This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-10-12 16:34:22

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

The closing of the text-based games forums (in 1 week)

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot to everyone for your input. After reading the arguments in favor and against removing these forums, we have decided to close the forums mainly because of these two reasons:

1. it creates a lot of work for our current moderators
2. it is a source of fights and inappropriate behavior

There is a way we can keep these forums alive though. We would like to offer the possibility of creating a separate website (e.g. http://scratch.mit.edu/someotherforum) where we can put the Text Based Forums as a separate space from the Scratch Forums.

This would require a lot of work, so we would only do it if we can find  a couple of moderators who would commit their time to keep these forums free of inappropriate behavior, dissolve fights and follow the Scratch Terms of Use.

If you enjoy using the TBG forums and you are interested in keeping them alive on a separate website and you have a long established good reputation in the Scratch community and you would like to volunteer your time to moderate these new forums,  please let us know.

Just saying "I want to be a moderator" most likely will be discarded. Also, you might have to gather the support form other long established members of the community and our current moderators.

Based on these factors, we will make a decision. No matter what, we will close these forums in a week and, if there suitable moderators, we will create a new forum space.

Thanks and Scratch on!

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#2 2009-10-12 16:36:38

jacool
Scratcher

Re: The closing of the text-based games forums (in 1 week)

Good bye TBG, I guess we won't miss you very much, at least not me.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss159/JacobKar/svensktiger-1.png

#3 2009-10-12 16:38:02

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

YESZ!!!!!

Now the Scratch Community can get back on track!

#4 2009-10-12 16:52:58

The-Whiz
Scratcher

Bye TBG.

Although I would like to be a moderator on the other website (If that choice is chosen).

I've been on Scratch for over 2 years, and I'd like to help out on the Scratch website. I'm on a lot, so it shouldn't be hard for me to moderate.

Anyone want to vouch for me?

Last edited by The-Whiz (2009-10-14 19:01:55)

#5 2009-10-12 17:07:09

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

The-Whiz wrote:

Bye TBG.

Although I would like to be a moderator on the other website (If that choice is chosen).

I've been on Scratch for over 2 years, and I'd like to help out on the Scratch website. I'm on a lot, so it shouldn't be hard for me to moderate.

I guess so Whiz, you're great at making projects, you have no problem getting views, you have experience, you are respected and known amongst almost every member, you would be perfect as a mod on another site.

Last edited by floatingmagictree (2009-10-12 17:07:43)

#6 2009-10-12 17:09:48

TheSaint
Scratcher

The-Whiz wrote:

Bye TBG.

I will vouch. As another two year member, I can say that you are mature enough not to smash heads with anyone else.

Well, that answers the question.

#7 2009-10-12 17:32:32

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Well, well, well, it appears this problem has been solved. Let's see how the community reacts; I know I'll be staying tuned.
One question; will posts from this section still count towards our overall total?

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2009-10-12 17:34:59)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#8 2009-10-12 17:42:29

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

gettysburg11 wrote:

Well, well, well, it appears this problem has been solved. Let's see how the community reacts; I know I'll be staying tuned.
One question; will posts from this section still count towards our overall total?

Yes, even when this forum is closed, the count will remain the same. In general, I wouldn't worry too much about the count, it's just a number  smile

#9 2009-10-12 17:43:38

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

The-Whiz wrote:

Bye TBG.

Thanks for volunteering. We'll see how it develops. We probably need more than one person.

#10 2009-10-12 17:46:19

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Very good idea  smile

I didn't see this because I never use this forum, but I commend your decision. I was just wondering why the heck Andresmh was posting on this forum  tongue

Anyhow, I'd like to volunteer for the new forum. It won't hurt me at all if you don't choose me, but I have been on Scratch for about 1 1/2 years and love these forums. I'd be able to be on the forums as much as you need me, as long as it doesn't coincide with school  smile

Last edited by coolstuff (2009-10-12 17:51:26)

#11 2009-10-12 17:47:25

The-Whiz
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

The-Whiz wrote:

Bye TBG.

Thanks for volunteering. We'll see how it develops. We probably need more than one person.

I wouldn't be able to be on all the time anyway, I have school from about 9:00 to 16:00 (or 4:00) EST.

#12 2009-10-12 17:58:33

DavidTy
Scratcher

Seeing as you are looking for moderators, I thought I would put my name out there for consideration. I realize that being a moderator does not just mean huge bragging rites, it requires time and dedication, two things which if I do not already have I could acquire with time. I am on the Scratch forum for about one or more hours each day so the time issue should not be a problem for me. I would appreciate anyone’s support if you think I would make a good mod, thanks!  smile

#13 2009-10-12 18:02:26

DavidTy
Scratcher

floatingmagictree wrote:

The-Whiz wrote:

Bye TBG.

I guess so Whiz, you're great at making projects, you have no problem getting views, you have experience, you are respected and known amongst almost every member, you would be perfect as a mod on another site.

I agree, The-Whiz would make an excellent mod!  smile

#14 2009-10-12 18:11:36

adriangl
Scratcher

Goodbye TBG!

Scratchin' since 2007

#15 2009-10-12 18:11:48

J0j2
Scratcher

sad  oh well. I would love to have another forum though. I would actually love to be a moderator! That would be awesome to be elected by the scratch team! I've been on scratch for 2 years now I think, and I intend to stay!

Happiness is a habit. You can help the world practice happiness a little more. Visit the 'Happiness List' below and post a list of 100 things that make you happy!
http://i.imgur.com/dMpk2.jpg?1?4499

#16 2009-10-12 18:13:14

coolstuff
Community Moderator

J0j2 wrote:

I've been on scratch for 2 years now I think, and I intend to stay!

It's been a little over one year.

Last edited by coolstuff (2009-10-12 18:13:31)

#17 2009-10-12 18:55:32

Almanac
Scratcher

Wait, are you closing Inspiration and More, too?

Wheeeeee.

#18 2009-10-12 18:58:53

iamrpk
Scratcher

I would like to help keep it alive by becoming a moderator on the site. I am very disappointed that the TBG have been removed, so I want to help keep the new site alive by keeping ANY inappropriate things out. I think part of the reason TBG is being removed because of the arguments to keep/get rid of it. I have been on scratch for a while now and I think I can handle being a moderator to help keep scratch am online kid-friendly community.

http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/AwesomeBooks911Forum/index.php

#19 2009-10-12 19:00:20

J0j2
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

J0j2 wrote:

No. I registered august 08. August 09 passed. so its been about 1 and 1/2 years.

Happiness is a habit. You can help the world practice happiness a little more. Visit the 'Happiness List' below and post a list of 100 things that make you happy!
http://i.imgur.com/dMpk2.jpg?1?4499

#20 2009-10-12 19:02:48

coolstuff
Community Moderator

J0j2 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

J0j2 wrote:

No. I registered august 08. August 09 passed. so its been about 1 and 1/2 years.

1 year 4 months, which is 1 1/3 years.

#21 2009-10-12 19:12:31

Dream-Caster
Scratcher

I would like to be a mod for the following reasons,

1 I have experience moderating on some forums,
2 I been on scratch for awhile on some other accounts before this one and I flag inappropriate stuff any chance i get,
3 I am on scratch every day.

I have watch scratch grow and I showed my friend Dolfus555 scratch and he created the best project ever on top loved with over one thousand love its.Super mario galaxy,although he has moved on to xbox live XD hahaha. I have made many friends BEFORE they became "famous".I plan to stay on Scratch for awhile and I don't plan on leaving.Text based forums was most likely the best thing that happened to this site (besides the curse filters) and I love role-playing.I been role-playing ever since i signed up on neopets so i would like to encourage the recreation of this forum and might possibly help by being a moderator.

sgfdg

#22 2009-10-12 19:18:45

coolstuff
Community Moderator

I already posted this on the other topic, but I guess I'll repost it here:

I'd like to join as a moderator! I feel that I am able to take on the responsibility of being a moderator and will be on Scratch for quite a while. I also feel that, while my judgement may have been wrong in the past, I will be able to be un-biased upon all decisions. I go on the website daily for longer than you might think, checking the forums for new problems to solve. I love these forums a lot and would love to contribute to it. I have been on these forums for 1 year and almost 8 months and would love to give back to Scratch.

While I wouldn't be extremely upset if I didn't become a moderator, I love these forums a lot. I don't use Text-Based Games a lot but I would love to give back to these forums. I like the usual forums a lot better, but I wouldn't mind becoming a part of the moderating committee  smile

Last edited by coolstuff (2009-10-12 19:37:51)

#23 2009-10-12 19:28:12

sam_m_j
Scratcher

*starts crying*

You want a sig? Well, you don't get one  tongue  (Oh, and P.S, you lost the game.)

#24 2009-10-12 19:41:04

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

Nice choice, I whole-heartedly agree with your reasons. Even though I am in favor of the closing of Text-based-games I would like to moderate the new website if it ever actually appears  smile  This is for several reasons:
1. I know a lot of people really want this people to stay open and I would love to help them by providing my support to their website.
2. I spend so much time on the scratch forums that I would love to have a nice title go along with my name  wink

Of course you don't have to accept my offer, I'd just like to help.

Oh EDIT: I'm going to copy what coolstuff said because it had a nice ring and makes the point I was looking for words for "I would love to have the opportunity to give back to scratch."

Last edited by demosthenes (2009-10-12 19:46:41)

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#25 2009-10-12 19:49:28

greenflash
Scratcher

I'd like to put my name up for being a moderator. My main reasons are because I like to help people; I scour through posts in All about scratch looking to help people  smile , I wouldn't mind going though the forums, as I do that every time I am on scratch, and although I am not a moderator now, I have been trying to do my best for the website by reporting bad posts. I know I haven't been on scratch for very long, but I'd like to have a chance to do something more for the website.

I'm fine if you don't choose me, but I would appriciate if you chose me  smile

Thanks!
smile

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wrkirk.pnghttp://i46.tinypic.com/6r5zk7.pnghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2vtxr1t.png

Board footer