This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2013-04-30 10:08:09

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

Re: The Beatles - Official Topic

[removed by moderator - please make sure your links lead to material that is appropriate for all ages] Have you guys read this? I don't take it word-by-word, but it's definitely an interesting read.

Last edited by Paddle2See (2013-04-30 10:27:42)

#52 2013-04-30 10:12:11

DIY
Scratcher

I wouldn't take "Rolling Stone"'s accounts myself. They are noted for having had biased or untrue articles in the past, and besides their rankings are compiled horrendously. btw, you may want to take down that link as it contains verbal obscenities.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#53 2013-04-30 10:24:29

veggieman
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

I wouldn't take "Rolling Stone"'s accounts myself. They are noted for having had biased or untrue articles in the past, and besides their rankings are compiled horrendously. btw, you may want to take down that link as it contains verbal obscenities.

Wait, wait... before you go and badmouth publications, can you provide some sources for your pretty harsh accusations, as well as not bash them on matters of opinion??

Some days, I wish that my posts would stop disappearing

#54 2013-04-30 10:38:41

jji7skyline
Scratcher

veggieman wrote:

DIY wrote:

Wait, wait... before you go and badmouth publications, can you provide some sources for your pretty harsh accusations, as well as not bash them on matters of opinion??

Well we've (DIY and I) agreed that some of their 'top 100' lists were less than honest.

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#55 2013-04-30 11:21:53

DIY
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

veggieman wrote:

DIY wrote:

Well we've (DIY and I) agreed that some of their 'top 100' lists were less than honest.

I can vouch for that.

And I'm entitled to my opinion; I certainly don't think "Like A Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan and "Satisfaction" by Rolling Stones were placed #1 and #2 respectively on their 500 Greatest Songs list for their true merit. It's rather unequivocal, the reason for placing those there, wouldn't one say? Think for yourself...

Last edited by DIY (2013-04-30 11:23:14)

#56 2013-04-30 11:26:45

possibly
New Scratcher

Isn't that discounting the quality of those songs just because of the resemblance of names? Sure, they definitely wouldn't be on my top 500 list, but they are the ones making the list.
I could make a list and you could say it was unequivocal or unambiguous, but it's still my opinion and you don't necessarily have to read it

#57 2013-04-30 11:32:33

jji7skyline
Scratcher

possibly wrote:

Isn't that discounting the quality of those songs just because of the resemblance of names? Sure, they definitely wouldn't be on my top 500 list, but they are the ones making the list.
I could make a list and you could say it was unequivocal or unambiguous, but it's still my opinion and you don't necessarily have to read it

You can have an opinion on something, and i could have an opinion on your opinion and another person could have an opinion on mine. As long as it stays that way.

#58 2013-04-30 11:33:59

Suparing01
New Scratcher

We can all agree on one thing;

The Beatles wouldn't be The Beatles if either Paul, John, George or Ringo weren't in it. I know that's a bit obvious.

Do none of you get annoyed when people say Ringo was a bad drummer, or the other three could have made it huge without him? I think that's a lie. Although Ringo is my least favourite of The Beatles, he fitted in perfectly with the Beatles song tunes, and if you compare him to their ex drummer, Pete Best, he sounds like a god drumming.

Did anyone hear the anthology 1 version of 'Love Me Do'? If you haven't, I advise you listen to the drumming in it, by Pete.

I don't mean to rag on him, but, c'mon.

#59 2013-04-30 11:38:15

Suparing01
New Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Suparing01 wrote:

And I feel he was the best song writer, too. John may have written the best lyrics, but I feel Paul wrote the best melodies, overall.

There was a Cracked article on Paul's apparently terrible solo career being a bunch of cheesy pop, and a commenter talked about how The Beatles were perfect because Paul's catchy pop was counterbalanced by John's experimentation and it made a new but safe style, and then in the solo careers, John was good because he was different and new, but Paul just kept making cheesy catchy stuff.

What are the mains??

I feel that's a bit harsh of whoever made that article, saying that.

Sure, maybe his solo career was very cheesy, but so what? He had made amazing songs for The Beatles, he deserves to kick back and just make cheesy songs with his wife, after his career.

Although, I don't find 'Live and Let Die' to be cheesy, I think that's a very Beatly Paul song. :p

#60 2013-04-30 11:38:37

DIY
Scratcher

possibly wrote:

There's obviously some monumental statement staring right at your face when the top two slots - top two slots - have something in common with the magazine name.  How am I even discounting the quality of the songs? They would be on my top 500 list, but not on those two slots for certain; I never said I wouldn't regard them on such a list, nor did I degrade them. The pure fact that those two songs are the list's top holders is more than just a coincidence.

Last edited by DIY (2013-04-30 11:51:43)

#61 2013-04-30 11:41:10

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

There obviously some monumental statement staring right at your face when the top two slots - top two slots - have something in common with the magazine name.  How am I even discounting the quality of the songs? They would be on my top 500 list, but not on those two slots for certain; I never said I wouldn't regard them on such a list, nor did I degrade them. The pure fact that those two songs are the list's top holders is more than just a coincidence.

They are pretty famous songs.
What reason would they put them at the top anyway..?

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#62 2013-04-30 11:44:36

DIY
Scratcher

mythbusteranimator wrote:

DIY wrote:

There obviously some monumental statement staring right at your face when the top two slots - top two slots - have something in common with the magazine name.  How am I even discounting the quality of the songs? They would be on my top 500 list, but not on those two slots for certain; I never said I wouldn't regard them on such a list, nor did I degrade them. The pure fact that those two songs are the list's top holders is more than just a coincidence.

I dunno if you're agreed on the point here or not?

What I'm saying is that, yes, they're famous, great melodies and thus would qualify under my top 500, but deffo not on the top two slots, for namesake.

Last edited by DIY (2013-04-30 11:45:02)

#63 2013-04-30 13:31:32

nama
Scratcher

My favorite Beatles songs are "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "She Loves You," "Ticket To Ride" and "Nowhere Man."

Also "Think For Yourself" and the 5-minute bootleg versions of "Dig It."

Last edited by nama (2013-05-04 11:59:19)

You say goodbye to 1.4, I say hello to 2.0.

#64 2013-04-30 13:58:52

genderdysmorphia
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

veggieman wrote:

I can vouch for that.

And I'm entitled to my opinion; I certainly don't think "Like A Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan and "Satisfaction" by Rolling Stones were placed #1 and #2 respectively on their 500 Greatest Songs list for their true merit. It's rather unequivocal, the reason for placing those there, wouldn't one say? Think for yourself...

[removed by moderator - please keep it polite] top 500 lists are a matter of opinion, not a [removed by moderator] recognised fact

Last edited by Paddle2See (2013-04-30 16:09:51)

goodby scrat on pont fore

#65 2013-04-30 15:13:24

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

DIY wrote:

What I'm saying is that, yes, they're famous, great melodies and thus would qualify under my top 500, but deffo not on the top two slots, for namesake.

Why are we making a deal of this anyway?
Even if it was on purpose, so?  tongue
This is a poll by the people, but can still be biased I guess

Everything is just opinionated

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#66 2013-04-30 18:31:19

7734f
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

Not many people.....etc.

That was a loooooooooooooong post  tongue  Cool story bro.

I also like I wanna hold your hand

http://internetometer.com/image/38992.png   http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#67 2013-04-30 21:10:13

soupoftomato
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

That'll be biased due to the people who are accessing it, who have stronger opinions than other voters (or non-voters that didn't see it worth their time), etc.

Anyway, I think the top 2 on that 500 list make enough sense, even if I might not put them there specifically.

What do they stand to gain by putting songs with a similar title to their publication in the lead? You're already reading their site if you see that.

Last edited by soupoftomato (2013-04-30 21:15:26)

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#68 2013-04-30 21:10:52

Sellout
Scratcher

So how are they supposed to go about making these kinds of lists then?

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#69 2013-04-30 21:17:26

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

So how are they supposed to go about making these kinds of lists then?

I never said the 500 list wouldn't be biased also. The majority of the list being classic rock and such shows that the editors contribution are primarily fans of that area of music.

So, if you see a top list, it's an interesting opinion on something, possibly (hopefully) with some at least decent reasoning behind it!

Last edited by soupoftomato (2013-04-30 21:17:58)

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#70 2013-04-30 22:27:01

DIY
Scratcher

Everything is just opinionated

My exact point is, that is hardly opinionated, the top two slot holders sharing the same name. One would be rather gullible to think that the creators and editors of that list actually put those two up there because it was their honest opinion. It is clearly not. One of the songs up there is possibly somewhat fathomable, but this is not opinion like I've stated many times before. The creators have obviously been very liberal and airy with slotting in the two songs at number one and two.

Last edited by DIY (2013-04-30 22:32:35)

#71 2013-05-01 00:27:46

veggieman
Scratcher

Ranking songs by how good they are seems silly to me anyway, especially if you base so much of your list on that time period.

Some days, I wish that my posts would stop disappearing

#72 2013-05-01 00:33:48

jji7skyline
Scratcher

veggieman wrote:

Ranking songs by how good they are seems silly to me anyway, especially if you base so much of your list on that time period.

Why especially that time period?

#73 2013-05-01 02:51:41

DIY
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

I see nothing wrong with that either. That time period contained great music. I don't just say this, but most mainstream music nowadays don't showcase the talent and message of pop music back then. A lot of pop and rap songs today increasingly have profanity in all sorts of forms, and meaningless lyrics like going for a kill and the such. Plus with the implementation of pitch correct which many singers use, talentless people relentlessly call themselves 'musicians'. This makes painful listening with regard to particular singers, like I remember both of us agreed on a while back. That's not saying I hate all modern music. I am an avid Coldplay and maybe even a Take That fan, plus I'm enthusiastic about other existing contemporary artists.

#74 2013-05-01 04:59:02

jji7skyline
Scratcher

DIY wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

I see nothing wrong with that either. That time period contained great music. I don't just say this, but most mainstream music nowadays don't showcase the talent and message of pop music back then. A lot of pop and rap songs today increasingly have profanity in all sorts of forms, and meaningless lyrics like going for a kill and the such. Plus with the implementation of pitch correct which many singers use, talentless people relentlessly call themselves 'musicians'. This makes painful listening with regard to particular singers, like I remember both of us agreed on a while back. That's not saying I hate all modern music. I am an avid Coldplay and maybe even a Take That fan, plus I'm enthusiastic about other existing contemporary artists.

I agree and though some modern music can be tasteful, a lot isn't. I'm find it off putting that a lot of artists don't write their own songs.

#75 2013-05-01 05:00:19

DIY
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

DIY wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

I agree and though some modern music can be tasteful, a lot isn't. I'm find it off putting that a lot of artists don't write their own songs.

+1 That as well, not writing their own songs.

Board footer