This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2009-11-30 09:29:48

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Remove top remixed

I am against this idea because I think this section of the front page serves three purposes:

1. Promotes the idea of remixing right on the front page. Important from new members.

2. Gives reputation to those who create highly remixable projects.

3. Opens new opportunities for project creation. It is very easy to see that Scratch can be used to create video games and animations but the idea of building collaborative projects that engage many people didn't really take off until the Top Remixed section was added. The fact that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have participated in this kind of remixing makes me think that it is a type of project creation that was enabled by this Top Remixing.

I do agree that most of the top remixed projects are not the most complex ones and it seems like all of you want to see more complex projects, so what about taking this as a challenge!?

The challenge is to create a highly remixable project that helps people see new ways of using chain remixing. For example, a while ago I remember someone creating a project that had a little robot and that invited people to remix and add their own robot so the two robots would compete against each other in trying to get to a section of the screen while preventing the other robot to do so. Basically the idea was to create some kind of AI competition.  I am not saying to recreate this exact idea but I am sure you can come up with something together that ups the complexity level of remixing. Seems like there are already 17 of you who might be interested in doing this. I think if you organize yourself and get to remix a project like the one I describe you can actually start a new movement of really cool and complex top remixed projects.

Rather than trying to get X type of project from the front page, I think a better approach is to organize yourselves and show that a different type of projects are possible and get those to the front page. It is not about removing, it's about adding diversity.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#52 2009-11-30 09:37:53

what-the
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

I am against this idea ............think a better approach is to organize yourselves and show that a different type of projects are possible and get those to the front page. It is not about removing, it's about adding diversity.

I agree

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#53 2009-11-30 16:50:25

pinochio
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

I am against this idea because I think this section of the front page serves three purposes:

1. Promotes the idea of remixing right on the front page. Important from new members.

2. Gives reputation to those who create highly remixable projects.

3. Opens new opportunities for project creation. It is very easy to see that Scratch can be used to create video games and animations but the idea of building collaborative projects that engage many people didn't really take off until the Top Remixed section was added. The fact that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have participated in this kind of remixing makes me think that it is a type of project creation that was enabled by this Top Remixing.

I do agree that most of the top remixed projects are not the most complex ones and it seems like all of you want to see more complex projects, so what about taking this as a challenge!?

The challenge is to create a highly remixable project that helps people see new ways of using chain remixing. For example, a while ago I remember someone creating a project that had a little robot and that invited people to remix and add their own robot so the two robots would compete against each other in trying to get to a section of the screen while preventing the other robot to do so. Basically the idea was to create some kind of AI competition.  I am not saying to recreate this exact idea but I am sure you can come up with something together that ups the complexity level of remixing. Seems like there are already 17 of you who might be interested in doing this. I think if you organize yourself and get to remix a project like the one I describe you can actually start a new movement of really cool and complex top remixed projects.

Rather than trying to get X type of project from the front page, I think a better approach is to organize yourselves and show that a different type of projects are possible and get those to the front page. It is not about removing, it's about adding diversity.

Great idea! I will get right to it!

Flat Out G

#54 2009-11-30 16:55:52

greenflash
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

I have an idea! We could make a chatbox, and each person adds a new phrase to its volcabulary!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wrkirk.pnghttp://i46.tinypic.com/6r5zk7.pnghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2vtxr1t.png

#55 2009-11-30 23:35:18

Chrischb
Scratcher

greenflash wrote:

andresmh wrote:

I have an idea! We could make a chatbox, and each person adds a new phrase to its volcabulary!

Or we could all work together to make a dictionary! (Similar thing, but still.  tongue )

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#56 2009-12-01 07:29:19

pinochio
Scratcher

Who wants to start it off?

Flat Out G

#57 2009-12-01 23:42:25

Chrischb
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

Who wants to start it off?

I don't do remixes, sadly. It would clutter up my account.

But maybe if I made a Chrischb_free account... I'll have a think.  smile

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#58 2009-12-02 16:20:25

TheSaint
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

I have a great idea. What if we created an iphone with apps? Each person could create their own app for the Iphone, thereby creating a great project? I could program a base for it, so that it would be easy to add an app.
Or we could build a battle bots competion, like Andremsh said. It is a good idea.

#59 2009-12-02 16:22:16

dav09
Scratcher

i do but it has 2 be replaced

#60 2010-10-02 13:49:49

aarextiaokhiao
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

pinochio wrote:

Agreed! Which is why featured remix would work perfectly! I also think they could replace suprise projects with top remixed...

Um... you swapped it.

Don't you mean "replace Top Remixed with Surprise Projects"?

Oops. I get confused sometimes  tongue

Quote by pinochio
4 times quotes

Last edited by aarextiaokhiao (2010-10-02 13:50:14)

#61 2010-10-02 15:27:29

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

aarextiaokhiao wrote:

pinochio wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

Um... you swapped it.

Don't you mean "replace Top Remixed with Surprise Projects"?

Oops. I get confused sometimes  tongue

Quote by pinochio
4 times quotes

Hi aarextiaokhiao - It's good to see you joining the Forum community...there's a lot of good information here.  But please be sure that your posts are adding useful information and not just "spamming" things up.  Also, please check the date of the previous posts and see if the information is still relevant before posting.  Thanks!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#62 2010-12-26 07:15:25

scimonster
Community Moderator

maybe
[rhyme]don't remove it, just move it[/rhyme]
down

#63 2010-12-30 16:00:02

purplekittygirl509
Scratcher

There are some people (not myself, but I know many) who actually do want to keep the Top Remixed stuff. Sure, there's nothing wrong with moving it, like some of you have said. Taking it away completely would be unfair to the other people who actually pay attention to those projects. They're Scratch users too and have just as much a right to be  creating these projects. Besides, it's how some kids first are introduced to collectively programming. I believe ssss had a great idea relating to this in another thread which would allow users to choose what they wanted to see on the first page.

http://internetometer.com/image/23604.png

#64 2010-12-31 21:25:48

kingofdallamas
Scratcher

I agree with ya, should be removed off the Front page, but other users might disagree with that because they, themselves, get famous for just doing remixxing contest, coloring, etc..  tongue

Last edited by kingofdallamas (2010-12-31 21:26:17)

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/Gilgamesh1192/Ninja%20Saga/ElementalJutsus2.gifhttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BoomKaTish/GIF/thgfhgfhfhgf.gif
ハロー友だち!

#65 2011-01-09 09:04:46

thecrazyguy
Scratcher

I half-heartedly support that idea.

I like pie.

#66 2011-08-04 14:14:42

pokeywokey
Scratcher

It exists because scratch is all about taking someone's work and improving it.  smile  I don't support the removal of this column but I do think that add ons and stuff like that should be banned.  hmm

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/002/f/f/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster_by_Deviant_Care.jpg

Board footer