This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2013-04-04 12:19:49

backspace_
Scratcher

Re: Probehæd - The New Scratch Band

Oh boy, this band will be almost as good as QP.

Your tiny hands
Your crazy kitten smile

#27 2013-04-04 15:15:00

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

Actually, I was wondering how we're going to relay things back and forth.

By the way, do you have Steam?

Lead Developer for Scratch Adventure

#28 2013-04-04 15:31:54

All4one
Scratcher

ElectricSparx wrote:

I'm a bit confused about your query.  tongue
And also, I don't have Steam sadly, but it's something I wouldn't mind looking into.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/sWujIsJ_zpsf6e772b4.jpg
Sig by AwesomeStar360

#29 2013-04-04 16:09:17

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

ElectricSparx wrote:

I'm a bit confused about your query.  tongue
And also, I don't have Steam sadly, but it's something I wouldn't mind looking into.

Basically, how are we going to get parts of the song to each other?

And yeah, you should get Steam, if just for the benefit of being able to know when I'm online.

#30 2013-04-04 17:15:02

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Hi, I've never been on a scratch band before, and I've no idea what you do or how it works, but anyway,
I play CLASSICAL guitar, so I do clever 'poncy spaniard' stuff (as my friends call it).
I also play alto sax (have fun transposing that if you ever want it-it's in Eb.)
I just happen to also have a weird little synthesizer just lying around that I use quite a bit.
I often record myself and arrange my own songs using audacity and a surprisingly good sound recorder in my phone. Surprised? I was. I also use patternmusic a lot (free from the app store, If you like composing, look it up) and other things that I have lying around to make coolish music. I often sound like I brought back the middle ages after introducing a knight of the round table to frankie goes to Hollywood.

You may have got by now-I have weird tastes. Nothing I've ever written has turned out anything like how imagined or wrote it (prepare yourself for surprises) and if you want me to join, YouTube
the bravery-the dandy 
garbage-I'm only happy when it rains
and dr feelgood- route 66.

If you can sit through that music, you can probably cope with me.
Some warnings-I've never been in a scratch band before, so I've no idea how you do everything
sometimes I take ages on something (up to a month)
others, I can do a piece of music in an afternoon.

I don't have soundcloud, but I do have sibellius.
If you don't know what those are, look them up. 

Can I join please? I might not be very useful, but I'm willingto try and join in  smile

#31 2013-04-04 17:18:41

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Reading through posts- you'd be surprised how useful accordion is.
www.soundcloud.com/Oran-Johnson-14

#32 2013-04-04 17:24:21

pinnipediator
Scratcher

And souncloud is generally easier and more convenient than steam. Sharing through scratch projects is easiest though. We(well,you) are a band on scratch after all. And sorry if I have just jumped in and started mucking around with stuff.
And my synthesizer keyboard may be needed- it is very old, so all the built in samples aren't very realistic. It can use them very well for very odd (not particulary useful, but sometimes very cool)noises.
And sorry, I do just reel off loads of posts in one go sometimes because I can't be bothered to edit. It's not spamming. I tend to try to only say useful stuff.

#33 2013-04-04 20:03:13

All4one
Scratcher

@pinnipediator - I'm extremely impressed with your musical passion and unabashed confidence, and think you are definitely the right piece to fill in the musical puzzle I'm creating, no matter your experience with Scratch bands. I'll sign you up on the roster for classical guitar and miscellaneous instruments. I also believe that you will be a great songwriter for the band as well. Welcome to the band!

@ElectricSparx - Well, this is the basic of a Scratch band, or most virtual bands, really, comes into play. What we do is we get the band members to play their respective parts separately, and the mixing engineer (you, in this case  tongue ) would be in charge of taking these separate part and putting them together in one cohesive mix.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/sWujIsJ_zpsf6e772b4.jpg
Sig by AwesomeStar360

#34 2013-04-04 20:24:52

All4one
Scratcher

Also, now that pinni's filled up the classical/acoustic guitar spot, I think jji would, if he still wishes to sign up, have to go with bass guitar. That is unless, of course, he's recently gotten an electric guitar, in which case he could sign up for that. C:

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#35 2013-04-04 23:38:39

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

Yes, but how am I going to get the parts?

#36 2013-04-05 02:54:42

All4one
Scratcher

Once one of us has a satisfactory take of their playing, they'll send it to you. There's various ways of obtaining the recording - one is for the member to put it on a Scratch project and you'd just export the file, or the member could similarly upload it to Soundcloud for you to obtain.

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#37 2013-04-05 04:22:16

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

Whichever is easiest, I can do.

#38 2013-04-05 04:24:30

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Songwriter. Cool.
Patternmusic has loads of weird instruments. I always create bases for my songs using that, whether I use the patternbases or not.
Patternmusic has a brilliant drumkit built in. If you don't have a drummer, we can use that. If anyone here has an ios device like an iPod, iPhone, or ipad, get patternmusic! If you like writing music, you will love it! I'm not an advertiser. It can be a bit of a hate it or love it app.
Anyway.
When shall we get started and what with? You don't need all of the instruments straight away. We can go fine with what we've got until more come along.
What genres do we play? I've never written anything for or in a definite genre or style before, so If we're doing a definite 'this this and only this' I'm not much help  smile

#39 2013-04-05 04:26:54

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Wait up, not acoustic. This may sound stupid but I don't know any chords! I do the poncy spaniard stuff. With a footstool etc. Not strumming on the beach. Right handed guitarist using their right knee really winds me up  smile

#40 2013-04-05 12:22:12

All4one
Scratcher

All right, in that case just classical guitar then.  smile

We're gonna start working on music as soon as we got madbunnygal's audition. Then, we can decide whether or not she would be a good drummer for the band. Even, if we don't have all members at that point, we can still mimick the sounds. For example, if we don't have drums we can use PatternMusic, if we don't have bass, my keyboard has a pretty realistic sound for that, and if we don't have a main guitarist, I can just handle those duties.

As far as genre, I'm planning to be an alternative/indie group that has a bit of experiment and outside-the-box tendencies to it. I wouldn't mind experimenting with varying genres as well, though, for example adding psychedelic and electronica elements to the music (easily done with my synth), and maybe exploring some jaded genres such as blues, jazz, and even Johnny Cash-style country. But first and foremost, we're an alternative band.

While we wait for madbunnygal's audition tape, I suggest we come up with a name for our band. I had a couple in mind but maybe you guys got something better:

Sphinx
Caged Birds
Stereotypes
The Rubber Band

Those are mine, anyway. You guys have any suggestions?

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#41 2013-04-05 17:33:17

AwesomeStar360
Scratcher

Another scratch band!?!?!?!  big_smile  yay!
Im interested in playing, I only play piano and trombone now though.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/GsFxbl7_zpsf030d0b8.jpg

#42 2013-04-05 17:46:50

lundfamily3
Scratcher

I can sing and do art. Not to boast, but a lot of times when someone hears me sing for the first time they say i have a nice voice. I can also do art with Photoshop, so that might be helpful for you, less time needed to give yo your collab. XD

Shall I audition?

Last edited by lundfamily3 (2013-04-05 17:47:22)

http://i50.tinypic.com/zn102h.jpg

#43 2013-04-05 18:19:19

AwesomeStar360
Scratcher

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/AwesomeStar360/3238500

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/GsFxbl7_zpsf030d0b8.jpg

#44 2013-04-05 18:34:33

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

Band name suggestion:

Elite Breadstick

#45 2013-04-05 19:12:33

All4one
Scratcher

lundfamily3 wrote:

I can sing and do art. Not to boast, but a lot of times when someone hears me sing for the first time they say i have a nice voice. I can also do art with Photoshop, so that might be helpful for you, less time needed to give yo your collab. XD

Shall I audition?

Do you happen to play any instruments as well?

Also, it would be great to have you in supporting me with art design (as I am already an art designer). Y'know, it would be cool to have an art designer duo.  tongue  Can you send me an example of your artwork (preferrably one that would look good for an album/single cover). I want our art style to seem modernist and mildly psychedelic.

AwesomeStar360 wrote:

Another scratch band!?!?!?!  big_smile  yay!
Im interested in playing, I only play piano and trombone now though.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/AwesomeStar360/3238500

Nice little trombone audition.  big_smile  I think you're good - I especially think you have a good sense of rhythm and beat, so that could be useful. Like I said, in the future, I might want to experiment with unconventional instrumentation that drives outside o the usual rock formula, and real, genuine trombone playing would sound much better than the sound of one being mimicked on a keyboard. Yeah, once we make a song incorporating brass sections and/or string sections (we've had quite a few people signing up already for instruments falling in these categories), we'll notify you.  smile

It's great that you can play piano, as well, but I've already got that covered, so there's no need to worry about that.

Thanks for the audition, it'll be quite useful in the future! C:

ElectricSparx wrote:

Band name suggestion:

Elite Breadstick

tongue  Nice idea. I want to see what pinni has as far as name ideas, and I'll also set up a topic in the "Interests Beyond Scratch" section, where I'll take up a poll of band name suggestions from other Scratchers, and they can also say which one of ours they think is the best.

EDIT - There we go.

Last edited by All4one (2013-04-05 19:27:19)

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#46 2013-04-05 20:44:04

jji7skyline
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

I can play guitar and bass. You remember me from the walruses  smile

Of course.  smile 
And with that new guitar of yours coming along, it's all perfect timing.
I'll probably just stick with keyboards, now I think about it, and I can just leave acoustic guitar duties to you. Or you can do bass, which would be great, because bassists are pretty hard to find on Scratch.
Are you planning on taking both roles or just one of the two?

I can do both roles until a dedicated bassist comes along.

I can also do electric as well as acoustic.

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#47 2013-04-05 21:40:21

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

And if you don't mind alliteration:

Musical Mayhem/Magic (whichever you prefer)

#48 2013-04-05 23:00:57

AwesomeStar360
Scratcher

How about something like

Policy Past
Policy Concept
Policy Pity

Ive wanted to use a name like that for a band for awhile

#49 2013-04-05 23:47:09

All4one
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

All4one wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

I can play guitar and bass. You remember me from the walruses  smile

Of course.  smile 
And with that new guitar of yours coming along, it's all perfect timing.
I'll probably just stick with keyboards, now I think about it, and I can just leave acoustic guitar duties to you. Or you can do bass, which would be great, because bassists are pretty hard to find on Scratch.
Are you planning on taking both roles or just one of the two?

I can do both roles until a dedicated bassist comes along.

I can also do electric as well as acoustic.

Sounds great, I'll add you to the roster.  big_smile

ElectricSparx wrote:

And if you don't mind alliteration:

Musical Mayhem/Magic (whichever you prefer)

Hmm, Mayhem sounds like a good name. I'll look into that.  big_smile

AwesomeStar360 wrote:

How about something like

Policy Past
Policy Concept
Policy Pity

Ive wanted to use a name like that for a band for awhile

I quite like the name Policy Concept. I might use it for the title of an EP or maybe a song. Nice suggestions there.  smile

EDIT - It now looks like the only spot that needs to be filled up on the roster now is the drums, and when madbunnygal releases her audition (in a week, she says), we will most likely have a full line-up.  big_smile

Last edited by All4one (2013-04-05 23:54:37)

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#50 2013-04-06 00:08:35

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

This is coming along well!

Board footer