This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-08-02 11:59:38

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

ITopic:THE ALMIGHTY SCRATIONARY!! (for Scratch Illtererate Users)

THE ALMIGHTY SCRATCHTIONARY! (Intended for Scratch Illiterate users)

If you want to reply, than DON’T QUOTE THIS! It will make a big page even longer. It has over 10 pages of text.

This dictionary for Scratch is intended for Scratchers who don't understand a word or phrase that involves scratch, or the scratch forum. The Scrationary includes several entries on each program block and explains what it does in help. It also goes through some terminology of scratch, very-well known members and curators, and many computer abbreviations that some people may not know about, but it excludes some inappropriate ones which I won't give an example of  wink . WORDS THAT ARE USED IN THE DEFINITION OF ANOTHER WORD ARE SOMETIMES ITALICIZED. THAT MEANS THEY CAN BE FOUND ELSEWHERE IN THE SCRATCHIONARY.
There’s also some light relief comic relief on sections that have hardly anything in there. It really does not affect your reading.

The really important definitions come first while the rest go in alphabetical order. To Newbies: If you are planning on posting a question read this and then only post if this did not answer your question. If I did not include something which you feel should be in here say the word along with a proper definition and I'll happily add it.

HELP MAKE THIS BIGGER AND BETTER BY SUGGESTING WORDS NOT INCLUDED WITH THEIR DEFINITION!

Important top-lining definitions

Scratch: Scratch is a visual programming language like Flash or Java based on and implemented in Squeak. Being dynamic, it lets code be changed even as programs are running. It has the goal of teaching programming concepts to children,  teens, and young adults, or programmers who are just starting out, and letting them create games, videos, and music. It can be downloaded for free and is being used in a wide variety of in-school and after-school settings around the world. It is being used in various schools and is currently in Version 1.4 [/b].  See also [i]Version 3      Version 3.1.        Version 4

Tools: Tools are blocks that you use in scratch in a jigsaw puzzle way. They are mainly separated into head blocks , connector blocks, and tabs . Okay, so they are not the OFFICIAL names, but we'll just use those as examples. Full explanations on what each of them do in their respective articles. They are also divided by into [Motion, Looks, Command, Numbers/Operations, Sensing,  Pen, Sound, and Variables [/i] If you have questions about them see their respective articles. More: http://scratch.wikia.com/wiki/Blocks

See also: FAQ on Tools

A

About: About is the section of the Scratch website that tells you about  Scratch. It can be found here

Advanced Topics (forums) A forum topic where Sctachers can  talk about technical aspects or advanced features.

AFK Internet Slang Abbreviation meaning Away From Keyboard

See Also: Brb, Lol,  g2g

All About Scratch (forums) A forum topic where users, new and old, can ask questions about Scratch. It is also the forum you are viewing right now.

Alpha An alpha project is an incomplete project with bugs still in it. It comes after people develop the demo and before people develop the beta

Answer Tab: The Answer Tab is a tab that stores the words the player gives to the software after the Ask connector block is pressed. It can be used in a number of ways, but mainly can be combined with the things in the "See Also" column of this article. It can be placed where numbers usually go like all Tabs, and is always associated with the "Ask" Connector Block.

See Also: Join Tab, Letter Tab, and Length Of Tab

Announcements (forum) : A forum topic where members (Usually of the Scratch Team ) announce new aspects about Scratch.

The "ask" connector block: The "ask" block was a new feature added to Version 1.4 of scratch.  When added to a script, the sprite would ask the player a question. A text bar would appear at the bottom of the screen. The player could then type something in, and that "answer" would be stored in the answer tab . It is stored in the "sensing"section, and is commonly used in 1.4 projects.

See Also: Answer Tab

B

BBCode:   See this page

Beta A beta comes after an alpha version, but is not a complete game, and probably still has a few bugs in it.

Blocks See the important top lining definitions of Tools.

BRB Internet slang term for Be Right Back

Broadcast Broadcasts are used very often. With broadcasts think of the radio.  The radio station gives off a broadcast and the radio receives and says the broadcast. In scratch it is similar. One sprite, the radio station, gives off a broadcast. Another sprite, the radio,  receives it. Then it does whatever the broadcast told it to do. Then we, the listener (or in this case watcher or gamer} listen (in this case watch or game ) to what the sprite does.

How to use broadcasts

1: Find the block that looks like this:

[blocks]
<broadcast[ Jump ]and wait c>
[/blocks]

2: Put that into Scratch Cat

3: Click “Choose Random Sprite From File”.

4: Put the block [blocks] <when I receive[ Jump] [/blocks] on to your random block

5:When Scratch brodcasts jump then your random sprite will receive jump and do anything under the “When I receive “ Block.

See also : http://resources.scratchr.org/pages/tutorials.php    I heartily endorse this product or service

C

Change  There are many connector blocks that involve change, so I have gathered them all here. Each of them change many things about the projects, everything from the size of a sprite to the shade of a pen. They are:

[blocks]
<change pen color by(       Changes the pen color to a certain degree
<change pen shade by(       Changes the shade of the pen to a certain degree
<change[  ]effect by(        Changes either color, fisheye, whirl, ghost,brightness, mosaic and pixelate by a certain degree. To see what each of them do please see Look changing definitions.

<change pen size by( Self Explanatory
<change size by(  Changes Size by a certain degree.
[/blocks]
[/b]
It also includes in 1.3 and 1.4 Change Volume by :  And Change tempo by:

Code Either 1: The tools used to make a project AKA A Script or 2: See this page

Connector Blocks Connector blocks are what get everything moving! Or drawing! Or appearing! Or Variabling. Or- well you get the picture. Connector blocks  have a little stub on the top and bottom parts of it, so you can connect a block to the top and bottom of it. Connector blocks won’t run online without a head block so make sure to add that first. They are the most popularly used type of block.

Some examples are...

[blocks]
<if on edge, bounce>
<next costume>
<show>
<hide>
<pen down>
<stamp>
[/blocks]

Important Information about Connector Blocks: [/b]

1:They can be found in every section of your tools but numbers

2: They made me make an a list for them when I could only think of one thing to put in the list.

Control: Control is a Tool which can be identified by it's orange color. It is the only main tool division that includes head blocks . It also includes the block which is used to the most in Scratch, the When Green Flag Click Head block. It can also give out broadcasts , and includes the forever, forever if, and if blocks.

Important Information about Control:

1:Has 16 different blocks

2: Is necessary for a project with Scripts

3: Has the "Stop Script" and "Stop All" blocks, which are the only of it's kind. Since they are not included in the Scratchtionary, I will explain them now. You see, they are special blocks called End Blocks that can stop a current script if something happens or stop the game entirely.

4: Can be recognized by it's orange

Costumes: Costumes are different sprites attached to one sprite. Costumes can be controlled in the Looks section and can make movement happen, listen to Variables and more! For example, do the following

1:Open Scratch

2: Click on Scratch Cat

3:Click the “Costumes” tab.

4:Click the second costume.

Scratch turned into his second costume which is where he is walking. So to execute that in the script go to looks and, for example, wright the following script:

[blocks]
<when green flag clicked>
<forever>
<next costume>
<wait( 0.2 )secsc>
<end>
[/blocks]

So, then it looks like Scratch is walking, which is an example of a use of walking. Discover the rest for yourself. The tools that involve costumes are all in the " Looks " Section and are all Connector Blocks. They are

[blocks]
<switch to costume[
<next costume>
[/blocks]

and in 1.4 there is a Costume # tab.

Curator A curator is someone of mass power who is selected by the scratch team. S/he picks 3 projects and puts them on the front page.  There is also a forum where you can apply to be a curator, but it is unlikely you will be picked this way.

See Also: http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Become_a_Scratch_Curator
D

Delete: The delete key looks like scissors . When clicked your cursor turns into scissors. Then you can click on a sprite to delete it and all of it's scripts.

Demo Something which there is 2x more than finished projects on Scratch -.-
                                                                                                                                 ===

Duplicate: "Duplicate" is a feature that makes a new sprite out of another sprite you already have with the same scripts and names it has "Sprite 1, 2, 3 etc." It resembles a stamping tool.

E
Edit The edit button appears next to a costume. When clicked it  takes you into paint
and let’s you edit the costume.

Educators (forum): A forum topic where teachers can talk about how they are eating watermelons- I mean using scratch in Education.

End Blocks   End blocks can be found in control. They end either a script or the whole game. They are

[blocks]

<stop all>
<stop script>

[/blocks]

ETM Internet Slang term for Every Twig Mirror. Okay, so I just did that to get something else in the “E” column.

Everything About Scratch   "Everything about Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=20458 )"

F
Featured Projects See Projects

Forever Makes a script run forever and ever. Can be stacked with more forever blocks, and if you add an if block and a stop script block you can stop the script if something happens

Forever if Makes a script run forever and ever if something happens.

Forums A forum is a Internet message board where users can post messages regarding one or more topics of discussion. The Scratch Forums include : [i] Announcements,  New Scratch Members,  Show and Tell,  FAQ,  All about Scratch, Educators, Advanced Topics, Suggestions,  Troubleshooting,  and Sensor board.

G
Game A game is a project which many interactive features. It also has a goal.

See Also: Movie, Thingamajig

Gallery A gallery is where people collect projects which are somehow related. Many galleries are Rpg’s To create a gallery go to this link:

Godzilla Appears in my games a lot. Giant monster. Sorry for the subliminal messages.

Green Flag The green flag starts the game or movie or thingamajig. It has the block “When Green Flag Clicked”.

H

Head Blocks Every project with at least 1 script has a head block. There are 4 head blocks, all found in the control section. They look like

[blocks]

<when green flag clicked>. When the Green Flag is clicked than do everything underneath this block.

<when[  ]key pressed> When a specific key is pressed do everything under this block

<when[  ]clicked> When this sprite is clicked do everything under this block

<when I receive[ When another sprite gives me a broadcast do everything under this block

[/blocks]

All scripts have to start with a head block or they won’t work online.

Hide  

[blocks]
<hide>
[/blocks]

This is also a popular block. When activated it hides the sprite completely. It is the opposite of the show connector block. It can be found in looks.

I

If The if block looks like this:

[blocks]
<if>
<end>
[/blocks]

It has a little opening where you can input tabs . For example, put down the if block, then add “when touching Evil Zombie “ Then in the middle of it type in “Change Variable Your hp by Pick Random 200 to 300”. So when the hero touches the evil zombie your Hp decreases randomly by 200 to 300. THUS IS THE POWER OF THE IF BLOCK! LONG LIVE THE IF BLOCK!!

If Else The if else block looks like the if block with an extra section.

[blocks]
<if> touching Time Bonus!
Change Variable time by 30
<end>
<else>
<forever>
Change Variable time by 1
Wait 1 second.
<end>
[/blocks]

THUS IS THE POWER OF THE IF ELSE BLOCK! ALL HAIL THE IF ELSE BLOCK.

J

Jetpack Boy Found in costumes, a jetpack sprite with gravity. Many games have been made using the scripts and sprites with him.

K

Kat See Scratch Cat

Key 1: A letter, number, or command on a keyboard 2: A metal device used for opening doors 3: Sir Vincent Arnold Reginald Key, a guy who I made up just now.

Key Pressed? The “When Key is Pressed”  tab  can be found  in the sensing section. It can be combined with various blocks and gives this effect:

When you hold the selected key for a time certain things will happen (whatever you put in the “if” block). It can be used in place of the “When Key is Pressed” block.

L

Lime A fruit which should not be in this dictionary.

List of All Lists

A)    List of questions: You can find questions in the forum, and ask some, so need for that here.
B)    List of popular Scratchers:
Due to a lot of complaining, I have sent a swarm of text eating zombies to eat this list.

C)    List of Tools Divisions (Instead of naming every tool, here is a division:
1:Move
2:Turn
3:Go to
4:Glide
5:X and Y changes and sets
6:If on Edge
7: X position and Y position
8:Headblocks
9: Waits
10:Forevers
11:Broadcasts
12:If’s
13:Stops
14:Costumes
15: Communications
16: Effects
17: Sizes
18: Touchings
19: Mouse
20: Pressing
21:Asks
22:Loudness
23:Noise
24: Numbers
25: Pens
26: Variables
27: Lists

Check the Scratch Wikia and look up “Blocks” for more info.

Looks Looks  is a section on the top of Scratch. It is purple and controls how the character looks. It can : Change Costumes, Change Sizes, Change Graphics, Set Size, Show and Hide

Important Information about Looks:

1:Has 17 different blocks

2: Is necessary for a project with Costumes

3: Has the “Say” and “Think” blocks, the most commonly used blocks in looks.

4: Can be recognized by it's purple color.

M

Mario Popular sprite character, commonly used with scratch.

Megaman A user which usually appears in Turtlewarrior’s projects, and REALLY should not be in this dictionary. Appears with godzilla

Motion

A section that divides blocks. In controles all movement and can : Move, Turn, Point, Go To, Glide,  Change X, Change Y, and bounce.

Important Information about Motion:

1:Has 16 different blocks

2: Is necessary for a project where stuff moves ( “Stuff Moves” is the scientific term, of couse )

3: Has the Move ___ steps, which is really popular and found in over 60% of all projects

4: Can be recognized by it's blue color.

My Friends Latest Projects See Projects

N

N/A Not applicable. Like the “N” column because there is nothing in it besides this and

Newest Projects See Projects

O

Orange A fruit... what?

P
Pen A section which deals with a line coming from the end of the sprite. It has 11 different blocks and is green. It is the least popularly used section.

Projects A project is either a [i] game , movie, or thingmajig [/b] that is made and  sometimes submitted using scratch. There are many favorite projects. On the front page they are seperated into

Newest Projects- The earliest projects submitted
Featured Projects- Projects Selected for their awesomeness
My Friends Latest Projects- Self Explanitory
Projects Selected by ________- The curators selected projects
Projects from Scratch Design studio= Every so often a contest is held, and the best of that contest are put on the front page.
Top Remixed- Self Explanitory
Top Loved- Self Explanitory
Top Viewed- Self Explanitory

See Also: Game, Move, Thingmajig.

Q

R

S

Scratch: See [i] Important Top Lining Definitions 
At the top of this page.

Scratch Cat The mascot for Scratch. Appears whenever you open up a new project in Scratch.

Scratch Development Team: The Scratch development team includes: Mitchel Resnick, John Maloney, Natalie Rusk, Evelyn Eastmond, Amon Millner, Jay Silver, Eric Rosenbaum, and Karen Brennan in the Lifelong Kindergarten group at the MIT Media Lab.

Scratch Olympics A forum game where users make teams of 5 or less and then work together to make a game. They are then voted on. Made by user Technomad- Uh I mean Technoman.

Sensing

Sensing can be found on the top of Scratch, and is light blue. It was the only Section with no Connector Blocks  except for “Recet Timer” until 1.4 when it got “Ask _______ and wait” connector. It consists mainly of tabs , and smells of rutabega.

Important Information about Sensing:

1:Has 17 different blocks

2: Is the biggest tab section.

3:  Has the main feature added from 1.4, the ask block.

4: Can be recognized by it's light blue color.

Show And Tell ( Forums ) A forum where you can show off your projects and galleries

Sound A section which has many blocks that play sound, or change sound.

Stage No, I didn't forget it. Sheesh, some people these days...

Suggestions (forums ) [/b] A forum topic where you can make suggestions towards scratch

T

Tabs Small blocks that fit inside either blank circles or diamonds.

Turtlewarrior Some guy who is awesome, but honestly does not belong in this Scratchepedia, and is just here because the weirdo wanted at least some credit for making such a long post.

Ten Questions of Doom A game which honesly does not belong in the Scratchepedia, but broke in and weaseled itself in here. I tried to remove it but it bit me. Honestly!

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

By: Turtlewarrior

NB: I am awesome

PS: I am awesome

PSS: I smell of rutabaga

PSSS: This took a long time

PSSSS: There are more entries here than in the Scratch Wikia, which is pretty sad.

PSSSSS: Remember to go to this Link for more help :  "Everything about Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=20458 )"

PSSSSSS: Stickied! Woohoo! I've never gotten anything stickied before!

PSSSSSSS: PSSSSSSSS means pancake syrup syrup syrup etc. Don't deny me, I'm too dashingly handsome.

PSSSSSSSSS: Remember, this is definitely not a work in progress.

Last edited by turtlewarrior (2010-08-08 17:16:52)

#2 2009-08-02 12:29:17

Mozaz
Scratcher

Re: ITopic:THE ALMIGHTY SCRATIONARY!! (for Scratch Illtererate Users)

Wow, nice list! Should get stickied soon  smile

http://i33.tinypic.com/15i5fmp.png

#3 2009-08-02 12:44:55

BWOG
Scratcher

I don't think it needs to be stickied.

#4 2009-08-02 20:12:55

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

The word "Scrationary" is now on google. Look it up.

#5 2009-08-03 09:51:31

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

bump

#6 2009-08-03 09:53:50

The-Whiz
Scratcher

Hey could you put my "Everything about Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=20458 )" as a link here?

Last edited by The-Whiz (2009-08-03 09:54:18)

#7 2009-08-03 09:57:28

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

The-Whiz wrote:

Hey could you put my "Everything about Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=20458 )" as a link here?

Sure, seems like a useful thing to put.

#8 2009-08-03 09:58:33

The-Whiz
Scratcher

I put this as a link on mine too...

Basically it will tell all about every Scratch block and Scratch function and everything about the website and forums.

Last edited by The-Whiz (2009-08-03 09:59:18)

#9 2009-08-03 10:00:50

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

yikes
Is that list of popular Scratchers in order?

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#10 2009-08-03 10:17:58

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

Blade-Edge wrote:

yikes
Is that list of popular Scratchers in order?

I doubt it...

Mainly cause I have no clue what "in order" means.

#11 2009-08-03 10:22:34

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

1 is the most popular and 11 is the least

#12 2009-08-03 10:34:46

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

Nope

#13 2009-08-03 10:37:04

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

Okay, good. I was gonna be like "Tanner-FBI, and norberts were more popular then me?"

#14 2009-08-03 10:56:14

Imic
Scratcher

i never new blade was popular. i knew he is popular on the forums...

#15 2009-08-03 11:48:58

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

How can you not know and know something?

#16 2009-08-03 11:50:30

coolstuff
Community Moderator

You really shouldn't have added Archmage and Cheddargirl and the rest of 'em.

Aside from that, this is an AMAZING JOB. It contains about everything you need to know!

#17 2009-08-03 12:17:40

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

I had a feeling people would complain about the List of Popular Scrachers. I might just delete the list entirely.

#18 2009-08-03 12:19:05

coolstuff
Community Moderator

That would make everyone feel better, I'm sure  smile

#19 2009-08-03 13:25:06

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

Very nice  smile  I'm sure it will be stickied soon  smile

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#20 2009-08-03 16:17:09

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

Very nice  smile  I'm sure it will be stickied soon  smile

I doubt it. First someone has to see it, and even if a mod or someone from the Scratch Team does they'll have to sticky it. I just hope it helps a few people before it dies.

*Slink off in to Self-pity*

Last edited by turtlewarrior (2009-08-03 16:20:19)

#21 2009-08-04 03:31:00

Chrischb
Scratcher

Wow... you really put a lot of time into this!

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#22 2009-08-04 16:39:08

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

Is it possible to request something to get stickied, or if a scratch team member does not see it you are out of luck.

#23 2009-08-04 20:23:33

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

#24 2009-08-04 20:44:27

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

No need to bump  wink  I would sticky it but I am worried about the "List of Popular Scratchers" category, as a such a list is subject to bias and changes over time.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#25 2009-08-04 20:55:58

turtlewarrior
Scratcher

I got rid of it.

Board footer