This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2013-01-06 12:16:49

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Re: The Gaming Standards: Offering the most detailed reviews.

Willpower, Willpower, Willpower. I only read what's in the game and not the project notes. I merely take a suitable description to put at the top of the review. If you want the player to acknowledge these points, put it into an organised in-game warning screen. Then, you could have had a button with a question mark for each level as you were playing them! This would have allowed me to only read the parts I needed. If you want me to pretend I read the notes I can do, but that will make the game pace lower resulting in a lower game design mark.

I understand now what you're trying to do, to make the player get through everything before they get destroyed. However, I still don't feel it's as fun as say if it was closer to the TV show without being a copy. Maybe it's just not my type of game, but I still think that skill-based play is more enjoyable to a wider audience than a speed & luck based game. I'll redo the sound if you mention in-game how to activate them, and the difficulty balance if you mention it in game and anything else in game. I believe that notes should be organised into clear screens and the project notes are merely to entice people in. I don't mind the odd warning, but when the notes are as long as yours... oh my!

Anyway, good luck on your sequel! It'd probably be better just to improve the sequel then to add all of this information in-game.

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#52 2013-01-06 12:18:17

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

Willpower, Willpower, Willpower. I only read what's in the game and not the project notes. I merely take a suitable description to put at the top of the review. If you want the player to acknowledge these points, put it into an organised in-game warning screen. Then, you could have had a button with a question mark for each level as you were playing them! This would have allowed me to only read the parts I needed. If you want me to pretend I read the notes I can do, but that will make the game pace lower resulting in a lower game design mark.

I understand now what you're trying to do, to make the player get through everything before they get destroyed. However, I still don't feel it's as fun as say if it was closer to the TV show without being a copy. Maybe it's just not my type of game, but I still think that skill-based play is more enjoyable to a wider audience than a speed & luck based game. I'll redo the sound if you mention in-game how to activate them, and the difficulty balance if you mention it in game and anything else in game. I believe that notes should be organised into clear screens and the project notes are merely to entice people in. I don't mind the odd warning, but when the notes are as long as yours... oh my!

Anyway, good luck on your sequel! It'd probably be better just to improve the sequel then to add all of this information in-game.

Borrego, Borrego, Borrego.  Most instructions are in the description.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#53 2013-01-06 12:41:14

Willpower
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

Borrego, Borrego, Borrego.  Most instructions are in the description.

^^^ that. Project notes are there for a reason  big_smile

Sorry about the excessive comments, it made me feel like i wrote those project notes for no reason which made me a touch stressed. By sequel i meant the Ultimate Gauntlet being a sequel to The Gauntlet. Now i have got over the stress i will attempt to clean-up the project and make it work better.

By the way could you review this Hangman 0s1s v2.0 It was originally just my work but it seems to have turned into a bit of a collab between me and OrcaCat

Last edited by Willpower (2013-01-06 12:43:02)

http://i49.tinypic.com/e84kdj.png

#54 2013-01-06 13:14:23

Borrego6165
Scratcher

After I've finished Python tutorial 4, had my tea, and reviewed the other projects on the list! sorry!

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#55 2013-01-07 09:00:25

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Race Game

"This is a game that I made. Blah blah blah, lets skip to the cool stuff."

Game Design 8/10
The game is actually well thought out. You can select a difficulty track, race around it with another player, and even create your own tracks! There are no annoying animations or any loading screens that slow down the pacing of the game, instead you just race through the easy-to-use menus and hit the road! The car physics need to be more realistic though, where it slows down more gradually and you have to be moving at a certain speed to turn. This defiantly deserves an eight, and would have scored a ten if it were not for the physics, and the fact that it can also be pretty frustrating when you barely touch the grass and you get teleported to the start.

However, the track editor is very basic, to the point where I can literally only place the road and not place any scenery or obstacles. Also, being limited to a screen instead of a large scrolling world also means that you can't experience full speed around the track, because by the time you have reached a good speed you have nearly hit the other side of the screen. Also, instead of being teleported to the start of the track you should lose points for every second you touch the grass. There could even be sand pits around the corners and small grey borders around the roads to make it less likely that you'll fall off, as I found that even on the easiest map I couldn't stay on. Nevertheless, none of these will affect your score because these ideas in this paragraph are merely suggestions, and not necessities.

Originality 6/10
I've seen a lot of racing games on Scratch, however, not many allow you to build a custom track or have so many different tracks to choose from. If there had been some crazy moving obstacles, and perhaps some power ups, this may have scored higher. What does make this unique though are the number of difficulty levels, and the fact that there are a few missions to play. Or you can cruise around the tracks for as long as you want. If this had a car editor, then this would have scored higher though. For what you've done, you get a six because it is quite different from other racers, but not enough to stand out.

Ease Of Use 4/5
Because of the strange physics, the controls were forcibly easy. On most racing games, I'm struggling to keep control of the car. With this game, I can do a 360 degree turn in one spot! I'd of rather of had a realistic car than a car that is too easy to control, because it takes the fun out of it. You don't lose any points for this though, you do lose a point because some of the text appears in the wrong place on the menu making it hard to read, which is not easy to use. Still, you included an in-game tutorial and made it clear what to do! It might have been good if you left a warning somewhere about the track editor though. I'm guessing that you have to build it a certain way for it to work, otherwise the cars are impossible to move! They become stuck, and unresponsive. I'll leave this for the glitches score, seen as this also occurs on some pre-made tracks.

Difficulty Balance 4/5
Because of the controls, this game was too easy. However, because of the fact that you'd be teleported to the start as soon as you'd touch the grass, and because you could choose from many difficulty maps, you still deserve a high mark. However, it was hard because I kept hitting the sides on the easy levels, but that doesn't count towards a good mark because it's meant to be easy. Also, I looked at the order and I noticed that one of the medium levels should have swapped places with one of the easy levels, as the second easy level (the red one) looked more like a medium or a difficult one.

Graphics 3/5
I'm impressed that the graphics were done by you, and that they were not just sticks and circles, they had a lot of colour and there was a variety of locations, rather than just tracks on grass. Nevertheless, they could have been a lot neater. Try making graphics in MS Paint instead of the Scratch editor, and start by making three bendy lines. The left one should be dark brown, the middle should be slightly lighter and the right line should be a slightly lighter brown. Then, draw a bush on top, then put some dark green colour at the bottom, and highlight the top with a light green. Now you have a basic tree that should look neat, shaded, and of high quality! Remember, keep it simple and don't rush!
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg552/Borrego6165/BlueTree_zpsfec6fd08.png

Sound 1/5
There didn't appear to be any effects (0/2) and I seriously don't know why you used Crazy Frog. I had to turn my speakers off, but as rules go you get a music point for implementing some. Try to find some cool game loops off of the internet, on the first page of this review thread I've left a link to my Music Shop where you can easily find some good tunes! Please try it.

Firing Round 7/10
Reliability 1/2
0 (Very Glitchy) 1 (A few glitches) 2 (Hardly any glitches)
Game Length 2/2
0 (Too Short) 1 (Descent Length) 2 (Long lasting or endless)
Game Pace 2/2
0 (Very slow or too long for it's own sake) 1 (Quite engrossing) 2 (Very well paced and fun)
Replay Value 1/2
0 (Would never replay/ did not want to finish it the first time) 1 (Might replay) 2 (Too good to stop!)
Programming 1/2
0 (Simple to make) 1 (Fairly advanced) 2 (It was very complex)

Overall Experience 35/50
This was an above average experience, however, it did have faults with the car physics and the music. You could have also added more freedom to the editor, and as an extra, added a car editor. Fair enough if you don't want to make a car editor, but if the level editor had more features then this would have greatly enhanced my experience, especially if I could place moving objects and have custom messages appear when the player wins or loses the race. Then I could upload it and share it. If you were to prepare all of this for Scratch 2.0, you could have an online sharing system using lists and variables to store the race track data. You would have to give each track a grid, and each tile would have a number, so grass might be '1' and a bend might be '7'. If you need help, my Generation:4013 project uses a system like this, so that the player can save any 57 objects onto each of the 11025 tiles, so it does work.

TOTAL: 68/100

Key
0-19 I could have made that in my sleep!
20-39 Needs a lot of work.
40-59 An average project I suppose.
60-79 Quite a cool project.
80-94 Wow! It only needs a bit of tweaking.
95-100 You're the top cat!

Last edited by Borrego6165 (2013-04-05 15:28:28)

#56 2013-01-07 12:26:29

Gagamonster105
Scratcher

Please can you review these:
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Gagamonster105/2937481
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Gagamonster105/3007517

BEWARE! None of them have sound

thanks

Last edited by Gagamonster105 (2013-01-07 12:28:55)

http://i46.tinypic.com/14bklrq.png <click

#57 2013-01-07 13:13:33

ExtremelyGamer
Scratcher

I remember you did it with the 'You Review' thread. You think you can do with the Most Trusted Scratch reviewer? Be as critical as possible! I want to know where I can improve!

"Submarines are like water like underwater airplanes" O_o

#58 2013-01-07 14:21:45

Willpower
Scratcher

Willpower wrote:

By the way could you review this Hangman 0s1s v2.0 It was originally just my work but it seems to have turned into a bit of a collab between me and OrcaCat

Hold this review!

We seem to have a problem with letters not being accepted when they are correct  sad

http://i49.tinypic.com/e84kdj.png

#59 2013-01-07 14:53:08

Borrego6165
Scratcher

ExtremelyGamer wrote:

I remember you did it with the 'You Review' thread. You think you can do with the Most Trusted Scratch reviewer? Be as critical as possible! I want to know where I can improve!

What?

#60 2013-01-11 01:29:26

Borrego6165
Scratcher

North OS 2 was featured! Let's get more!

#61 2013-01-11 12:32:37

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

ExtremelyGamer wrote:

What?

Clarification would have been nice ExtremelyGamer, but I believe he is referring to you having done a review on the You Review thread, and would like you to do the same for his thread. Anyway, I should have a couple feature-worthy projects for you soon Borrego.  wink

Last edited by sonicfan12p (2013-01-11 12:32:57)

Why are the secret organizations getting all the attention?  mad

#62 2013-01-11 12:37:26

Borrego6165
Scratcher

I'm updating this today! Give me 20-30 minutes to write each review- each are large and detailed!

#63 2013-01-11 12:51:57

sonicfan12p
Scratcher

Borrego, I've just created a thread to track the top ten rated projects of the week. I was wondering if every Friday, you could tell me the two projects you reviewed that ranked highest for the previous week? I'd appreciate it if you could participate.  smile

Why are the secret organizations getting all the attention?  mad

#64 2013-01-27 19:43:32

coinman
Scratcher

Click the picture below to play my best game yet, Snowball Fight!
http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/coinman/3221194_sm.png

#65 2013-01-27 21:21:25

numberonegamers
Scratcher

I updated my scratch defense a while ago so here it is

#66 2013-01-28 01:10:44

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Forgot about this! Don't worry, this is not closed yet!

#67 2013-04-02 11:13:31

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Snake

"Use the arrow keys to move the snake and collect the strawberries and avoid the edges."

Game Design 9/10
This game is addicting, and it is an all round classic. Well, it's based on a classic, although I don't see this version becoming one. Nine points, because one more would have been rewarded if the game were faster paced.

Originality 1/10
However! There is nothing original, with the exception of strawberries being used as the food. One point! Perhaps an animal different to a snake could have been used, and maybe there could have been different playing fields and levels to try.

Ease Of Use 3/5
There was no in-game tutorial, so only three points can be rewarded. At least the controls were simple enough to work out. Project notes do not count because if this is ported to another site, the notes will not appear.

Difficulty Balance 5/5
The game starts easy and gets harder and harder. Five points rewarded.

Graphics 2/5
The snake looks very strange, I have a feeling that the creator did not create the background graphics, and the animation was limited. At least it looks fairly professional, so it scores below average marks!

Sound 1/5
There was no music, so no points rewarded. However, only one point out of two can be rewarded for the sound effects, because there were not many sound effects, when more could have been added.

Firing Round 6/10
Reliability 2/2
Game Length 2/2
Game Pace 1/2
0 (Very slow or too long for it's own sake) 1 (Quite engrossing) 2 (Very well paced and fun)
Replay Value 0/2
0 (Would never replay/ did not want to finish it the first time) 1 (Might replay) 2 (Too good to stop!)
Programming 1/2

Overall Experience 20/50
This is based on a classic, although it wasn't that memorable. My experience was dull, and the game could have been faster paced. This gave me a below average experience, which clearly had minimal effort on the graphics and sound. However, at least the programming had some effort put into it, and there appeared to be no glitches. Nevertheless, there was no lasting appeal, even though the game was nearly endless.

As mentioned earlier, unique levels and a faster pace would have scored this higher. Maybe this game should be used as a template for a larger game, involving a snake on an adventure to collect items. This, along with a plot would make the experience far better for me and other players. Or, maybe it could be a multi-player game where two snakes fight for food.

TOTAL: 56/100

Key

#68 2013-04-02 12:23:30

prokohtu
Scratcher

remember my f1 2012 from last year? now, F1 2013 is out and has a lot of new features! please consider taking a look at it! (link below)

Scratch's most realistic F1 simulator
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qIdF-SzbTzw/UU29tK-FYvI/AAAAAAAAAOs/vRFKr1Iwldc/s225/logo.jpg

#69 2013-04-02 18:46:32

Borrego6165
Scratcher

all updated!

#70 2013-04-03 01:03:50

shivadas
Scratcher

Can you please review my project, Hunger Avenger (link in signature)? Thanks!  smile

Please check out my latest project, Hunger Avenger!

#71 2013-04-03 05:36:55

prokohtu
Scratcher

there you are Borrego, i followed some of your tips and i think that you can start on it.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qIdF-SzbTzw/UU29tK-FYvI/AAAAAAAAAOs/vRFKr1Iwldc/s225/logo.jpg

#72 2013-04-04 03:07:18

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Waiting for hunger avenger and F1 2013...

#73 2013-04-04 08:59:38

prokohtu
Scratcher

i'll work some more and once i'm ready i'll tell you

#74 2013-04-04 09:50:35

prokohtu
Scratcher

Ok borrego, i fixed the overlapping problem with some scripts + the sfx volume and sequence has been adjusted, so REVIEW IT!

#75 2013-04-05 15:21:07

Borrego6165
Scratcher

F1 2013

"This is F1 2013. It is the next game in my F1 game series, which started in 2011 and has gathered about 600 views so far."

Game Design 7/10
This project has an amazing physics engine (no pun intended... engine), which is superb in all ways. Everything is simulated perfectly, and your changes to the car and weather really make a difference on the track.

Unfortunately the game design is flawed. Whilst pretty much everything else will score highly, this is the one of the sections where it goes off track. Basically, this is like a big car testing simulation, and not so much of a game in itself. For a start, the spaghetti-thin tracks will stop you from holding down the arrow keys for too long, instead you'll have to keep tapping the forward button, to make sure that you don't speed off the track, as this is extremely easy to do. It has turned a potentially fast paced racing game into a delicate skills based game.

Saying that, if you ignore the LAP INVALID warnings, and just go for a free-lance spin around the tracks, then it can be very fun to take hold of the racing car, which can be quite addicting; this gives the project seven. But the reason why this only scores a seven instead of the whopping ten (which it could have easily got) is because as I said earlier, it's a car simulation and not really much of a game. There's no multi-player, and even in single player there could have been some sort of competition to beat. It's not really a race if it's you on your own driving around. The fun wears off when you've gone around the few times and experimented with the different settings. For that, it loses three points, as the courses feel more like test tracks without races.

Perhaps this could be an engine for a future game. What if a sandbox style RPG game in a city was made, where you drive around and complete missions for cash to buy better cars. Or, maybe this could become a real "racing game" (and not just called one) where you race other players or the computer or even just a simple timer around the track! You'd start off with a test track where you can drive your car around unlimited times. Then you swap your parts, and keep experimenting until you're happy. After this, you can enter a rally or a whole series of races, and earn cash for new parts!

Originality 10/10
The number of features and settings are incredible! There have been no other scratch-based racing games to match this detail, and the number of locations too is staggering!

Ease Of Use 4/5
I learnt more from experimenting with the car parts then what I did with the help screens. Nevertheless, the controls and most of the information makes sense, although it would have been nice for some things to have been a little clearer. As for hand comfort, there were no issues. Four points!

Whilst this issue will not decrease the points total, the ordering was odd. It may have felt more appropriate for the play button to lead to a country selection, which then leads to the car/tyre choosing, and then the race. Having nearly everything in the settings section meant that if you were to go straight in and start a race, you would only get to change a couple of options. You see, normally the settings screen is saved for graphic quality (which isn't really available in scratch) sound options and other little tweaks. However, things like country selection should have come after the play button, otherwise how does the computer know which track to load? Instead it just guesses. I doubt many players will rush to the settings screen just to check if they've missed loads of cool features.

Difficulty Balance 3/5
Because of the thin tracks, this game was made harder then it should have been. There could have been a selection of easy levels, medium levels, and hard levels. The easy ones could have had wide bends, small amounts of turns and lots of space, compared to the hard ones, which could have been taken directly from this game (although one or two were not too bad). This still gets an average score because it is possible if you go slowly. Seen as there is no competition to beat, you might as well go as slow as you like!

Graphics 2/5
The user interface looked amazing! Sadly, the menu was full of ripped images, so no points for the menu.  A below average mark has been given because the tracks had little (if any) detail on them, nor did the background, and if it wasn't for the interface, this would have got a one.

Sound 5/5
Nice sound effects, and cool music for the menu. No complaints, except that one point is lost because the music doesn't suit the "race" itself. If the music was stopped for the driving bits, then a full five points would have been rewarded. Instead, the slowish music just drags down the game, and reminds me of how slow I must go to not fall off the track.

Firing Round 7/10
Reliability 2/2
Game Length 1/2
Game Pace 1/2
Replay Value 1/2
Programming 2/2

Overall Experience 30/50
This project left me in an unbalanced state. I was overwhelmed by the choices for the number of car settings and the tracks available, as well as the fun experience I had testing these. However, this turned when I felt lonely, when I realised that all along it's just me and this track. There's not even a sound effect for an audience in the background. This is a car testing simulation, and not a game of gold and glory. It's sad to think that all of the effort put into the physics engine has been wasted on an empty, lifeless game design. The engine is on in this game but it's moving slowly. The experience it left me was difficult to work out, never mind to explain! I can't say I hated the experience, as there is nothing bad about this! There's just a sense of loneliness and emptiness that I've never felt before in a game. Well, I felt lonely in Tomb Raider, but that's been done to make you feel scared and vulnerable!

It's certainly not below-average, but it's not anything special either. This game has left me... confused. All I can give it is just above half the marks.

TOTAL: 68/100

Key

Board footer