This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-03-06 18:21:46

Nomolos
Scratcher

Write to DEATH - A challenging competition for avid writers

(If this doesn't belong in Collaboration, please report it to be moved. I don't know where this would go...)

WELCOME!: Welcome to Write to DEATH, otherwise known as WTD. WTD is a competition created by me that challenges and helps writers who are struggling to begin or finish a book, or just want to write for fun.

HOW IT WORKS:
Once we get about 5-6 signups for each round, we start. For 30 days the competitors write their short story when they can, and check back here for helpful tips. Everybody helps each other out and gives character names, plot lines, and stuff like that.
I guess in a way this is like NaNoWriMo, but different, because you are writing short stories, not full fledged books.

Don't be overwhelmed and try your best!

To sign up as a competitor or judge:

Competitor Form:

Username:
Do you like writing?:
Do you think you can write a story in 30 days? (If not, don't join. We don't want to overwhelm you...):
Do you have a set plot and some characters? (You don't have to, but it really helps):

Judges Form: Sorry, but we have enough judges!

Username:
Are you a practiced writer?:
Do you enjoy writing?:
Will you promise to help out when you can?:
Excerpt of your writing:

Round One Competitors: Round one has ended and results are pending!

Programmer_112
Waffle27
Teleport
pinnipediator

Signups for Round Two: Round two has started and will end on May 9th!

funnymee323
JH1010
Whisperfur
bookworm7214

Signups for Round Three: Round three has started and will end on May 23rd!

jji10dino
Waffle27

Signups for Round Four: Round four will start on May 12th!

[i]sparky2008123
7734f

Judges:

Nomolos/thecraftmaster
Lundfamily3/She_Is_Of_Dream/ShadowofArt
mintfang

Writing Tips

And that's it! Let's get writing!

Last edited by Nomolos (2013-04-25 22:56:54)

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#2 2013-03-06 18:23:45

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Re: Write to DEATH - A challenging competition for avid writers

Username:  See left.
Are you a practiced writer?:  Yes, I suppose
Do you enjoy writing?:  Yes, sometimes
Will you promise to help out when you can?:  Yes, but I'm busy.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#3 2013-03-06 18:44:54

Nomolos
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

Great! Do you think you can hand in an excerpt of your writing? I forgot to add that to the form.

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.

#4 2013-03-06 19:06:25

Programmer_112
Scratcher

Username: Programmer_112
Do you like writing?: Most of the time
Do you think you can write a story in 30 days?: If I want to, yes
Do you have a set plot and some characters?: So many . . .

http://i49.tinypic.com/rk60py.png

#5 2013-03-06 19:08:20

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Great! Do you think you can hand in an excerpt of your writing? I forgot to add that to the form.

I'd prefer not to, as I'm.... ah... rather paranoid about being stalked.  xD  I suppose on Scratch Day, I can bring a paper I wrote a while ago, but that'll be too far away.

Click the sign.

#6 2013-03-06 20:05:48

Waffle27
Scratcher

Username: Waffle27
Do you like writing? YES!!
Do you think you could write a story in 30 days? Probably, yes.
Do you have a set plot and some characters? Most are for longer books, but I can try to shorten them or think up an entirely new plot, characters, etc.

Quick question...How long should the stories be (approximately)

#7 2013-03-06 20:11:38

Nomolos
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

Do you have a set plot and some characters? Most are for longer books, but I can try to shorten them or think up an entirely new plot, characters, etc.

Well, I was thinking about 5,000 to 10,000 words long, but if that is too much, It could be 2,000 or something. It all depends on what you want to write and if you're willing to do a lot or a little.

#8 2013-03-06 20:13:08

Nomolos
Scratcher

Programmer_112 wrote:

Username: Programmer_112
Do you like writing?: Most of the time
Do you think you can write a story in 30 days?: If I want to, yes
Do you have a set plot and some characters?: So many . . .

Ok! You're in!

#9 2013-03-06 20:15:23

Waffle27
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

Well, I was thinking about 5,000 to 10,000 words long, but if that is too much, It could be 2,000 or something. It all depends on what you want to write and if you're willing to do a lot or a little.

I can do around 5,000 in 30 days I think. If not, it might  be closer to 3,000 we'll just see where the story leads.

#10 2013-03-06 20:16:31

Nomolos
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Waffle27 wrote:

I can do around 5,000 in 30 days I think. If not, it might  be closer to 3,000 we'll just see where the story leads.

Ok!  smile

#11 2013-03-07 11:25:52

Nomolos
Scratcher

Bump! We need 2-3 more people!

#12 2013-03-16 02:10:15

Waffle27
Scratcher

Will there be a theme for each round, or will we just free write? Do we get, like, "voted off" or do we all participate in all the rounds?
Sorry, just curious  smile

#13 2013-03-16 07:48:03

Whisperfur
Scratcher

Username: Whisperfur
Do you like writing?: Yes
Do you think you can write a story in 30 days? I think so, unless i get major writing block
Do you have a set plot and some characters? Yes, roughly

http://i49.tinypic.com/2zxqfy0.jpg

#14 2013-03-16 08:56:07

Teleport
Scratcher

Username: Teleport
Do you like writing?: Yeah.
Do you think you can write a story in 30 days? (If not, don't join. We don't want to overwhelm you...):
Sure.
Do you have a set plot and some characters? (You don't have to, but it really helps):
Nope.

http://i38.tinypic.com/j9q2s8.png

#15 2013-03-16 14:29:10

Whisperfur
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

I'd prefer not to, as I'm.... ah... rather paranoid about being stalked.  xD  I suppose on Scratch Day, I can bring a paper I wrote a while ago, but that'll be too far away.

I think they mean post some of your writing  on this thread so they can see you know how to write...

Last edited by Whisperfur (2013-03-16 14:29:28)

#16 2013-03-16 14:52:48

ShadowOfArt
New Scratcher

Username: ShadowOfArt
Are you a practiced writer?: I hope so, xD Otherwise years of my life were wasted.
Do you enjoy writing?: Yes! ^^
Will you promise to help out when you can?: Sure!
Excerpt of your writing:

Light glinted of smooth stones and pools of water. A small she-cat step carefully through the terrain, heading towards a larger pool. The moonlight shone upon her glossy fur, illuminating the black and grey tabby pelt. The she-cat reached her destination, and gazed into the water. Stars looked back at her. Slowly, the stars turned into cats with the night sky as there fur. One of them, a large tom, spoke.

"NightSong, it is good to see you again. Where are the others?"

NightSong replied, slowly, and sadly, "They feel abandoned and betrayed. Ever since you gave us the prophecy... They feel as if StarClan is favoring my clan."

Is that good enough? ^

#17 2013-03-16 20:42:13

mintfang
Scratcher

Username: mintfang, but you can call me Mint
Do you like writing?: HECK YEAH!
Do you think you can write a story in 30 days? (If not, don't join. We don't want to overwhelm you...): Yep :3
Do you have a set plot and some characters? (You don't have to, but it really helps): Yeah, I do! One of my personas, Harry, is going to get into a fight with some gangsters, but NO SPOILERS!
Excerpt: I sat down behind a dumpster. Mint followed. "Mint, they're after me. Run away!" I urged. She shook her head.

"Harry, I can't leave you to deal with them alone. We both go or no one goes!" she growled nervously. I sighed disappointedly.

"Mint you have to run. You'll die!" I protested, but at that moment the man-mountain and his young friend burst out from thin air right in front of us. I yelled in surprise and kicked quickly at the man's chest. Mint jumped onto the boy.

The man grabbed my foot and flipped me onto the ground. I howled and disappeared into a blinding flash, then reappeared as a wolf. I snapped at the man's face, but he blocked with his forearm. One snapped wrist? Check.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mint slashing the boy's face over and over again. He was probably being blinded by blood. I snickered in spite of my dire situation, but was quickly thrown away by the man and pinned. I was forced to turn human. Mint looked at me. "Run!" I yelled at her, and she ran for her life.

"You'll never get away, half-blood!" the man-mountain roared triumphantly, placing his boot on my chest heavily. I wheezed, coughing and spluttering up blood and pus. The man laughed at my discomfort. "Let me get a look at you..." He used a finger to lift my chin, staring into my eyes. Instinctively, I snapped down hard on his finger and got a sharp slap for my trouble.

A boy swaggered up to me. He glared down at me, then smiled smugly. "Ah, perfect specimen. Drained of energy, I suppose?" he asked the first man. Then mountain nodded and removed his boot from my chest.

"No!" the boy yelled as I instantly transformed into a panther. The man-mountain yelled and tackled me, easily forcing me to the ground. I yowled loudly and slashed at his face with a front paw. Red welts spread from his forehead down to his chin. Now it was my turn to look smug as the man was flung off of me.

Leaping to my feet,- or maybe paws- I screeched as only a panther could. "Stay right here, and no one gets hurt!" I yelled, backing away slowly. With my teeth bared, and my claws out, I probably looked pretty terrorizing. But neither of the people looked scared, and the man actually laughed at me. I shrieked and jumped at him, landing smack-dab in the middle of his chest.

He yelled in surprise, but I slashed at his face. Sprayed with blood, unconscious, but alive. I congratulated myself silently for my work. "And that's what happens to anyone who threatens me!" I spat at the boy, who was stumbling backwards.

"You-you killed Butler!" he stammered. I scowled.

"He's not dead." I muttered, turning human. My black wolf ears were shoved forward in an aggressive posture. The boy looked even more scared out of his wits. "Good riddance!"

As soon as I turned around, a sharp pain erupted between my shoulders. I was thrown down and my vision immediately blurred to the point that I could only make out blobs of color. "Butler's special recipe. A sedative that could take out an elephant and with the same dart a few men."

"You'll never get away with-" I was cut off as my windpipe was crushed under the boy's shoe. I spluttered for a moment, then went silent. The boy laughed and kicked my ribcage, shattering some ribs.

Luckily, right then the sedative kicked in. My world faded to black.

Ehh, kinda long. And a bit violent... If it's too bad I can try to dumb it down a bit :3

EDIT: Oh curd, I just realized that to be  competitor I don't have to write an excerpt... Oh well!

Last edited by mintfang (2013-03-17 10:04:36)

http://i33.tinypic.com/25p1rw6.png

#18 2013-03-16 21:17:16

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Whisperfur wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

I think they mean post some of your writing  on this thread so they can see you know how to write...

Most are personal accounts.  I don't really write fiction...

Click the sign.

#19 2013-03-17 12:11:26

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Username:see left lazy !  smile  pinnipediator
Do you like writing?:well yeah. I want to be an author
Do you think you can write a story in 30 days? (If not, don't join. We don't want to overwhelm you...):sure. Word limit?
Do you have a set plot and some characters? (You don't have to, but it really helps): all I need are my what if questions and I have all I need. So not really, but I have everything I need and that's all that's important.

smile

#20 2013-03-20 18:28:36

Programmer_112
Scratcher

So, do we need another sign up before we start?

http://i49.tinypic.com/rk60py.png

#21 2013-03-20 18:44:26

Nomolos
Scratcher

^^Nope! I thought this wouldn't be successful after this left the front page, but it looks like I was wrong!

Ok! LOVE your excerpts. You're all so good! I'll choose two judges when round on begins, which will take place on March 23th. The theme is...: Space! Write a story that includes the following:

Spaceships
Aliens
Different Planets
Lasers
And Robots.  tongue

Alright! If your stuck and have writers block, don't worry! I get it ALL the time. Just come here and I'll try to help out! You are allowed to outline the basics of your story, but don't start writing until the round begins.  smile

Last edited by Nomolos (2013-03-22 17:57:31)

#22 2013-03-20 18:47:10

Nomolos
Scratcher

Waffle27 wrote:

Will there be a theme for each round, or will we just free write? Do we get, like, "voted off" or do we all participate in all the rounds?
Sorry, just curious  smile

There is a theme, which I just posted above. And no, the rounds aren't connected and you can participate in any of them if you're not already in a different round.

#23 2013-03-21 13:25:32

Whisperfur
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

^^Nope! I thought this wouldn't be successful after this left the front page, but it looks like I was wrong!

Ok! LOVE your excerpts. You're all so good! I'll choose two judges when round on begins, which will take place on March 24th. The theme is...: Space! Write a story that includes the following:

Spaceships
Aliens
Different Planets
Lasers
And Robots.  tongue

Alright! If your stuck and have writers block, don't worry! I get it ALL the time. Just come here and I'll try to help out! You are allowed to outline the basics of your story, but don't start writing until the round begins.  smile

Hmmm, a bit out of my normal topics but i suppose that's the idea  big_smile  Pinni is probably estatic (^0^)

#24 2013-03-21 13:35:59

Nomolos
Scratcher

Whisperfur wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Ok! LOVE your excerpts. You're all so good! I'll choose two judges when round on begins, which will take place on March 24th. The theme is...: Space! Write a story that includes the following:

Spaceships
Aliens
Different Planets
Lasers
And Robots.  tongue

Hmmm, a bit out of my normal topics but i suppose that's the idea  big_smile  Pinni is probably estatic (^0^)

Yeah. Well the competition is supposed to be challenging.  tongue  So I gotta change the theme drastically every round.

Last edited by Nomolos (2013-03-21 15:45:21)

#25 2013-03-21 18:28:14

pinnipediator
Scratcher

Does it have to include all of those things? And yes, this is good for me. Robots sound hard though. I find robots cumbersome and cheesy in my stories. They're fun if you do about ai declaring war on humans.... Cheesy cliche, but then it's hard to fit in anything else. Hmmm.
Does it have to be all of them? Really? It'd leave your short story a little full.

Well, very full.

Board footer