This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#126 2013-03-17 23:55:28

smalltortoise
Scratcher

Re: Guidelines for New Scratchers Forum

Hello, I jumped the gun and already posted an introduction so I won't spam myself out by repeating anything. But I'm new and it's nice to be here, I'm enjoying myself.

That aside, I could use some help with Scratch (main reason for this post).

I am dabbling with making Scratch games. I am only skipping around on the surface of different very basic game elements and have not created an actual full game yet, but I am close to embarking on that epic journey.

I've looked at gravity and friction as well as other default scripts that come with the default sprites and I feel like I understand them. Now I want to explore deeper.

One game element I am exploring right now is giving the user the ability to change what is randomly affected in a game. For some back story on this, I want a sprite to cycle through random color changes and image effects. I have found and explored these options and know how to accomplish this. My problem is that I am trying to figure out how to assign different keyboard keys to different effects. For instance, if the user presses the letter "c," I want all image changes to stop and then only cycle through random color changes. Or, if the user presses "p," I want all image changes to stop and then only cycle through random pixelated morphs.

Can someone look at my Scratch Blocks and let me know if there is a better way to do this? I like that color changes and pixelation morphs stick even if you go back and forth, but I don't know if this is the easiest way to do this or how efficient it is for processing. Also, I know that the sprite will change size randomly, I want it to do this. Any pointers on random size changes from different angles than the way I went would be appreciated, too.

Thanks  smile

when gf clicked

switch to costume [costume1 v]

set size to (100)%

clear graphic effects

forever  

change size by (pick random (-5) to (5))

end

when gf clicked

forever if <key [a v] pressed?>  

wait (0.1) secs

forever if <key [a v] pressed?>  

change [color v] effect by (pick random (-100) to (100))

end

end

when gf clicked

forever if <key [p v] pressed?>  

wait (0.1) secs

forever if <key [p v] pressed?>  

change [pixelate v] effect by (pick random (-100) to (100))

end

end

#127 2013-04-01 18:59:30

joshuaho
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Welcome to the New Scratchers forum! 

The New Scratchers Forum is a place where new members introduce themselves and become familiar with some of the different areas of the Scratch Forums. 

We invite you to make your own introductory post here if you want - maybe tell us what you hope to do with Scratch, or about some of your interests.   Or, ask a question you might have about Scratch or the forums.

Please save posts about non-Scratch stuff for the Things I'm Making and Creating or the Things I'm Reading and Playing forums, if your topic fits into those categories. 

Also, please don't use the forums for chatting - there are better sites for that outside of Scratch.

For more information, please take a look at the Important and Helpful Topics guide - it will show you a lot of useful stuff.

Take a look around and I hope you have a great time - Scratch on!

Great guidelines.

Did you know that you can go to space and see Mars by clicking here?

#128 2013-04-04 20:31:33

Tex2u
New Scratcher

Hello all. I am new to developing software but have been involved in hardware and networking for many years. Looking forward to a new challenge and all the help I can get. Regards, Ross.

#129 2013-04-04 20:41:26

Sellout
Scratcher

Tex2u wrote:

Hello all. I am new to developing software but have been involved in hardware and networking for many years. Looking forward to a new challenge and all the help I can get. Regards, Ross.

Welcome Ross !!

Scratch is pretty simple and you can't get much done in terms of software development but it's a great start to programming. Once you get the hang of it, we have plenty of members with knowledge of more advanced languages that could probably help/collaborate with you + point you in the direction of some good resources for those too (: (That happens mostly in the Advanced Topics forum! Some really talented people there! ^O^)

Best of luck messing around/learning Scratch ! If you ever need help that's what we're here for!

Regards too!!,
Sellout

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#130 2013-04-22 06:44:28

ScratchDixie
Scratcher

Hey, I'm obviously not new ( I've been on Scratch for 4 or 5 years ) but how do you post pictures and gifs and put them into your signature? I need help on that, so if someone could tell me that would be great!

Some thing I like are: Warriors, all animals, My Little Pony, Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, and mostly all other cartoons.  big_smile
http://data.whicdn.com/images/39382720/Gravity-Falls-gravity-falls-31500762-480-270_large.gif

#131 2013-04-22 09:42:12

7734f
Scratcher

ScratchDixie wrote:

Hey, I'm obviously not new ( I've been on Scratch for 4 or 5 years ) but how do you post pictures and gifs and put them into your signature? I need help on that, so if someone could tell me that would be great!

You already have one in your sig.....?

http://internetometer.com/image/38992.png   http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#132 2013-04-22 15:18:13

techtime
New Scratcher

hi I am new to this but so far scratch is amazing but what forum do you go on when asking something on making a game

#133 2013-04-22 16:17:33

techtime
New Scratcher

hi I am new to this but so far scratch is amazing but what forum do you go on when asking something on making a game

#134 2013-04-28 23:23:20

Pipdraco
Scratcher

I need to know how you start posts!

"'Forever more, dear Fevlermoar,' said the Wolf outside my door." http://dc.makegames.de/sig/4/DragonGhool.pngFrEAKOutAnDeatPIE.

#135 2013-04-29 00:52:56

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Pipdraco wrote:

I need to know how you start posts!

Go to a topic, such as this one, and click "Post New Topic" (in the right hand corner)! That's it.

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#136 2013-04-29 02:42:26

fast_fire57
New Scratcher

Hi! I'm fast_fire57 and I just joined today and made my first video game (nyan cat =3). It would be great if you guys could go and check it out! BTW can anyone add me as a friend? Thanks!

Board footer