This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-11 00:11:47

artineer
New Scratcher

why is it start automatically?

Can anyone advise why the program start automatically, without have to click on the green flag? I want the program to start only after the green flag is clicked.

#2 2013-04-11 03:04:40

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Re: why is it start automatically?

Hi artineer,

All programs uploaded to the website start up automatically online, that's just the way it's set up. There's no way to make the startup manual.

We are changing it for Scratch 2.0, where the project starts only when the green flag is clicked. But if you really want to have a project startup manually right now, one pseudo-workaround would be to use a broadcast hat block in lieu of the "When Green Flag clicked" hat block (though you'd need to script a button that would broadcast the message when clicked).

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#3 2013-04-11 03:28:36

veggieman001
Scratcher

you could also try making a variable called something like "after first"
and then be like

when gf clicked
if <not <(after first) = [true]>>
set [after first v] to [true]
stop all
end
the rest of the script
that way, the first time the project runs (when it's loaded), it will stop immediately but the next time and all following times, it will play (because the variable will be true)

i haven't tested this though so it might not work fo' sho'

#4 2013-04-11 21:12:31

artineer
New Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Hi artineer,

All programs uploaded to the website start up automatically online, that's just the way it's set up. There's no way to make the startup manual.

We are changing it for Scratch 2.0, where the project starts only when the green flag is clicked. But if you really want to have a project startup manually right now, one pseudo-workaround would be to use a broadcast hat block in lieu of the "When Green Flag clicked" hat block (though you'd need to script a button that would broadcast the message when clicked).

thanks for the reply. when you say in lieu of, do you mean to delete when and replace it with a broadcast? this won't work when green flag is clicked.

#5 2013-04-12 17:42:32

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

artineer wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Hi artineer,

thanks for the reply. when you say in lieu of, do you mean to delete when and replace it with a broadcast? this won't work when green flag is clicked.

Hi artineer,

I mean that you create a button sprite that works in place of the green flag. Instead of using the block

When gf clicked
you might want to start off scripts using a custom broadcast message. Let's assume you want scripts to start only when they receive a message called "start project". To do that, you could create a button sprite with the script
When [Button] clicked
broadcast [start project]
And then top of the necessary scripts with
When I receive [start project]
instead of the "When green flag clicked" block.

Last edited by cheddargirl (2013-04-12 17:44:38)

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

Board footer