This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-17 04:31:13

ekontopidi
New Scratcher

Problem in scratch application launching

In the computer lab that I am responsible for, there is a workstation in which when the scratch application starts, it always opens the same scratch project. I suppose that one of the students that come to the lab every week, made a change that caused this problem. Now, I would be grateful if you could help me figure out how to fix this. Specifically, when the scratch application launches in the particular workstation the window title is "Quit?! (c:\Program Files\Scratch\Scratch.image)". The scratch.image file hasn't been modified recently (last modification date=installation date). Thank you in advance!

#2 2013-03-17 09:08:16

dusty22
Scratcher

Re: Problem in scratch application launching

So what is the problem exactly?

Scratch quits on you when you try to open it? Scratch project .sb files don't automatically open with scratch when you click on them, but it asks you to look for the .image for the Scratch application? Scratch opening to the same project every time?

#3 2013-03-17 12:30:14

ekontopidi
New Scratcher

Thank you for the reply!
Yes. Scratch is opening the same project every time, even if I try to open one of the projects under the c:\program files\scratch\projects folder. Normally, when a project .sb file opens, on the window title you can see "Project name -  Scrach". In my case, the window title displays "Quit?! (c:\Program Files\Scratch\Scratch.image)". I searched the PC where this wierd behavior happens but I didn't locate a file named "Quit" or something like that. If I move the .sb files in another PC, they open normally. I am wondering how a student managed to do that and what the fix could be....

#4 2013-03-17 16:03:44

dusty22
Scratcher

So scratch won't even let you open other projects once you're inside it? It just stays stuck?

It'd help if you took a picture of the screen you're talking about where the window title says "Quit?!", because that sounds very strange to me.

Just use the Print Screen button towards the upper right on the keyboard. Then open up MS paint and click "Edit", then "Paste" and save the image and link to it or upload it.

#5 2013-03-17 17:07:15

ekontopidi
New Scratcher

Thank you for the quick response! Since it is a long weekend here and the PC, where this behavior occurs, is at school, I will be able to provide you the image you asked for early Tuesday morning.

#6 2013-03-17 17:42:23

northmeister
Scratcher

Try shift clicking the 'r' in the scratch logo and click 'save image for end user,' that might work

http://i48.tinypic.com/5a25g5.png

#7 2013-03-18 03:52:00

ekontopidi
New Scratcher

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it on my PC (with a couple more other thinks in the squeak smalltalk environment) and  I ended up not being able to launch scratch but I found that two new files were created under c:\users\Lia\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Scratch. I deleted those files (scratch.image and scratch.ini) and now scratch opens normally. Tomorrow at school,  I will check the existence of these files, in the problematic PC, under the aforementioned folder  and let you know. Thanks again, have a nice day.

#8 2013-03-18 22:09:07

7734f
Scratcher

ekontopidi wrote:

In the computer lab that I am responsible for, there is a workstation in which when the scratch application starts, it always opens the same scratch project. I suppose that one of the students that come to the lab every week, made a change that caused this problem. Now, I would be grateful if you could help me figure out how to fix this. Specifically, when the scratch application launches in the particular workstation the window title is "Quit?! (c:\Program Files\Scratch\Scratch.image)". The scratch.image file hasn't been modified recently (last modification date=installation date). Thank you in advance!

So ironic, I had the same problem! Follow northmeister's advice, that's what fixed my problem. I thin what the student(s) did was shift clicked the r in Scratch in the upper left corner, exited out, and forgot to turn fill screen on. Reply if that didn't make sense  big_smile

http://internetometer.com/image/38992.png   http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

#9 2013-03-19 17:58:44

ekontopidi
New Scratcher

Hello! In the following link, dusty22 can see a  picture of the screen I am talking about where the window title says "Quit?!" http://goo.gl/Ft7DZ
There are indeed two scratch.image files:
(1st) c:\Program Files\Scratch\Scratch.image dated 2-7-2009
(2nd) c:\Users\mathitis_2\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Scratch\Scratch.image dated 13-3-2013
I suppose now I have two options: I either follow northmeister's advice (shift clicking the 'r' in the scratch logo and click 'save image for end user) or  I delete the 2nd Scratch.image file. However, I would like to locate the project .sb file that scratch is opening every time in presentation mode.  Is there a way to do so?
Thanks for the help and the cookie!

#10 2013-03-20 19:20:38

7734f
Scratcher

7734f wrote:

ekontopidi wrote:

So ironic, I had the same problem! Follow northmeister's advice, that's what fixed my problem. I thin what the student(s) did was shift clicked the r in Scratch in the upper left corner, exited out, and forgot to turn fill screen on. Reply if that didn't make sense  big_smile

Or, delete all of the Scratch files, (except for projects) to fix the problem.

http://internetometer.com/image/38992.png   http://i37.tinypic.com/2qixx6c.png

Board footer