This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-07-08 07:51:41

humpfle
Scratcher

Commercial Use`?

Can we use Scratch Products for our commercial online shop http://www.humpfle.de ?

#2 2009-07-08 18:17:37

Mike_W
Scratcher

Re: Commercial Use`?

The creative commons license (and my understanding of it) allows you to distribute anything made under it as long as you credit the orginal author.

I don't believe there are any restrictions on how you redistribute them

#3 2009-07-08 18:33:44

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

but it is ilegal to sell anything from scratch to make a profit

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#4 2009-07-08 18:37:38

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Mike_W wrote:

The creative commons license (and my understanding of it) allows you to distribute anything made under it as long as you credit the orginal author.

I don't believe there are any restrictions on how you redistribute them

But in this case, the person wants to sell stuff commercially, not simply redistribute it freely for no cost.

The owner will have to take a close look at the CC license involved, because it most likely has a 'no-commercial' statement in there that doesn't allow for the selling of Scratch paraphernalia.

The best option here is to discuss the issue with the Scratch Team, using the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#5 2009-07-08 18:46:04

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

Scratch Copyright Policy wrote:

DMCA
Table of contents
No headers
The Lifelong Kindergarten research group respects the intellectual property of others, as well as our users. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please email copyright@scratch.mit.edu, or fax or mail your complaint to the following:

Copyright Agent / Mitchel Resnick
MIT Media Laboratory

77 Massachusetts Ave
Room E15-020A
Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel: (617) 253-9783
Fax: (617) 253-5275

The Lifelong Kindergarten Group will promptly process and investigate notices of alleged infringement and will take appropriate actions under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) and other applicable intellectual property laws. Upon receipt of notices complying or substantially complying with the DMCA, the Lifelong Kindergarten Group may act expeditiously to remove or disable access to any material claimed to be infringing. Repeat infringers of third-party copyrights are subject to termination in appropriate circumstances.

In assessing whether or not a Scratch user has violated your copyrights, please keep in mind that Scratch is an educational and not-for-profit initiative , seeking to aid children’s learning by providing the tools for them to learn and express themselves using digital technology. Please also keep in mind the “Fair Use” doctrine incorporated into the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. § 107.

We hope you also see Scratch not only as a good way of popularizing your creations/website but also as an opportunity to do something good for children’s education.

If you choose to make a copyright infringement complaint, please note that we may post your notification, with personally identifiable information redacted, to a clearinghouse such as chillingeffects.org. Please also note that you may be liable for damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees) if you materially misrepresent that an activity is infringing your copyright.

I don't know if you can see it, but I bolded the part I wanted to show.

Coloured it

Last edited by Blade-Edge (2009-07-08 18:47:23)

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

Board footer