31 17:57:29

superzac
Scratcher

I would like to be a Scratch Curator. here are the reasons you should pick me:
1. I am online a lot.
2. I am always surfing the website to find really good games nobody knows about.
3. I have been featured before.
4. I will have been in Scratch 2 years towmorrow.

http://helloworldgivemeacheezburger.yolasite.com/resources/SUPERZAC%20Fires%20LASERS%20In%20your%20General%20Direction.png
Click it!

#918 2009-12-31 18:05:27

illusionist

¡Eh!! Su el Illusionist de nuevo.

Esta es mi historia:

Acerca de hace casi dos años, me dieron la Asignación en la escuela para crear un juego con el Scratch. He creado una cuenta por el nombre de "Prairie". En ese momento, yo era el más grande noob nunca a unirse, y de alguna manera todavía lo soy. No tenía a nadie que me enseñara. La única manera posible de aprender Scratch fue para descargar y remezclar trabajo de otras personas. He aprendido mucho más desde entonces. Remezcla, descarga, y el examen cuidadoso de la forma en secuencias de comandos se construyen me ha llevado hasta el lugar donde estoy ahora. Era difícil, y yo no quiero que otros tienen que aprender de la manera difícil, como lo hice. Así que ahora estoy ofreciendo para ayudar a los novatos (nuevos miembros) se vuelven tan bueno de una Scratcher que puede ser. A menudo se verá en los "miembros activos" para encontrar algunos proyectos que no han recibido comentarios. Al mirar las páginas que he descubierto proyectos en diferentes lenguas, como rumano, o el hebreo. Me dolió ver a estos usuarios solo sin espectadores, sólo porque nadie podía entender. Para resolver este problema, he encontrado un traductor en línea confiable para traducir sus palabras en Inglés, y mis palabras en su propio idioma. Me gustó mucho enseñar a los miembros de otros países a programar en Scratch. De vez en cuando también explorará el "idioma" partes de los foros. Durante la navegación a través de los "miembros activos", que se encuentra gran cantidad de excelentes proyectos, muchos de los cuales yo no duplicar. Si yo pudiera mostrar estas obras de arte en la primera página, lo haría. Por eso quiero ser conservador siguiente Scratch's.

Gracias a todos! y .... Scratch on!

-The Illusionist

Does the translator work? XD

#919 2010-01-01 00:42:01

ScratchGamer417
Scratcher

I would love to be a curator! I would pick the best and coolest games and animations to show all of the fellow scratchers! I like games that are built nicely and those that are bold. Scratch is a place to show off work, right?

#920 2010-01-01 02:34:11

supervivi5000
Scratcher

i would love to become a curator with a ton of stuff that has no meaning whatsoever, a tribute to randomness, if you will. That row would add up in projects really fast! examples are projects featuring songs that are funny, games that are funny, etc. Scratch on!  smile

#921 2010-01-01 03:40:08

fireball123
Scratcher

Now it's MY EPIC speech

About 5 years ago, a line of sleepy eyed second-graders enter the computer lab of their elementary school. As they sat at their seats in front of the large computer screen, they noticed something different on the large screen, instead of the usual desktop, there was a program open. After everyone was seated and had stopped talking, he started. I can't remember his exact words, but he introduced a new programing language for kids, called scratch. They needed people to test it, and we were chosen. I didn't think about it much after that day.

Two years later, our teacher incorporated our school assignments with scratch, encouraging us to make interactive animations and games that are educational. I got pretty good with it, and even better the following summer. thats when I made my first account "ellielli." When I got better at scratch, I decided to get a fresh start, and make a name for myself. A year or 2 later here I am.

The projects I like are games and animations that have good graphics, but not an overly fancy presentation, like really fancy menus, unless they are matched in the game. I don't like art, because scratch is a programing/animation language, and that is not the best expressed by art, or still images.

I did it for the Lolz

#922 2010-01-01 12:27:12

Daggart
Scratcher

my favourite types of projects would be umm... well games, art, animation... I don't like simulations very much... I find simulations kinda boring.

I like stuff... that's all

#923 2010-01-01 14:49:37

coolperson
Scratcher

I have posted here a bit, I don't hang around this thread alot because I want to give the scratch team time to think about my posts here. I've decided to try again.
I've been on scratch a long time. But not since early 2009 did I really get into scratch.
aybe it was because I played more videogames than I made them. It could be a long list of things. That dosen't really matter though. But scratch taught me how to program. As of me writing this, it has taught approximately 96,729 people how to, including me. I recently started a gallery called "Projects worthy of the front page". I find projects that I belive people spent a lot of time at, and deserve more than what they got. I may be very accurate, too. I put the game Inkball Power Play in my gallery. It was on the front page in a matter of days. I only put games from people who have a very low fame rate. I started the gallery because I wanted to try curtating. The gallery hasn't gotten much fame yet, but maybe it will as time goes on. If I get picked as curtator, I will try to find projects, (As every curtator has,) like the ones that I have put in Projects worthy of the front page None of the projects will have gotten on the front page before. They will all be deserving.
Please, please, please, consider me for a curtator. I know that you all are very busy, and some people should be in front of me in the line, but if this is what makes you decide on me as the curtator in 20 years, I'll be happy.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#924 2010-01-01 14:51:51

pinochio
Scratcher

coolperson wrote:

I have posted here a bit, I don't hang around this thread alot because I want to give the scratch team time to think about my posts here. I've decided to try again.
I've been on scratch a long time. But not since early 2009 did I really get into scratch.
aybe it was because I played more videogames than I made them. It could be a long list of things. That dosen't really matter though. But scratch taught me how to program. As of me writing this, it has taught approximately 96,729 people how to, including me. I recently started a gallery called "Projects worthy of the front page". I find projects that I belive people spent a lot of time at, and deserve more than what they got. I may be very accurate, too. I put the game Inkball Power Play in my gallery. It was on the front page in a matter of days. I only put games from people who have a very low fame rate. I started the gallery because I wanted to try curtating. The gallery hasn't gotten much fame yet, but maybe it will as time goes on. If I get picked as curtator, I will try to find projects, (As every curtator has,) like the ones that I have put in Projects worthy of the front page None of the projects will have gotten on the front page before. They will all be deserving.
Please, please, please, consider me for a curtator. I know that you all are very busy, and some people should be in front of me in the line, but if this is what makes you decide on me as the curtator in 20 years, I'll be happy.

Werent you curator before?

Flat Out G

#925 2010-01-01 15:03:38

illusionist

pinochio wrote:

coolperson wrote:

Werent you curator before?

Naw, that was CoolStuff.

Board footer