This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-03-20 07:49:30

bernatp
Scratcher

Declaring and searching by genre

Are you planning to add a genre attribute to projects? Genres could be selected from a list, eg. game, simulation, animation, greeting card, other; and a search function (by genre) would be useful as well.

#2 2007-03-20 09:51:35

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Declaring and searching by genre

That's a great idea. What about using the tags for that?  You and everyone else tag projects that would be basically creating a (user-generated) genre.

Something we are thinking about is allowing people to tag projects from within the Scratch interface, right on the Share dialog screen.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#3 2007-03-20 15:54:45

bernatp
Scratcher

You are right, tags are quite good.
My only problem is that when you are browsing the projects, you can't see any quick information about them (Is it a game, an animation...?)
A genre-definiton or at least showing the first three tags (if exist) next to the project's thumbnail would make the chosing easier! (Wouldn't it?)
(I think giving at least a tag (which describes the genre) or giving the genre from a list should be a necessary condition (within the Scratch interface) to upload a project in order to keep the projects' base tidy.)

#4 2007-03-20 16:19:12

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

bernatp wrote:

A genre-definiton or at least showing the first three tags (if exist) next to the project's thumbnail would make the chosing easier! (Wouldn't it?)

Good idea! I will add that to my list of feature enhancements.

The next version of Scratch will let you choose tags right form the Share Dialog box. It's great to know that you would find that useful.

I am not sure about forcing people to select one category. I can see why it would be useful, but I wouldn't want people to feel discouraged to share because they are not choosing a category.

Thanks a lot for your input, please post any other ideas/complains you might have about the website.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#5 2007-03-21 13:19:06

bernatp
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

I wouldn't want people to feel discouraged to share because they are not choosing a category.

I should have thought it over better. I agree with you.

Board footer