This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-16 12:00:50

Illimitable
New Scratcher

mouse use and beginner Touch type training

ive only just started with scratch thinking to find and learn how to build educational material for my daughter...

she's currently capable of mouse interaction (her realizing the icon moves with her, as simple as it is learning to point at the desired youtube video, was awesome) and i want to encourage this process with the keyboard.

well..  i have done a few searches and the few hits are incomprehensible. this may well be because of my unfamiliarity with scratch's capabilities. it seems i can find many different aspects of what i want but am unable to easily merge different projects into one.

this is not only an idea put out in the hope someone can point me towards similar projects or make it yourselves for us, both of which would be sweet, but to ask if there are ways of dissecting an existing project for the required code and pasting it into another without the need to note it down elsewhere and rebuild it from the notes.

for example, using the dragging method project i found and infusing it with various sprites and code from multiple firework projects to enable my girl to pick up a firework from a box and 'throw' it with the mouse. on release it spirals off along the release vector and explodes.
perhaps not the most safety conscious idea but i bet its fun. anyway.. i cant do it.
ive looked through shooters, archery, fireworks etc...  any more ideas?

Enjoy  big_smile

#2 2013-04-16 12:42:16

Illimitable
New Scratcher

Re: mouse use and beginner Touch type training

i cant edit my posts?
thats going to be very revealing

Illimitable wrote:

this is not only an idea put out in the hope someone can point me towards similar projects/sites or make it yourselves for us, both of which would be sweet, but to ask if there are ways of dissecting an existing project for the required code and/or sprites and pasting it/them into another without the need to note it down elsewhere and rebuild them from Scratch
  big_smile 

can we one day see the scripts before downloading in its entirety? eventually editing out the unnecessary beforehand?

#3 2013-04-16 12:55:09

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

In 2.0 we can.

Alt of Firedrake969.

#4 2013-04-16 15:50:46

Illimitable
New Scratcher

well, scratch 2 does look good,
i love the 3d environment i saw,
more so if we can cut and paste code
thats going to make reaching a finished product much quicker even if it means i'll miss out on the education spending hours jigsawing  it all together myself would give me.
but i cant do anything but look at it at the moment.

#5 2013-04-18 07:56:25

Illimitable
New Scratcher

you know, when i said incomprehensible, i meant to me.

i think scratch must currently be invaluable as a teaching tool and seeing all the imaginative work produced by 8yr olds is amazing! it is right that you're proud.

many of the community have an understanding of coding outside scratch and can therefore use it far more intricately. easily being able to see, and then manipulate, how these things are done in so many different ways is a key to learning that has been missing from coding for beginners who otherwise have little idea where to even begin. ie.. dads willing to learn in advance in order to encourage their kids when they are ready.

coming at code as an ignorant adult trying to learn, as entertaining as im sure it has been, seems a little more risky. knowledge of code is usually necessary before it can be learned let alone played with in any kind of 'safty'. maybe im just paranoid about changing important things i dont really understand again on my own computer just to find out what it does. is it right to think of scratch as an operating system for code?

and yet scratch begins to bypass these restrictions, it has safe accessibility and all for free. going through other's projects, particularly the more complicated os and game projects, is enlightening and i hope that when scratch2 is more widely available people of and from all skills contribute to the available remixable material.

i also hope that the avenue scratch creates into coding in general is greatly expanded upon rather than simply allow for vast numbers of unaware to stay unaware of the underlining activity while using it. i see people in the far future otherwise needing to be physicists of code....  all this stuff built with stuff built on stuff built with other stuff... unless they're all still consumers.
anyway.. reasoning for ideas rant over.
cheers.

#6 2013-04-18 16:04:05

CAA14
Scratcher

Illimitable wrote:

you know, when i said incomprehensible, i meant to me.

i think scratch must currently be invaluable as a teaching tool and seeing all the imaginative work produced by 8yr olds is amazing! it is right that you're proud.

many of the community have an understanding of coding outside scratch and can therefore use it far more intricately. easily being able to see, and then manipulate, how these things are done in so many different ways is a key to learning that has been missing from coding for beginners who otherwise have little idea where to even begin. ie.. dads willing to learn in advance in order to encourage their kids when they are ready.

coming at code as an ignorant adult trying to learn, as entertaining as im sure it has been, seems a little more risky. knowledge of code is usually necessary before it can be learned let alone played with in any kind of 'safty'. maybe im just paranoid about changing important things i dont really understand again on my own computer just to find out what it does. is it right to think of scratch as an operating system for code?

and yet scratch begins to bypass these restrictions, it has safe accessibility and all for free. going through other's projects, particularly the more complicated os and game projects, is enlightening and i hope that when scratch2 is more widely available people of and from all skills contribute to the available remixable material.

i also hope that the avenue scratch creates into coding in general is greatly expanded upon rather than simply allow for vast numbers of unaware to stay unaware of the underlining activity while using it. i see people in the far future otherwise needing to be physicists of code....  all this stuff built with stuff built on stuff built with other stuff... unless they're all still consumers.
anyway.. reasoning for ideas rant over.
cheers.

Hi, and welcome to scratch.  smile

Here's what i did:

- I watched about 8 of these tutorials.
- Then, i dived in and made this game. When i was stuck, i posted for help in the "Help with Scripts" thread.
- I would occasionally download someone else's project and learn how they did something.
- Now, i just think up ideas and go with them.  wink

Also, you were wanting ideas for using the mouse only, right? How hard?

Regards,

CAA14

#7 2013-04-19 20:31:54

Illimitable
New Scratcher

so,

ive been looking around for segments of code i'd like to steal and i find this
http://beta.scratch.mit.edu/studios/191655/projects/

wow.

i read up, examine the comments written next to the code inside the project and start to play.

after changing the randomized star's box size around the 0,0,0 point to a million and the forward speed to 99 so i can zip around faster (and after a few hours of fruitlessly trying to  find out which part of the code stops the stars from appearing right in front of me whenever i did find one) i try something more complicated.
  i managed to get a sprite of the earth into a fixed position in the space just like each star, and for it to change its size according to distance from the camera, again like each star. i even managed to make it hide when off screen after a fair amount of play instead of  sticking wherever its centre point touched the edge. then a simple 'when sprite clicked change costume' and ive an interactive planet in space,  awesome. i cant save it so i screenshot my sprites code and cry a little.

but back to my point..

if scratch makes making complicated games so easy (once someone builds a framework) why do games take so long to make?
i played a game called battlestar galactica for sometime and it looks little more than what mrlog has given us...
if anyone is wanting ideas for that style of game there are plenty ive gathered together here in the idea section of their forums

http://en.board.bigpoint.com/bsgo/showthread.php?t=377074

im sure the vast majority of these ideas rely on more than what scratch can currently do but from what i see of 2.0 its not far behind and hell, bigpoint are doing bugger all with them  big_smile

#8 2013-04-19 21:09:48

Hyperbola
Scratcher

Illimitable wrote:

if scratch makes making complicated games so easy (once someone builds a framework) why do games take so long to make?

Well, it makes simple programs like hello world, for loop, and things like 99 bottles of beer, a bit more complicated (I need a list just to print text?!), it makes relatively complicated things easier, like an object following the mouse or a really simple painter, and it makes very complicated games very hard (Arrays?! Slowness?! Lag?! For loops with unneeded blocks?!?).

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#9 2013-04-29 21:11:02

Illimitable
New Scratcher

so, i got this game i made... check me out

big_smile

Board footer