This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#7101 2013-02-25 06:03:41

Jens
Scratcher

Re: BYOB 3 - Discussion Thread

You know, nobody is going to see your Snap! usernames until we implement and allow sharing projects, which may well take some months... At first, it's just going to be for private online storage of your projects.  smile

Jens Mönig

#7102 2013-02-25 08:50:45

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

You know, nobody is going to see your Snap! usernames until we implement and allow sharing projects, which may well take some months... At first, it's just going to be for private online storage of your projects.  smile

Aww… where's the fun in that?  smile

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#7103 2013-02-25 08:58:30

blob8108
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

Would you be fine with "mathy"?

"Hardmathy" works for me.  tongue

Jens wrote:

nobody is going to see your Snap! usernames

It's still a crucial decision!

EDIT: whoops, excessive colon-Ps again

Last edited by blob8108 (2013-02-25 08:58:51)

Things I've made: kurt | scratchblocks2 | this cake

#7104 2013-02-25 09:20:54

Hardmath123
Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

I don't like 3+ syllables.  hmm

Jens wrote:

nobody is going to see your Snap! usernames

It's still a crucial decision!

tongue

Last edited by Hardmath123 (2013-02-25 09:21:13)

#7105 2013-02-25 10:25:39

blob8108
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

blob8108 wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

I don't like 3+ syllables.  hmm

"mathy" are you, then.

I'm amazed how young you are, btw. Just sayin'.

tongue

tongue   tongue

#7106 2013-02-25 10:59:30

bharvey
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

Wait, are you Chinese?  I've never heard anyone use "fine" in that context except for my English-second-language ethnic-Chinese Berkeley students.

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#7107 2013-02-25 12:40:56

MathWizz
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

Wait, are you Chinese?  I've never heard anyone use "fine" in that context except for my English-second-language ethnic-Chinese Berkeley students.

I use it that way.  tongue

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&text=%20A%20signature!&color=333333

#7108 2013-02-25 12:45:28

bharvey
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

I see, it's ethnic-Chinese Berkeley students and people with "math" in their Scratch names?

#7109 2013-02-25 12:50:27

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

MathWizz wrote:

I see, it's ethnic-Chinese Berkeley students and people with "math" in their Scratch names?

I use it that way.   tongue
Or, to break the colon-P,  big_smile

I would get BYOB if I knew there were significant advantages, because I can't upload them to Scratch.

Alt of Firedrake969.

#7110 2013-02-25 16:20:29

bharvey
Scratcher

firedrake969_test wrote:

I would get BYOB if I knew there were significant advantages, because I can't upload them to Scratch.

Yes, that's a serious disadvantage, we know.

If you're interested in learning serious computer science, then you'll want first class procedures and first class lists.  Those are the main things.

#7111 2013-02-25 17:36:19

shadow_7283
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

MathWizz wrote:

I use it that way. But I'm from NZ, so I do everything a little differently.
@Jens: I know this is no where near a priority, but expansion-wise, couldn't Snap! eventually make use of the capabilities of WebSockets? Collaborative editing would be so much fun! A quick Google indicated that Scheme doesn't currently have an implementation of it.

#7112 2013-02-25 17:55:15

bharvey
Scratcher

shadow_7283 wrote:

But I'm from NZ

Oh!  You're not a native Texan?  Why didn't I know that?

Collab editing sounds awesome.  Feel free to contribute the code!  (After 4.0, that is.)

#7113 2013-02-25 19:47:33

bharvey
Scratcher

BYOB 2013 World Tour:

March 6-9: Jens and Brian in Denver for SIGCSE.

Sat Apr 20: Cal Day!  Lots of activities.  Come visit!

May 9-27: Brian in Japan.  (Anyone bilingual going to be in Tokyo the last few days or Kyoto the first few?  I could use an interpreter!  The rest of the time I'm on a guided tour.)

July 25-27: Jens, maybe Brian, in Barcelona for the European Scratch Conference.

June-Aug: Brian doing workshops in various places yet to be determined; candidates include CT, southern CA, MA, NY (NYC and/or upstate), WA, etc.

#7114 2013-02-25 20:04:17

Hardmath123
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

You've said that to someone else before, right? Anyway, no. You will never guess where I am.

I may be in Michigan this summer, and chance you can make it? Too bad we moved, everyone on a world tour gives at least one lecture in NY.  sad

#7115 2013-02-25 20:12:20

bharvey
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

I may be in Michigan this summer, and chance you can make it?

No contacts there so far, but if you round up ten high school teachers who want to teach the Beauty and Joy of Computing course next year, then we can do a workshop!

Alternatively, Michigan isn't that far from upstate NY; if we do a workshop there you can come help teach it.  smile

PS  If the reason I'll never guess where you are turns out to be that you're in Berkeley, I'll be very annoyed.  tongue

PPS Not annoyed about you being here; annoyed about you making a mystery of it.  I'd love for you to be here!

P^3S If, like me, you spent your linguistic-formative years in New York, I'm even more surprised that you can say "is that fine"!  Or is this one of those things that some TV character says so now everyone (except those of us without TVs) says it?

P^4S Not trying to tease you, btw; I collect these obscure language differences, such as "pop" vs. "soda" (vs "phosphate," I'm told,  but I've never actually heard anyone say that outside of period movies).

P^5S ... while reserving the right to tease you on some other occasion.  tongue

Last edited by bharvey (2013-02-25 23:25:52)

#7116 2013-02-25 21:50:40

Firedrake969
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

firedrake969_test wrote:

Yes, that's a serious disadvantage, we know.

If you're interested in learning serious computer science, then you'll want first class procedures and first class lists.  Those are the main things.

Is Mod Share a reliable place to upload BYOB projects, with a large community?

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#7117 2013-02-26 10:37:55

Hardmath123
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

I may be in Michigan this summer, and chance you can make it?

No contacts there so far, but if you round up ten high school teachers who want to teach the Beauty and Joy of Computing course next year, then we can do a workshop!

Alternatively, Michigan isn't that far from upstate NY; if we do a workshop there you can come help teach it.  smile

I don't think that's gonna happen. Anyway, we're not sure we're coming yet (it's for the finals of a robotics competition we won called "Robofest", but it's a loss for us since the prize money is a lot lower than the cost of getting there. Though our robot is pretty awesome, we have a great shot at winning.)

PS  If the reason I'll never guess where you are turns out to be that you're in Berkeley, I'll be very annoyed.  tongue

PPS Not annoyed about you being here; annoyed about you making a mystery of it.  I'd love for you to be here!

Ah, I wish. I'm stuck in a dump half-way around the world from California in a crazy uber-traditional-memorize-this-poem-and-copy-page-17-into-your-notebook-for-homework school.  sad

P^3S If, like me, you spent your linguistic-formative years in New York, I'm even more surprised that you can say "is that fine"!  Or is this one of those things that some TV character says so now everyone (except those of us without TVs) says it?

I don't really know, but I don't use that phrase a lot.

P^4S Not trying to tease you, btw; I collect these obscure language differences, such as "pop" vs. "soda" (vs "phosphate," I'm told,  but I've never actually heard anyone say that outside of period movies).

Me too! The English where I live is borderline painful, and I actually spend time in class editing my textbooks for personal satisfaction:

"When you bring it together, they repel. Why this happens?" Argh!

There are a lot of interesting language features, though, which (though irritating to hear) are sometimes kind of funny.

P^5S ... while reserving the right to tease you on some other occasion.  tongue

Looking forward to it!  smile

#7118 2013-02-26 10:42:40

bharvey
Scratcher

Firedrake969 wrote:

Is Mod Share a reliable place to upload BYOB projects, with a large community?

I dunno -- anyone else here use it?  But if you wait a while, we'll have our own Snap! server where you can (very, very, very soon) store projects privately, and (some months later, probably) share them.

#7119 2013-02-26 10:45:53

blob8108
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

BYOB 2013 World Tour:

No chance of a UK visit...?  tongue

#7120 2013-02-26 11:09:06

bharvey
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

Anyway, we're not sure we're coming yet (it's for the finals of a robotics competition we won called "Robofest", but it's a loss for us since the prize money is a lot lower than the cost of getting there. Though our robot is pretty awesome, we have a great shot at winning.)

Oh, man, you can't miss that!  Don't you have frequent flyer miles or something?  Can we take up a collection?  Make a Scratch project with a "click to donate" button?

(EDIT:  You know, the Snap! HTTP block means people can really do this once we have project sharing -- Paypal accepts cross-site references, right?  Are we going to have to have a policy about such things?  See, sharing is a rat's nest.)

I'm stuck in a dump half-way around the world from California in a crazy uber-traditional-memorize-this-poem-and-copy-page-17-into-your-notebook-for-homework school.  sad

Army brat, are you?   smile   But, I don't understand, is the "we" of the robot the same as this terrible school?  And, if you're halfway around the world from me, why don't your parents just send you to Summerhill?  (And, how come this school hasn't succeeded in draining all your brain matter out?)

"When you bring it together, they repel. Why this happens?"

They're using English to teach you physics, when their English is so bad?  One of those International Schools patronized by the children of ambassadors and oil well installers?

This really does sound dire.  Seriously, why don't your parents send you to live with relatives here in civilization?  Or if that's too far, you could camp out with Jens and learn German.  Or something!  When you first talked about how bad your school is, I thought you meant a typical bad-but-tolerable US middle school, but now I want to rescue you somehow.

Last edited by bharvey (2013-02-26 11:30:12)

#7121 2013-02-26 11:12:44

bharvey
Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

No chance of a UK visit...?

I do want to visit Stephen Howell, the guy who interfaced the Kinect to Scratch, who's in Ireland.  But that's unlikely to happen this summer.

#7122 2013-02-26 11:50:13

Hardmath123
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

Anyway, we're not sure we're coming yet (it's for the finals of a robotics competition we won called "Robofest", but it's a loss for us since the prize money is a lot lower than the cost of getting there. Though our robot is pretty awesome, we have a great shot at winning.)

Oh, man, you can't miss that!  Don't you have frequent flyer miles or something?  Can we take up a collection?  Make a Scratch project with a "click to donate" button?

Yeah, I've been constantly telling them how it'll be great for college applications…  smile

I'm stuck in a dump half-way around the world from California in a crazy uber-traditional-memorize-this-poem-and-copy-page-17-into-your-notebook-for-homework school.  sad

Army brat, are you?   smile   But, I don't understand, is the "we" of the robot the same as this terrible school?  And, if you're halfway around the world from me, why don't your parents just send you to Summerhill?  (And, how come this school hasn't succeeded in draining all your brain matter out?)

That's the crazy bit—the kids are pretty smart, but only smart enough to do what they're told to. They can't even write an essay on their own, so the English teacher gives us pre-made essays to memorize and vomit on the test. So I got a B for quoting Julius Caesar.

The large part of the reason I'm still alive is because I have Scratch and you guys. And then with USAMTS, piano lessons with a teacher in Brooklyn, and Udacity, I'm pretty happy when I need to be.

This really does sound dire.  Seriously, why don't your parents send you to live with relatives here in civilization?  Or if that's too far, you could camp out with Jens and learn German.  Or something!  When you first talked about how bad your school is, I thought you meant a typical bad-but-tolerable US middle school, but now I want to rescue you somehow.

I'm fine—once my parents realized I was dying (I was willing to go to Korea, and that was before Psy) they promised to get me to an international school.  smile

#7123 2013-02-26 12:08:12

bharvey
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

piano lessons with a teacher in Brooklyn

Over the net?  That's pretty cool.

Udacity

Oh no, you're consorting with the enemy!  You want edX, the free-as-in-freedom online school.  (Coming to edX next year, our Snap!-based course!  Not that you need that one.)

Anyway, I'm glad you're okay.

Last edited by bharvey (2013-02-26 12:09:07)

#7124 2013-02-26 12:20:13

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

piano lessons with a teacher in Brooklyn

Over the net?  That's pretty cool.

Udacity

Oh no, you're consorting with the enemy!  You want edX, the free-as-in-freedom online school.  (Coming to edX next year, our Snap!-based course!  Not that you need that one.)

Anyway, I'm glad you're okay.

I'll take the course!  Assuming this is on topic, Snap! is based on HTML/JS, right?

Alt of Firedrake969.

#7125 2013-02-26 12:38:27

MathWizz
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

(EDIT:  You know, the Snap! HTTP block means people can really do this once we have project sharing -- Paypal accepts cross-site references, right?  Are we going to have to have a policy about such things?  See, sharing is a rat's nest.)

There's no way it supports cross-site references. If it did, we'd all be bankrupt.  tongue

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&text=%20A%20signature!&color=333333

Board footer