This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-09-20 05:08:42

Chrischb
Scratcher

Introducing your friends to Scratch

Hi! This is a tutorial on how to introduce your friends to Scratch! Some of you out there may have discovered it yourself, but some (such as me) were introduced by our friends.
I was over at someone's house, and they brought up Scratch and were programming. I was very interested, and couldn't wait to try it.

Do you think your friends would be interested? If so, read on!
If you go to school

When you have free time (recess, the bus ride, etc.), ask your friend if you can go to one of your houses. It's better to show him/her Scratch directly, rather than telling them the website; they may find a project they dislike and assume all others are the same.
Has he/she accepted the invitation? If so, here's what to do if you're going to your place (it's better at yours rather than theirs):

1. Ask if you can use the computer. If you have to finish homework or such, tell your parents that you want to show them Scratch. It's worth telling them about it earlier, just in case you receive a "no".
2. Make sure you have Scratch downloaded already! That way, you can rush to the introducing, rather than having them wait for a while it downloads. They may want to play outside, and you may have difficulty getting them back to the computer.
3. Open one of your projects that you're working on. You can demonstrate how it works, and even tweak it around a bit to show them the consequences. If you don't have any projects that you consider sufficient to demonstrate, have a project downloaded before you plan to get your friend over.
4. Examine their expression. Are they hooked? If so, show them more and maybe allow them to try their hand at programming. But if they're not interested, ask them once more. If they still refuse, don't push- you don't want to force your friend into Scratch.
5. If he's interested, show him the website. If you have any uploaded projects, show him those. Explain how the site works, and show him the forums if you use them.
If you're at his house,

1. Ask if you can use the computer. This may be more difficult than at your place, because their parents might not allow him on. Explain about Scratch, and if you get permission, go to the next step.
2. Start with the website. Downloading will take too much time. You can show him the front page, and you can show them a project that you like. You can even allow him to browse!
3. (Optional) Show him the forums. It has handy information, and it's where you got this information!
4. If you have time, download Scratch. Ask about the speed of the computer for some knowledge on how long the download should take. While you wait, tell him about what Scratch offers. He will be interested, and maybe excited at the prospect of seeing Scratch in person.
4.5. If you don't have time, ask him to download Scratch and view it while you're away. Give him some information, but not too much- you don't want to ruin the fun of discovery!
5. Allow him to view Scratch, and let him try his hand at it. Read the previous step 5 for more information.
If you're a homeschooler (your parents teach you)

1. Arrange a time when you can be at your friend's house. You can discuss times at homeschooler meetings, get-togethers, or classes.
2. Once you have a time set, make preparations! Decide projects to show him, have Scratch downloaded already- you should know the rest.
3. Once he comes over, you should be able to show him the computer; if you have strict rules, talk with your parents first. Show him Scratch, and see if he's hooked. If so, you're in.
If your friend likes Scratch and has made a user, find his username! Add him to your friend list, and you can imagine, program, and share together!

I hope that this tutorial has helped. It will never be exactly as it says, and be understanding if your friend isn't interested; it may not be his thing, or maybe later. Who knows, he could call you late one night and say, "What was the name of that website again?".

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#2 2009-09-23 05:21:18

Chrischb
Scratcher

Re: Introducing your friends to Scratch

I'm terribly sorry to bump this (reprimand me if you like), but I think I posted this at the wrong time... has anyone actually read this?

#3 2009-09-27 03:45:24

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

I don't know. I'm bumping this up for you.

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#4 2009-09-27 10:02:48

fireball123
Scratcher

I read it! great advice

I did it for the Lolz

#5 2009-09-27 22:23:22

Chrischb
Scratcher

fireball123 wrote:

I read it! great advice

Thanks!

#6 2009-09-30 01:37:23

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Well, it is great.

I want this to get stickied...

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#7 2009-09-30 18:40:38

fg123
Scratcher

I read this too! Nice job. Mod, please sticky.

Hai.

#8 2009-09-30 21:24:25

hamsandwitch678
Scratcher

Not bad!  Really good advice, too.  I introduced a lot of people to scratch.  They all like it!  (BTW, bump!)

You won't get in a jam when you add a little ham because when you add meat, your life will be sweet.                     .

#9 2009-09-30 23:55:52

Chrischb
Scratcher

hamsandwitch678 wrote:

Not bad!  Really good advice, too.  I introduced a lot of people to scratch.  They all like it!  (BTW, bump!)

Yay! I'm glad it worked.  smile

#10 2009-10-02 21:15:37

petvet300
Scratcher

Wonderful advice! ^^ I asked my friend to join scratch a week ago- they said they were too lazy to keep up with it. XD

Check out Read the world here- http://scratch.mit.edu/users/petvet300 or here- http://readtheworld.weebly.com/
http://readtheworld.weebly.com/uploads/3/2/7/4/3274641/7776807_orig.jpg

#11 2009-10-03 01:32:01

Chrischb
Scratcher

petvet300 wrote:

Wonderful advice! ^^ I asked my friend to join scratch a week ago- they said they were too lazy to keep up with it. XD

We all are lazy sometimes.  big_smile  I'm proud of it.

Board footer