This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-20 15:46:09

Muttley1
New Scratcher

I need help with my project

Hi, I am in need of some assistance.  Basically a colleague and myself (both working with young offenders) are setting up a project to build 2 x robots that will be controlled by a raspberry pi.  Build an arena and have the robots (controlled by the offenders) chase each other around the arena in a joust.

Now, the building will be done using Lego (and probably a we-do kit).  We want to use scratch to do the controls, but also want a graphical display on screen of what is happening in the "arena" (essentially 2 sprites that move on screen in conjunction with the control of the "live" robots) and keep score and game time.

I have done a very basic mock up for the on screen bit BUT we want the robot to lift the "jousting arm" up when instructed.  How would I get my sprites on the screen to do this?  Is it better to make other sprites to control that are basically stuck to the side of the main sprites and use the broadcast function?  If so, how the hell would I do this?

Sorry if this is really vague but I have hit the proverbial brick wall.

#2 2013-04-22 16:37:55

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Re: I need help with my project

Muttley1 wrote:

Hi, I am in need of some assistance.  Basically a colleague and myself (both working with young offenders) are setting up a project to build 2 x robots that will be controlled by a raspberry pi.  Build an arena and have the robots (controlled by the offenders) chase each other around the arena in a joust.

Now, the building will be done using Lego (and probably a we-do kit).  We want to use scratch to do the controls, but also want a graphical display on screen of what is happening in the "arena" (essentially 2 sprites that move on screen in conjunction with the control of the "live" robots) and keep score and game time.

I have done a very basic mock up for the on screen bit BUT we want the robot to lift the "jousting arm" up when instructed.  How would I get my sprites on the screen to do this?  Is it better to make other sprites to control that are basically stuck to the side of the main sprites and use the broadcast function?  If so, how the hell would I do this?

Sorry if this is really vague but I have hit the proverbial brick wall.

Well, you can use that broadcast method that you talked about, though you can also use multiple costumes. For example, if you look into my old Lego Star Wars project, you'll see that my clone uses multiple costume to make it look as if he was walking, jumping, hitting, ect...

Both methods work easily as well. Practically, the only difference is that the broadcasting one is slightly more complex, though slightly more flexible. That flexibility you don't really need here, and so I recommend going with broadcasts.

Before I go onto showing you how to do that, could I maybe see what you have so far? I'm intrigued as to what you have.

Also, before I wrap this up, hello Muttley1 and welcome to Scratch! I wish you a great time here!

With regards,

ErnieParke

http://i46.tinypic.com/35ismmc.png

Board footer