This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#7576 2013-03-30 15:26:27

blob8108
Scratcher

Re: BYOB 3 - Discussion Thread

joefarebrother wrote:

"On-screen object"?
"Visible object"?

Same issue as "Drawable" — Kurt's not actually drawing them on the screen, so they can't really be thought of as being "on-screen".

Things I've made: kurt | scratchblocks2 | this cake

#7577 2013-03-30 15:36:50

bharvey
Scratcher

[moved down because you answered my post while I was editing it again...]

EDIT2:  Or you could forget about theater metaphors and just call them "blobs."  tongue

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#7578 2013-03-30 16:45:18

blob8108
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

Or you could forget about theater metaphors and just call them "blobs."  tongue

That's not helpful  tongue

#7579 2013-03-30 17:29:06

nXIII
Community Moderator

blob8108 wrote:

I'm working on the Kurt 2 API, and I need a good name for "things that can go on the stage", which is the superclass of variable/list watchers, stage, and sprite. My ideas so far aren't great:
* "Object" -- gets confusing.
* "Drawable" -- sounds like it's related to images (and Kurt doesn't draw them anywhere anyhow).
* "Morph" -- is morphic-specific (though it's currently the best option).

Any suggestions?

ScriptableScratchMorph.  tongue

Joking aside, as long as Object is in a reasonable module, I don't think it would get too confusing.

You could also call them Things.

nXIII

#7580 2013-03-30 17:41:47

roijac
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

blob8108 wrote:

I'm working on the Kurt 2 API, and I need a good name for "things that can go on the stage", which is the superclass of variable/list watchers, stage, and sprite. My ideas so far aren't great:
* "Object" -- gets confusing.
* "Drawable" -- sounds like it's related to images (and Kurt doesn't draw them anywhere anyhow).
* "Morph" -- is morphic-specific (though it's currently the best option).

Any suggestions?

Joking aside, as long as Object is in a reasonable module, I don't think it would get too confusing.

#Object, you forget it's written in python, where 'object' is a built-in

#7581 2013-03-30 17:42:00

blob8108
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

That wouldn't be at all confusing!  big_smile

Yeah, that's my current placeholder name...  tongue

#7582 2013-03-30 17:43:19

blob8108
Scratcher

roijac wrote:

nXIII wrote:

as long as Object is in a reasonable module, I don't think it would get too confusing.

It would get slightly hard to distinguish, when half my classes inherit object, yeah...  tongue

#7583 2013-03-30 18:31:35

bharvey
Scratcher

@nXIII:  Read your email!

#7584 2013-03-30 18:39:01

nXIII
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

I did! I just haven't had a chance to ask yet.

roijac wrote:

nXIII wrote:

as long as Object is in a reasonable module, I don't think it would get too confusing.

No, I didn't. Object is built into JavaScript as well. That doesn't mean you can't call something scratch.Object!

Last edited by nXIII (2013-03-30 18:40:50)

nXIII

#7585 2013-03-30 18:47:58

blob8108
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

Object is built into JavaScript as well. That doesn't mean you can't call something scratch.Object!

Doesn't mean it isn't confusing...  tongue

#7586 2013-03-31 04:56:47

Hardmath123
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

@bharvey and Jens: did you read yours? Or were you taking a weekend break (which is totally fine—I blank out on the weekends a few times a month just because I can  tongue )?

#Naming objects (yes, I have given into the twitter-style discussion motif. Sue me.  sad  ): How about Entity?

(EDIT: That's not a double-sad-smiley, that's an emoticon, then the end of a parenthesized statement and a colon.)

Oh, and I think I'll use the stage-actor-props metaphor to explain Scratch to newbies, so check back in like 30 hours.

Last edited by Hardmath123 (2013-03-31 04:57:55)

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#7587 2013-03-31 05:00:37

Hardmath123
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

roijac wrote:

nXIII wrote:

No, I didn't. Object is built into JavaScript as well. That doesn't mean you can't call something scratch.Object!

Well, in Python, you would run into problems when coding a module:

Code:

class Object:
    x = 1

class SuperObject(object): # should be _O_bject
    pass

SuperObject.x # oops!

#7588 2013-03-31 06:56:08

blob8108
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

It wouldn't be a problem in that it would /work/ -- names are case sensitive, after all -- but it would be hard to quickly distinguish.

Not that I haven't named the base drawable Object in my Python game engine...  tongue

#7589 2013-03-31 07:00:32

blob8108
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

How about Entity?

Hmm, that's a thought. I'm leaning towards Actor, I think, as it's closest to "thing-on-a-stage". (I could just use that, of course...  tongue )

Oh, and I think I'll use the stage-actor-props metaphor to explain Scratch to newbies, so check back in like 30 hours.

Let us know how that goes -- if it works, then I'll use Actor!

#7590 2013-03-31 07:23:30

Hardmath123
Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

It wouldn't be a problem in that it would /work/ -- names are case sensitive, after all -- but it would be hard to quickly distinguish.

Not that I haven't named the base drawable Object in my Python game engine...  tongue

And I used it instead of Primitive for my raytracer.

How about Primitive?  tongue

#7591 2013-03-31 07:25:28

Hardmath123
Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

How about Entity?

Hmm, that's a thought. I'm leaning towards Actor, I think, as it's closest to "thing-on-a-stage". (I could just use that, of course...  tongue )

Sure. I suppose tomorrow will just be installing Scratch, so you may have to wait till Tuesday. I have an awesome setup to do so: I'm hosting a twisted server on my mom's Mac which serves all the files you need to download. Our Wi-Fi is shared through Mac internet sharing with network name GameClass.

(If you happen to find that network, let me know!)

#7592 2013-03-31 09:33:50

blob8108
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

If you happen to find that network, let me know!

tongue

#7593 2013-03-31 09:43:20

roijac
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

blob8108 wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

How about Entity?

Sure. I suppose tomorrow will just be installing Scratch, so you may have to wait till Tuesday. I have an awesome setup to do so: I'm hosting a twisted server on my mom's Mac which serves all the files you need to download. Our Wi-Fi is shared through Mac internet sharing with network name GameClass.

I still think that some USB sticks will do the job just fine  smile

#7594 2013-03-31 11:22:04

Hardmath123
Scratcher

roijac wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

blob8108 wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

How about Entity?

So does my dad… come on, don't you think this is infinitely cooler? People log on to 192.168.1.7:8000 and voila!

#7595 2013-03-31 11:36:50

MathWizz
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

People log on to 192.168.1.7:8000 and voila!

Ugh... Local addresses.

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&text=%20A%20signature!&color=333333

#7596 2013-03-31 11:50:32

blob8108
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

roijac wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

I have an awesome setup to do so: I'm hosting a twisted server on my mom's Mac which serves all the files you need to download. Our Wi-Fi is shared through Mac internet sharing with network name GameClass.

don't you think this is infinitely cooler? People log on to 192.168.1.7:8000 and voila!

It is cooler! But why the Twisted server -- don't Macs come with Apache?So you could just drop the files into /Library/WebServer/Documents and enable Web Sharing...

And assuming your peeps are on Macs or have iTunes installed, you could use Bonjour to save typing out the IP! (http://mums-mac.local/...)

#7597 2013-03-31 13:37:34

bharvey
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

Or were you taking a weekend break?

Email (and this forum thread) is what I do on the weekend instead of getting work done!

#7598 2013-03-31 15:46:48

joefarebrother
Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

joefarebrother wrote:

"On-screen object"?
"Visible object"?

Same issue as "Drawable" — Kurt's not actually drawing them on the screen, so they can't really be thought of as being "on-screen".

Maybe you could call them,programmable objects?
Views?
Components?
Scripted objects?
Visible objects?
Movable objects?
On stage objects?

My latest project is called http://tinyurl.com/d2m8hne! It has http://tinyurl.com/d395ygk views, http://tinyurl.com/cnasmt7 love-its, and http://tinyurl.com/bwjy8xs comments.
http://tinyurl.com/756anbk   http://tinyurl.com/iplaychess

#7599 2013-03-31 16:32:31

blob8108
Scratcher

joefarebrother wrote:

Maybe you could call them,programmable objects?
Views?
Components?
Scripted objects?
Visible objects?
Movable objects?
On stage objects?

Scriptable/programmable object is already taken — Scriptable is the superclass of Stage and Sprite. Watchers can't be scripted, you see.

"OnStageObject" is probably the closest, but I'm-a go with "Actor" for now — this is only the first draft, after all  tongue

---

In other news, I have another question for you — I might need a superclass for both Script and Comment (for free-floating comments), as they're both things that can be added to the scripting area. Any thoughts?

I'm also trying to figure out whether it's a good idea to make the scratchblocks parser an integral part of kurt. It would let me print block reprs as Block("say [Hello!] for (2) secs"), rather than the uglier Block('say:duration:elapsed:from:', 'Hello!', 2). But I'm not convinced that the format can be easily (and automatically) extended for new formats, Snap! especially.

btw, Snap! scripts are basically "nested tuples with the command name as the first item", the same as Scratch, right? (Is "S-expressions" the technical term?)

#7600 2013-03-31 17:04:47

bharvey
Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

I might need a superclass for both Script and Comment (for free-floating comments), as they're both things that can be added to the scripting area. Any thoughts?

Since comments can be attached to scripts, I've always thought of free-floating comments as being attached to empty scripts.  A comment is just another kind of block that connects sideways instead of vertically.

Block("say [Hello!] for (2) secs"), rather than the uglier Block('say:duration:elapsed:from:', 'Hello!', 2).

Yes of course that's way better!

But I'm not convinced that the format can be easily (and automatically) extended for new formats, Snap! especially.

I have every confidence in you.

Snap! scripts are basically "nested tuples with the command name as the first item", the same as Scratch, right? (Is "S-expressions" the technical term?)

I think you mean "Snap! instructions" not "Snap! scripts."  A script is a sequence of instructions.  An instruction (a name nobody's used in this context before that I'm importing from Logo documentation) is a filled-in command block.

In Lisp, every expression returns a value -- in Scratch terms, all blocks are reporters.  So applying the term "S-expressions" to Scratch/Snap! is slightly tricky, because we have to distinguish between an instruction (a filled-in command block) and an expression (a filled-in reporter block, or a number or string).

Jens is turning in his bed as I type this (not having a grave to turn in, still being alive) because in his mind (and to an extent in the implementation(s)) there is no distinction between a block and a script.  This is basically because instead of the Lisp style of representing an expression, as a list formed of pairs whose car is a pointer to an element and whose cdr is a pointer to another pair of the list spine, Morphic blocks (corresponding to the elements of an S-expression) include the pointer to the next block as an internal field.  So every block includes the part of the script that comes below it.  This fits with the UI feature that when you grab a block, you end up dragging it and everything below it in its script.  Also, in Lisp there is a very sharp distinction between a procedure and the invocation of a procedure in an expression, but in Morphic a palette block (the closest analog to a Lisp procedure) is the same data structure as a block/script in the scripting area -- much to my dismay.  It's done this way because the evaluator's data structures are primarily serving the needs of the UI display, and secondarily useful to the actual evaluation.  If it were up to me, there would be a distinct thing called a procedure that would not be a Morph at all -- it'd be invisible -- and the Morphic blocks would be expressions invoking the procedure.  But, if it were up to me, Snap! wouldn't be written yet, so I don't get a vote.  smile

EDIT:  The widespread use of default input values in primitive blocks blurs further the distinction between a procedure and an expression.

Last edited by bharvey (2013-03-31 17:30:58)

Board footer