This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-07-06 17:59:52

JuiceyBox
Scratcher

Permission to Download

Seeing how I can name quite a few people on Scratch who have no problem downloading and stealing art or music from others' projects, I think it would be nice to have the option to allow downloading on a project or not when we post it to the website. That way, sprites or music that we wanted to keep for ourselves wouldn't be taken by others, and projects we wanted to share could be.

:EDIT:

Summing up what we have so far:

Arguments for: Prevent Theft
Arguments against: No source of music, those without Java unable to view projects

New Idea: How about an option that lets you change things a bit so that, when people downloaded your project, they could view it, but couldn't alter any scripting or sprites in it? Like a lock kind of thing.

Option Two: (Maho's Idea) The option to Disable Remixes so anything wanted to be kept to yourself would be, for those who don't have java and need to download to view.

:Edit again (Im on a roll!):

I realized that with Option Two, people can just export art or whatever to somewhere on their computer, then reopen Scratch, import the file, and the feature's purpose is defeated.
Thus, we move back to my idea, though it may be hard to implement: Permission to alter scripting and sprites after Download. (An exporting/importing lock)

:edit AGAIN:

What if the download link appeared only to people whose computers didn't have java? Then Java-less members can download and view projects, and those who have it can view online and not steal our lovely sprites.
The only issue I see with that is that some projects work better downloaded than online.

Last edited by JuiceyBox (2009-07-08 10:00:11)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/Kyasae-san/spongebobpatrickblink.gif

#2 2009-07-06 18:02:06

The-Whiz
Scratcher

Re: Permission to Download

Good idea.

#3 2009-07-06 18:24:03

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

JuiceyBox wrote:

Seeing how I can name quite a few people on Scratch who have no problem downloading and stealing art or music from others' projects, I think it would be nice to have the option to allow downloading on a project or not when we post it to the website. That way, sprites or music that we wanted to keep for ourselves wouldn't be taken by others, and projects we wanted to share could be.

But wouldn't the option to refuse download be against Scratch's motto to imagine, program, and share? Honestly, if I didn't want other people taking the art and music form my projects, I would post my projects on my own personal site and set my own Creative Commons/copyright license or not upload my project to the Scratch website at all.

It's not to say I don't understand: I've been the victim of art theft a couple of times, and getting art and music thieves to stop can be stressful. But refusing download isn't really the way to go if one doesn't want people ripping art and music from Scratch projects.

Perhaps a better option will be a way to embed some kind of signature or identifier in images and music from other projects: that way, someone can still track down the original project a sprite image or music came from.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#4 2009-07-06 18:36:45

The-Whiz
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

JuiceyBox wrote:

But wouldn't the option to refuse download be against Scratch's motto to imagine, program, and share? Honestly, if I didn't want other people taking the art and music form my projects, I would post my projects on my own personal site and set my own Creative Commons/copyright license or not upload my project to the Scratch website at all.

It's not to say I don't understand: I've been the victim of art theft a couple of times, and getting art and music thieves to stop can be stressful. But refusing download isn't really the way to go if one doesn't want people ripping art and music from Scratch projects.

Perhaps a better option will be a way to embed some kind of signature or identifier in images and music from other projects: that way, someone can still track down the original project a sprite image or music came from.

I know they do that with blocks...

I still do think it is a good idea; I made a four minute long song in GarageBand, and I am afraid to post a project with this song included for fear that someone would take it and use it in their projects and say they made it. Some people spend a lot of time doing making music and sprites, and I, for one, would not want to have them taken.

If, however, the person taking sprites or music gives a reasonable amount of credit, it is ok.

But I understand that the point of Scratch is Imagine, Program, Share, but sometimes people need to Imagine by themselves and make their own sprites or music instead of taking someone else's without giving credit.

#5 2009-07-07 02:38:57

filo5
Scratcher

JuiceyBox wrote:

Please, it's more like those Fight Against Web Pirates thing. Let Scratch be free from copyright and intellectual property as long you give a credit, and the auto-credit feature gives ability to track projects back to the first project.
It reminds me about the time when on each DVD was included a short ad about "movie piracy". Those slogans were "Downloading pirated from Internet is a theft. Theft is a crime.". We don't want to have those here, right?

Converting my Scratch projects to Python!

#6 2009-07-07 02:41:38

norberts
Scratcher

JuiceyBox wrote:

I don't agree. Where would I get my music and sprites from then?

Coming soon: Super Hero RPG - Based off the forum game.
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/Ultratronbot/SuperHeroRPGbanner2.jpg

#7 2009-07-07 02:47:18

filo5
Scratcher

The-Whiz wrote:

I still do think it is a good idea; I made a four minute long song in GarageBand, and I am afraid to post a project with this song included for fear that someone would take it and use it in their projects and say they made it. Some people spend a lot of time doing making music and sprites, and I, for one, would not want to have them taken.

If, however, the person taking sprites or music gives a reasonable amount of credit, it is ok.

But I understand that the point of Scratch is Imagine, Program, Share, but sometimes people need to Imagine by themselves and make their own sprites or music instead of taking someone else's without giving credit.

You can cut the song into pieces, make a sprite for each piece and make a scripts to play the song, like: When flag clicked, play sound "Piece1.mp3" until done, then broadcast "Piece2" -> When I receive "Piece2", play sound "Piece2.mp3" until done, then broadcast "Piece3" -> (...)
The people who steal sometimes get stuck on those things, so they have to import your scripts, and guess what - yes, the auto-crediting system catches this and pulls out your name.

#8 2009-07-07 02:49:50

filo5
Scratcher

norberts wrote:

JuiceyBox wrote:

There are sources for stuff, not only Scratch, you can rip out sound from youtube if you know how.

#9 2009-07-07 02:54:49

norberts
Scratcher

I do but I just got a new computer and an in-computer microphone for ripping off stu- I mean recording stuff is such a drag to re-install.

#10 2009-07-07 15:15:18

JuiceyBox
Scratcher

norberts wrote:

JuiceyBox wrote:

Umm, your own sources? Some people work hard to find songs or mix their own, or draw their own drawing, just to have someone steal and colour over them.
And this is an OPTION. If not everyone chose to make their project un-downloadable, then you would be fine continuing to take others' things. -_-

#11 2009-07-07 15:16:44

JuiceyBox
Scratcher

filo5 wrote:

The-Whiz wrote:

You can cut the song into pieces, make a sprite for each piece and make a scripts to play the song, like: When flag clicked, play sound "Piece1.mp3" until done, then broadcast "Piece2" -> When I receive "Piece2", play sound "Piece2.mp3" until done, then broadcast "Piece3" -> (...)
The people who steal sometimes get stuck on those things, so they have to import your scripts, and guess what - yes, the auto-crediting system catches this and pulls out your name.

Using that method seems tedious. And it's not that hard to crack. I've figured it out before.

#12 2009-07-07 15:24:47

JuiceyBox
Scratcher

filo5 wrote:

JuiceyBox wrote:

Please, it's more like those Fight Against Web Pirates thing. Let Scratch be free from copyright and intellectual property as long you give a credit, and the auto-credit feature gives ability to track projects back to the first project.
It reminds me about the time when on each DVD was included a short ad about "movie piracy". Those slogans were "Downloading pirated from Internet is a theft. Theft is a crime.". We don't want to have those here, right?

*Sorry for the triple post xD*
Sorry, but you're contradicting your point there. Our "piracy" wouldn't be an issue if we could choose to let others download our projects or not. OUR projects. OUR ideas. OUR sprites. And I realize that the point of Scratch is to Create, Imagine, and Share, but that's the problem: Lots of Scratchers aren't doing that. They're not creating or imagining, they're taking other peoples' ideas, creations and hard work and saying that they belong to them. It's not right. I honestly downright dislike anyone who thinks they can just steal and get away with it.
Yes, I know that there's an auto-crediting system, but what difference does it make? I barely ever go back to the original project unless it's a shameless colour-over or edit of someone's art that I can see right there. Plenty of people fall for it, you know. There are younger people on this site who don't bother to click the link to the original project.

#13 2009-07-07 15:30:46

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

obviously norbert was joking
he makes his own sprites
I help him sometimes too

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#14 2009-07-07 16:41:37

MahoAshley
Scratcher

I thought about this once, but really i learned its not such a good idea.

Being an artist ( and a good one at that ) almost everyday i get on scratch i find one person tracing/coloring over/stealing my art. Yes its stressful but if you disable downloads, people whose java doesn't work on the internet and have to download to view would lose out on being able to view projects ( I'm not sure if someone said that above i have a headache and didn't feel like reading all the posts  x_x ).
Also someone might want to download to look at scripting, ( ex: you did something really cool with script and someone wanted to see how you did it to get ideas ) wouldn't be able to, and there not really doing any harm.

Therefore, me and karionesukie ( we've like had this idea for a long time xD ) both were thinking and maybe disabling remix feature would be a better suggestion to the scratch team.

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv61/HayuunSan/TRUUUFLESSS.pnghttp://internetometer.com/imagesmall/5168.png

#15 2009-07-07 18:16:49

pinochio
Scratcher

MahoAshley wrote:

Being an artist ( and a good one at that ) almost everyday i get on scratch i find one person tracing/coloring over/stealing my art. Yes its stressful but if you disable downloads, people whose java doesn't work on the internet and have to download to view would lose out on being able to view projects ( I'm not sure if someone said that above i have a headache and didn't feel like reading all the posts  x_x ).
Also someone might want to download to look at scripting, ( ex: you did something really cool with script and someone wanted to see how you did it to get ideas ) wouldn't be able to, and there not really doing any harm.

Therefore, me and karionesukie ( we've like had this idea for a long time xD ) both were thinking and maybe disabling remix feature would be a better suggestion to the scratch team.

i dont think he means disabling downloading, disabling remix would be a good idea but then again there are many remix projects like add blabla to blablas grave. mabye permission to remix.  anotehr problem: when people download they can just rip your art and save it as a sprite, so it wouldnt show as a remix

Flat Out G

#16 2009-07-07 18:28:24

HopeD
Scratcher

That's a great idea! Sure it'd be a little selfish, but it'd prevent vulgar remixes and stuff, good thought  smile  But I can't exactly agree with the music keeping, if you didn't make it yourself, don't keep it to yourself.

#17 2009-07-07 19:15:31

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

MahoAshley wrote:

Hmm, I like the disabling remix feature. Maybe there could be the option for a no-derivative Creative Common License so people can still download and see the scripts, but not alter or export anything.

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#18 2009-07-07 19:22:02

norberts
Scratcher

Blade-Edge wrote:

obviously norbert was joking
he makes his own sprites
I help him sometimes too

I was about to say this but I see you've done it for me. I don't make my own sound effects though, I download em from a sound effects site.

#19 2009-07-07 21:41:15

JuiceyBox
Scratcher

OKAY NEW IDEA:
How about and option that lets you change things a bit so that, when people downloaded your project, they could view it, but couldn't alter any scripting or sprites in it? Like a lock kind of thing.

#20 2009-07-07 22:01:27

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

JuiceyBox wrote:

OKAY NEW IDEA:
How about and option that lets you change things a bit so that, when people downloaded your project, they could view it, but couldn't alter any scripting or sprites in it? Like a lock kind of thing.

Like a read-only project that doesn't allow for remixing. I think that's what MahoAshley was advocating.

#21 2009-07-07 22:04:18

JuiceyBox
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

JuiceyBox wrote:

OKAY NEW IDEA:

Like a read-only project that doesn't allow for remixing. I think that's what MahoAshley was advocating.

Yes, but I then realized: Thieves need just export the art or whatever, then reopen Scratch and import it. Then we're defeated.

#22 2009-07-07 22:06:46

pinochio
Scratcher

what if someone needs help and they want people to edit scripts? so your new idea isnt that great.

Flat Out G

#23 2009-07-07 22:09:14

JuiceyBox
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

what if someone needs help and they want people to edit scripts? so your new idea isnt that great.

This would be an OPTION. Meaning that, in that scenario, that user would opt not to use it.

#24 2009-07-07 22:51:22

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

JuiceyBox wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

JuiceyBox wrote:

OKAY NEW IDEA:

Yes, but I then realized: Thieves need just export the art or whatever, then reopen Scratch and import it. Then we're defeated.

True, true. It's the reason why I don't my personal musical compositions in there as .wav files in fear of people exporting the music files and using them elsewhere.

That's why I suggested the option to have such a project with export locks (the inability to export sprites, images, and music from a project if the owner so chooses). I guess an import lock will be needed as well for the idea to work.  hmm

Which, sadly, even if this is done, someone can still use a microphone to copy music, use a screenshot to copy an image, copy a certain stack of blocks one by one and claim the code as theirs, etc. -_-

#25 2009-07-07 22:57:33

The-Whiz
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

JuiceyBox wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

True, true. It's the reason why I don't my personal musical compositions in there as .wav files in fear of people exporting the music files and using them elsewhere.

That's why I suggested the option to have such a project with export locks (the inability to export sprites, images, and music from a project if the owner so chooses). I guess an import lock will be needed as well for the idea to work.  hmm

Which, sadly, even if this is done, someone can still use a microphone to copy music, use a screenshot to copy an image, copy a certain stack of blocks one by one and claim the code as theirs, etc. -_-

Here is where a lockable download feature would be useful. If someone couldn't download it, they could still steal the sprites and images, but would have to program it themselves. If someone is lazy enough to steal someone else's sprites or music, they are probably too lazy to program it themself.

Board footer