This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2013-04-18 04:31:30

shadowmouse
New Scratcher

Re: Mod development recruiting now!

GLITCH ALERT! When opening a file (as in double clicking on it, not file > open) it opens GLOOP but on the default project with the GLOOP mouse not the file that was opened. Machinespray says that this is because .gloop is not a real file extension. Any idea how to solve this?

#77 2013-04-18 06:09:15

nathanprocks
Scratcher

shadowmouse wrote:

GLITCH ALERT! When opening a file (as in double clicking on it, not file > open) it opens GLOOP but on the default project with the GLOOP mouse not the file that was opened. Machinespray says that this is because .gloop is not a real file extension. Any idea how to solve this?

It's not that .gloop isn't a real file extension. It is because when you tell Windows to open a .gloop file, lets say "C:\project.gloop", it tries to run "GLOOP.exe C:\project.gloop". GLOOP.exe is a Squeak VM, and the VM thinks that C:\project.gloop is a Squeak image. The VM checks if C:\project.gloop exists and that it is a Squeak image and if not, it will open GLOOP.image in the same folder as the VM. To open the project in GLOOP, you must tell Windows to run "GLOOP.exe GLOOP.image C:\project.gloop". I think what the Scratch installer does is sets a registry key so that .sb files open with Scratch by running "Scratch.exe Scratch.image [project]". I hope this makes sense.

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&display=small

#78 2013-04-18 09:40:57

shadowmouse
New Scratcher

nathanprocks wrote:

shadowmouse wrote:

O.K. final two things, I'm on exam half-term at school so I'll have literaly no time.
1) Do we need an installer and if so how?
2)How do we make a compiler for GLOOP/edit an existing one?

For Windows computers, we could use iexpress.exe, which is hidden in Windows computers. I think NSIS would be a better idea though. It also isn't really a "compiler". It packs all the required files into an executable file that runs the program inside the package.
1. The package must contain the Squeak VM (GLOOP.exe), GLOOP.image, the GLOOP project, and any other files required by the mod. In this case, we would have to pack any compilers/interpreters for other programming languages that your mod needs. We can't pack Visual Basic. We should be able to pack a C/C++ compiler such as GCC. If can pack Python, the packed .exe file would be a big. I think that Python should be installed manually by the user, so that he/she does not fill their hard disk with GLOOP files.
2. The mod should exit when the exit presentation mode button is clicked. We should be able to do this so that we don't need two separate .image files. I think that GLOOP's presentation mode should not be in full-screen and it should fill the window.
3. The packed .exe file should run something like "GLOOP.exe GLOOP.image project-file.gloop presentation". (I can't remember if that's how to do it or not)

For Mac, I could find a way to do that, but I haven't got time to do that right now.

For the installer: We can make a GLOOP installer for Windows using NSIS. Most Mac apps that are not from the App Store are downloaded as a disk image (.dmg) that is mounted by opening the file. The disk image contains the app and a shortcut to the Applications folder (/Applications). The app is simply installed by dragging the app on to the Applications shortcut. Most disk images have a background image telling the user to drag the app into Applications. Unsigned Mac apps must be run by control-clicking (right-clicking) the .app and clicking Open, unless the user has changed their security settings or are using a version of Mac lower than 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

I should be able to download NSIS soon, though I have no idea how to use it.

#79 2013-04-18 09:49:59

nathanprocks
Scratcher

shadowmouse wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

shadowmouse wrote:

O.K. final two things, I'm on exam half-term at school so I'll have literaly no time.
1) Do we need an installer and if so how?
2)How do we make a compiler for GLOOP/edit an existing one?

For Windows computers, we could use iexpress.exe, which is hidden in Windows computers. I think NSIS would be a better idea though. It also isn't really a "compiler". It packs all the required files into an executable file that runs the program inside the package.
1. The package must contain the Squeak VM (GLOOP.exe), GLOOP.image, the GLOOP project, and any other files required by the mod. In this case, we would have to pack any compilers/interpreters for other programming languages that your mod needs. We can't pack Visual Basic. We should be able to pack a C/C++ compiler such as GCC. If can pack Python, the packed .exe file would be a big. I think that Python should be installed manually by the user, so that he/she does not fill their hard disk with GLOOP files.
2. The mod should exit when the exit presentation mode button is clicked. We should be able to do this so that we don't need two separate .image files. I think that GLOOP's presentation mode should not be in full-screen and it should fill the window.
3. The packed .exe file should run something like "GLOOP.exe GLOOP.image project-file.gloop presentation". (I can't remember if that's how to do it or not)

For Mac, I could find a way to do that, but I haven't got time to do that right now.

For the installer: We can make a GLOOP installer for Windows using NSIS. Most Mac apps that are not from the App Store are downloaded as a disk image (.dmg) that is mounted by opening the file. The disk image contains the app and a shortcut to the Applications folder (/Applications). The app is simply installed by dragging the app on to the Applications shortcut. Most disk images have a background image telling the user to drag the app into Applications. Unsigned Mac apps must be run by control-clicking (right-clicking) the .app and clicking Open, unless the user has changed their security settings or are using a version of Mac lower than 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

I should be able to download NSIS soon, though I have no idea how to use it.

I have never actually used either. All I know is that it stands for Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, and that it is a scripting language used to make installers. You can use NSIS to make the GLOOP installer as well as pack projects into .exes. I have before seen a Scratch to .exe thing that uses NSIS, but I don't remember what it is called.

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&display=small

Board footer