This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-06-29 19:36:03

Hobbs1100
Scratcher

Interchangable Scratchboard Sensors

What if you could buy scratchboard sensors that aren't connected to the Scratchboard. You could buy a pack of 5 buttons, a light sensor, a slider, a sound sensor, and some aligator clip sensors (or whatever they are called). There would be a plug on the underside of each sensor too. Then you could also buy a "station" which is where you connect the Scratchboard sensors. When you buy a new sersor, it comes with a "puzzle piece" outlet that interlocks with the "station".  This way you aren't limited to how manu sensors you can have. Now as for actually connecting the sensors to the station. A 3 foot long wire would be packed with each individual sensor, and if that is too short, you can buy extension cords. That wire would connect to the "station" and you can use it.

On Scratch, for every sernsor, there would be another sensing brick. So if you have 8 buttons, it would be Button A, Button B, Button C, ect. Same with sliders and light sensors, and every other sensor.

What do you think? I think the biggest benefit, would be if you need 4 buttons to make a game pad for Scratch, you don't need 4 Scratch boards.

Also, if Scratch becomes huge, it might be easier to sell the individual sensors at a shop.

Last edited by Hobbs1100 (2008-06-29 19:39:19)

#2 2008-06-29 21:13:07

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

Re: Interchangable Scratchboard Sensors

Nice. I like your idea. I think Pico has something like that at http://www.picocricket.com/whatisit.html although I don't believe the components interface with Scratch. As a robot fan, I personally would like to see a Mindstorms/Scratch interface  smile

Last edited by chalkmarrow (2008-06-29 21:13:29)

#3 2008-06-29 22:25:10

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

Sounds awesome! I don't think I'd ever buy a Scratchboard, though, unless it came with a camera, motion sensor, etc.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#4 2008-06-30 14:15:45

Hobbs1100
Scratcher

I actually was thinking of how to build a Scratch robot last night.... it would be really cool. A LEGO NXT/Scratch mix would be awesome. At my elementry school (now going on to Grade 7), we had "Robodome". Kids from all the Catholic schools in the East side of the city would have a day for each 5th and 6th grade class to come to our School to build robots. We used LEGO NXT's and each group of 3 had a laptop to program the robot. The Robodome teacher was also the Scratch Club teacher at my school.

#5 2008-07-05 16:25:17

legolover
Scratcher

Good idea! I like Scratch and NXT, and with your idea we could put them together! I've always wanted to do that...

Escape the Room 1! http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/legolover/291256

#6 2009-02-04 17:18:29

buddy981018
Scratcher

[blocks]<switch to costume[ Wow.]>[/blocks]

#7 2009-04-10 21:14:01

technoguyx
Scratcher

legolover wrote:

Good idea! I like Scratch and NXT, and with your idea we could put them together! I've always wanted to do that...

Obviously we can't make a official contract (although I've heard LEGO is affiliated with MIT... Not sure, though), but someone could make some sort of compiler which translates special Scratch scripts to, well, whatever NXT uses.

fullmoon wrote:

Sounds awesome! I don't think I'd ever buy a Scratchboard, though, unless it came with a camera, motion sensor, etc.

I'd not buy one either, but it's still a good idea. I don't think Scratch will be able to process a camera's video, sadly. Motion sensor...? Hmmm, I wonder what it could be good for. A temperature sensor could be nice too.

Also: Good combination of buttons, sliders and other sensors, and good scripting = Perfect Flight Sim  big_smile

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#8 2009-04-11 00:25:07

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

technoguyx wrote:

legolover wrote:

Obviously we can't make a official contract (although I've heard LEGO is affiliated with MIT... Not sure, though), but someone could make some sort of compiler which translates special Scratch scripts to, well, whatever NXT uses.

fullmoon wrote:

I'd not buy one either, but it's still a good idea. I don't think Scratch will be able to process a camera's video, sadly. Motion sensor...? Hmmm, I wonder what it could be good for. A temperature sensor could be nice too.

Also: Good combination of buttons, sliders and other sensors, and good scripting = Perfect Flight Sim  big_smile

Well, the Sensor Board has four resistive inputs that can be connected to a lot of things, including temperature sensors, motion sensors, etc. I think eventually someone will come up with an easier way to interface legos with Scratch, given that, as you say, MIT and Lego tend to work together a lot.

#9 2009-09-26 10:53:01

cannon
Scratcher

i am working on connect lego nxt and scratch

Board footer