This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-24 09:09:34

shadowhalo3
Scratcher

PROJECT: Z3RO

Hey, the name above is another title to one of my advance games that will take Scratch to a whole new level. Now i've already posted information on my latest title " Dawn of Heaven" that's about a boy lost in a world without memries of his past, that's still in production. Posted in " Educators". Now these games aren't flash, or one level screen games, no. These games are deepened with storyline, voice over, and affection for characters. Project Zero is a game that im making also, but no info will be given yet. Below are some of the release dates of my games, or at least the date where more information will be released on them. Truly, these games will be  masterpieces, and once you play them, it will take your mind on an adventure. and if you like Kingdom Hearts, or final fantasy, you'll love these newly evolved games coming to you soon... Send friend invite, or post comments or questions about the releases.

DAWN OF HEAVEN - 5/30/07 (  updated info release )

PROJECT: Z3RO - 6/3/07 ( Updated info release )

Hotel 296 - 6/10/07 ( release date )

Tears in the SKy - 6/4/07 ( Updated info Release )

and more comign soon...

Check out my projects There the sickest thing on here. Just look up project Zero, or click my name, and be exposed to the future of scratch Gaming. JUST FINISHED GUITAR HERO: PLATINUM http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/shadowhalo3/90280

#2 2007-05-24 19:15:44

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: PROJECT: Z3RO

The description of your games is pretty impressive. I would love to see those games and if they are cool we could feature them on the home page.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#3 2007-05-24 22:11:20

archmage
Scratcher

I am I bit skeptical to whether you could actually produce a game of such high quality.If you want to create and "amazing" game here are some of the things you will probably need: Game Physics, Enemy A.I. Scoring System, and others depending on the game you are making. Most of these things are fairly difficult to make and near impossible for those who are inexperienced. Anyways, Id really really like to see some of your rough work or examples of your programming prowess just to prove that you can create a game like the one in your description.  wink

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#4 2007-05-25 01:30:09

fandebiao
Scratcher

Scratch is not designed to make too complicated games... You will see after you try...
But whatever, good luck...

#5 2007-05-25 14:44:17

archmage
Scratcher

fandebiao wrote:

Scratch is not designed to make too complicated games... You will see after you try...
But whatever, good luck...

Not designed to make complex games? Well take a look at this http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Canthiar/4308

You can make games as complex as you like you just have to know what you are doing.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#6 2007-05-26 00:11:48

fandebiao
Scratcher

Here's what I mean by why "scratch can't make too complicated games". Scratch doesn't support advanced data type, dynamic creation of variable, real method(with parameter, return value, etc), file reading/writing, and many other features a real programming language has.  Speed is also a problem.

Certainly scratch can do calculations, but it is not capable to make a game with lot of data.  The complexity is just beyond its scope.  That's why method oriented programming language and object orientated programming languages were invented.

Rather, scratch should be used to make more creative stuff.

Creativity is the focus of scratch, not complexity.

#7 2007-05-26 01:11:45

archmage
Scratcher

fandebiao wrote:

Here's what I mean by why "scratch can't make too complicated games". Scratch doesn't support advanced data type, dynamic creation of variable, real method(with parameter, return value, etc), file reading/writing, and many other features a real programming language has.  Speed is also a problem.

Certainly scratch can do calculations, but it is not capable to make a game with lot of data.  The complexity is just beyond its scope.  That's why method oriented programming language and object orientated programming languages were invented.

]
Alas this is all true. Scratch is lacking alot of things that are used to create most complicated  games like dynamic creation of varribles and creation of new sprites and ect.But still it is not immpossible to create fairly deep games like RPGs using battle forumlas. Scratch was created for those new to programming to get better so the lack of
"complex features" doesnt really suprise me. The reason I like to use scratch it takes a lot less time to snap on blocks than write lines of syntax. And usally I like to make mostly little projects and scratch is just perfect for that sort of thing. If a person actually needed complex features really badly for a game or something they should probally get macromedia flash and learn actionscript.But personally I can imagine shadowhalo3's program in scratch like most games it really just depends on how creative you are and if you are able to overcome obstacles.

#8 2007-05-29 04:37:06

Macca
Scratcher

I like your games so far. If you ever want to move on from scratch and other more advanced game development software, google either Game Maker 7 or DarkBASIC...

Cant wait for these projects though.

Last edited by Macca (2007-06-03 01:18:31)

~Macca

#9 2007-05-29 10:55:43

archmage
Scratcher

Actually Macca I am skilled in flash actionscript and I can program flash games.

#10 2007-06-01 19:46:10

iwikepie
Scratcher

We aren't going to "take scratch to a whole new level" or"send your mind on an adventure" but HOMEMADE_INC(me and another user) are making a series that gets funner longer and harder to make as it goes on.
It's called Army Ants.
The first one you may have seen(Army Ants)...that one only took us a day..it's not THAT good. Army Ants IIwas to be released today..6\1\07, but was realesed yesterday...it's got cool features.
Army Ants 3-5 are gonna MUCH longer to make and play.
thanx...

PIE IS GOOD!

#11 2007-06-01 19:47:43

iwikepie
Scratcher

Also its past 5\30th..we want info we want info!
Hotel 293 sounds good..

PIE IS GOOD!

#12 2007-06-01 19:51:15

iwikepie
Scratcher

fandebiao wrote:

Nearly anything in the VIDEOGAME world  is possible to do on scratch..you just have to be REALLY(imeanit) skilled to do some stuff.

Last edited by iwikepie (2007-06-01 19:55:55)

PIE IS GOOD!

#13 2007-06-02 13:15:25

archmage
Scratcher

Actually you can do quite a lot in scratch but this guy doesn't even know where to begin making something like this.

#14 2007-06-03 22:02:03

Tree_of_Knowledge
Scratcher

Realy, Scratch needs more sophistication.

Over half the projects are either buggy or clearly made in 5 minutes.

By the way, this graph shows my opinion of scratch.
Y-axis:  Hardness to make
X-axis:  Fun

Threshold of fun                Threshold of sophistication
                                                |                                           |  >
                                                |                                           | >
                                                |                                           |>
                                                |                                         > |
                                                |                                        > |
                                                |                                    >     |
                                                |                                 >        |
                                                |                              >           |
                                                |                       >                  |
                                                |                >                         |
                                                |        >                                 |
                                                |>                                         |
                                     >         |                                           |
                           >                   |                                           |
             >                                 |                                           |
>                                              |                                           |

#15 2007-06-04 00:44:00

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I disagree---many of my student's projects are unsophisticated, but fun, and many of *my* programs are sophisticated but not fun.

#16 2007-06-04 02:11:20

Mayhem
Scratcher

Tree_of_Knowledge wrote:

I think you are mistaking scratch for some sort of hardcore programming tool where the object is to create perfect products.

The real fun of scratch is in the creation of those products, and the real achievement of scratch is making that creation so easy that even very young children can do it.

Web-spinning Spider:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/18456
3D Dungeon Adventure:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/23570
Starfighter X: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/21825
Wandering Knight: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/28484

#17 2007-06-04 21:01:18

Tree_of_Knowledge
Scratcher

I understand that scratch is designed to be easy to use, but couldn't it be easy AND powerful at the same time?

I applaud all who attempt to make harder, more sophisticated games, and I still enjoy the little animations and 2-player fighting games.

That said, it is a tremendous acheivment and a huge success.

#18 2007-06-04 21:05:12

Tree_of_Knowledge
Scratcher

Mayhem wrote:

Tree_of_Knowledge wrote:

I think you are mistaking scratch for some sort of hardcore programming tool where the object is to create perfect products.

The real fun of scratch is in the creation of those products, and the real achievement of scratch is making that creation so easy that even very young children can do it.

I understand that, but since scratch is so easy to use, it should be easy to make sophisticated games with it too, right?

Do not think that I am trying to downplay or attack anyone or anyone's work, but I still believe that my graph is accurate and that we could use a bit more sophistication here.  I am not saying that all non-sophiticated games should be removed, just that we need a few more sophisticated ones.

#19 2007-06-04 21:08:23

Tree_of_Knowledge
Scratcher

Mayhem wrote:

Tree_of_Knowledge wrote:

I understand that, but since scratch is so easy to use, it should be easy to make sophisticated games with it too, right?

Do not think that I am trying to downplay or attack anyone or anyone's work, but I still believe that my graph is accurate and that we could use a bit more sophistication here.  I am not saying that all non-sophiticated games should be removed, just that we need a few more sophisticated ones.

#20 2007-06-04 21:34:20

Tree_of_Knowledge
Scratcher

fandebiao wrote:

While creativity may be the focus of scratch, it is annoying when your creativity is limited by the fact that it is harder to make sophisticated things.  and why can't scratch be used for more complex stuff?  Really, complexity and creativity aren't opposites.

#21 2007-06-04 23:02:20

xyxzergames
Scratcher

I agree with Tree_of_Knowledge, but he really should stop *attacking* Scratch. To make Scratch easy to use was a tremendous achievement, but it definitively was not without some sacrifice. Real programming, not the Snap-Together-Blocks type is 99999999999999999999999999999... times harder than the Scratch type, these developers have done a great job, so *STOP* attacking them!

Tip of the Hat UNIVERSE - A Website for our friends, TOTH Productions
http://www.ftcsm.co.nr/webmaster/UNIVERSE
Help Stop GLOBAL WARMING
http://www.stopglobalwarming.org

#22 2007-06-05 23:52:39

Tree_of_Knowledge
Scratcher

xyxzergames wrote:

I agree with Tree_of_Knowledge, but he really should stop *attacking* Scratch. To make Scratch easy to use was a tremendous achievement, but it definitively was not without some sacrifice. Real programming, not the Snap-Together-Blocks type is 99999999999999999999999999999... times harder than the Scratch type, these developers have done a great job, so *STOP* attacking them!

I am not attacking them!!!!!!!

What part of "I am not trying to downplay anyone or anyone's work."  do you not understand?

Reread my posts and see the other things like: "That said, Scratch is a tremendous success."

And you were the first to suggest something different "on the survey" (You know what I mean, XYXZERGAMES!!!!!!.

#23 2007-06-06 10:36:53

xyxzergames
Scratcher

Tree_of_Knowledge wrote:

xyxzergames wrote:

I am not attacking them!!!!!!!

What part of "I am not trying to downplay anyone or anyone's work."  do you not understand?

Reread my posts and see the other things like: "That said, Scratch is a tremendous success."

And you were the first to suggest something different "on the survey" (You know what I mean, XYXZERGAMES!!!!!!.

What do you mean, per say...

Tip of the Hat UNIVERSE - A Website for our friends, TOTH Productions
http://www.ftcsm.co.nr/webmaster/UNIVERSE
Help Stop GLOBAL WARMING
http://www.stopglobalwarming.org

#24 2007-06-08 22:02:51

Graham
Scratcher

Some of my projects are fun and complicated like the Army Ants sereis.  The first one was not complicated at all but the second one was very complicated and the next three will be.  I think Scratch is not complicated but you can make it complicated.

Thanks alot!
      Graham.

Mini Game heaven: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Graham/20856 Don't press the Button: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Graham/3167 and Army Ants: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Graham/1059

#25 2007-06-09 12:22:44

iwikepie
Scratcher

Graham wrote:

Some of my projects are fun and complicated like the Army Ants sereis.  The first one was not complicated at all but the second one was very complicated and the next three will be.  I think Scratch is not complicated but you can make it complicated.

Thanks alot!
      Graham.

Well put!

PIE IS GOOD!

Board footer