This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-23 09:55:54

Failord
Scratcher

New blocks suggestion for 2.0

The reason I'm posting here is I can't login in 2.0 Beta on Internet Explorer, the only internet browser installed on school comptuters. (FIX THIS, ST!!!)

Actually, there are two reasons; the other is that here I can use the forums to make pictures of scripts.

So my idea is individual lists of "statuses" for all sprites, under sensing, meaning that they would be blue and not red. Let's say you're programming a game with all kinds of enemies in all kinds of colors that you want to make your many characters sense. This would help.

Blocks would look like:

add [status] status to [sprite v]
This adds the desired status to the desired sprite. On the dropdown menu, you could also select "all sprites," "all clones," "all," and "myself."

remove [status] status from [sprite v]
This is the block to to remove statuses.

<touching [status] status?>
This would be simple- all sprites with the status would tell the block if they're touching the sprite containing this boolean. If even one is touching, it registers as true.

<[sprite v] has [status] status?>
Just a simple block to check for these things.

One more thing, all sprites would permanently have "sprite" status, and all clones would have "clone" status. These couldn't be removed. Stage/Backdrop would not have statuses.

Problems I can think of:
Generally, it's not needed. But it would be helpful in games with lots of characters, enemies, projectiles, etc.
It uses more data, which might slow down the system.
There is probably a workaround.
...etc, you get the idea.

So what do you think? I know there are flaws, but are they big and bad enough to deny this? Is it a good idea? Please let me know, and provide lots of reasons!

Last edited by Failord (2013-04-27 23:20:53)

#2 2013-04-23 16:00:49

LeDerpy123
Scratcher

Re: New blocks suggestion for 2.0

Good ideas, but what version of Internet Explorer are you on? 9 and 10 should work, 8 should be... ok. 7 and below should have problems. If you don't know go here to find out!

http://www.winpenpack.com/en/e107_files/downloadthumbs/logo_mixxx.png

#3 2013-04-27 23:20:21

Failord
Scratcher

LeDerpy123 wrote:

Good ideas, but what version of Internet Explorer are you on? 9 and 10 should work, 8 should be... ok. 7 and below should have problems. If you don't know go here to find out!

It's fixed now. Go ST!!! The recent updates ROCK!

#4 2013-04-28 11:16:49

Hyperbola
Scratcher

LeDerpy123 wrote:

go here to find out!

That link is outdated apparently, it claims IE9 is the most current, while IE10 has come out about a year ago.

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

Board footer