This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Using Scratch as a simulator for engineering projects for K2-5 grade

#1 2009-07-20 09:13:03

billw
Scratcher

Using Scratch as a simulator for engineering projects for K2-5 grade

Hi Everybody,
I wonder if anybody has suggestions for me based on their experience in using scratch.  I want to use this with K-5 grade students to support doing engineering projects around design challenges from stories.  As an example, designing and building a better house for the pigs or a machine to help the wolf get in the house. Another example might be using it for Templeton the Rat  in Charlotte Web.store or manage all the goodies collected.  Can this tool be used as a design simulator?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 2009-07-20 09:38:36

shadow_7283
Scratcher

Re: Using Scratch as a simulator for engineering projects for K2-5 grade

billw wrote:

Hi Everybody,
I wonder if anybody has suggestions for me based on their experience in using scratch.  I want to use this with K-5 grade students to support doing engineering projects around design challenges from stories.  As an example, designing and building a better house for the pigs or a machine to help the wolf get in the house. Another example might be using it for Templeton the Rat  in Charlotte Web.store or manage all the goodies collected.  Can this tool be used as a design simulator?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hmmm . . . I can't pretend I'm an expert at this thing, but I've been working with Scratch for over a couple years so I think I have a couple ideas. Scratch probably isn't the best program for this, but with some patience and some good programming skills, you could create somewhat of a simulator. Here is a pretty good "highway building simulator" http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Paddle2See/159791. It doesn't have much to do with what you are talking about, but if there was a busy road in on of those stories and you wanted to fix the design, there is the project for you. :) Again, this doesn't have much to do with the stories, but I have used a program called west point bridge builder. http://bridgecontest.usma.edu/ It is easy to learn and is an AMAZING simulator of bridge physics.
In short, if you have enough experience in Scratch, you could definitely build a realistic simulator with a little bit of hard work.

#3 2009-07-20 09:41:13

filo5
Scratcher

Re: Using Scratch as a simulator for engineering projects for K2-5 grade

Hmm.... Not really. It may be used for those, but some of those propositions are hard to make.

Converting my Scratch projects to Python!

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Using Scratch as a simulator for engineering projects for K2-5 grade

Board footer