This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-03 19:55:57

All4one
Scratcher

Probehæd - The New Scratch Band

All songs, lyrics, and demos belong to Probehead, except in the case of covers

During a long break from my previous band project, the Beatles tribute band, the Walruses, I was able to attain both a new guitar and a nice, brand-new keyboard/synthesizer to noodle around with, and not long after I suddenly got the urge to start recording some material with my new equipment. I realized, though, it would probably be better recording songs with a band, since I have little experience recording and publishing material myself without the aid of others, and because I had fond memories of my work as a band with the Walruses.

My goal with this project is to bring something new into the Scratch music realm - I'd like to explore sounds that have scarcely been touched upon as of yet by other Scratch contemporaries.

More specifically, if you want to categorize it into a specific genre - I'm interested in making music that isn't afraid to be somewhat experimental or out-of-the-box in its approach. It's hard to pinpoint a specific genre I'd like to do since I have such a wide array of influences and I'm hoping for this band to be quite varied in its sound, but I guess first and foremost, I'd love to go for an alternative/indie sound that borrows elements from other styles such as psychedelia, electronica, and even a nod of the head to more dated genres such as jazz, blues, and classical.

In the roster, I'll put myself in keyboards/pianos/synthesizers, simply because it's the instrumental I most familiar with, and also the one I have the most experience recording with. However, I can also play a few guitar chords and licks, so if I can find a proper way to record my guitar-playing, I might sign myself up for rhythm guitar, depending on whose on the roster at that time. I'll also take up art duties.

Feel free to sign up for any instrument you want, even one that's not on the roster. If you do wish to sign up, please make sure you have an audition piece or any point of reference to judge your playing by. c:

Roster

Manager/Producer - All4one

Mixing Engineer - ElectricSparx

Keyboardist (pianos/synthesizers) - All4one

Lead guitarist - jji7skyline

Classical guitarist (plus other miscellaneous instruments) - pinnipediator

Bassist - jji7skyline (taken only temporarily by jji, but you can still sign up for this one if you like)

Drummer - All4one

Vocodist (I assume that's a word) - NeilWest

Trombonist/Songwriter - AwesomeStar360

Art Designer - All4one

Note: Notice that I didn't put vocals in the roster. This is mainly because by the time the roster has filled up a bit, we'll see which member will be best for vocal duties. Ideally, every member will be able to sing, but it isn't necessary upon signing up.

Last edited by All4one (2013-04-22 18:01:30)

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/sWujIsJ_zpsf6e772b4.jpg
Sig by AwesomeStar360

#2 2013-04-03 20:10:24

DJ-stickman
Scratcher

Re: Probehæd - The New Scratch Band

Aww I saw this and got sooo excited. Then I saw you had a roster - indoor really for into any  sad  good luck and I look forward to your results!

-DJ

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p522/lizzyhipo/cartoon_elf-1.jpg

#3 2013-04-03 20:16:41

All4one
Scratcher

DJ-stickman wrote:

Aww I saw this and got sooo excited. Then I saw you had a roster - indoor really for into any  sad  good luck and I look forward to your results!

-DJ

You can still sign up if you can play any of the instruments listed, if you wish. C:

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/sWujIsJ_zpsf6e772b4.jpg
Sig by AwesomeStar360

#4 2013-04-03 20:21:44

DJ-stickman
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

DJ-stickman wrote:

-DJ

You can still sign up if you can play any of the instruments listed, if you wish. C:

The only instruments I play is violin, bassoon, piano, a bit of drums and I sing....

#5 2013-04-03 20:34:16

All4one
Scratcher

DJ-stickman wrote:

All4one wrote:

DJ-stickman wrote:

-DJ

The only instruments I play is violin, bassoon, piano, a bit of drums and I sing....

Hmm, the violin and bassoon maybe useful in the future if we want to incorporate a more exotic sound into a song...
Of course I've got piano and every other keyboard instrument covered, so there's no need to worry about that.
How skilled are you at drums? Do you think you have enough experience to play for the band?

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#6 2013-04-03 20:43:49

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

This sounds nice, unfortunately, I cannot play an instrument. Unless by "Mixing Engineer" you mean doing stuff like Audacity and all that jazz.

Lead Developer for Scratch Adventure

#7 2013-04-03 20:49:04

All4one
Scratcher

ElectricSparx wrote:

This sounds nice, unfortunately, I cannot play an instrument. Unless by "Mixing Engineer" you mean doing stuff like Audacity and all that jazz.

Yeah, Audacity would work. Do you think you could do it?

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#8 2013-04-03 21:01:24

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

ElectricSparx wrote:

Yeah, I think I can, just have to get it reinstalled on this PC.

#9 2013-04-03 21:12:30

All4one
Scratcher

ElectricSparx wrote:

All4one wrote:

ElectricSparx wrote:

Sounds great, I'll add you the roster.  big_smile

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#10 2013-04-03 21:17:48

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

ElectricSparx wrote:

All4one wrote:

Sounds great, I'll add you the roster.  big_smile

I also will probably learn more on how to use some features and such.  tongue

Last edited by ElectricSparx (2013-04-03 21:18:28)

#11 2013-04-03 22:23:22

jji7skyline
Scratcher

I can play guitar and bass. You remember me from the walruses  smile

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#12 2013-04-03 23:28:06

All4one
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

I can play guitar and bass. You remember me from the walruses  smile

Of course.  smile 
And with that new guitar of yours coming along, it's all perfect timing.
I'll probably just stick with keyboards, now I think about it, and I can just leave acoustic guitar duties to you. Or you can do bass, which would be great, because bassists are pretty hard to find on Scratch.
Are you planning on taking both roles or just one of the two?

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#13 2013-04-04 01:46:40

DJ-stickman
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

DJ-stickman wrote:

All4one wrote:

Hmm, the violin and bassoon maybe useful in the future if we want to incorporate a more exotic sound into a song...
Of course I've got piano and every other keyboard instrument covered, so there's no need to worry about that.
How skilled are you at drums? Do you think you have enough experience to play for the band?

Not that skilled..... I guess I'll stay solo then.. As I said I look forward to hearing your songs

#14 2013-04-04 01:52:49

ElectricSparx
Scratcher

Soooo, how are we going to get all this working together?

#15 2013-04-04 02:51:36

madbunnygal
Scratcher

well I play the cello, piano and flute, so maybe I could help?  smile

http://i40.tinypic.com/30c50yb.png

#16 2013-04-04 03:06:14

Sellout
Scratcher

I've got an accordion that I'm learning to play. If you ever for whatever reason need anything recorded on that I'd be happy to oblige but I can't see myself applying as a regular member with nothing but an accordion

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#17 2013-04-04 03:14:58

madbunnygal
Scratcher

madbunnygal wrote:

I can sort of play viola, uke and guitar

#18 2013-04-04 03:17:22

madbunnygal
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

DJ-stickman wrote:

All4one wrote:

Not that skilled..... I guess I'll stay solo then.. As I said I look forward to hearing your songs

Thanks a lot. I hope the project lifts off as planned. Good luck with your musical endeavors as well (considering the instruments you can play), and if we happen to need violin/bassoon in the future, we'll no doubt come to you.

ElectricSparx wrote:

Usually, at this early stage, we simply wait for more people to sign up - I'd probably give it about a week from now before we start working on material with the established lineup (even if we don't have a drummer, I can trigger some realistic sounds on a drum machine until we get a live drummer).

In the meantime, members on the roster can throw out some ideas and suggestions for the future - for example, band names (which we'll dicuss later this week).

By the time that week comes, I'd say we do the trusted method of working on a cover song first. That way, we can get used to working with each other as band members, and that chemistry might result in an inspiration for future songwriting.

But for now, as I said, we'll just wait for more people to sign up and then we'll begin recording.

madbunnygal wrote:

Hmm, let's see. Well, I got piano covered, so no need to worry there. Cello and flute may be useful in the future if we start experimenting with unconventional instrumentation, along with DJ-stickman's violin and bassoon. If we're ever in need of cello and flute, we'll be sure to notify you.  smile

I can sing and sort of play the drums

#19 2013-04-04 03:32:47

All4one
Scratcher

DJ-stickman wrote:

All4one wrote:

DJ-stickman wrote:

Thanks a lot. I hope the project lifts off as planned. Good luck with your musical endeavors as well (considering the instruments you can play), and if we happen to need violin/bassoon in the future, we'll no doubt come to you.

ElectricSparx wrote:

Usually, at this early stage, we simply wait for more people to sign up - I'd probably give it about a week from now before we start working on material with the established lineup (even if we don't have a drummer, I can trigger some realistic sounds on a drum machine until we get a live drummer).

In the meantime, members on the roster can throw out some ideas and suggestions for the future - for example, band names (which we'll dicuss later this week).

By the time that week comes, I'd say we do the trusted method of working on a cover song first. That way, we can get used to working with each other as band members, and that chemistry might result in an inspiration for future songwriting.

But for now, as I said, we'll just wait for more people to sign up and then we'll begin recording.

madbunnygal wrote:

Hmm, let's see. Well, I got piano covered, so no need to worry there. Cello and flute may be useful in the future if we start experimenting with unconventional instrumentation, along with DJ-stickman's violin and bassoon. If we're ever in need of cello and flute, we'll be sure to notify you.  smile

EDIT - Oh, more applications came in while I was writing this.  tongue

Sellout wrote:

I've got an accordion that I'm learning to play. If you ever for whatever reason need anything recorded on that I'd be happy to oblige but I can't see myself applying as a regular member with nothing but an accordion

I think the accordion would be an interesting instrument to experiment with, but yeah, you still probably would end up being more of a session musician rather than a regular member. Defintely will look into adding accordion parts into our songs.

madbunnygal wrote:

Those are instruments I'd also like to dabble with (interesting that most Scratchers are auditioning for rather uncoventional instruments  tongue ). The uke especially is an instrument I'd love to hear in a song of ours. Shoukd look into that, surely. Also, if jji decides to take up just bass, then there will certainly be room for your guitar. What kind of guitar are you referring to, though? Also, could you make a recording of your drumming so I can get a good idea of how well you can drum?

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#20 2013-04-04 03:36:39

madbunnygal
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

DJ-stickman wrote:

All4one wrote:

ElectricSparx wrote:

madbunnygal wrote:

Sellout wrote:

I think the accordion would be an interesting instrument to experiment with, but yeah, you still probably would end up being more of a session musician rather than a regular member. Defintely will look into adding accordion parts into our songs.

madbunnygal wrote:

Those are instruments I'd also like to dabble with (interesting that most Scratchers are auditioning for rather uncoventional instruments  tongue ). The uke especially is an instrument I'd love to hear in a song of ours. Shoukd look into that, surely. Also, if jji decides to take up just bass, then there will certainly be room for your guitar. What kind of guitar are you referring to, though? Also, could you make a recording of your drumming so I can get a good idea of how well you can drum?

I can't, because I am on vacation.

#21 2013-04-04 03:50:44

All4one
Scratcher

madbunnygal wrote:

All4one wrote:

DJ-stickman wrote:

ElectricSparx wrote:

madbunnygal wrote:

Sellout wrote:

madbunnygal wrote:

When is the soonest you'll be able to record?

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#22 2013-04-04 03:54:03

madbunnygal
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

madbunnygal wrote:

All4one wrote:

DJ-stickman wrote:

ElectricSparx wrote:

madbunnygal wrote:

Sellout wrote:

In a week's time

#23 2013-04-04 04:03:33

All4one
Scratcher

madbunnygal wrote:

All4one wrote:

madbunnygal wrote:

In a week's time

All right, good. So you think you could get it in by then?

Sig by AwesomeStar360

#24 2013-04-04 04:20:14

madbunnygal
Scratcher

All4one wrote:

madbunnygal wrote:

All4one wrote:

In a week's time

Most likely

#25 2013-04-04 12:14:58

All4one
Scratcher

madbunnygal wrote:

All4one wrote:

madbunnygal wrote:

In a week's time

Most likely

Sounds good.

Sig by AwesomeStar360

Board footer