This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-03-14 23:00:05

kayybee
Scratcher

Re: When is a remix not a remix?

joshuaho wrote:

berberberber wrote:

I'm pretty sure this problem is resolved, considering you're the only one posting here anymore.

Me?

Yes.

#27 2013-03-15 00:05:00

joshuaho
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

berberberber wrote:

I'm pretty sure this problem is resolved, considering you're the only one posting here anymore.

Me?

Yes.

Then if it is resolved, I recommend closing it, but it is up to the creator of this topic.

Did you know that you can go to space and see Mars by clicking here?

#28 2013-03-19 21:16:44

Etellex
Scratcher

I think the ST has a program to test if any scripts were moved or altered, and if that's the case, yes, it was a copy and the person who copied it is a bad scratcher, here's what probably happened:

They download your original work

They change one pixel on one sprite

The ST runs program

The program says it's a "remix"

You don't get the credit you deserve.

I must say this is not certain, but the ST would be smart to do this, and considering their programming skills, they probably did.

Simplicity.

#29 2013-03-19 21:22:10

Hyperbola
Scratcher

Etellex wrote:

I think the ST has a program to test if any scripts were moved or altered, and if that's the case, yes, it was a copy and the person who copied it is a bad scratcher, here's what probably happened:

The ST runs program

I must say this is not certain, but the ST would be smart to do this, and considering their programming skills, they probably did.

cheddargirl wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

jvvg wrote:

That's a whole different story. That is an actual uncredited copy, which you should flag (and the ST will remove). However, if the "Based on" link is there, then it's acceptable to use someone else's project and make as few changes as you want.

But a little amount of change is not ok too. That is said in the wiki.
http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Project_Copying

It depends on the change itself, and that is up for the ST to decided if the change is significant, not up to the flagger.

Sometimes, the change might be so small that it would be hard to tell just at a glance. But that's why the ST has a Remix Comparer tool that tell us what part of the project got changed, including sprites, code, music, and costumes. Exact copies show up with zero changes, project with edits in them will show what blocks got added and/or removed, what costume or music got changed, and any sprites that were added and/or removed. I'm quite surprised you haven't used it before flagging the project as a copy, it's mentioned on the Scratch wiki link you mentioned earlier.

It also shows how much is changed, but I'm not sure if it can detect things like pixel changes or simple script reorderings.

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#30 2013-03-20 23:02:34

joshuaho
Scratcher

Hyperbola wrote:

Etellex wrote:

The ST runs program

cheddargirl wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

It depends on the change itself, and that is up for the ST to decided if the change is significant, not up to the flagger.

Sometimes, the change might be so small that it would be hard to tell just at a glance. But that's why the ST has a Remix Comparer tool that tell us what part of the project got changed, including sprites, code, music, and costumes. Exact copies show up with zero changes, project with edits in them will show what blocks got added and/or removed, what costume or music got changed, and any sprites that were added and/or removed. I'm quite surprised you haven't used it before flagging the project as a copy, it's mentioned on the Scratch wiki link you mentioned earlier.

It also shows how much is changed, but I'm not sure if it can detect things like pixel changes or simple script reorderings.

Ok.

#31 2013-03-20 23:02:40

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Hyperbola wrote:

Etellex wrote:

The ST runs program

cheddargirl wrote:

joshuaho wrote:

Actually, it can.

The remix comparer tool shows if there was a costume edit. It also tells what blocks got added and what blocks got removed in a script.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#32 2013-03-20 23:03:40

joshuaho
Scratcher

Etellex wrote:

The ST runs program

There is a program called the Remix Comparer tool

Last edited by joshuaho (2013-03-20 23:03:57)

#33 2013-04-04 15:28:05

qwerts9000
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Hyperbola wrote:

Etellex wrote:

The ST runs program

cheddargirl wrote:

Actually, it can.

The remix comparer tool shows if there was a costume edit. It also tells what blocks got added and what blocks got removed in a script.

I saw the remix. I flagged it and I got the same message.

He copied alot of projects and one of them got front-paged. HOW DOES HE GET AWAY WITH THIS????????????????

#34 2013-04-04 23:28:29

joshuaho
Scratcher

qwerts9000 wrote:

I saw the remix. I flagged it and I got the same message.

He copied alot of projects and one of them got front-paged. HOW DOES HE GET AWAY WITH THIS????????????????

Did you get this?

Hi -----, we took a look at the project you flagged as a copy but found some script changes made, which would qualify the project as a remix and not as a copy. We encourage remixing in the Scratch community, since we have seen how remixing can lead to creative, interesting projects. The website includes a "Based on..." link to give credit to the original author -- and we hope that remixers will also give credit in their Project Notes. Overall, we want the Scratch community to be full of creative activity and exciting projects, and remixing helps with that.

If yes, then there is a change in the remixed version. It may be very small, but a small change is a change.

As Chedargirl wrote:

Sometimes, the change might be so small that it would be hard to tell just at a glance. But that's why the ST has a Remix Comparer tool that tell us what part of the project got changed, including sprites, code, music, and costumes. Exact copies show up with zero changes, project with edits in them will show what blocks got added and/or removed, what costume or music got changed, and any sprites that were added and/or removed.

Lets say that you have a project with 5 sprites and 17 scripts. If your project is remixed and you see that it has 5 sprites and 17 scripts, then it is a copy. But if it is 5 sprites and 16 scripts, it is not a copy. It looks like one, but a removal of a script is also a change. A small change is a change.
I hope this explanation helped.  smile

#35 2013-04-08 20:58:54

joshuaho
Scratcher

berberberber wrote:

Actually, no, I'm not the only one posting here.

Board footer