This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-23 02:42:43

gillystrawb
New Scratcher

Mobile scratch apple,android,Samsung etc.

So I was thinking if there was mobile scratch there could be TONS of possibilities like playing scratch games,animations,music etc. on your tablit or phone anywhere and work on projects while on vacation anywhere anytime anyplace

#2 2013-04-23 03:16:47

Gravitation
New Scratcher

Re: Mobile scratch apple,android,Samsung etc.

It's not just as simple as "hey, let's make a mobile Scratch!"

Scratch 1.4 or under will never be usable on mobile devices (besides laptops, if you count those as mobile). However, Scratch 2.0 is browser-based, and as programmed using Flash, which is (if I remember correctly) supported on Android devices (Samsung, HTC, and many other cellphone brands run Android by default). However, Apple devices are leaving Flash and going on towards HTML5, which creates a problem. Scratch 2.0 cannot work on new Apple devices. The solution is to use sb2.js, which is a player/editor or 2.0 projects that an older Scratcher (who is banned, unfortunately) is working on. I don't know much about it, other than it is in Javascript, so it'll work on all modern browsers that have Javascript enabled. http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12239448/js%20project%20reader/index.htm

#3 2013-04-23 07:12:48

gillystrawb
New Scratcher

Mabye it could have Dropbox intagration

#4 2013-04-23 07:24:05

gillystrawb
New Scratcher

And I was thinking of an app an app could use what iOS and other phones and tablets are using and wouldn't have to use flash or java (my oppinion is fact if you don't know the pact you don't kn... you can go back to school)

#5 2013-04-23 08:23:11

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Check out the Puffin browser app, which works on both iPad and Android tablets - it runs Flash on it's servers and sends the output to the tablet - thus getting around Apple's lack of Flash support.  It can run Scratch 2.0 projects (rather slowly) and you can even build projects with it, if you are patient.  It has keyboard and mouse emulators that work quite well.  It's not free - but it doesn't cost a lot.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#6 2013-04-23 08:54:55

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

PLEASE read the stickies before suggesting this.
This is about the 6th time in the past few months.

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#7 2013-04-24 06:11:24

Gravitation
New Scratcher

gillystrawb wrote:

Mabye it could have Dropbox intagration

I don't actually see how that would help, Dropbox is just a file sharing system.

gillystrawb wrote:

And I was thinking of an app an app could use what iOS and other phones and tablets are using and wouldn't have to use flash or java (my oppinion is fact if you don't know the pact you don't kn... you can go back to school)

Like I said earlier, it would take the Scratch Team AGES to make an app that would work on both Android and iOS phones. Also, there isn't just "what iOS and other phones and tablets are using." Java can work on both, but getting a Java program on iOS is a nightmare. Flash could work on both, like Paddle2See said, with Puffin, but since it isn't free, and is very laggy, it isn't a very good solution.

I'm actually looking for a programming language that works on Android and iOS. Since Android is open-source and runs on a custom JVM, and iOS is proprietary and is programmed in C, C++, and Objective-C, C++ might work on both. I believe it is possible, however, Scratch will have to be completely reprogrammed in C++, which will take very long (over a year), because Scratch 2.0 took long also. Plus, like Mythbusteranimator said, this has been suggested a lot of times before, and was rejected by the ST. Mobile Scratch was never their intention. Scratch is an educational initiative, not a real programming tool.

Board footer