This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2013-04-03 22:46:21

zippynk
Scratcher

Re: Songs We're Making & Creating

veggieman001 wrote:

zippynk wrote:

veggieman001 wrote:

Removed to save space but it was the first post

Cool! So far I think my favorite songs from the compilation are Farewell My Friend, Ultrasound House, Anthemic, and Under the Trees, and underageb&.

On a seperate note, could you please add a link to the soundcloud or bandcamp page for With a Twist of Lemon? (I understand that the deadline was sunday, but I requested it in a post posted before then, link.)

i have added the link to your soundcloud, as i did agree to everything in your post

however, i hope you realise that cc attribution does not require a link

Thank you, for both the link and the clarification.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60598636/trifocal_interlude_soundcloud_button.png

#52 2013-04-03 23:13:21

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

01. "These Shades" // Sevy Dubs [777w]

This isn't music, this is art. n/a:10

02. "Under the Trees" // Zero Funk [MrMokey]

Really repetitive; gets boring. Chords are simple and melody is more so. 3:10

03. "underageb&" // eˣ [schnrfl]

Not repetitive. The choice of instrumentation only slightly detracted from the song. I liked it, but it could have been more complex. 5.5:10

04. "The Heartbeat of the Galaxy" // fire219

Repetitive; gets boring. At certain points, I expect the drums to pick up or something new to happen. Nothing new happens. 1.5:10

05. "With a Twist of Lemon" // Trifocal Interlude [zippynk]

Cheerful! Sometimes the sounds are grating + strident. I like the offbeat choked crashes  wink  Still rather simple, mood changes startle listener and it comes off as awkward. Still fairly enjoyable, so I'll give it a 4.5:10

06. "Failed Experiment" // vwam [Luigitailsdoll45]

The rhythm at the beginning makes me expect elaboration; when the change happens, it is so sudden that the listener reels for a second. Not very complex, not many instruments or patterns being played. 3:10

07. "Ace öf Errörs" // Playzööki [playzooki]

Are you sure this isn't a Motorhead song? Choice of instrumentation leaves something to be desired, would be better with guitars + the like. 4:10

08. "Orca" // RoBoX1o1

Sounds like the intro to a techno song. I wish the song would progress a little faster, instead of just adding in one instrument at a time. Certain instruments could be louder when they're in the "spotlight", so to speak. Intensity never changed, even while transitioning into the next part. More complexity in drumbeats or patterns. The complete stop before the drop is cool, but the intensity of the drop is not as high as I hoped. The sheer length of the song is impressive in itself. While somewhat repetitive, it doesn't drag away from the song too much. The instrument changes don't drag away from the song either, although a descant during the second refrain would spice it up a bit. The fade-out blends well with the rest of the song, and the entire song sort of signifies an orca leaping out of the water a-coupla-times before diving. (I might be looking too far into that.) 6.5:10

09. "h84c%^,r;" // scratchisthebest

Calming! I really think this is more of a soundscape than a song. I like it so far, it reminds me of the sea. Melody is too quiet, so the drums sound awkwardly loud at first. Still rather simple + repetitive, but it doesn't detract from the song (soundscape?) 5:10

10. "Farewell My Friend" // Evan Gambit [MoreGamesNow]

The mood at the beginning really does depict a sad farewell. The samples are pretty poor quality, and that's a shame. I really like this; it could be described as a "nice little tune." More complex than the other songs I've heard, not very repetitive, and a real treat to listen to! 8:10

11. "Flash" // FistofDeath [mythbusteranimator]

It starts off steady. Doesn't really go anywhere, and while I like the initial progression, it doesn't change quickly enough for me. I can tell you recorded it from noteflight. Not very simple, not really repetitive, and a fairly good listen. 6.5:10

12. "Blank Page" // Predictions of Yesterday [slinger]

Please stop making the strings sound when you change chords. The chords are nice enough. The subject matter of the song is kinda silly, doesn't detract from the song too much. I appreciate that you actually recorded. I wouldn't sing "la la la"s to fill space. I like the melody and chords, hmm yes. 5.5:10.

13. "Anthemic" // Quiet Please [veggieman001, backspace_, MrMokey]

Veggie's clearly been eating the spinach to sing this track. The mixing is adequate; there are only small errors. The lyrics are pretty good! They don't seem forced. Whoops, rhythm guitar got off for a second! It's too bad you couldn't all get together to record this; it would have fixed timing errors. Still, a good song. I'd listen to it again. 6.5:10

14. "More than one letter (like two letters)" // More than one letter (like three letters) [puppetadventurer]

see review #1.

15. "Is That Enough?" // Hymnus [backspace_]

Recording quality could be improved, but that's not really your fault... I like the progression, and while I can't hear what you're saying, I'm sure it's interesting. 5:10

16. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" // Skyline [jji7skyline]

It's a cover. Slight mixing errors, and if I'm correct, that's all you, so no excuse! Singing problems. I like the sound levels, except for the fact that the lead guitar is way too loud. I can hear the song in the background, ew ew ew. Still, 4.5:10.

17. "The Crownless" // Hardmath [Hardmath123]

You clearly have some piano prowess. A chord change would be nice. Okay, it does eventually...Not perfectly at tempo all the time, although that could be intentional. It's good, I like it, you're kicking butt when you jazz it up a little. Recording quality is not the best, although, again, not exactly your fault. Slight sync error between your hands there, but you fixed it almost immediately. All in all, a fairly mature-sounding piano solo. Congratulations. 6:10.

18. "Do I Have To?" // Sometimes the Cat [veggieman001]

I like the progression, I like the synchronization, it's such a you song, veggie. No matter how many times you self-deprecate, I still like it. >:') 6:10

19. "The Answer is No" // Drama Joint [transparent]

Funky! Can I just say I love all of your band names! I love your progression wow! The vocals fit the instruments too! I might cry over this song, and I'm totally going out of the professional tone I was using with the others'. 7:10

20. "Submarine" // whizzer0 [whizzer]

I like it, but will it blend? It seems kinda repetitive, but it has an otherworldly (or underwater?  wink ) vibe to it that endears it to me. :') 4:10

21. "(untitled)" // Gravitation

It's quiet. The progression is overused. Other than that, there are no problems with the song. It's simple, it's repetitive. 4.5:10

22. "Ultrasound House" // technoguyx

The progression does its job; it's not quite overused. I like the pattern you brought in with the synth, but I really think a brake drum does it justice better than your choice of instrument. The song doesn't really go anywhere. It's the same pattern over and over. Catchy, though! 5:10

23. "Solace" // SpicyChorizo [NeilWest]

The beat's okay, but can we have something add in now? I mean, I know it's 7:00+, but maybe that space could be filled with something more than two instruments, one of them being a pulsing drumbeat, and the other being a barely audible buzzing? It's changed now, but still rather quiet. I would like this section more without the popcorn synth every other beat, and it would do its job as a chilled-out track better without any really loud or strident noise and more focus on the midtones. 3.5:10

24. "pony cheese" // luiysia

see review #1.

Please note that I'm not going easy on you guys at all. I judged these from a harsh and critical standpoint that doesn't take your ages + musical experience into consideration. I strongly encourage all of you (except 777w, luiysia, + puppet) to keep making music (777w, luiysia, puppet, you keep making art.)
If you want more constructive criticism, feel free to ask. (I wrote these fast, using only the song length.)

http://i39.tinypic.com/259j2mu.png

#53 2013-04-04 04:12:28

NeilWest
Scratcher

And no 9s were given that day.

#54 2013-04-04 04:21:20

jji7skyline
Scratcher

The highest rating was 8/10, so just scale everything up proportionally, so that 8/10 = 10/10  smile

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#55 2013-04-04 04:35:19

veggieman001
Scratcher

Curving is cheating!

#56 2013-04-04 05:14:29

NeilWest
Scratcher

Let's make a Songs We're Remixing & Creating! Somehow. (I have dub mix of Solace)

#57 2013-04-04 05:58:59

jji7skyline
Scratcher

NeilWest wrote:

Let's make a Songs We're Remixing & Creating! Somehow. (I have dub mix of Solace)

You mean for the next one? I think the idea of having a theme for each future album is a good idea (though it's completely veggie's discretion whether or not he decides to or not).

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#58 2013-04-04 06:43:13

NeilWest
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

NeilWest wrote:

You mean for the next one? I think the idea of having a theme for each future album is a good idea (though it's completely veggie's discretion whether or not he decides to or not).

Nah, I was talking about remixing the tracks included (though it does sound like a good title).

#59 2013-04-04 09:37:52

veggieman001
Scratcher

i like the idea of themes as well but my main problem with it is that it leaves out people that dont follow the theme (plus with some things its really hard to show that youre within the limits of the theme)

#60 2013-04-04 10:55:17

NeilWest
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

i like the idea of themes as well but my main problem with it is that it leaves out people that dont follow the theme (plus with some things its really hard to show that youre within the limits of the theme)

Yeah, I mean it's gonna be impossible to do a beach-themed breakbeat song.

#61 2013-04-04 11:09:18

transparent
Scratcher

dontbombiraq wrote:

Funky! Can I just say I love all of your band names! I love your progression wow! The vocals fit the instruments too! I might cry over this song, and I'm totally going out of the professional tone I was using with the others'. 7:10

Hey thanks for the great review ;o
I'll take some constructive criticism, if you have any for me

yes, yes i do.

#62 2013-04-04 12:23:13

backspace_
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Curving is cheating!

I would feel much better with a 7/10 instead of a 5/10 though! :l

Your tiny hands
Your crazy kitten smile

#63 2013-04-04 12:35:19

transparent
Scratcher

;)

yes, yes i do.

#64 2013-04-04 12:40:48

transparent
Scratcher

I still really like the guitar in your song - it's really good
I can't really hear your vocals though

yes, yes i do.

#65 2013-04-04 13:01:29

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

Are you sure this isn't a Motorhead song? Choice of instrumentation leaves something to be desired, would be better with guitars + the like. 4:10

That's ace of SPADES.  wink   wink

It starts off steady. Doesn't really go anywhere, and while I like the initial progression, it doesn't change quickly enough for me. I can tell you recorded it from noteflight. Not very simple, not really repetitive, and a fairly good listen. 6.5:10

Thanks
It has lyrics actually
I don't remember adding the song to the list though ;0

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#66 2013-04-04 13:05:09

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

veggieman001 wrote:

Curving is cheating!

transparent wrote:

dontbombiraq wrote:

Hey thanks for the great review ;o
I'll take some constructive criticism, if you have any for me

Yeah, maybe I can do a better job this time around.
Okay first off! I thought the intro didn't take too long to get into the actual song. Your voice, while it does fit with the instruments, seems just a little too soft over the rest of the instruments. << Hopefully that's constructive? I mean you should be able to understand what you need to fix, right? >> I think you could spice up the chorus a little bit, maybe during the pauses between "The answer is NO!" and "I said NO!" Further, that voice-modification you did just on the "no"s clashes with the rest of the song.
I hope this was good for you!

#67 2013-04-04 13:07:21

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

mythbusteranimator wrote:

I know that >_> I was commenting on how his song sounded like Motorhead wrote it.

#68 2013-04-04 13:09:03

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

dontbombiraq wrote:

mythbusteranimator wrote:

I know that >_> I was commenting on how his song sounded like Motorhead wrote it.

I don't listen to Motorhead at all

I thought the title was just a coincidence

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#69 2013-04-04 14:32:03

zippynk
Scratcher

the other quoters didn't say who but anyway someone  wrote:

Playzooki said it was a windows error remix of motorhead.

Last edited by zippynk (2013-04-04 14:32:35)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60598636/trifocal_interlude_soundcloud_button.png

#70 2013-04-04 14:33:15

slinger
Scratcher

dontbombiraq wrote:

Please stop making the strings sound when you change chords. The chords are nice enough. The subject matter of the song is kinda silly, doesn't detract from the song too much. I appreciate that you actually recorded. I wouldn't sing "la la la"s to fill space. I like the melody and chords, hmm yes. 5.5:10.

Lol, what did you think was silly about it?  smile  I wrote it from my religious standpoint and realize that not everyone will agree with me :p
Thanks for reviewing! Does anyone have any tips for decreasing fret squeaks? :-)

http://s0.bcbits.com/img/buttons/bandcamp_130x27_blue.png

#71 2013-04-04 14:59:53

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

slinger wrote:

dontbombiraq wrote:

Lol, what did you think was silly about it?  smile  I wrote it from my religious standpoint and realize that not everyone will agree with me :p
Thanks for reviewing! Does anyone have any tips for decreasing fret squeaks? :-)

Oh haha! I didn't look at the lyrics at all when I was reviewing, so I didn't hear the one slight religious reference that was in there. I didn't mean to hate on your religion, especially since it's my religion as well, heh heh. The part that I really thought was silly was this one:

Uglified by marks, my page is dripping
It's dripping
The spouts of anger don't help
No, they don't sop it up

and I wouldn't know anything about fret noise, I don't play guitar!

#72 2013-04-04 15:06:19

Sellout
Scratcher

Uglified

I didn't listen to the song but I can only imagine this word sounding incredibly unnatural and awkward

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#73 2013-04-04 15:16:51

transparent
Scratcher

Sellout wrote:

Uglified

I didn't listen to the song but I can only imagine this word sounding incredibly unnatural and awkward

Yeah, that might be unnatural to say, but you're the one who can't say 'na' in a song ;o

yes, yes i do.

#74 2013-04-04 15:40:33

banana500
Scratcher

dontbombiraq wrote:

Not repetitive. The choice of instrumentation only slightly detracted from the song. I liked it, but it could have been more complex. 5.5:10

Repetitive; gets boring. At certain points, I expect the drums to pick up or something new to happen. Nothing new happens. 1.5:10

Cheerful! Sometimes the sounds are grating + strident. I like the offbeat choked crashes ;) Still rather simple, mood changes startle listener and it comes off as awkward. Still fairly enjoyable, so I'll give it a 4.5:10

The rhythm at the beginning makes me expect elaboration; when the change happens, it is so sudden that the listener reels for a second. Not very complex, not many instruments or patterns being played. 3:10

08. "Orca" // RoBoX1o1

Sounds like the intro to a techno song. I wish the song would progress a little faster, instead of just adding in one instrument at a time. Certain instruments could be louder when they're in the "spotlight", so to speak. Intensity never changed, even while transitioning into the next part. More complexity in drumbeats or patterns. The complete stop before the drop is cool, but the intensity of the drop is not as high as I hoped. The sheer length of the song is impressive in itself. While somewhat repetitive, it doesn't drag away from the song too much. The instrument changes don't drag away from the song either, although a descant during the second refrain would spice it up a bit. The fade-out blends well with the rest of the song, and the entire song sort of signifies an orca leaping out of the water a-coupla-times before diving. (I might be looking too far into that.) 6.5:10

Calming! I really think this is more of a soundscape than a song. I like it so far, it reminds me of the sea. Melody is too quiet, so the drums sound awkwardly loud at first. Still rather simple + repetitive, but it doesn't detract from the song (soundscape?) 5:10

The mood at the beginning really does depict a sad farewell. The samples are pretty poor quality, and that's a shame. I really like this; it could be described as a "nice little tune." More complex than the other songs I've heard, not very repetitive, and a real treat to listen to! 8:10

Veggie's clearly been eating the spinach to sing this track. The mixing is adequate; there are only small errors. The lyrics are pretty good! They don't seem forced. Whoops, rhythm guitar got off for a second! It's too bad you couldn't all get together to record this; it would have fixed timing errors. Still, a good song. I'd listen to it again. 6.5:10

14. "More than one letter (like two letters)" // More than one letter (like three letters) [puppetadventurer]

see review #1.

Recording quality could be improved, but that's not really your fault... I like the progression, and while I can't hear what you're saying, I'm sure it's interesting. 5:10

It's a cover. Slight mixing errors, and if I'm correct, that's all you, so no excuse! Singing problems. I like the sound levels, except for the fact that the lead guitar is way too loud. I can hear the song in the background, ew ew ew. Still, 4.5:10.

You clearly have some piano prowess. A chord change would be nice. Okay, it does eventually...Not perfectly at tempo all the time, although that could be intentional. It's good, I like it, you're kicking butt when you jazz it up a little. Recording quality is not the best, although, again, not exactly your fault. Slight sync error between your hands there, but you fixed it almost immediately. All in all, a fairly mature-sounding piano solo. Congratulations. 6:10.

I like the progression, I like the synchronization, it's such a you song, veggie. No matter how many times you self-deprecate, I still like it. >:') 6:10

I like it, but will it blend? It seems kinda repetitive, but it has an otherworldly (or underwater? ;)) vibe to it that endears it to me. :') 4:10

It's quiet. The progression is overused. Other than that, there are no problems with the song. It's simple, it's repetitive. 4.5:10

The progression does its job; it's not quite overused. I like the pattern you brought in with the synth, but I really think a brake drum does it justice better than your choice of instrument. The song doesn't really go anywhere. It's the same pattern over and over. Catchy, though! 5:10

The beat's okay, but can we have something add in now? I mean, I know it's 7:00+, but maybe that space could be filled with something more than two instruments, one of them being a pulsing drumbeat, and the other being a barely audible buzzing? It's changed now, but still rather quiet. I would like this section more without the popcorn synth every other beat, and it would do its job as a chilled-out track better without any really loud or strident noise and more focus on the midtones. 3.5:10

see review #1.

Please note that I'm not going easy on you guys at all. I judged these from a harsh and critical standpoint that doesn't take your ages + musical experience into consideration. I strongly encourage all of you (except 777w, luiysia, + puppet) to keep making music (777w, luiysia, puppet, you keep making art.)
If you want more constructive criticism, feel free to ask. (I wrote these fast, using only the song length.)

I applaud you, for making these criticisms, most people on this site just say "nice" or "great job" without really giving any critiques for the sake of their "feelings". You really showed an honest critical standpoint and I hail you for doing so. :)

http://i.imgur.com/jrCyB2r.gif
'Cause I'm NUMBER ONE.

#75 2013-04-04 15:43:19

dontbombiraq
Scratcher

banana500 wrote:

dontbombiraq wrote:

Cheerful! Sometimes the sounds are grating + strident. I like the offbeat choked crashes  wink  Still rather simple, mood changes startle listener and it comes off as awkward. Still fairly enjoyable, so I'll give it a 4.5:10

08. "Orca" // RoBoX1o1

see review #1.

I like it, but will it blend? It seems kinda repetitive, but it has an otherworldly (or underwater?  wink ) vibe to it that endears it to me. :') 4:10

see review #1.

I applaud you, for making these criticisms, most people on this site just say "nice" or "great job" without really giving any critiques for the sake of their "feelings". You really showed an honest critical standpoint and I hail you for doing so.  smile

:')

Board footer