This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-04-29 10:00:51

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

Re: The Beatles - Official Topic

Uh, probably, Here Comes The Sun, I Want to Tell You, and Taxman?

#27 2013-04-29 10:12:44

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Here Comes the Sun is one of my favourite songs  smile

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#28 2013-04-29 10:13:52

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

Yeah it's really good
I learned how to play a small part of it on guitar once and was so happy with myself lol

#29 2013-04-29 10:16:29

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Awesome! I play it too, and I did a cover of it in my old band The Walruses  smile

https://soundcloud.com/jji7skyline/here-comes-the-sun
^^ That's my personal mix of it because I didn't like the one our mixer did  tongue

#30 2013-04-29 11:25:13

DIY
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

Awesome! I play it too, and I did a cover of it in my old band The Walruses  smile

https://soundcloud.com/jji7skyline/here-comes-the-sun
^^ That's my personal mix of it because I didn't like the one our mixer did  tongue

roll

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

#31 2013-04-29 12:47:32

Suparing01
New Scratcher

IMO: (The ones they sing is what I class as their songs)

Best Paul Songs:
Yesterday( My all time favourite)
Here, there and everywhere
Your mother should know
I'll follow the sun
I've just seen a face
I'm looking through you
Michelle
Eleanor Rigby
For No One
Getting Better
Oh! Darling
The end
Hey Jude
Let it be
We can work it out

Best John Songs:
In my life
A Day in the life
Across the universe
Help!
Nowhere man
Come together
Norweigan wood
Strawberry fields forever
You're going to lose that girl

Best George Songs:
I'm happy just to dance with you
Do you want to know a secret?
Here comes the sun
Something
I me mine

Best Ringo Songs:
Yellow submarine
With a little help from my friends
Octopus's garden

Favourites from each, at the moment:

Paul - Here, there and everywhere

John - In my life

George - Do you want to know a secret?

Ringo - With a little help from my friends

#32 2013-04-29 14:10:18

Suparing01
New Scratcher

In my opinion, Paul was the most talented

He could handle a lot of singing notes:

If I fell - High
Here there and everywhere - Soothing
Helter Skelter - Screamy
Yesterday - Medium

And he could play a LOT of instruments. I mean a LOT.

And I feel he was the best song writer, too. John may have written the best lyrics, but I feel Paul wrote the best melodies, overall.

#33 2013-04-29 14:45:28

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

Their writing styles were very different

Also, I find it interesting how much Paul experimented with different singing
I probably would have never knew that he sang Lady Madonna, if someone hadn't told me

#34 2013-04-29 15:29:44

Suparing01
New Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

Their writing styles were very different

Also, I find it interesting how much Paul experimented with different singing
I probably would have never knew that he sang Lady Madonna, if someone hadn't told me

I know right! When I first heard that song, I thought it was Ringo xD

It's pretty cool how he does that. When I first heard Oh! Darling I thought it was a John song.

#35 2013-04-29 18:37:33

7734f
Scratcher

I like John Lennon and Ringo  tongue

http://internetometer.com/image/38992.png   http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#36 2013-04-29 20:42:48

veggieman
Scratcher

Suparing01 wrote:

I'm happy just to dance with you

Oh man, how'd I forget that one??

Some days, I wish that my posts would stop disappearing

#37 2013-04-29 20:46:09

cartooncreator
Scratcher

I haven't listened to a lot of their music, but my favorites from what I've heard are:

-I Wanna Hold Your Hand
-Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
-Yellow Submarine
-Here Comes the Sun

http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#38 2013-04-29 21:59:03

jji7skyline
Scratcher

cartooncreator wrote:

I haven't listened to a lot of their music, but my favorites from what I've heard are:

-I Wanna Hold Your Hand
-Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
-Yellow Submarine
-Here Comes the Sun

Awesome starter. Now dig into the mains  wink

#39 2013-04-29 22:13:38

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Suparing01 wrote:

And I feel he was the best song writer, too. John may have written the best lyrics, but I feel Paul wrote the best melodies, overall.

There was a Cracked article on Paul's apparently terrible solo career being a bunch of cheesy pop, and a commenter talked about how The Beatles were perfect because Paul's catchy pop was counterbalanced by John's experimentation and it made a new but safe style, and then in the solo careers, John was good because he was different and new, but Paul just kept making cheesy catchy stuff.

What are the mains??

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#40 2013-04-29 22:18:25

Sellout
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

veggieman wrote:

I like all of them except John.

I'm surprised tbh, I would have thought you'd like him.

He was a little unlikable, pretentious, and rude. Married some kook because he pretended to like her kooky art and then totally ignored his firstborn and first wife (Who he beat). Perfect rolemodel for VeggieMan, eh?

Last edited by Sellout (2013-04-29 22:21:08)

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#41 2013-04-29 22:35:04

jji7skyline
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Suparing01 wrote:

There was a Cracked article on Paul's apparently terrible solo career being a bunch of cheesy pop, and a commenter talked about how The Beatles were perfect because Paul's catchy pop was counterbalanced by John's experimentation and it made a new but safe style, and then in the solo careers, John was good because he was different and new, but Paul just kept making cheesy catchy stuff.

What are the mains??

Good summary.

By mains, I meant dig into the other stuff, now that you've had a taster  tongue

@Sellout: I was kind of talking about John's music rather than his life as a role model, but veggie doesn't like it if you capitalise his name D:

#42 2013-04-29 22:35:57

veggieman
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

veggieman wrote:

I like all of them except John.

I'm surprised tbh, I would have thought you'd like him.

He was a little unlikable, pretentious, and rude. Married some kook because he pretended to like her kooky art and then totally ignored his firstborn and first wife (Who he beat). Perfect rolemodel for VeggieMan, eh?

Those are definitely some of the reasons I don't like him.

#43 2013-04-29 22:36:54

Sellout
Scratcher

Well it was John (A person) he was saying he didn't like, not John's music, so I was assuming it would've been specified

And I can capitalise whatever I want  smile

#44 2013-04-29 22:38:03

veggieman
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

Well it was John (A person) he was saying he didn't like, not John's music, so I was assuming it would've been specified

Yeah. I have no real problem with John's music except I find a lot of it boring especially during his solo career, besides the fact that John made it.

And indeed you can.

#45 2013-04-29 23:37:50

jji7skyline
Scratcher

veggieman wrote:

Sellout wrote:

Yeah. I have no real problem with John's music except I find a lot of it boring especially during his solo career, besides the fact that John made it.

And indeed you can.

I don't care much for most of their solo careers, they were best as a band  tongue

#46 2013-04-29 23:42:37

Sellout
Scratcher

George had the best solo career

#47 2013-04-29 23:42:43

veggieman
Scratcher

All Things Must Pass and McCartney both have good songs on them, but that's the extent of what I've listened to besides some of John's songs (and I refuse to listen to Ringo on principle).

#48 2013-04-29 23:46:56

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

Dunno about that, his most popular song was actually a cover of a 50s song, and he didn't really have any other hits...

Ringo sang good songs in the band though!

#49 2013-04-29 23:47:26

Sellout
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

Sellout wrote:

Dunno about that, his most popular song was actually a cover of a 50s song, and he didn't really have any other hits...

By "best" I didn't mean most successful  smile

#50 2013-04-30 08:20:51

DIY
Scratcher

Not many people here seem to know the true stuff. One would be very shallow minded if they put blame on John solely. Yoko (though her acts in the studio were immature at the time) was a woman who had to endure lots of racial prejudice as she was Asian, not just for the stuff she did. Yes, John brought her into the studio, but Paul acted hypocritical too when he didn't allow it and then started bringing Linda in too. Plus, Paul also didn't want female voices on a Beatle record, but ended up giving his wife harmonies for the single release of "Let It Be". I'm not saying John is fully right, but he stood up for the woman he loved (you would have to get the "I do things with her, screw you, brother or sister, you don't know what's happening" reference). How many people divorce anyway? When a celeb does it, there's always a big hoo-haa about it... Many tend to look at the thorns rather than the roses in him just because he was what you'd call an "Indigo Child", not in the fantastical  meaning of it, but in terms of eccentric genius. A lot of his works, if you look at its deeper meaning, truly speak out of his loneliness (such as "Strawberry Fields Forever", 'no one I think is in my tree', "Watching the Wheels", 'people say I'm crazy, doing what I'm doing', which I really admire). Some may say he's just crazy, and are not wrong in saying so, but I'd say he's more of a crazy genius, as what he contributed to this world is enormous.

And John definitely had the better vocal range out of him and Paul, although many seem to on the surface say Paul is better. Doing a raucous vocal does not require range; one can simply perform chest voice. Paul did that in songs like "Lady Madonna" and the second segment of "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Long Tall Sally", etc., etc. If you take "A Day In the Life", it is a very haunting, high vocal track John sings. Not very high some may say, but take the last note John sings in "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (the 'gun' bit). If those were to be compared with his solo release of "Nobody Loves You (When You're Down and Out", that is a jump of a couple of octaves. There is also a great difference between the demos of "Strawberry Fields Forever" which sound beautiful as they are, and the final outcome, with a contrasting vocal track. I have not come across any rankings that even suggest Paul was a better vocalist than him.

That's not to take anything from Paul. I admire his perfectionist qualities and can relate to him that way. Great bassist and PR guy but what snapped it in the end was his single last act of competitive immaturity with John. When drugs hit John, they hit him real hard and he went into depression, increasing following Brian Epstein's death. Paul was not ready to be that rock he needed to be to a man who had been struck by tragedy all his life (John lost his mother, his father left him, and he lost Uncle George). Ringo and George were with John and it was Paul fighting alone, but trying to get Lee Eastman to manage the Beatles just because Paul was his son-in-law was utter bigotry. And the stupidest thing he did was to secretly arrange with EMI to get more income from the "Lennon/McCartney" songs, even following John's death. That is an insult to John's memory and even George expressed his anger when he found out years later saying "When someone stabs you in the back, you look to see if they stab you again".

This may sound like I'm acting John's ambassador or something, but I really could go on condemning John on more of his wrong points too. I'm just focusing on clearing things up about him because I'm sick of hearing casual listeners say "It was John's fault" or "I hate John", with hardly any Beatles background at all. I recommend "You Never Give Me Your Money" by the famous rock writer Peter Doggett, which gives well rounded, rather unbiased account of what happened during the break-up and after. Keep in mind that Paul is the one alive, so either people live to hear his side of the story only or they write to please him, on most instances. I didn't find Geoff Emerick's "Here, There and Everywhere" very informative at all as all that did was suck up to Paul. A real Christmas stocking on a tombstone.

About their solo careers, John was fantastic with the records "Imagine", "Double Fantasy", "Milk and Honey" and so on too, while Paul came out with stuff like "Band on the Run" which I liked, and the occasional infectious single like "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Mull of Kintyre". Incomparable - both had great unique styles. As George Martin said, John was the cleverer of the two when it came to lyrics generally, and Paul with regard to musical knowledge, but that is not to say John couldn't write fab tunes and Paul good lyrics.

This post is long as I had to include these details before people start blaming the other again, but all in all, we should be happy that the two made amends at the time of Lennon's death. In no way am I saying John was better, but as I said, way too many people live to hear only Paul's side of the story. I love and will always love the Fab Four, so in no way do I mean to hate on any of them.

As for my Beatles song favourites, I would never even begin to choose. I once started to list them on another thread, but ended up stating metaphorically every conceivable song.

Last edited by DIY (2013-04-30 08:23:57)

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/DIYmit/simple-blue-1024jpg.jpg

Board footer