This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#351 2009-10-16 00:16:41

Magnie
Scratcher

Re: Emerald

Nothings wrong with it but you can only add commands, then there isn't anything to run it.

#352 2009-10-16 09:20:08

markyparky56
Scratcher

O_O i dream of an easy to do programing language. e.g.

Code:

Say = "say something"
change Xpos by ()
change Ypos by ()
change Zpos by ()
ect. ect.

http://j.mp/jgVnTq
Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#353 2009-10-16 15:56:52

markyparky56
Scratcher

Ok, guys, 2 things.

1. I downloaed 0.3, whats been changed? i see nothing new.

2. I cant get on my forum acount!!! :'(

http://j.mp/jgVnTq
Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#354 2009-10-16 16:40:16

gershmer
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

Ok, guys, 2 things.

1. I downloaed 0.3, whats been changed? i see nothing new.

2. I cant get on my forum acount!!! :'(

How can you not see the difference between 0.2 and 0.3? 0.2 was just the command line! 0.3 added some GUI stuff!

Also, are you sure you are typing your password right?

Last edited by gershmer (2009-10-20 16:25:13)

Visit my site, Gershmer.net
Leave me a voicemail at my Google Voice number, [removed]

#355 2009-10-16 18:57:23

Magnie
Scratcher

Should I reset your pass?

#356 2009-10-16 20:33:04

Greatdane
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

Nothings wrong with it but you can only add commands, then there isn't anything to run it.

I get an error when I try to open a file(it's there, I know it). It again, is not complete.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
        ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#357 2009-10-16 23:41:15

Magnie
Scratcher

Do you have Python 2.6? Cause I'm serious nothing is wrong, you probably don't have Python or you don't have the latest version.

#358 2009-10-17 05:51:57

filo5
Scratcher

...Let's explain one thing. Pickles is certainly _not_ the best method to save files. Python has some XML modules, so command might look like this:
<ask what="How are you?" variable="answer" />
(of course in some xml editor like XmlSpy or some)

Or, more likely, just make our own function/loop to save files like this:
print
Text to print

It would be so simple, because then, Diamond gains full compatibility with Emerald (and probably some of you will write project editors for mac, linux, etc.), and then, we'll be able to talk about sprites and more complex projects (you know, I'd actually like Diamond to become official Windows project editor for Emerald). But at this point, there is only possibility to hold it as a pickle stuff.

Converting my Scratch projects to Python!

#359 2009-10-17 10:37:58

gershmer
Scratcher

filo5 wrote:

...Let's explain one thing. Pickles is certainly _not_ the best method to save files. Python has some XML modules, so command might look like this:
<ask what="How are you?" variable="answer" />
(of course in some xml editor like XmlSpy or some)

Or, more likely, just make our own function/loop to save files like this:
print
Text to print

It would be so simple, because then, Diamond gains full compatibility with Emerald (and probably some of you will write project editors for mac, linux, etc.), and then, we'll be able to talk about sprites and more complex projects (you know, I'd actually like Diamond to become official Windows project editor for Emerald). But at this point, there is only possibility to hold it as a pickle stuff.

Do you actually have any idea how to implement the XML modules?

Also, if the .emrld file is actually easy to understand when you open it (not in plain text, but easy to understand), when we manage to switch to XML, there really is no need to go crazy creating editors for all the platforms. I'm pretty sure Linux comes with a notepaddish program, and Macs have TextEdit. While Diamond could be able to understand the XML files and show them as plain text in its editor, just opening a raw XML file could work, too. I'm interested to see how Diamond comes out though. After the Windows C# version of Diamond comes out, I might start working on an Objective-C version. (that is, when I learn Objective-C, which won't be till probably february, because my class in C doesn't start till January, and I prefer teachers giving me the basics, not books.)

#360 2009-10-17 12:56:39

Magnie
Scratcher

My dad says we might switch over to Linux (Stinks lol) and might get me a bigger hard drive, so my dad will hopefully get C/C++ on so we can work in that (or C#) but if anyone wants, we can keep working in Python, so more people can help work with it.

But as Gersh said, we'll want the editing as easy as possible. Just to make it easier to understand why not have this:

Code:

print = Hello! - no
ask = How are you?
variable = answer
print = I'm - no
print = answer - yes
print = too - no

The dash after print and yes or no means it's a variable or not.

Make sense? Cause just having...

Code:

print
Hello!
ask
How are you?
answer
yes
print
I'm
print
answer
yes
print
too

Is longer and more complicated, but I like Filo's XML idea (Sorry Gersh) but it could be used for more experienced programmers but I have no idea what advantage this would have.

Btw, I've been taking quick looks at having Python connect to Scratch for other stuff, we may be able to make it so Emerald can connect to Scratch, how cool would that be?  wink

#361 2009-10-17 14:19:52

gershmer
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

My dad says we might switch over to Linux (Stinks lol) and might get me a bigger hard drive, so my dad will hopefully get C/C++ on so we can work in that (or C#) but if anyone wants, we can keep working in Python, so more people can help work with it.

But as Gersh said, we'll want the editing as easy as possible. Just to make it easier to understand why not have this:

Code:

print = Hello! - no
ask = How are you?
variable = answer
print = I'm - no
print = answer - yes
print = too - no

The dash after print and yes or no means it's a variable or not.

Make sense? Cause just having...

Code:

print
Hello!
ask
How are you?
answer
yes
print
I'm
print
answer
yes
print
too

Is longer and more complicated, but I like Filo's XML idea (Sorry Gersh) but it could be used for more experienced programmers but I have no idea what advantage this would have.

Btw, I've been taking quick looks at having Python connect to Scratch for other stuff, we may be able to make it so Emerald can connect to Scratch, how cool would that be?  wink

1.Linux is fine. It's what a lot of people turn to for open-source UNIX or when Windows is slowing their computer down. I need to get around to VM'ing Linux or even Dual-Booting it.
2.Yay! A hard drive you can actually store files on!
3.Python is nice, and if we switch, I won't be able to even think about helping you guys program until I learn some basic C this January. If we're going to use a different programming language, save it for Diamond.
4.I do like the XML idea. I just think once we get it out there we should go crazy trying to create Diamond for all OSes. Editing raw XML really should be fine. Diamond would help, but I know many people in this world wouldn't mind XML.
5.I don't have it python syntax, but in plain English, for connecting Emerald to Scratch

Code:

Share ask
Share print
Share variables
'creates shared variables. they show up in sensor board block

The scratch code would look something like this:
http://gershmer.net/emeralds.PNG

#362 2009-10-17 15:06:43

Greatdane
Scratcher

I think that, like in python, quotes means text.

"Hello!"           text
Hello              variable

You're right, Filo5, I actually prefer the normal file saving(without pickle).

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#363 2009-10-17 15:54:50

gershmer
Scratcher

Emerald Demo. Drag it into your tab bar.

http://gershmer.net/emerald.gif

Last edited by gershmer (2009-10-17 15:55:29)

#364 2009-10-17 21:44:37

Magnie
Scratcher

Gersh1: Guess what? I'm on the new computer!  big_smile   big_smile   big_smile  Now how does it work, and how much space is left? My dad says it's around 150 GB but then loose all that space for the OS and I get... 50 GB? Not bad, but will it hold all the programming languages I want?

That would probably will be how it's done, maybe for multiple connects:

Code:

Share #.#.#.#.# broadcast Hiya!
Share #.#.#.#.# ask Is this working?
Receive #.#.#.#.# Working print This is working!

Would that work?  big_smile

Gersh2:

The demo seems to be showing right now oddly. ( New computer though means new stuff )

#365 2009-10-18 08:40:45

gershmer
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

The demo seems to be showing right now oddly. ( New computer though means new stuff )

1.New comp running Linux?
2.Yes, you should be able to fit your programming languages.
3.Idk about the share code
4.Scratch's PunBB forum is more condensed then yours. It has smaller max image size. Drag it into your tab bar.

#366 2009-10-18 11:26:34

filo5
Scratcher

I'm now getting Diamond to open and save plaintext, so soon it will gain full notepad functionality.

As for editing Emerald scripts in Diamond instead of notepad, is like with my programs - I could have done all my programs in Notepad, but with Visual C# EE, it's much simpler. That's why I understand the idea - Emerald can be a compiler with basic editing tool, but all the editing can be also done much simpler in Diamond. It will have an interactive browser to browse Emerald help just in time you program - It's a sidebar, which will, when it's finished, be:
- Interactive help browser
- Project tree explorer

As for the editor, now it's only text editor, but together with the advent of Emerald capable of actual graphics (like sprites), I'll do a sprite editor (well, I'll just talk with the Paint Dot Net guys). Also, I'm going to do syntax highlighting there (yes, syntax highlighting).

And, when should I expect plain text scripts?

Converting my Scratch projects to Python!

#367 2009-10-18 12:27:55

gershmer
Scratcher

OMG! Syntax Highliting!

I have seen the sun
That's behind the rain
I have felt the joy
That's behind the pain

YAY!

#368 2009-10-18 19:40:56

ThePiGuy
Scratcher

Can I join the team? I want to make something like this  tongue . I don't have Python though, but I might get C#. I hope I'm not spamming  tongue .

PI IS AWESOME!! Yes, pi is not equal to 3.14. It's 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058...

#369 2009-10-18 20:30:02

gershmer
Scratcher

ThePiGuy wrote:

Can I join the team? I want to make something like this  tongue . I don't have Python though, but I might get C#. I hope I'm not spamming  tongue .

You aren't spamming.

Python is Free and for Mac, Windows, and Linux. (were using python to make emerald)
You can use any other programming language you want... to say... help make Diamond for Mac or Linux. (Or Help Filo5 with the Windows Version in C#)

Anyway, you can't join the team YET.
You have to:
a.Make a good advance in our programming
b.Start developing Diamond for Mac or Linux
c.Make some REALLY good graphics, then figure out how to use them.
d.Do something for us that costs money. (I am on the Emerald team mostly because I pay for file hosting)

#370 2009-10-19 09:11:41

Magnie
Scratcher

Filo: That's good! Hmm... Will this be Separate from the Emerald, so you can do the coding in Diamond then run it in Emerald?

PI: As Gersh said, you need to make some sort of advancement for Emerald, you can get Python easily, cause the only thing you require is being able to download.  wink  so just go get it.  smile

#371 2009-10-19 17:26:35

gershmer
Scratcher

Also, ThePiGuy, feel free to join our forums on Emerald at http://punbb-hosting.com/forums/Emerald. We could always use more users. (Currently 7 users, 6 are Emerald team, one confused person who thought we were Pokemon Emerald)

#372 2009-10-19 19:52:39

Greatdane
Scratcher

How do I become part of the team anyway?

What should I do?

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#373 2009-10-19 20:03:08

Magnie
Scratcher

As we said before "You make an advancement for Emerald" like graphics or more commands. Would you mind joining the Forums? ( http://punbb-hosting.com/forums/Emerald )

#374 2009-10-19 20:14:32

gershmer
Scratcher

Magnie- Update the first post with link to forums and emerald 0.3

#375 2009-10-19 22:12:08

Magnie
Scratcher

Gersh- The link to Emerald 0.3 leads to the wiki Emerald Updates page. But I'll update it so it leads to forums.

Board footer