This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » the "you have posted a similar message recently" rule needs changing

#1 2013-03-24 19:29:08

RedRocker227
Scratcher

the "you have posted a similar message recently" rule needs changing

it's annoying when you have to keep coming up with variations of thank you ("thanks", "thanks!", "thank you!", "thank you!!", etc.). if the purpose is to stop people spamming links to their project, then why would anyone post a link to their project on the project?

or, alternatively, make it so that comments that are both less than, say, five words, and don't contain a link aren't checked

or just whitelist phrases like "thanks" and "thank you"

Last edited by RedRocker227 (2013-03-24 19:29:53)

Why

#2 2013-03-24 20:27:17

Hyperbola
Scratcher

Re: the "you have posted a similar message recently" rule needs changing

RedRocker227 wrote:

it's annoying when you have to keep coming up with variations of thank you ("thanks", "thanks!", "thank you!", "thank you!!", etc.). if the purpose is to stop people spamming links to their project, then why would anyone post a link to their project on the project?

or, alternatively, make it so that comments that are both less than, say, five words, and don't contain a link aren't checked

or just whitelist phrases like "thanks" and "thank you"

Support - Of course it would need a more complex classifier, but I think a new rule would be great. I actually ran into it a few minutes ago.

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#3 2013-03-25 12:17:37

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

Support.  I want to thank people for praising my project, but I can't.  :L  I don't want to seem mean, so I resort to using smiley faces.

Alt of Firedrake969.

#4 2013-03-25 13:02:39

Hyperbola
Scratcher

firedrake969_test wrote:

Support.  I want to thank people for praising my project, but I can't.  :L  I don't want to seem mean, so I resort to using smiley faces.

Some of us do things like "Thanks! (similar message filter)". I had used "Thanks! (2)" before. Its interesting to see the different methods we use  smile

Tip of the whatever: Don't post in threads older than 2 weeks unless your post will actually be useful.
It's the last day of 1.4! *cries* (quote from NeilWest, rest by me) by the time you read this it probably will be 2.0  sad

#5 2013-03-26 10:18:45

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

Support, though I believe this has been asked multiple times.

Dunno why there isn't news about it, though.  hmm

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#6 2013-03-26 13:18:54

soniku3
Scratcher

bb

mythbusteranimator wrote:

Support, though I believe this has been asked multiple times.

Dunno why there isn't news about it, though.  hmm

internet's all about cats today.

#7 2013-03-26 13:23:21

7734f
Scratcher

I don't think there is much the ST can do about it, guys. The spam filter is hard to code and a computer doesn't understand English, Spanish, whatever language it may be. It's just a thing you have to deal with, even if it is annoying. I find it difficult too, but it's just there.

http://internetometer.com/image/38992.png   http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#8 2013-03-26 14:50:11

RedRocker227
Scratcher

7734f wrote:

I don't think there is much the ST can do about it, guys. The spam filter is hard to code and a computer doesn't understand English, Spanish, whatever language it may be. It's just a thing you have to deal with, even if it is annoying. I find it difficult too, but it's just there.

This entire website would have been hard to code, but the people working on the site are professional programmers so I doubt that the programming side of it would be a problem.

Why

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » the "you have posted a similar message recently" rule needs changing

Board footer