This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-04-01 02:39:19

TableTop
New Scratcher

move n steps only moves once

Friends

I just downloaded Scratch with the intent of introducing it to my kids to learn programming skills. I've literally just downloaded and installed it and going through the getting started guide, but I've hit a snag with the very first option.

Dragging out a 'Move n steps' block and clicking on it only moves the cat one step, no matter what number n is set to. I've tried quitting and restarting, using multiple move blocks and so on, but each move block will only cause a single step.

I've also tried adding a when (green flagged) clicked block, but still makes no difference.

I'm using Scratch 1.4 on Mac OS X 10.8.3 - are there any known issues with Mountain Lion?

Everything else seems to work find that I can tell at the moment.

I'd really appreciate any help. I was looking forward to showing this to my kids later today.

#2 2013-04-01 02:52:11

Gravitation
New Scratcher

Re: move n steps only moves once

Well, Scratch's "move () steps" block doesn't actually move the sprite that many steps. "Steps" is just Scratch's word for "pixel". The sprite will move the specified amount of pixels in the direction that it is facing, and there will be no animation. Since pixels are so small, to take a proper step would probably take about 20 pixels.

I'd recommend you check out the wiki. Here's the page about the "move () steps" block.  smile

#3 2013-04-01 02:52:26

shivadas
Scratcher

Hi there, welcome to Scratch! Could you please use the Scratchblocks to show what you are doing (it shows you how to do it below where you enter your forum post)? Otherwise it's hard to say what's wrong; I don't know of any bug that causes this. Your script should look like this:

when gf clicked
change x by [10]
This will move the sprite n steps, but only once after you hit the green flag. To make it move smoothly across the screen, use a script like this:

when gf clicked
go to x:[-240] y:[0]
forever if <(x position) < [240]>
change x by [10]
wait [0.05] secs
end
OR

when gf clicked
go to x:[-240] y:[0]
glide [n] secs to x:[240] y:[0]
Hope that helps, and happy scratching! If this doesn't resolve after using the above scripts, you might want to post in the Bugs and Glitches forum.

Please check out my latest project, Hunger Avenger!

#4 2013-04-01 08:26:58

TableTop
New Scratcher

Thank you for the replies. The 'Getting Started' guide gives the example of move 10 steps, but doesn't make clear that that means one step of 10 pixels, which is almost indistinguishable on a large screen like mine. I understood it to mean it would iterate one pre-determined move ten times.

Anyway, I now see that this isn't a problem with the app, as a misunderstanding of how the 'move' function works.

Got it. Problem solved! Thanks for your help.  smile

ps. what's with all the replacement of \the\ and \and\ with 'pico rules' and 'bloop' - nod to the wise: bit annoying!

Best

TT

Board footer