This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2009-10-28 21:11:50

greenflash
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: How to make your projects/galleries popular

Hooray! It's a sticky!  smile

Congrats JPB!

Last edited by greenflash (2009-10-28 21:12:10)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wrkirk.pnghttp://i46.tinypic.com/6r5zk7.pnghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2vtxr1t.png

#27 2009-10-28 21:32:56

fg123
Scratcher

Yay!

Hai.

#28 2009-10-29 01:38:35

Chrischb
Scratcher

Congratulations on being stickied!

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#29 2009-10-29 01:39:44

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Stickied  smile

Ya-hoo! First actual sticky (instead of being in a multi-sticky sticky)! I'm so excited!

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#30 2009-10-29 01:42:44

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Wow, this is amazing! I will look at this often. I like how you mentioned ways to get known without using the forums, because most users don't use the forums. You are also right about how most Show & Tell advertisements don't get noticed, because every time I make one, asking for feedback, I don't get replies to the posts, or comments on the project. I do suppose though that I could use your tip on a proper ad if I ever make a new one. Thanks for the great tips!

Edit: Also, I do agree with the meaningful comments. I used to do them the wrong way, but now I will type a lot in a comment, because it does make for a better comment if you leave feedback.

That was a meaningful post you just posted! Thanks for the compliments.

You know, one time I posted an advertisement... and just like you, no one seemed to notice it. That's rather annoying when you write a brilliant ad (I'm not talking about what I wrote) and no one views it.

The bit about meaningful comments was from Andrés. Teamwork!  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#31 2009-10-29 16:59:56

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Wow, this is amazing! I will look at this often. I like how you mentioned ways to get known without using the forums, because most users don't use the forums. You are also right about how most Show & Tell advertisements don't get noticed, because every time I make one, asking for feedback, I don't get replies to the posts, or comments on the project. I do suppose though that I could use your tip on a proper ad if I ever make a new one. Thanks for the great tips!

Edit: Also, I do agree with the meaningful comments. I used to do them the wrong way, but now I will type a lot in a comment, because it does make for a better comment if you leave feedback.

That was a meaningful post you just posted! Thanks for the compliments.

You know, one time I posted an advertisement... and just like you, no one seemed to notice it. That's rather annoying when you write a brilliant ad (I'm not talking about what I wrote) and no one views it.

The bit about meaningful comments was from Andrés. Teamwork!  smile

Thanks, and yes, I did make that meaningful because I had read it, and then I thought "Why don't I start now?", so I did.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#32 2009-11-01 23:58:34

mathewhayden10
Scratcher

Hi Jonath.
Myself Mathew from United States of America, Just read your post and all the problem faced by you in getting your project popular. I am a software developer and seeking a good site at which I can upload my demo project and make my work worth. If anyone got any knowledge regarding this stuff than please do reply me.
Thanks for your post and stay connect.

#33 2009-11-02 01:00:40

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Glad to hear you've read it.

For this, I recommend All About Scratch. The Show and Tell forum is for advertising projects and galleries, and not for help. Thanks!

-Charlotte Brontë

#34 2009-11-04 03:54:08

doogle26
Scratcher

http://i36.tinypic.com/2u8zbdj.png
Awesome stuff man
--------------------------------
Doogle Productions

Last edited by doogle26 (2009-11-04 04:02:09)

#35 2009-11-04 07:54:57

pinochio
Scratcher

A Very good Help! I will try this immediately, when I upload my project!

Flat Out G

#36 2009-11-10 17:31:40

24ever
Scratcher

cool

#37 2009-11-10 19:10:57

Lukster99
Scratcher

Yes but there are still thousands of show and tell topics so what are the chances that someone is going to pick your project?

#38 2009-11-10 19:25:59

ThePCKid
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

Yay again!  smile

(This hasn't been seen in a while, so I'm also bumping this up!)

Huh? LOL :p

#39 2009-11-10 20:02:19

funkymonkey
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

At the time of writing, there were plenty of stickies in the Show and Tell forum. But when I browsed through them, I realized that none of them actually said how to get your project popular (and more than just using the Show and Tell).

yes there is/was
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2152

Last edited by funkymonkey (2009-11-10 20:02:29)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/hprules_photos/banner2.jpg
Kuzimu: Dawn of a New Age                                                                                                  Coming May 2010

#40 2009-11-10 21:25:49

TheSaint
Scratcher

I have three steps that one must follow to get a great project following. Works for me. No less than 30 comments, 20 love-its and 150 views on any of my projects.
3 Step Process:
1. Make a good, PROFESSIONAL project. Cannot believe how much good this does. People may not like your homade drawings unless you are like Maki-tak with great drawing skills If you arem't, I suggest spriters resource. Fix glitches, use non-annoying music, and give the project a good purpose. Make it look nearly as good as flash. Trust me, it works wonders on popularity.
2. After uploading, IMMEDIATLY add it to galleries. Example: You have a game like Space Invaders/Pheonix. Search for galleries such as "Alien" Add it to every single one that is actually related to alien. Now serach up Aliens, Alein, space, spaceships, shooter, retrogames, stars, missiles, lasers, outer space. Add it to all of those galleries. This helps a bucketload.
3. Post on Fourms, but Jonathonpb has that covered.

Just keep at it and eventually people will remeber you.  big_smile

#41 2009-11-10 23:31:29

adriangl
Scratcher

Here is one extremely unknown but AMAZINGLY effective method.
I had never had any projects on the front page, or a project with over 100 views. After this, I had them both. It is very simple...make a project for the Scratch Design Studio. It always is about a certain subject and almost everyone does it, and views the gallery, so there is a big chance of going big! Make sure it is professional, explained by the above post, based on the design studio, upload it and ka-boom! It also raises your chances because there is a section where everyone can see projects from the design studio on the front page.

Scratchin' since 2007

#42 2009-11-10 23:42:32

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Lukster99 wrote:

Yes but there are still thousands of show and tell topics so what are the chances that someone is going to pick your project?

Not much... but it improves your chances.

ThePCKid wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Yay again!  smile

(This hasn't been seen in a while, so I'm also bumping this up!)

Huh? LOL :p

That was before it got stickied... and it wouldn't have if I didn't.  tongue

funkymonkey wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

At the time of writing, there were plenty of stickies in the Show and Tell forum. But when I browsed through them, I realized that none of them actually said how to get your project popular (and more than just using the Show and Tell).

yes there is/was
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2152

That's different... there wasn't any actual topic giving tips and tricks for the Show and Tell, the rest of the forums, and the Scratch Website. And it's all in the topic post here. And I enjoy writing topics anyway...

-Charlotte Brontë

#43 2009-11-10 23:44:54

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

TheSaint wrote:

I have three steps that one must follow to get a great project following. Works for me. No less than 30 comments, 20 love-its and 150 views on any of my projects.
3 Step Process:
1. Make a good, PROFESSIONAL project. Cannot believe how much good this does. People may not like your homade drawings unless you are like Maki-tak with great drawing skills If you arem't, I suggest spriters resource. Fix glitches, use non-annoying music, and give the project a good purpose. Make it look nearly as good as flash. Trust me, it works wonders on popularity.
2. After uploading, IMMEDIATLY add it to galleries. Example: You have a game like Space Invaders/Pheonix. Search for galleries such as "Alien" Add it to every single one that is actually related to alien. Now serach up Aliens, Alein, space, spaceships, shooter, retrogames, stars, missiles, lasers, outer space. Add it to all of those galleries. This helps a bucketload.

Ooh! I got to put this in the topic post... even better, I'll create a section for tips from other people! Exciting!

-Charlotte Brontë

#44 2009-11-10 23:45:55

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

adriangl wrote:

I had never had any projects on the front page, or a project with over 100 views. After this, I had them both. It is very simple...make a project for the Scratch Design Studio. It always is about a certain subject and almost everyone does it, and views the gallery, so there is a big chance of going big! Make sure it is professional, explained by the above post, based on the design studio, upload it and ka-boom! It also raises your chances because there is a section where everyone can see projects from the design studio on the front page.

This is already in there... but yes, it works really well. I recently got a project on there that way!  tongue

-Charlotte Brontë

#45 2009-11-10 23:49:05

adriangl
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

adriangl wrote:

This is already in there... but yes, it works really well. I recently got a project on there that way!  tongue

I really like this way. My first front page project...easily  tongue

Scratchin' since 2007

#46 2009-11-10 23:51:41

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

It's really easy.  tongue

Updated the topic post! At the bottom it has tips from other people...

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-11-10 23:51:53)

-Charlotte Brontë

#47 2009-11-15 22:50:55

SpidermanNZ
Scratcher

Thank's for helping  smile  !

#48 2009-11-22 08:27:05

olic32
Scratcher

Thanks for all your help jonathonpb: heres my advert

Check out this amazing game i am in the process of making. its EPIC (well sort of) and has incredible PROFFESIONAL graphics (maybe)

However... i need ideas on how the story should go so go on it (BLOCKA by olic32) comment and help it get EVEN GREATER

Cheers

#49 2009-11-22 23:40:29

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Glad to have helped.

If you have an advertisment, please make a topic for it. Thanks!

-Charlotte Brontë

#50 2009-11-23 07:42:07

jake451998
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

At the time of writing, there were plenty of stickies in the Show and Tell forum. But when I browsed through them, I realized that none of them actually said how to get your project popular (and more than just using the Show and Tell). So I thought that I would write this so there would be a sticky covering the topic.

This focuses mainly with projects (obviously), but follow the guidelines for galleries as well (though you can't get your galleries added to a gallery).

Note that tips from other people are at the bottom. I recommend reading them. And you can post your tips, and I'll check them out!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Contents (for a quick guide, but I recommend reading the full instructions)
Forums
How to post your advertisments in Show and Tell
Advertising in your signature
Mentioning your projects in appropiate topics
Scratch Website
Making friends and why
Posting meaningful comments and why
Browse the Scratch Website
Add plenty of appropiate tags
Recommend projects to people who will be interested
Get your stuff in galleries
Get your stuff in galleries by the Scratch Design Studio
Tips by others
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Advertising in Show and Tell (and how to do it)

greenflash has a sticky explaining how to get a better ad. That is perfectly fine. But since I'm writing this topic, I'll do my own...

•Choose a good name for your ad. Tell me, which sounds better: "VISIT THIS PROJECT NOW! PLZ!" or "My project, ________". The second one, obviously, but that topic name is a bit bland. Who would view that? The topic name has to be exciting. For example, "______: The ultimate chatbot!". Nice and neat, and you can say "The ultimate chatbot!" without getting into trouble. At that level, you're just adding excitement. Go too far and you'll look silly.
•Have a good description. Don't make the whole topic just a link... that is just idiotic. You need to actually give information... okay? Here's an example (I will use good grammar for both examples so you can get the point clearer, and for clarity; it's nicer):

The horrible topic:

Check out my AWESOME project, __________. It is the best project in the universe, and IT ROCKS! MUST PLAY!

Bad. No actual description, and way too boasty. Never post like that.

The good topic:

Please check out my new project, __________. It is a flight simulator. Unlike most Scratch flight simulators, you see what the plane sees and you can dive up and down nicely.

I would like to hear some feedback on the following, so I will know what to improve on.

How good was the flying?
How good were the graphics?
How good were the controls?
Was it accurate?

Thanks!

Do you get it? Actually have something. Don't just invite everyone to view your project! Actually give them something.
•Use good grammar. You will be respected and look like a sensible person whose projects they should view, instead of someone who does not know anything about manners. Manners will take you a long way.
•Put a link to your project. More people will also view your project, instead of just thinking "I'm so lazy, I won't bother to look for that project". It is helpful and looks nice and shows 'respect' as well. And it's easy for ad readers.
Additional things are:
•Ask for feedback. It will help you improve your project.

Of course, Show and Tell is barely anything, whether using the forums or not. Two other things for advertising in the forums:
•Advertise in your signature. Add a picture if possible and give a quick description that'll fit into your signature. It is much better than saying "MY PROJECT! (link)". It helps if you don't make the advertisement just a small part of your signature. Make your signature an advertisment, instead of a normal signature with a small advertisement.
•Mention your project/gallery in an appropiate All About Scratch/Inspiration and More thread. If there's a thread about galleries, consider mentioning your gallery. The same applies to projects (though galleries probably will work better).

For getting popular projects without using the forums, there are still plenty of ways.

•Get lots of friends. I don't mean people on your friend list... I mean true friends. If you don't get me, think about your friends in real life. The friends on Scratch should be the same type of friend as your actual friends. That shows that there is an actual relationship between you. Oh, don't forget that you should be on their friend lists, and they should be on yours.

What's the point of getting these friends anyway? A few reasons:
1. If you're on their friend list and they actually like you, they'll want to visit your project whenever they see a new project by you in the "My Friends' Latest Projects. If you get enough friends, you may get plenty of views and things. Comments may come also.
2. They'll actually care about your projects instead of other people who just view it and leave without caring.

Simple.

•Post meaningful comments, not just simple ones. This may seem just manners, and not going to help. Actually, it does help. Meaningful comments build friendships better than ones like "That's good." Tell me, which is better:

The meaningless comment:

That's a good project!

How dull is that? You're just saying that the project is great. Nothing big. That's actually quite a good comment for being nice; you can always post "Good.", which is amazingly dull and meaningless.

The meaningful comment:

That's amazing! I love the way that you added velocity to that scrolling... it makes the tablet much more realistic. And the design... it's as good as a real operating system! It just blows my mind away. Just one question: How did you do the dragging of icons?

Much better. You're saying it's good, along with how you liked a special touch and you complimented it nicely. The question is a bonus. It shows that you've payed attention and are interested in how the person programmed it.

To make meaningful comments (if you're still confused), use this as some guidelines:
•Show that you've actually tried the project and different aspects of it.
•Act interested. It shows that you appreciate the work put into the project.
•Compliment the project, but do it better than just "That's awesome!". Do things like "It's as good as a real flight simulator! Great scenery!" (along with rule 1, it shows that you've actually seen the project).

•Browse the Scratch Website. This may seem ridiculous, but you'll 'meet' lots of people and you'll find lots of good projects and galleries. Learn from them; it'll make your projects better and more people will like them (you can't really improve galleries, apart from the projects inside them).

•Add plenty of tags. There are plenty of amazing projects that have little or no tags. Add plenty, but avoid using tags like "awesome"; that's saying that your project is good, which is sort of like bragging. And post sensible tags.

•Recommend a project or two to someone that might like the project[s]. Naturally, you don't want to actually recommend something for no reason at all (besides the fact that you want to get your project viewed). Think about it; if someone likes chatbots and you've made a chatbot, recommend it to them! If someone won't be interested in the chatbot, don't recommend it. If you persist, they will be annoyed and might flag your comments. So only recommend to people who you know will be interested. And post nicely (see the bit about posting a good Show and Tell topic above, but keep it short).

•Get your stuff in galleries. It's simple. Just go to a gallery, mention your project with a link, and wait. If they bother to check your project and they like it, then you're in!

•Get in the galleries by the Scratch Design Studio. This is one of the amazingly easy ways to get on the front page, but of course, your project has to be good and they have to like it. A lot of the projects in those galleries end up on the front page under the row Projects by the Scratch Design Studio.

If all else fails...
•Scream for mercy. Use capitalizing. Italics are not neccessary and they don't give the right effect. Bold makes it too powerful, while underline doesn't give the right effect. Exclamation marks are a must. Improper grammar helps and gives the right effect. If you need to, post over and over. And whatever you do, don't admit that you're crazy. It does not bring sympathy. You're not taking me seriously, are you? Well, of course not.

Here are the tips from other people. Post yours!

andresmh wrote:

There are a few ways to get more visibility for your projects:

1. Tags. Projects that are tagged are easily found not only from Scratch members but also I've found that other websites link to groups of projects tagged in Scratch.

2. Comment on other people's projects. If you comment and give constructive feedback to others people tend to click on your username and look at your projects and even post comments. Do not respond to mean and negative comments though, just ignore those.

3. Find people with similar interests. People with specific and similar interests tend to look at each others projects more. For example, if you like to make projects about "chocolate cookies" (just an example) then find people who make projects about the same topic or about "cookies" or "food". Then you can even create projects together. This leads sometimes to having galleries as a place to share this common interests.

3.1 Galleries are good, but only specific ones!. I have seen people creating galleries where they invite people to put "anything". These galleries are not useful because they tend to grow so much, become too crowded and without any specific direction. Smaller galleries with very specific topics are better.

4. Get your friends from real life (school or from your neighborhood) to use Scratch and participate on the Scratch website. It's very likely that if they are friends in real life they will look at your projects more often.

5. Use sprites made by others. For example, MyRedNeptune and other people have created galleries where you can ask them to draw something for you so you can use it in your projects. They are great artists and programmers who can help you create really cool projects. You can use some of their sprites or ask them for some new ones and I am sure they will go and see what you made with those sprites.

6. Be patient and don't seek fame for the sake of fame. Creating projects is first and most importantly something you should make because you like it not only because you want to be famous or to get a lot of people's attention. With time, your projects will get better and better and you'll see you'll get more attention and friends who will look at your projects.

Anyway, these are just some tips that I just thought about. I hope they are useful. Maybe you can create a project describing this tips? ;-)

Thanks a lot for posting your concern,  it made me think about this topic and I like to think about things like that  smile 

Scratch on!

andresmh wrote:

Meaningful comments on other people's projects is something really helpful too. If you visit other people's projects and leave meaningful comments (not just "cool" or "check out my projects") then people would feel inclined to reciprocate.  Try visiting other people's projects and tell them with all honesty and respect what you like and what you would like to see in a future versions. You will get especially good feedback from those who have put a lot of effort in making their projects and who have not yet received that much feedback.

TheSaint wrote:

3 Step Process:

Hope this helped you!
Jonathanpb

nice tips!These will realy help me and other people.

Board footer