This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-11-11 08:57:12

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Guide to the forums.

So you're new to the forums? Here's a few things that I hope will help  smile

Contents:

1, The Forum Catergories.
2, Post & Threads
3, BBC Code & Signatures
4, Reporting/Flagging & Things to avoid doing
5, Moderators (of doom?  wink  ) & end.
6, New Scratchers.

(Scroll down until you see the big number that goes with what you're looking for  smile  )

------
------

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/1.gif?
The catergories

You will notice that the front page is divided into different sections, I will explain each of these and what there used for.

Announcements

Only the Scratch Team itself can make new topics here, but as the name suggests, they make announcement's such as the next Scratch's release, new ideas for the site etc:

You can reply to these topics though, as the Scratch Team are usually looking for opinions.

New Scratch Members

Pretty self explanotory, if you are new to Scratch, feel free to say hi to all the freindly members. A lot of us will help you get used to Scratch and help you start your Scratching  smile

Show and tell

Have anew project? Want everyone to know about your work? Post it here, but remember:

This is only for announcing things on Scratch! Sometimes the occasional new website or other something pops up here, the moderator's will soon move these to the corect place.

If you have something else to announce, feel free to try one of the Inspiration & more.

FAQ

Once again, you can't create your own thread here.

If a question is asked repeatedly, it will most likely be added here. If you want to know something, try looking here before creating your own thread  smile  The asnwer may already be here.

------
------

All About Scratch: Want to know something about Scratch? Stuck on a project? Try asking here.

Troubleshooting: Have a problem with Scratch? Did your computer explode when you clicked the green flag? Report it here  smile

Now, these two are slightly different. There is sometimes confusion over where something fall under.

It's simple. Is it a bug, error, mistake that definetly shouldn't happen. Then use the Troubleshooting topic.

Stuck on a project? you don't know something? All About Scratch is your answer.

------
------

Advanced Topics

Want to know some very advanced coding? Interested in knowing something very hard/advanced?

Post here. This topic is usually filled with pretty complicated things though, if your new to Scratch, some thing may be difficult to understand.

But there are many discussuions here, feel free to join in  smile

Sensor Boards

The sensor boards are related to the sensor's in Scratch. Such as the microphone functions, light detecting and more.

Scratch is only compatible with these devices, it cannot provide you with the functions unless you get these for your computer.

Educators

This was used for discussing the teaching aspects of Scratch, but it is moving to scratched.media.mit.edu

Inspiration and more

A lot of things go here, but they must be inspirational and lead to a point. The Inspiration and more is now split into four sections to make it slightly more organised.

These are:

Collaboration - Scratcher's can make projects together here which is useful if there's something your not particularly good at or your looking to try a different sort of projects. A collaboration can be something like one person codes a sprite and another draws it, or one Scratcher makes part of a project, then another Scratcher adds to it and so on..

Requests - Slightly different from collabs. Scratcher's can request things like artwork/music etc: for their own projects. Although since you're requesting, being rude isn't very helpful. (Note: I'm not sure if this is 100% correct DX So if anyone can add/change this, please let me know?)

Project Ideas - Pretty self explanatory. You can look for project ideas here. So if you have no inspiration, try checking out a few other Scratcher's ideas and you may be able to make another project.

Miscellaneous - There's a line between TBG and Inspiration here. This place is for threads that aren't exactly related to Scratch, but also aren't games. Things like a new game, something random (but hopefully not spam), a poll, artwork etc: Try to use your own judgement on whether the thread your making is a game or not when posting here since there have been confusions on this in the past  smile .

There we're a lot of Text-based games in the old inspiration and more, but they now belong here http://scratch.mit.edu/tbgforums

You may have noticed the language topics too.

Please post only in the language used there, but the threads are mainly all that was mentioned above, mixed into one.

Feel free to help the members of another language if you know how to speak that language.

There's also Translating Scratch, and Other languages.
Both are mainly for discussing/translating new languages for Scratch.

------
------

Archived Forums

These are past forums that are now locked, you are able to look back at the topics here, but you can't add anything new.

Any topics that are locked usually get moved here, currently there's 5.

------
------

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/2.gif?
Posts/threads

Posting is the term used for saying something. I have posted this, anything you type is called a post.

A thread is the term for a topic withing a topic. This is a thread, and so are all the topics on the forums.

If you are looking to create your own thread. Look to the top of a normal (not locked or Admin only) topic, and then click "Post new topic". You can then type your message into a large block and give it a name at the top. However, make sure your thread is in the correct place and actually has a point. A thread can be spam if it's something like "OMG! I LOVE COOKIES!" with the message inside being "Yes, I do."

To reply to a thread, simply scroll to the bottom and type your message there. If there is no box, the threaad is locked.

Locked?

Locked is the term for when a topic is closed.

A locked topic will be grey and can only be viewed. You cannot post in a locked topic.

Topics are locked if:
A) The person who created the thread asks for it to be locked by saying something like. "Can a moderator lock this?"
B) It has gone completely of topic, full of flaming and no longer contribute's to the Scratch Forums.
C) Necroposted. Hardly ever happens, but if a very old and uneeded thread is Necroposted, it is generally locked to prevent other users bumping it up.

A locked topic:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Locked.gif?

An topic with no new posts:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/No-New-Posts.gif?

A topic with new, recent posts:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/New-Post.gif?

------
------

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/3.gif?
BBC Codes

You may have noticed things like smilies  smile  and the colour blue.

There's more, to find out how to make them, you can click here

------
------

Signatures

Notice I have a banner at the bottom of my posts? That is a signature, it can be text or an image as long as it is appropriate (Isn't swearing, insulting etc: )

However, currently you can only have a signature after you have been on Scratch for 15 days, this is to help cut down on things such commercial advertising.

To make a signature, click on the button that says PROFILE near the top (next to Search + Forums Home). You will be taken to a menu, click on personality ad you will see a box.

Type your signature in there, but you are limited to a certain size and letters you can type. You can use the BBC codes on the page I linked in Forum Tricks when making a signature.

Click here,
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Signature-1.gif?

And then here  smile
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Signature-2.gif?

------
------

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/4.gif?
Reporting/flagging

Chrischb wrote a good guide about reporting and flagging a project/thread/post  smile

For more, click here  smile

------
------

Some things to avoid on the forums

Spam: Silly Pointless Annoying Messages.

If it is completely off topic and not related, (something like blah blah blah blah). Don't post it  smile   This also includes pointless threads.

Even if the post is on topic, if it has many repeated words or a very large gap, it can get annoying at times and isn't really neccesary.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam,

See how annoying that could be? Now imagine it 10x bigger, while it might seem fun to you, other users might not appreciate scrolling half a page to see the next post if all you post is spam, so try to avoid doing it  smile .

Don't give the spammer what they want  wink

What does this mean? Well, most spammers will revive a dead thread or make an irrelevant post to completely knock a thread off topic. It is usually ok to tell them they are off topic, but when 50 different people start arguing that a spammer has spammed...

If you believe this person did not know they did something wrong, it is ok to tell them if no one else has yet, but if they already know and have spammed numerous times, it will soon be dealt with  smile

If it is completely off topic and not related, (something like blah blah blah blah). Don't post it  smile   This also includes pointless threads.

Rudeness: Please don't be rude to other members. if you dislike someone for whatever reason, keep it to yourself. You wouldn't like it if someone repeatedly insulted you.

So in the words of Paddle2see: treat other's as you would like to be treated  smile

Necroposting

Reviving a dead, unneeded thread can be very annoying. However, if you have something to add to the thread that IS relevant, It's usually ok  smile

There's also a 2-week rule in this miscellaneous section of the forums which automatically locks a thread if it hasn't been posted on in 2 weeks. However, you can use the report link to request it to be re-opened if you have something important to say.

Topics in Announcements, Show and Tell, New Members, Advanced Topics, and All About Scratch close after 2 months.

Flaming

Flaming isn't very nice and can lead to a topic being locked if things go out of control.

Flaming is when a user shouts and argues with over nothing. An example.

User 1: Do you think I should try making this?
User 2: NO! That's stupid and already been done! etc:

Basically, if your shouting and arguing over nothing, it's a flame. It doesn't have to be an idea, maybe a thread/someone has spammed. If you must object to something, try constructive critiscm instead or speak nicely. Eg:

User 1: Do you think I should try making this?
User 2: Hmm, It's a nice idea, but It has been done before. Perhaps you could try adding this...

For more on what Isn't allowed, Click here.

------
------

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/5.gif?
The Mods  smile

So how do the forums keep in order? The moderator's help keep things under control. without them, these forums would probably be an endless void of spam and chaos. They have the ability to move, rename, sticky, delete and lock threads, edit and delete your posts. They pretty much control the forums

The current moderators are:

MyRedNeptune, Cheddargirl, Lanie, JSO, Coolstuff, Illusionist, Wolfie1996 and Dazachi.

Paddle2see, Lightnin and Andresmh are members of the Scratch Team, but they do work around the forums at times and sometimes look into any problems such a Glitches and Bugs, before reporting them if needed.

The rest of The Scratch Team also sorts things sometimes, but I don't know them all  smile

Lutz also seems to be a moderator who is part of the Pico Team and works around the sensor boards  smile

------
------

6! (No image yet)

New Scratchers!

Recently a new status was added for new Scratcher Members, "New Scratcher". New Scratchers are upgraded to Members manually if they don't spam/flame etc:. Unlike Members, they don't have access to some of the features.

There are:

1, Editing posts - New Scratchers can not edit the posts they make, so you might want to be careful and check before you hit that Submit button  smile .

2, Post in Advance Topics, Collaboration or Miscellaneous.

3, Reply to topics they create in the Show and Tell? (Needs checking..)

4, New Scratchers have to wait 17 minutes (instead of 1) before they can post another post.

Finnaly, I hope this helps you on the forums  smile
It doesn't list everything (yet), but It's a start.

If something is wrong/missing. Please let me know so I can change it  smile
I'm still editing this. If you have any suggestions, I'll add them.

Also, if there is something you still don't understand about the forums, feel free to ask here and I or somebody else will try and help you  smile

Last edited by 06dknibbs (2010-06-18 12:50:18)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Untitled-3-6.jpg

#2 2009-11-11 09:37:53

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

Re: Guide to the forums.

06dknibbs wrote:

So you're ne to the forums? Here's a few things that I hope will help  smile

The catergories

You will notice that the front page is divided into different sections, I will explain each of these and what there used for.

Announcements

Only the Scratch Team itself can make new topics here, but as the name suggests, they make announcement's such as the next Scratch's release, new ideas for the site etc:

You can reply to these topics though, as the Scratch Team are usually looking for opinions.

New Scratch Members

Pretty self explanotory, if you are new to Scratch, feel free to say hi to all the freindly members. A lot of us will help you get used to Scratch  smile

Show and tell

Have anew project? Want everyone to know about your work? Post it here, but remember:

This is only for announcing things on Scratch! Sometimes the occasional new website or other something pops up here, the moderator's will soon move these to the corect place.

If you have something else to announce, feel free to try the Inspiration & more.

FAQ

Once again, you can't create your own thread here.

If a question is asked repeatedly, it will most likely be added here. If you want to know something, try looking here before creating your own thread  smile  The asnwer may already be here.

------
------

All About Scratch: Want to know something about Scratch? Stuck on a project? Try asking here.

Troubleshooting: Have a problem with Scratch? Did your computer explode when you clicked the green flag? Report it here  smile

Now, these two are slightly different. There is sometimes confusion over where something fall under.

It's simple. Is it a bug, error, mistake that definetly shouldn't happen. Then use the Troubleshooting topic.

Stuck on a project? you don't know something? All About Scratch is your answer.

------
------

Advanced Topics

Want to know some very advanced coding? Interested in knowing something very hard/advanced?

Post here. This topic is usually filled with pretty complicated things though, if your new to Scratch, some thing may be difficult to understand.

But there are many discussuions here, feel free to join in  smile

Sensor Boards

The sensor boards are related to the sensor's in Scratch. Such as the microphone functions, light detecting and more.

Scratch is only compatible with these devices, it cannot provide you with the functions unless you get these for your computer.

Educators

This was used for discussing the teaching aspects of Scratch, but it is moving to [url=scratched.media.mit.edu[/url]Inspiration and more

A lot of things go here, but they must be inspirational and lead to a point.

Please avoid spamming here/anywhere  smile

There we're a lot of Text-based games here, but they now belong here http://scratch.mit.edu/tbgforums

You may have noticed the language topics too.

Please post only in the language used there, but the threads are mainly all that was mentioned above, mixed into one.

Feel free to help the members of another language if you know how to speak that language.

There's also Translating Scratch, and Other languages.
Both are mainly for discussing/translating new languages for Scratch.

------
------

Some things to avoid on the forums

Spam: Silly Pointless Annoying Messages.

Rudeness: Please don't be rude to other members. if you dislike someone for whatever reason, keep it to yourself. You wouldn't like it if someone repeatedly insulted you.

So in the words of Paddle2see: treat other's as you would like to be treated  smile

For more on what Isn't allowed, [url=http://scratch.mit.edu/terms]Click here.[/u]
------
------

The Mods  smile

So how do the forums keep in order? The moderator's help keep things under control, these are:

MyRedNeptune, Cheddargirl, Lanie and Paddle2see

The Scratch Team also sort things sometimes, but I don't know them all  smile

------
------

Finnaly, I hope this helps you on the forums  smile
It doesn't list everything (yet), but It's a start.

If something is wrong/missing. Please let me know so I can change it  smile

I bolded a few errors.

Last edited by floatingmagictree (2009-11-11 09:39:27)

#3 2009-11-11 15:23:42

06dknibbs
Scratcher

*Edit's mistakes*

Thanks FMT  smile

#4 2009-11-11 15:27:30

Mr_X
Scratcher

The number one rule is to "Don't feed the troll"

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8656/exveemonc.gif The rules of the internet:
1) Every woman is a man    2) Every man is a child    3) Every child is an FBI agent                                        I have psychopathic tendencies. Be afraid

#5 2009-11-11 18:49:22

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Hmm, good point.

*Changes some more...*
smile

#6 2009-11-11 22:07:53

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

06dknibbs wrote:

The Mods  smile

So how do the forums keep in order? The moderator's help keep things under control, these are:

You'll need to fix this section. JSO is a moderator so you need to add him to the list. You can keep Paddle2See in there (since he does help with maintaining the forums), but it should be noted that he is a member of the Scratch Team, not just purely a moderator.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#7 2009-11-11 22:31:14

adriangl
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

06dknibbs wrote:

The Mods  smile

You'll need to fix this section. JSO is a moderator so you need to add him to the list. You can keep Paddle2See in there (since he does help with maintaining the forums), but it should be noted that he is a member of the Scratch Team, not just purely a moderator.  smile

And Jens, though he is also a Scratch Team member.

Scratchin' since 2007

#8 2009-11-12 04:28:49

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

There is already the sticky The New User's Handbook. Before you write topics, I suggest that you check if they've already been written. Of course, you might have a good reason to make your own topic (ie. I made a BBCode topic because the other one didn't have everything and it wasn't very clear), or you might just want to write one for fun (I like doing that). Just a reminder... anyway, great topic!

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#9 2009-11-12 06:09:19

06dknibbs
Scratcher

*Edits some more*

--

Jonathan, I looked at everything else first, but this is different  smile

I intend to explain what everything, all I can see is "Don't Spam! etc:" but nothing explains what Spam is, I pretty much am trying to explain everything on the forums in depth a bit.

#10 2009-11-12 06:13:51

ElPapa
Scratcher

Some great tips! I hope these will aid aspiring Scratchers into familiarising themselves with the forum.  smile

Spider Monkey is finished! ...Not that any of you will know what I'm talking about, but please check it out.  smile  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/ElPapa/1021823

#11 2009-11-27 05:25:40

Chrischb
Scratcher

Now that is long! Very well done, and it has nice formatting. *puts a virtual loveit on your thread*

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#12 2009-12-10 08:43:53

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Now that is long! Very well done, and it has nice formatting. *puts a virtual loveit on your thread*

Thanks  smile

--

I updated the moderator section to include Lutz, but I don't know if what I put is right or not..  smile  Anyone know?

Edit: I'm also going to try working on screenshots soon.

Last edited by 06dknibbs (2009-12-10 08:53:01)

#13 2009-12-10 09:37:00

bharti
Scratcher

Hmmm...everything explained more better.

She love scratch | I love Scratch | So She loves me :-)....

#14 2009-12-10 16:40:30

06dknibbs
Scratcher

bharti wrote:

Hmmm...everything explained more better.

Do you mean explain things more?  smile

Which parts should I add more to?  smile

#15 2009-12-10 22:15:31

Chrischb
Scratcher

Ooh, this has been bumped up. Yay!

I like it a lot, but it might help if there were a Contents list. That way it's easier to find stuff.  smile

#16 2009-12-11 08:26:20

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

I like it a lot, but it might help if there were a Contents list. That way it's easier to find stuff.  smile

Hmm, I'll work on that tonight  smile .

#17 2009-12-11 16:24:16

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

I added a contents  smile

Thanks ^^

#18 2009-12-11 18:07:28

Diagram
Scratcher

Thanks Knibbs, this really helped me!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ynf1wg.png

#19 2009-12-28 16:08:26

coolperson
Scratcher

These are good tips!

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#20 2010-01-22 06:04:58

Chrischb
Scratcher

I don't mind bumps as long as they're on threads like these.  tongue

Last edited by Chrischb (2010-01-22 06:05:10)

#21 2010-05-08 19:51:13

06dknibbs
Scratcher

T'has been a while Scratch xD

But I felt like bumping this, even though it needs updating now  smile
I'll try and sort that on Monday.

#22 2010-05-08 20:03:08

Chrischb
Scratcher

My next guide MUST be longer than this!  yikes
I started work on it, and it's going to be long...  wink

#23 2010-05-25 14:42:45

Solarbuddy
Scratcher

Sorry I already posted this.
Here: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22162
It's in the FAQ topic.

Last edited by Solarbuddy (2010-05-25 14:46:22)

http://bit.ly/Vn3zid
                  View my latest project

#24 2010-05-25 14:48:34

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Solarbuddy wrote:

Sorry I already posted this.
Here: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22162
It's in the FAQ topic.

Edit: My guide has been around for months >__>

But yours works too ^^

--Side note: *Headdesk..* I forgot the update. But it'll definitely be sorted tomorrow  smile

Last edited by 06dknibbs (2010-05-25 14:51:22)

#25 2010-05-25 17:51:52

shamrocker
Scratcher

I added this to The Whole Enchilada New User's Guide.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s1b32e.png
respect the oxford comma

Board footer