This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-10 02:57:34

BarryBurk
New Scratcher

Project not searchable

Hi,
I'm a newbie on scratch, so there may be a very obvious answer to my question. Anyway, here it is:
When I upload projects to the scratch website, they are not searchable, and they do not appear on the "new projects" list. However, if I go directly to my user's page (http://scratch.mit.edu/users/BarryBurk), I'm able to see the projects I've uploaded. Even if I'm not logged in.
Is there anything I've overseen in how to upload/publish projects?

Thanks!

#2 2013-04-10 05:31:05

LS97
Scratcher

Re: Project not searchable

Until Scratch 2.0 is released, the search uses Google Custom Search, which means all of the search entries depend on when Google updates their list of web sites and pages.

The new project list is different. On the very front page, only few of the uploaded projects are shown because they are chosen randomly from the past 20 or so uploads, and Scratchers upload projects onto Scratch with such frequency that the actual new projects list might miss you out completely.

#3 2013-04-10 06:09:09

BarryBurk
New Scratcher

Thanks LS97! Will be waiting for Google then :-)

#4 2013-04-10 07:18:19

BarryBurk
New Scratcher

Came to think of one more thing... If a project isn't added to the "new projects" list, and since there are no "all projects" list, how do other scratchers get to know about your new, unrated, project? Is it only by searching? In that case, I guess adding good keywords is quite essential...?

#5 2013-04-10 09:56:09

LS97
Scratcher

BarryBurk wrote:

Came to think of one more thing... If a project isn't added to the "new projects" list, and since there are no "all projects" list, how do other scratchers get to know about your new, unrated, project? Is it only by searching? In that case, I guess adding good keywords is quite essential...?

That's a very good question, and one that has actually come up in more than several discussions on the forums. Searching does play a decent part in it, which is why I always try to give good keywords. You can also try out the Show and Tell section of the forums... I'm not a big fan of it but I have to say it helped with one of my projects.
Then there's always the circle of views (as I like to call it) which is when Scratchers like one of your projects and start following you ("friending"). That means that they'll be seeing all of your activity on the site for as long as they follow you. Finally, if enough people love your project to get it on the front page (rare but happens, I got a few on it) you will get hundreds of views.

In general, remember that you always start off small, and if you make quality stuff the chances are that you will be recognised for what you make.

Board footer