This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-06-22 18:23:03

Usatt1337
Scratcher

Scratch Mobile

Scratch is obviously a great way to share your projects, look at other people's projects, and download other peoples project, and code. I think it would be beneficial for Scratch to make a Scratch mobile app. How is this possible? I am not sure. But I know that as iPods, iPads, Droid, G1, BlackBerry and other smartphones and devices gain popularity, so could scratch. The application could include; a way to create projects, a way to upload/download projects and a way to log into your account and comment on other people's projects and do other website functions. Even though going onto the website and commenting or posting on the forums is possible without an app, an app could make it easier to do and more practical to use in mobile. I think that we should not expect this anytime soon, but that it is something the Scratch Team should seriously look into developing. Thank you for reading and please say if you support this idea, I will add your name to the list.

SUPPORTERS
-Usatt1337

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9183/fmod.jpg

#2 2010-06-22 18:35:24

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

Re: Scratch Mobile

Usatt1337 wrote:

Scratch is obviously a great way to share your projects, look at other people's projects, and download other peoples project, and code. I think it would be beneficial for Scratch to make a Scratch mobile app. How is this possible? I am not sure. But I know that as iPods, iPads, Droid, G1, BlackBerry and other smartphones and devices gain popularity, so could scratch. The application could include; a way to create projects, a way to upload/download projects and a way to log into your account and comment on other people's projects and do other website functions. Even though going onto the website and commenting or posting on the forums is possible without an app, an app could make it easier to do and more practical to use in mobile. I think that we should not expect this anytime soon, but that it is something the Scratch Team should seriously look into developing. Thank you for reading and please say if you support this idea, I will add your name to the list.

SUPPORTERS
-Usatt1337

The Scratch Team is already implementing this, Scratch 2.0 will be compatible with phones.

#3 2010-07-17 12:12:20

mamaluigi
Scratcher

they need java to run scratch but those phones dont use java and they are hoping they will change their rules

#4 2010-07-17 12:13:29

mamaluigi
Scratcher

mamaluigi wrote:

they need java to run scratch but those phones dont use java and they are hoping they will change their rules

but id hope it comes out and i do support it so add me to the list

#5 2010-07-17 12:42:49

kayybee
Scratcher

ugh... if you haven't noticed, it won't run on iphones because it's an emulation. maybe jailbroken ones.

#6 2010-07-17 12:58:47

mamaluigi
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

ugh... if you haven't noticed, it won't run on iphones because it's an emulation. maybe jailbroken ones.

untrue check out the scratch blog: http://blog.scratch.mit.edu/2010/04/scratch-on-iphone.html

#7 2010-07-17 14:57:13

kayybee
Scratcher

that's the point. it got REMOVED. tongue

#8 2010-07-17 15:18:45

coolstuff
Community Moderator

kayybee wrote:

It was just resubmitted a few days ago; Apple changed it's policy.

Regardless, this doesn't belong in "Requests" - it belongs in Suggestions. So I'll move it over there for you, just to keep things nice and organized.

Anyways, this post pretty much sums up my opinion  smile  It's a lot of work that the Scratch Team should be focusing on 2.0, and very few people would use it.

#9 2010-07-17 18:51:47

Dazachi
Retired Community Moderator

coolstuff wrote:

kayybee wrote:

Regardless, this doesn't belong in "Requests" - it belongs in Suggestions. So I'll move it over there for you, just to keep things nice and organized.

Anyways, this post pretty much sums up my opinion  smile  It's a lot of work that the Scratch Team should be focusing on 2.0, and very few people would use it.

Apple is allowing the app again?!? Yay!

Dazachi, Retired Community Moderator
May also know me as OJACheung.

#10 2010-07-17 20:23:41

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Dazachi wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

kayybee wrote:

Well, they haven't officially accepted the app, but they changed their policy to allow *some* code interpreters that are approved by Apple. Hopefully Scratch will make it.

#11 2011-08-08 20:31:29

epicface213
Scratcher

floatingmagictree wrote:

Usatt1337 wrote:

SUPPORTERS
-Usatt1337

The Scratch Team is already implementing this, Scratch 2.0 will be compatible with phones.

Well Im sending this message thro mah iPod I was at GT camp and I found out that if u search on google u can find out

#12 2011-08-08 21:31:24

Death_Wish
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

Dazachi wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Well, they haven't officially accepted the app, but they changed their policy to allow *some* code interpreters that are approved by Apple. Hopefully Scratch will make it.

Well, hopefully Steve Jobs didn't read all of the insults to him on Scratch when Apple took the project down in the first place  tongue

With a straight flush.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FlUhnzmIROE/TgtpjdJl4tI/AAAAAAAABCM/W19pvFTZFaU/s1600/save_the_world.png http://blocsonic.com/images/special/rip-stevejobs.jpg

#13 2011-09-06 15:53:52

gdog333
Scratcher

Usatt1337 wrote:

SUPPORTERS
-Usatt1337

this some it up: http://llk.media.mit.edu/projects.php?id=1974
sorry I can't make it a link I'm a "new scratcher" aka I have not been on the website much!!

#14 2011-09-09 07:45:32

prokohtu
Scratcher

Scratch 2.0 online projects will be based on flash. And some devisec support flash.

Scratch's most realistic F1 simulator
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qIdF-SzbTzw/UU29tK-FYvI/AAAAAAAAAOs/vRFKr1Iwldc/s225/logo.jpg

#15 2011-09-09 18:44:47

efisher82
Scratcher

prokohtu wrote:

Scratch 2.0 online projects will be based on flash. And some devisec support flash.

Not iPads. That's what we really need. I think Apple will let them have a (free) app in the app store, because it's not like Scratch even has the capability to make games, apps etc. as good as those designed for iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch). That seems to be their main concern with the no interpreters rule.

http://bit.ly/ApaYt4http://ow.ly/8Jemvhttp://fulltwist.net/wp-content/plugins/social-slider/icons/standard/youtube-32.png

#16 2013-03-13 22:18:30

Snivrio
New Scratcher

Yes. Definently bring scratch on the nook!

when gf clicked
think [this is cool] for (2) secs

#17 2013-03-14 23:10:18

kayybee
Scratcher

Snivrio wrote:

Yes. Definently bring scratch on the nook!

when gf clicked
think [this is cool] for (2) secs

Um... Please don't use blocks like that in posts. Blocks are meant to show scripts. If you want to say "this is cool" you can go:
"this is cool".
Also, try to check the date of the post. This topic is over a year old, and no one has been discussing on it since.

If your nook is good enough (RAM wise) (nooks aren't very good to begin with) you can run Scratch 2.0 which is completely online and runs on flash.

Please do not think that Scratch is going to spend their time re-developing Scratch for several years just to help the tiny percent of the Scratch population that would Scratch on their nook. They're completely occupied already by Scratch 2.0, and extremely busy. Besides, an app like that would take even longer to make than a normal program because the languages are different and stuff.

Board footer