This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-11-23 23:19:48

jumpstart
Scratcher

Scratch included on One Laptop Per Child?

Hi, all,

RE: One Laptop Per Child computer. Is Scratch on this machine? Or does it go by another name on OLPC?

Best,

Gary

#2 2007-11-24 08:45:44

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Scratch included on One Laptop Per Child?

We are working on a modified version of Scratch for the XO (the OLPC machine).

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#3 2007-11-29 07:29:54

jumpstart
Scratcher

Hi, Andres,

RE: Scratch on Laptop. Good news!  Keep us in mind for testing.... We've got an after-school lab that's been heavily into Scratch, and will be receiving (3) XO's shortly from a donation.

Our Web site is: http://jumpstartlearning.wordpress.com

Best,

Gary Greenberg
Middletown, OH

#4 2007-11-29 11:39:27

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I've also bought an XO, and my son and I would love to have Scratch on it!

#5 2007-11-29 15:02:51

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

Kevin: I'm curious about what you and your son ultimately think of the XO after you've used it for a while. I came close to buying a couple during the initial buy-two/get-one program earlier this month, but haven't quite decided. Good to see that they will be putting Scratch on it -- seems like a natural fit, given that it already has Squeak.

#6 2007-11-30 18:02:55

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

It may be a while before we get the laptop, as we ordered on almost the last day of the buy-two-get-one offer.

#7 2007-12-01 09:08:17

relyt12101
Scratcher

The offer is extended to the end of year.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2860/pspbanneregg089deiy0.png

#8 2007-12-03 02:08:59

Jens
Scratcher

Ah, you lucky people, seems like you either have to live in North America or in Africa to be eligible to buy or receive an XO ;-) I believe Scratch would be a 'killer app' on the XO. I also imagine adapting Scratch to the XO requires adjusting the font and blocks sizes (as well as the various pointers) to the XO's high screen resolution, and modifying the file dialogs to Sugar's diary / activity metaphor. If they want to be able to also generate windows and mac distributions from the same code base a lot of changes will have to be applied to Scratch's current development image. It'll be interesting to see how the Scratch devolopers cope with these challanges, there could be some improvements coming out of this work for the other Scratch versions as well.

Jens Mönig

#9 2008-02-01 00:18:00

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Initial version of Scratch for the XO available on the OLPC website:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities#Programming

#10 2008-02-01 02:03:28

melmonkey
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Initial version of Scratch for the XO available on the OLPC website:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities#Programming

I was turned on to Scratch by one of the Level Designers at the office, and when I looked at the programming interface, I thought it looked familiar. It did, since I have been browsing through the included applications on the XO, while waiting for mine to arrive.

Lo and behold I read that the Turtle Art application is "...an activity with a Logo-inspired graphical "turtle" that draws colorful art based on Scratch-like snap-together visual programming elements."

I was excited to see how Turtle Art functioned, and now I have Scratch to play with. I shall be diving in with no regard for my safety.

Looking forward to being able to teach my son how to use Scratch to create applications and games, me on my laptop and him on his XO.

Mike Hovland
Senior Technical Artist
Midway Games
Chicago

#11 2008-02-02 00:41:25

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

The person who created Turtle Art, Brian Silverman, is also a long time collaborator of our group and has helped with some of the ideas behind Scratch  :-)

#12 2008-02-02 18:35:48

jumpstart
Scratcher

Hi, Andre,

RE: Scratch. Thanks for the update about its availability for the XO. I'll download it tonite and we'll try it with kids next week.

Best,

Gary

#13 2008-02-02 19:44:14

jumpstart
Scratcher

I've downloaded Scratch to an XO and it's working just great! (Thanks,Andres).   

QUestion: The Scratch Web site asks me to install Java in order to view a project? Is this necessary?

Gary

#14 2008-02-03 11:24:37

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

jumpstart: yes, you do need the Java plugin for your browser in order to see projects on the web. I am not sure how easy it is to install the Java plugin for the browser that comes with the XO though. If you are able to install it please let us know. From what I know the browser is based on Mozilla Firefox so it shouldn't be impossible.

#15 2008-02-23 11:09:50

jumpstart
Scratcher

Andres,

Thanks for the info. We will get our programming-oriented students looking at the issue.

Best,

Gary

#16 2008-02-23 15:07:59

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

We've used scratch on the XO, and had it work ok.  There were still some obvious bugs (like (0,0) not being in the center of the stage), so I don't think the XO scratch is ready for prime-time yet.  I would appreciate hearing about when a new version is available.

I had no trouble installing Scratch (once I had done an update of the XO to a sufficiently recent build of the operating system, as the give-one-get-one laptops were released with too old a version).

I was not able to install Java in the time I had, as the one-laptop-per-child site does not provide an installer for it, and I couldn't get any of the java downloads on the Sun site to download completely with the "Browse" program.  If anyone does succeed in getting jave applets to work with the "Browse" program on the XO, I'd be interested in hearing how to do it.

Board footer