This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-10-21 01:55:06

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

ITopic: How to make your projects/galleries popular

At the time of writing, there were plenty of stickies in the Show and Tell forum - but when I browsed through them, I realized that none of them actually said how to get your project popular (and more than just using the Show and Tell). So, I thought that I would write this so there would be a topic for it. And hey, it got stickied (and now ITopic'd)  big_smile

This guide mainly focuses on projects (obviously), but you can follow the guidelines for galleries as well (though you can't get your galleries added to a gallery).

Note that tips from other people are at the bottom - I recommend reading them. You can post your own tips, too - and I'll check them out!

Contents
A quick note
Forums
How to post your advertisments in Show and Tell
Advertising in your signature
Mentioning your projects in appropriate topics
Scratch Website
About making better projects and galleries
Making friends and why
Posting meaningful comments and why
Browse the Scratch Website
Add plenty of appropriate tags
Recommend projects to people who will be interested
Get your stuff in galleries
Get your stuff in galleries by the Scratch Design Studio
Tips by others
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Before we dive into this guide, I'll point something out: Make your projects and galleries good if you want them to be popular. If your stuff isn't good, it's not very likely that it'll become popular.
For help, see the following topics below. No one's created any guides for galleries yet, sorry.
Bobby500's How To Make A Better Project.
cheddargirl's multi-ITopic PROGRAM IT! Scratch Programming Tutorials
You can suggest a link to be added if you want. Anyway, two more things before we move on:

• Give your projects a good icon. If you saw a project that had an uninteresting picture, would you visit it? No... but how about an interesting image? Yes! So make the icon good - but don't cheat and create an image that doesn't have anything to do with your project.

• Give your projects and galleries good names. A project called "Calculator" or "Chatbot" isn't very interesting or appealing... If you have to, create a special name for your project - for example, if you had a project that could encrypt and decrypt messages, you wouldn't want to give it a name like "Code program"... try something different like "Code Messenger" - but don't use that name; I've already used it.

The Scratch Forums

Advertising in Show and Tell (and how to do it)

There is an ITopic written by greenflash that explains how to produce a better ad - that's perfectly fine, but as I'm writing about Show and Tell advertising, I'll cover it too...

• Choose a good name for your ad. Which sounds better: "VISIT THIS PROJECT NOW, PLZ!" or "My project, ________"? The second one, of course - but that title is a little bit bland. Who would view that? You see, the topic name has to be exciting. For example, "______: The ultimate chatbot!". Nice and neat, and it looks promising. However, going too far will create the opposite effect, and also make you look silly.

• Use a good description. Don't make the whole topic post just a link... that is weak, to put it simply. You need to actually give information... Here's an example - I will use good grammar in both examples for clarity and so you can get the point easier:

The bad topic:

Check out my AWESOME project, __________!!! It is the best project in the universe, and IT ABSOLUTELY ROCKS! MUST PLAY!

Horrible; there isn't an actual description, and the text is way too boasty. Don't create advertisements like that.

The good topic:

Please check out my new project, __________. It is a flight simulator. Unlike most flight simulators on Scratch, you can see what the plane sees and turn it up and down.

I'd like to hear some feedback on the following, so I will know what to improve on.

How good was the flying?
How good were the graphics?
How good were the controls?
Was it realistic?

Thanks!

Do you understand? Give your readers a good reason to view the project, and make it look interesting.

• Use good grammar. Without it, you can give the wrong impression and look like a sloth. Advertisements with grammar make you look smart, and as smart people generally program better than the dumb ones...

• Give a link to your project. Some people aren't bothered to go to your stuff and browse for the advertised project - providing a link makes things easy for everyone, and will let the lazier people view your project too.

• Don't forget to ask for feedback!

Of course, Show and Tell isn't all to advertising in the Scratch forums:

• Advertise in your signature (if you have one). Add a picture if possible (make it interesting!), and give a quick description that'll fit into your signature. It is much better to do all of that than simply giving the text "MY PROJECT! (link)". Lastly, it really helps if you don't make the advertisement a minor part of your signature. If you're serious about attracting viewers, devote your whole signature to the project.

• Mention your project/gallery in an appropriate All About Scratch/Inspiration and More thread. If there's a thread about galleries, consider mentioning your gallery. The same applies to projects (though galleries probably will work better). Be careful not to spam, however - keep your posts related to the topic and only mention your project if appropriate.

The Scratch Website

There are many ways to get views for your projects and galleries without using the forums.

•Get lots of friends. By that, I don't mean people on your friend list... I mean actual friends. These friends I'm talking about should bear a resemblance to your friends in real life. Oh - don't forget that you should be on their friend lists, and they should be on yours.

What's the point of getting these friends anyway? A few reasons:

1. If you're on their friend list and they actually like you, they'll want to visit every new project by you whenever they see one in "My Friends' Latest Projects". If you get enough friends, it's quite possible to get plenty of views and comments.
2. They'll actually care about your projects, rather than others that simply view the project and leave without caring.

Keep one thing in mind, however - your friends should not be used as tools. They are real people and should not be kept as friends merely for the sake of attracting views.

For the shy people that want to get some friends on Scratch:

•Post meaningful comments, not just simple ones. This may seem like plain manners, but it does help; meaningful comments build friendships better than simple ones like "That's good."

The meaningless comment:

That's a good project!

That comment is dull and useless; you're just saying that the project is great. Nothing big...

The meaningful comment:

That's amazing! I love the way that you added velocity to that scrolling... it makes the tablet much more realistic. And the design... it's as good as a real operating system! It just blows my mind away. Just one question: How did you do the dragging of icons?

Much better; it shows that you actually spent some time describing what was good about the project. The question is a bonus, by the way; it shows that you payed attention to the project and are interested in how the person programmed it.

To make meaningful comments (if you're still confused), use the following as some guidelines:

• Show that you actually tried the project and different aspects of it.
• Sound interested; it shows that you appreciate the work put into the project.
• Compliment the project, but do it sincerely and without the overused "That's awesome!" statement. Say things like "It's as good as a real flight simulator! Great scenery!". (Along with rule 1, it shows that you've actually seen the project).

• Browse the Scratch Website. This may seem ridiculous, but you'll 'meet' lots of people and you'll find lots of good projects and galleries. Learn from them; it'll make your projects better and more people will like them (you can't really improve galleries, apart from the projects inside them and their management).

•Add plenty of tags to your projects. There are plenty of amazing projects out there, many that have little or no tags. Add plenty of tags, but avoid using tags like "awesome"; that's simply boasting about your project.

• Recommend some of your projects to people that might like them. Naturally, you don't want to actually recommend something for no reason at all (besides the fact that you want to get your project viewed). Think about it; if someone likes chatbots and you've made a chatbot, recommend yours to them! If someone won't be interested in the chatbot, don't recommend it. If you persist, they will be annoyed and might flag your comments. So... only recommend your projects to people who you know will be interested. And post nicely (see the bit about posting a good Show and Tell topic above), but keep it short.

• Get your stuff in galleries. It's simple. Just go to a gallery, mention your project with a link, and wait. If they bother to check your project and they like it, then you're in!

• Get in the galleries by the Scratch Design Studio. This is one of the amazingly easy ways to get on the front page, but of course, your project has to be good and they have to like it. A lot of the projects in those galleries end up on the front page under the row Projects by the Scratch Design Studio.

If all else fails...

• Scream for mercy! Use capitalizing. Italics are not neccessary and they don't give the right effect. Bold makes it too powerful, while underline doesn't give the right effect. Exclamation marks are a must. Improper grammar helps and gives the right effect. If you need to, post over and over. And whatever you do, don't admit that you're crazy; it does not bring sympathy.

An example:

GUYSS I'M SOOOO FED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY PROJECTS ABSOLUTELY NNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDD MOAR VIEWS< AND YOU"RE NOT HELPING :@

IIIIIII THINK I MIGHT QUIT SCCRATCH  NOW    YOU"RE ALL NOOBS AND I HATEA YOU

VIEW MAH PROJECT BTW NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW -_-  >_> CUUUUURRRRRSEEEE SCCRATCHHHHHHHH

I do hope that you're not taking me seriously...
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are the tips from other people. Post yours!

andresmh wrote:

There are a few ways to get more visibility for your projects:

1. Tags. Projects that are tagged are easily found not only from Scratch members but also I've found that other websites link to groups of projects tagged in Scratch.

2. Comment on other people's projects. If you comment and give constructive feedback to others people tend to click on your username and look at your projects and even post comments. Do not respond to mean and negative comments though, just ignore those.

3. Find people with similar interests. People with specific and similar interests tend to look at each others projects more. For example, if you like to make projects about "chocolate cookies" (just an example) then find people who make projects about the same topic or about "cookies" or "food". Then you can even create projects together. This leads sometimes to having galleries as a place to share this common interests.

3.1 Galleries are good, but only specific ones!. I have seen people creating galleries where they invite people to put "anything". These galleries are not useful because they tend to grow so much, become too crowded and without any specific direction. Smaller galleries with very specific topics are better.

4. Get your friends from real life (school or from your neighborhood) to use Scratch and participate on the Scratch website. It's very likely that if they are friends in real life they will look at your projects more often.

5. Use sprites made by others. For example, MyRedNeptune and other people have created galleries where you can ask them to draw something for you so you can use it in your projects. They are great artists and programmers who can help you create really cool projects. You can use some of their sprites or ask them for some new ones and I am sure they will go and see what you made with those sprites.

6. Be patient and don't seek fame for the sake of fame. Creating projects is first and most importantly something you should make because you like it not only because you want to be famous or to get a lot of people's attention. With time, your projects will get better and better and you'll see you'll get more attention and friends who will look at your projects.

Anyway, these are just some tips that I just thought about. I hope they are useful. Maybe you can create a project describing this tips? ;-)

Thanks a lot for posting your concern,  it made me think about this topic and I like to think about things like that  smile 

Scratch on!

andresmh wrote:

Meaningful comments on other people's projects is something really helpful too. If you visit other people's projects and leave meaningful comments (not just "cool" or "check out my projects") then people would feel inclined to reciprocate.  Try visiting other people's projects and tell them with all honesty and respect what you like and what you would like to see in a future versions. You will get especially good feedback from those who have put a lot of effort in making their projects and who have not yet received that much feedback.

DarthPickley wrote:

you could find some advert projects that are getting lots of views and post an ad there.

HarleyK wrote:

1. Post worthwhile comments on projects and forums (especially if they would be intrested in seeing your projects). Avoid typos if possible.
2. Projects are often found under tags. Adding relevent tags to a project is impotant if you want views.
3. In the Show and Tell forum, post an ad.
4. Make sure the project is graphically sound, and it is well made. Projects will get more views if the person has spent time making them. Intead of making 2 projects that get a few views, make one that gets lots!
5. An easy way to get views is for people to actually CLICK on your project. Projects with more views are found more easily. Add a worthwhile title, and try to make the image of your project eyecatching.
6. And be patient.

They're my ideas.  smile

HD123 wrote:

1. Be a kind Scratcher and help others who need help. This can get people to start recognizing you for your good deeds.
2. Collaborate with other Scratchers. If you know Scratchers who you know well and you could truly call a friend, and you help make projects, people might see that you helped make a certain project and look at your projects.

MrMunchkin wrote:

I would also like to suggest that you have a bold picture which stands out so when people see your project they choose that one rather than the others around it, if that makes sense. Make it professional... If on the front page I see a project with an uninteresting picture with poorly drawn graphics i wouldn't view it. :p Hope this helped.

TheSaint wrote:

I have three steps that one must follow to get a great project following. Works for me. No less than 30 comments, 20 love-its and 150 views on any of my projects.
3 Step Process:
1. Make a good, PROFESSIONAL project. Cannot believe how much good this does. People may not like your homade drawings unless you are like Maki-tak with great drawing skills If you arem't, I suggest spriters resource. Fix glitches, use non-annoying music, and give the project a good purpose. Make it look nearly as good as flash. Trust me, it works wonders on popularity.
2. After uploading, IMMEDIATLY add it to galleries. Example: You have a game like Space Invaders/Pheonix. Search for galleries such as "Alien" Add it to every single one that is actually related to alien. Now serach up Aliens, Alein, space, spaceships, shooter, retrogames, stars, missiles, lasers, outer space. Add it to all of those galleries. This helps a bucketload.
3. Post on Fourms, but Jonathonpb has that covered.

Just keep at it and eventually people will remember you.  big_smile

Hope this helped you!
Jonathanpb

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2011-03-31 01:26:07)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#2 2009-10-21 01:56:43

jacool
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: How to make your projects/galleries popular

Nice  smile

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss159/JacobKar/svensktiger-1.png

#3 2009-10-21 02:07:31

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

jacool wrote:

Nice  smile

Yay!  big_smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#4 2009-10-21 05:51:38

pmpavc
Scratcher

Excellent!

#5 2009-10-21 05:57:51

Chrischb
Scratcher

How about we get the moderators to sticky this?  wink

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#6 2009-10-22 03:25:42

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Thanks everyone!  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#7 2009-10-22 06:17:04

TheSaint
Scratcher

Thats a good guide.

#8 2009-10-25 02:28:50

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Yay again!  smile

(This hasn't been seen in a while, so I'm also bumping this up!)

-Charlotte Brontë

#9 2009-10-25 03:06:35

fg123
Scratcher

Should be sticked!

Hai.

#10 2009-10-25 04:53:58

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Some very good points here but I have some strong objections to the tone.  When you use words like "stupid", "idiot", "idiotic" and so on, it just sounds mean to me, like you are putting down less experienced people.  It doesn't reflect well on you as a teacher either, in my humble opinion.

Perhaps you might explore ways to guide people without using insulting language. 

I also object to your characterization of the entire Scratch Community as "cruel".  We try very hard to make Scratch a friendly place where everybody can feel welcome.  It is an ideal, to be sure, and there is always room for improvement.  However, that is the goal.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help your fellow Scratchers.  I certainly appreciate the time and effort you have put into this guide.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#11 2009-10-26 00:06:45

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

I'm sorry. I've edited it.

I don't use the words on particular people; I do it on no one in particular. Insulting people in particular would be silly and make me look silly as well. But still, as you've said, there's always room for improvement. If people think that I'm being rude, I'll change.

When I said that the Scratch Community was mean, that was a joke. We're not mean! We try to help each other. But I've gotten rid of that as well, since it didn't seem too clear to you (other people might think the same way).

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-10-26 04:41:54)

-Charlotte Brontë

#12 2009-10-26 05:24:41

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Jonathanpb wrote:

I don't use the words on particular people; I do it on no one in particular. Insulting people in particular would be silly and make me look silly as well. But still, as you've said, there's always room for improvement. If people think that I'm being rude, I'll change.

When I said that the Scratch Community was mean, that was a joke. We're not mean! We try to help each other. But I've gotten rid of that as well, since it didn't seem too clear to you (other people might think the same way).

I like it much better - thanks for taking the time to edit it.  The problem with making jokes in a text document is that there are no obvious cues to clarify when a joke is being made and sometimes it can be confusing.  Your last paragraph is a good example ... the part about screaming and posting again and again is, I think, meant to be a joke.  It might be a good idea to throw in a simple "(just joking!)" so that younger readers aren't confused  smile

#13 2009-10-26 08:27:09

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

Paddle2See wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

I like it much better - thanks for taking the time to edit it.  The problem with making jokes in a text document is that there are no obvious cues to clarify when a joke is being made and sometimes it can be confusing.  Your last paragraph is a good example ... the part about screaming and posting again and again is, I think, meant to be a joke.  It might be a good idea to throw in a simple "(just joking!)" so that younger readers aren't confused  smile

Yay now let's stick this. ^-^

(actually, I was going to do my own guide... xP ....oh well ^^)

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#14 2009-10-26 10:15:00

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Meaningful comments on other people's projects is something really helpful too. If you visit other people's projects and leave meaningful comments (not just "cool" or "check out my projects") then people would feel inclined to reciprocate.  Try visiting other people's projects and tell them with all honesty and respect what you like and what you would like to see in a future versions. You will get especially good feedback from those who have put a lot of effort in making their projects and who have not yet received that much feedback.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#15 2009-10-26 10:22:58

jacool
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

You're right, Paddle2see is one of those who posts really good and helpful comments  smile

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss159/JacobKar/svensktiger-1.png

#16 2009-10-26 11:42:59

Mr_X
Scratcher

Yay, this topic!

Now that we've gone over that, Jon's a teacher? For rilz?

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8656/exveemonc.gif The rules of the internet:
1) Every woman is a man    2) Every man is a child    3) Every child is an FBI agent                                        I have psychopathic tendencies. Be afraid

#17 2009-10-27 00:29:16

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

Mr_X wrote:

Yay, this topic!

Now that we've gone over that, Jon's a teacher? For rilz?

No, Paddle2See didn't mean it in the formal sense.

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#18 2009-10-27 00:42:34

greenflash
Scratcher

Nice!  tongue  I agree about the stickiness of this particular topic. It's just waiting to be stuck!  big_smile

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wrkirk.pnghttp://i46.tinypic.com/6r5zk7.pnghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2vtxr1t.png

#19 2009-10-27 00:57:00

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

It might be a good idea to throw in a simple "(just joking!)" so that younger readers aren't confused  smile

Sure!  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#20 2009-10-27 00:58:24

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

MyRedNeptune wrote:

I was going to do my own guide... xP ....oh well ^^)

Oh, too bad. What else is there to write before you write it before me?  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#21 2009-10-27 01:01:08

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

I suppose this is an extention of the friendship idea... but it's great! It's true how when you actually post comments that are meaningful, you get respected more. And that may leed to friendship (as a bonus, of course).

Feedback is great! You know what to improve on, and what's already good.  smile

I'll add this.  big_smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#22 2009-10-27 01:07:26

Chrischb
Scratcher

I"m saying it again... it should be stickied.

How many people have said that?

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#23 2009-10-27 01:13:53

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Updated! It now includes André's mention (meaningful comments), along with my guidelines to meaningful comments and two examples.  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#24 2009-10-28 13:27:47

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Stickied  smile

#25 2009-10-28 14:19:43

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Wow, this is amazing! I will look at this often. I like how you mentioned ways to get known without using the forums, because most users don't use the forums. You are also right about how most Show & Tell advertisements don't get noticed, because every time I make one, asking for feedback, I don't get replies to the posts, or comments on the project. I do suppose though that I could use your tip on a proper ad if I ever make a new one. Thanks for the great tips!

Edit: Also, I do agree with the meaningful comments. I used to do them the wrong way, but now I will type a lot in a comment, because it does make for a better comment if you leave feedback.

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2009-10-28 14:41:23)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

Board footer