This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#126 2011-03-13 11:47:52

WindowsExplorer
Scratcher

Re: multiplayer on scratch

The two things I really, really want on Scratch is...
1. You could lock your projects, to stop people from copying them.
2. You could create 2, or three player games on Scratch, so people can play against eachother on two different PCs!
Please, Please Scratch can you build in that? I had to delete one of my projects because I didn't want people copying them, but I want the project on my website, and I'm trying to create a virtual world, but its impossable, because I can't have 2 players or more... WAAAAAAAAAA!  sad  Bonus Tip: To make something happen after something, you can click:  http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=111094#req_message And to make the 2nd part of it happen, click:  http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=111094#req_message ! Hope that helps!

http://i.imgur.com/H6LLdnK.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/VYuD7BY.png

#127 2011-03-13 11:57:20

scimonster
Community Moderator

#128 2011-03-26 14:44:26

Elspongebob123
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

There are some games that are already like that, in which two people use the same keyboard, and each player use different key command (example: player1 uses the arrow keys, and player2 uses keyboard keys 'W''A''S''D'), and this concept can always be extended to more than one player. Of course, perhaps you had a different idea in mind when you are referring to 'multiplayer game'?

He means it would be cool if you were playing with people all across the globe. I think if you do a really hard mix of blocks you can make it multiplayer.

Elspongebob123

#129 2011-03-26 19:09:04

Venazard
Scratcher

How would one use mesh?

http://nitrostudios.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/1/2/6812574/1323469851.png

#130 2011-03-26 20:38:53

throughthefire
Scratcher

WindowsExplorer wrote:

2. You could create 2, or three player games on Scratch, so people can play against eachother on two different PCs!

Well, if you want people to not download your projects, upload them to your own site. Scratch has a creative commons policy that lets people remix projects freely. HOWEVER, if someone completely copies your project without giving credit, you can contact the Scratch Team, because they have to give you credit. And there is something on Scratch that lets you (kind of) do multiplayer. It's called mesh, but you have to do some modding on Scratch or download BYOB to get it. It is only local, though, but with some clever scripting, you could make it work very well for it's limited range.

Back. For now. Maybe.

#131 2011-03-27 07:29:37

scimonster
Community Moderator

throughthefire wrote:

WindowsExplorer wrote:

Well, if you want people to not download your projects, upload them to your own site. Scratch has a creative commons policy that lets people remix projects freely. HOWEVER, if someone completely copies your project without giving credit, you can contact the Scratch Team, because they have to give you credit. And there is something on Scratch that lets you (kind of) do multiplayer. It's called mesh, but you have to do some modding on Scratch or download BYOB to get it. It is only local, though, but with some clever scripting, you could make it work very well for it's limited range.

Also in other mods.

#132 2011-05-24 18:24:21

pierock000
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

archmage wrote:

Online isn't nearly as important as sprite duplication. Most people can barly make a local multiplayer game and making an online multiplayer game would probably be too hard for 99% of scratch users.

Too hard for me that's for sure.

I can do it!!!! im makin a game based on maplestory lol

#133 2011-05-25 09:05:33

nuckelavee
Scratcher

hirandomperson wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

There are some games that are already like that, in which two people use the same keyboard, and each player use different key command (example: player1 uses the arrow keys, and player2 uses keyboard keys 'W''A''S''D'), and this concept can always be extended to more than one player. Of course, perhaps you had a different idea in mind when you are referring to 'multiplayer game'?

but it's not the same as a multiplayer

Well, there's more than one player, so it is multiplayer (multi, as in more than one)

Scratch 2.0- announced April 19, 2010, and now in alpha!  It looks cool, and finally has cloning  smile  Yay.

#134 2011-05-26 13:46:05

Paradox452
New Scratcher

I just hope the Mesh Networking features are improved in the future, because in my experience there is a lot of lag with even the smallest online co-op games made in Scratch.

#135 2011-06-17 13:08:28

MegaPugGames
New Scratcher

I wish we could find out how to do multiplayer

#136 2011-06-17 13:14:10

agscratcher
Scratcher

hirandomperson wrote:

MrTeacher wrote:

it IS already possible, very hard, but possilbe

how?

Mesh, that's how.

http://narwhaler.com/img/yu/5/no-barrel-i-insist-after-you-spiderman-yU5Ua7.jpg

#137 2011-07-14 17:20:26

lcass
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Heres a tip for those connecting to their own computer with mesh. When you join a host instead of entering an IP address, just type in "localhost" without the quotes.

How long does it take to learn java I saw your vid on YouTube how exactly do I set up multiplayer in scratch not just in local but using your network.

#138 2012-01-23 15:00:56

999ruth999
New Scratcher

Hey guys I really badly want to make an *ONLINE* game for my HorseVille game... Some people say it is possible, some people say it isn't... I'm really confused. I don't get how it is possible, because scratch games aren't connected to each other... right? Some one help me out here :s

#139 2012-01-23 15:47:34

Magnie
Scratcher

999ruth999 wrote:

Hey guys I really badly want to make an *ONLINE* game for my HorseVille game... Some people say it is possible, some people say it isn't... I'm really confused. I don't get how it is possible, because scratch games aren't connected to each other... right? Some one help me out here :s

I suggest creating a new topic in either Advanced Topics or All About Scratch. But to answer your question quickly:

It is possible to create multiplayer games, though it is either really slow or really hard. There is a feature called "Remote Sensors" which allows you to connect 3rd-party applications to Scratch. By taking advantage of this feature you can create multiplayer games.

This is a good place to start learning about Remote Sensors.

An example of using Remote Sensors to create a chat program is here. And an in-development game would be here (though currently it isn't being actively worked on). Once again, it is really hard to make anything online. No matter the project.

Last edited by Magnie (2012-01-23 15:48:02)

#140 2012-02-27 13:09:23

DanCstudio
Scratcher

throughthefire wrote:

WindowsExplorer wrote:

Actually, try using the following script to get scratch programs to close when downloaded.
It's a good way to stop remixes:

http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Making_Scratch_Close

#141 2012-10-30 20:18:14

zayn12
Scratcher

Hey Scratch.
I've developed a "Multiplayer" game/project (what evz) and showed somebody.
They said, "It would be even MORE fun if it were online multiplayer." I thought about it for a moment, and thought of some kinds of scripts to access that kind of multiplayer. These might be useful, but I'm not sure yet.  sad
Here's what I think: when [green flag] clicked, {set [online multiplayer] to (offline)
*skips to connection part* when I recieve [multiplayer access] {ask(please enter your SSID, WPA Key type, and Security Key) } if <(key)=(correct)> {broadcast [online multi.]}
etc. But there's one small thing missing, how do you make it to where scratch knows what the internet key and all that is? I need help on that one, and I am also wondering about a "Bluetooth, microphone, headset, webcam,etc" connection.  yikes

#142 2013-03-17 14:09:09

topthorn10
Scratcher

Can somebody just tell me how to make online multiplayer games!

Board footer