This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-28 03:27:37

tenzinkendrick
Scratcher

Zombie Survival RPG

I realised that, on most scratch Z-games, all you have to do is shoot zombies. I plan to remedy that, with a game that has the following features being prepared for it:

Variables for hunger and thirst
Twenty or so weapons in total
Every wall and door can be destroyed, by both you and zombies
A 'bottle system' which allows you to carry up to three bottles with you at any one time
Designed to be easy to edit, so anyone can add more weapons, locations, and classes to the game
Speak to other survivors, who may even offer to follow you into combat if your persuasion skill is high enough. But be warned, they too need to eat and drink
Take quests form other survivors, anything from finding them a particular object to clearing a building of zombies
Attack other survivors, either for their weapons, supplies or equipment
A huge map to explore
Zombies who do not move over walls like in other Z-games, but break them down first before moving past
A storyline spanning three months in Blood River City
Four types of zombie to kill, plus five bosses to be found in various areas
Store your hard-earned loot wherever you want to
Become a zombie when infected, if you do not cure yourself
Ten different classes to choose from, including soldier, hunter and mafia
The game revolves around your choices. Kill that survivor? You will be hounded by his allies, and they will spread the word.
With the right tools, you can build up around a defendable location.
Gather up to twenty survivors in a camp, and have up to two of them following you.

This game will operate under a new engine I am designing, the Frostfire Engine, designed so that you can affect the game to a far larger degree than in other z-games. I am aiming to make it for as little lag as possible with perhaps five hundred sprites.

Normally these sprites would cause a tremendous amount of lag, but I programmed their template to only be active while it is on the screen. The original script I was going to use was
When I receive 'Change Location'
Wait 0.05 seconds
If 'Location' = 'OwnLocation'
Repeat until not 'Location' = 'OwnLocation'
Show
Then, after the Repeat Until, I added Hide at the end.

In each part of the game, you can destroy every wall, salvage every piece of it's material, and rebuild it somewhere else to fortify your own defences. The main strategy is to build up a defence, at night stand guard outside it, and during daylight forage for food, recruit survivors, and find weapons.

Zombies never come out during the day, and always stay hidden. Those are the times to forage for food, water, and weapons. Daylight, and night, only last three minutes each, though. You need  to insure that you can find the food, recruit the survivors, and return in time.

Survivors following you can be ordered to station themselves somewhere, allowing you to use stealth. Most types of zombies fear fire, and thus the main method you can use to beat them back. The only problem with this, though, is that wood is hard to find, and thus this sort of protection will not last. The area you start in has enough wood to last three nights, and by then you should have found an area you can defend. Wood can also be gained by destroying wooden objects.

The types of zombies will be:

Revived. These are the basic zombies, weakest of them all, though not slowest.

Revitalised. Such zombies have some of their vital signals returned to them, such as a beating heart, which allows them to match pace with humans. They are more intelligent than others, and a few can use weapons.

Ghouls. These zombies are genetically enhanced for agility and speed, able to hide from any survivor until they come to the range when firearms are ineffective.

Tanks. These are the slowest of them all, yet have a ton of health compared to any other type. They are the most durable, and often come with large groups of Revived behind them.

I have built the basic engine, and have started work on the game.

#2 2013-03-28 16:49:00

Maltese_Falcon
Scratcher

Re: Zombie Survival RPG

Wow! Sounds awesome! That would take me years to make! Best of luck to ya!

#3 2013-03-29 17:36:11

nerdyone12
New Scratcher

'Thats really cool! Great concept.

#4 2013-04-12 06:43:43

NamorTheFirst
New Scratcher

Sounds amazing. When it is finished, I would like to download it to see how it works.

#5 2013-04-12 09:50:35

cobraguy
Scratcher

Sounds like an epic game! Can't wait for it!

Fruit Fighter, when your food eats you.
http://i.imgur.com/8CR6Lnj.png?1

Board footer