This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-17 07:12:08

kimlot
Scratcher

Why am I getting this windows security alert?

A strange warning is popping up when I open the project Dodging Squares in Scratch on my laptop. It says Windows Firewall has blocked scratch from accepting connections from the internet or a network.

Also in scratch itself a window pops up saying Remote Sensor connections enabled. There is a Ok button.

It may be a coincidence but this warning only seems to pop up for the above project I saw it yesterday as well but just put it down to windows xp behaving erratically but it doesn't seem to be that.

This warning does not pop up for any other projects that I have downloaded from Scratch website. Anyone else had a similar experience? Could  this project be malaware?

#2 2013-04-17 15:10:39

MrFlash67
Scratcher

Re: Why am I getting this windows security alert?

Some people activate a 'hidden' feature that lets them connect with other stuff. It is very likely that the creator of that project enabled the connections. Ignore the dialogue, Scratch is perfectly fine. Seeing as Scratch cannot connect with files or the Internet, Scratch cannot be used to create malware.

Last edited by MrFlash67 (2013-04-17 15:11:54)

Who would win, SOPA or PIPA?

#3 2013-04-17 16:26:17

Hyperbola
Scratcher

Re: Why am I getting this windows security alert?

MrFlash67 wrote:

Some people activate a 'hidden' feature that lets them connect with other stuff. It is very likely that the creator of that project enabled the connections. Ignore the dialogue, Scratch is perfectly fine. Seeing as Scratch cannot connect with files or the Internet, Scratch cannot be used to create malware.

It actually can, but it's not easy. (Well, not exactly the internet, but other computers).

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

Board footer