This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-27 19:12:28

Th1stle
Scratcher

How do I make my sprite move in other diraections than to the right?

Hi!! I'm a fairly new user and I'm trying to make a game for the first time, I have figured out a good amount of things that have gotten me very far, but I can't seem to figure out how to make my sprite move backwards or to the left. Any help would be appreciated!!

~Thistle

#2 2007-05-27 20:09:59

jay
Scratch Team

Re: How do I make my sprite move in other diraections than to the right?

Hey Th1stle. It kind of depends on how you're moving the sprite right now. But if you want the sprite to move to the left one sure way is to use the block
change x by (-10)
Notice the negative sign. That might be the trick you're looking for. If you start out a new project and use the move block the cat will move to the right, but if you change the number to a negative the cat will move left (or "backwards"). There's a lot more to say about this topic, but does this clear it up for you or is it still confusing?

#3 2007-05-27 21:10:54

Th1stle
Scratcher

Thanks a ton!!! I have the left thing down, but I still don't know how to move my sprite down. I'm not sure if you would be able to explain it to me, but, is there a way to move the sprite down instead of up or to the sides? Thank you SO much!!!!!

~Thistle

#4 2007-05-27 21:16:15

Th1stle
Scratcher

Also, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I had another question. I want to make it so that if my sprite touches the black part I have, It will loose a life, but the only variable change that would be close to that is "Change by x amount" but that only makes it larger not smalled. How do I make it so the "life/ variable" goes down 1 and not up? Thanks!!!

#5 2007-05-27 22:02:05

jay
Scratch Team

To move a sprite down try
[change y by (-10)]
notice the minus sign

To make your "life" go down try
[change life by (-1)]
notice the minus sign again
If you are wondering how to make this happen when it touches something black you can use the
[touching color _____]
block in "sensing"

#6 2007-05-28 09:10:07

Th1stle
Scratcher

Ok!!!! Thank you so much!!!! You've helped me a ton!!!! Now I have my answer  smile  thanks!!!!!

Board footer