This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2013-02-20 11:22:55

Nomolos
Scratcher

Side Chat

So when 2.0 comes out, I have decided to put a side bar in each of my new and old games.

When the bar is opened, a list appears. The list is a chat list that you can chat with other people playing the game.

Also, I might incorporate a button that, if the game has currency in it, will give another player some of your money to help them out!

What else to you think I should put in my games using cloud variables? I will put a highscore list in most games.

Last edited by Nomolos (2013-02-21 19:16:21)

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.
RIP 1.4: 2007-2013 *Sniffles* *Sobs* *Bursts into tears*

#2 2013-02-20 13:21:37

CAA14
Scratcher

Re: Side Chat

Nomolos wrote:

So when 2.0 comes out, I have decided to put a side bar in each of my new and old games.

When the bar is opened, a list appears. The list is a chat list that you can chat with other people playing the game.

Also, I might incorporate a button that, if the game has currency in it, will give another player some of your money! to help them out!

What else to you think I should put in my games using cloud variables? I will put a highscore list in most games.

So you're going to make your games multiplayer?

Well, you can all ways put a "Who's playing?" display.
If you can, you could do a multiplayer game where players play at the same time.

Regards,

CAA14

#3 2013-02-20 19:10:34

OrcaCat
Scratcher

CAA14 wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Also, I might incorporate a button that, if the game has currency in it, will give another player some of your money! to help them out!

If you can, you could do a multiplayer game where players play at the same time.

Regards,

CAA14

I've always been puzzled on how to do this. I think you would need some sort of a "server" script.
It would be something like:

SERVER
when gf clicked
delete [all v] of [Players v]
broadcast [usernameask v]
CLIENT

when i receive [usernameask v]
add [(username)] to [Players v] //You would have some sort of script for "username"
But how would you do this without a server script? :s

Oh yeah, I wanna make a cloud Pokemon battle game, and so you can talk about the game while you're playing it!

Last edited by OrcaCat (2013-02-20 20:23:21)

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#4 2013-02-20 20:17:23

CAA14
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

CAA14 wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Regards,

CAA14

I've always been puzzled on how to do this. I think you would need some sort of a "server" script.

SERVER
when gf clicked
delete all of [Players v]
CLIENT

add [(username)] to [Players v] //You would have some sort of script for "username"

Oh yeah, I wanna make a cloud Pokemon battle game, and so you can talk about the game while you're playing it!

That's a noble idea, and a good guess.

Answer me this, can you tell a list to be read, and it display the letters?
If so, then yes, that should work, and then you tell the list to show. I have made a display engine for variables, but not lists as I have never used them.
If you had built a list display engine, then you could leave the list invisible and just use it as the brains.
The only hard part about that is that I do not know how to make a text box... Or if its even possible.

I wish y'all both the best,

CAA14

#5 2013-02-20 20:25:31

OrcaCat
Scratcher

CAA14 wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

CAA14 wrote:

Regards,

CAA14

SERVER
when gf clicked
CLIENT

If so, then yes, that should work, and then you tell the list to show. I have made a display engine for variables, but not lists as I have never used them.
If you had built a list display engine, then you could leave the list invisible and just use it as the brains.
The only hard part about that is that I do not know how to make a text box... Or if its even possible.

CAA14

No, but you could make your own script. Note: this is impossible due to 2.0 not having a server script. IDK how to do it without a server script. If you had this on all sprites, it would constantly be deleted.

#6 2013-02-20 21:11:01

ErnieParke
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

CAA14 wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

SERVER
when gf clicked
CLIENT

CAA14

No, but you could make your own script. Note: this is impossible due to 2.0 not having a server script. IDK how to do it without a server script. If you had this on all sprites, it would constantly be deleted.

Not always because there are sneaky ways of doing this; some are simple though aren't very up-to-date, while others are up-to-date, though are complicated.

To Nomolos:
Nice idea! I just want to say that if you make this, make sure that you have a bad-word checker, or have an alternate method of messaging where you get to choose (not type) the message you want (plus usernames), so that no bad words or bullying can occur.

Last edited by ErnieParke (2013-02-20 21:13:25)

http://i46.tinypic.com/35ismmc.png

#7 2013-02-20 21:18:12

CAA14
Scratcher

Okay, I thought y'all were talking about the display, sorry.

I don't know much about multiplayer right now, but I would think that you just have to accommodate for multiplayer action, and then the rest would take care of itself, but I don't know.

Regards,

CAA14

#8 2013-02-20 21:50:06

OrcaCat
Scratcher

ErnieParke wrote:

make sure that you have a bad-word checker

There is an automatic cloud censor.

#9 2013-02-21 11:22:45

Nomolos
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

CAA14 wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

Regards,

CAA14

SERVER
when gf clicked
CLIENT

Before cloud variables went down, (I was a beta tester) I figured out how to make a list that saves individual data. When they come back up, I will put my plan into action.

Basically, I have two lists. One, holds the registered players and their usernames, the other, holds player data. Whenever someone views the project and enters their username, it is added to the first list, Players, and their data is added to the second list,  Data.

Let's say that 7 people have played the game. The list, Players, has 7 items.

When you join the game for the first time, your username, is added to the list Players.

Now, the list Data, which also has 7 items in it, adds the new user's data to the eighth item. Whenever his data does not match the data in the list, then it replaces that item with the new data, which makes saving games and data.

Lets say, that instead of the Data list being named Data, it is named Coins. Whenever you collect a coin, it replaces your item in the list Coins with the new amount of coins.

When you give other players your money, the Coins list will appear showing how much coins each player has. You can now type in the name of a player, and if that player is registered, then you can deposit money into their account.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I stink when it comes to explaining things. But I hope this told you some of what I plan to do!

Last edited by Nomolos (2013-02-21 11:36:34)

Goodbye 1.4. I'll always remember you and treasure your awesomeness in my heart.

#10 2013-02-21 11:42:58

CAA14
Scratcher

Yes, it told me, though I am not totally on board, it sounds like you have had enough experience to know what you're doing.  smile

Regards,

CAA14

#11 2013-02-21 15:14:30

ErnieParke
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

There is? Well that's nice of the ST.  smile

With regards,

ErnieParke

http://i46.tinypic.com/35ismmc.png

#12 2013-02-21 19:16:06

Nomolos
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

Really? I didn't think there was...

#13 2013-02-23 12:57:37

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

Really? I didn't think there was...

BoltBait said there was.

#14 2013-02-23 13:06:27

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Nomolos wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

CAA14 wrote:

Regards,

CAA14

SERVER
when gf clicked
CLIENT

Before cloud variables went down, (I was a beta tester) I figured out how to make a list that saves individual data. When they come back up, I will put my plan into action.

Basically, I have two lists. One, holds the registered players and their usernames, the other, holds player data. Whenever someone views the project and enters their username, it is added to the first list, Players, and their data is added to the second list,  Data.

When you join the game for the first time, your username, is added to the list Players.

Now, the list Data, which also has 7 items in it, adds the new user's data to the eighth item. Whenever his data does not match the data in the list, then it replaces that item with the new data, which makes saving games and data.

Lets say, that instead of the Data list being named Data, it is named Coins. Whenever you collect a coin, it replaces your item in the list Coins with the new amount of coins.

When you give other players your money, the Coins list will appear showing how much coins each player has. You can now type in the name of a player, and if that player is registered, then you can deposit money into their account.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I stink when it comes to explaining things. But I hope this told you some of what I plan to do!

That's ingenious!

#15 2013-02-23 14:25:07

Nomolos
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

Nomolos wrote:

OrcaCat wrote:

SERVER
when gf clicked
CLIENT

That's ingenious!

big_smile  Thanks! I can't wait for cloud variables to come back!

#16 2013-03-04 18:19:29

CanadianGeorge
Scratcher

I thought chat wasn't aloud...

But you never know, I may be wrong.

smile   neutral   sad   big_smile   yikes   wink   hmm   tongue   lol   mad   roll   cool
"You're weird" -My Sister

#17 2013-03-19 13:15:08

flint1099
Scratcher

You're right I was checking out the beta site and when the brought back cloud it said that only numbers are allowed

Look at my scratch website here:
Flint and Scratch

Board footer